PDA

View Full Version : high elves tournerment ?

wildkarrde0
30-11-2007, 10:20
hi i decided to collect some high elves got to say i love the dragon modal so i want an excuse to use it in some games.

here's the list i'm thinking about

Characters

Caradryan 175 with phonix guard

Dragon mage silver wand
ring of fury 400

mage lvl2
Jewel of dusk
Dispel scroll 170 on own or with spears or archers

core

10 Archers 110

18 Spearmen full command
Banner of arcane protection. 212

Special

17 man Phonix Guard full command
banner of sorcery
champion skein sliver 360

6 Dragon princes Full command
banner of Ellyrion
champion will either gem of courage or ammulet of light
255/260

rare

Bolt thrower 100

2 x great eagles 100

6 + D3 power dice and extra dice for dragon mage + ring or fury.
4 dispel 1 scroll plus magic resistances for main infrantry blocks

This leaves about 113 points to speand i can't decide to add some shadow warriors or to add a second bolt thrower?

This army is based around the phonix guard led force dragon princes would be converted to mounted phonix princes, greats eagles converted to be phonixes etc
Archers and spears to be trainee phonix guard just have had the magical seal yet.

The idea is that the fire base and mages thin down the enemy a little for the infrantry and knights to crush in combat with the dragon magefalling into this crush list as well

I think the reason for most the army rolls are standard elf tactics that i've had used on me before. Up to now play with most wood elves before before new list and a beastmen army lots of chariots so this wil be something new.

one question I have got though is what the current Gw rules on special characters in tournermants as I really like Cardrayn modal and his rules.

Comments and suggestions wellcome I haven't bought much yet so i'm willing to change the list a little but no swordmasters please they won't fit my theme thanks to all who reply.

wildkarrde0
02-12-2007, 06:58
I know this another high elf list and this a shamless bump but could I please have some feedback

TheDrugLordX
02-12-2007, 10:35
Just some thoughts:

*The Dragon Mage uses 2 (!!) hero slots, meaning you currently have a hero too many in your list. I would drop Caradryan since I'm not a fan of special characters. I believe in making my own personal army and fluff:)

*If you can't choose between a mage and a fighting character, you could consider adding a noble with the Gem of Radiant Hoeth. With the bear's anger he truly becomes a beast.

*The spearmen is only allowed a banner worth up to 25pts. The banner you have currently choosen for them is 45pts so that's an illegal choice.

*Never really liked archers, I still think they're overpriced. Combined with the points saved on a character I would add another unit of spearmen.

*Your unit of Pheonix guard look a little costly, I urge you not to put that many points in one unit, but that's your decision. White Lions have never failed me, so if you find the place you could make the pheonix guard unit smaller and add a unit of white lions, or a chariot could also be a powerful addition.

Cheers

grhino
02-12-2007, 10:44
It's a 2000 point army... so he has just enough characters slots filled.

Aslo I do not agree about the points value in one unit. You should also take into account what that unit is capable of, and phoenix guard with their 4+ ward save are very good. I even think about getting a unit like that after filling my core slots for fielding a 7000 point army (only 3 more to go...)

wildkarrde0
02-12-2007, 11:51
Thanks to grhino for mentioning the characters the banner on the spears is only 25 points I just check my army book anyone have some answers to the questions I have posed

CHOOBER SNIPES
03-12-2007, 01:19
PG will be good against the chariots cus they get the 4+ ward which is a better save than most can get vs. S5. anyway, that unit size is good, u cant hav them too small because then u can break them, and thats a lot of pts to lose getting run down. go for static res with PG cus theyre durable (for elves) but cant dish it out lik SM and WL. SM are killy for res and WL are stubborn so res dont matter, but PG are a block unit. DP's are great, but id say keep each unit to a minimum, lik 5 DP's, and MAYB a banner of ellyrion, but have more units. DP's hav so many attacks its better to get more units than hav one "souped up" unit. for example, my center of 21 spears with a noble was killing a dwarf unit, but 2 units were coming in at opposite flanks. my SM's were locked with some ironbreakers (they were winning:evilgrin:) and my other spears were in a long drawn out combat with dwarf warriors. i had 2 units of bare minimum DP's however (total 300 pts) and one unit charged the rear of the unit of 20 warriors converging on flank of first spear unit. the second hit the other unit, some hammerers. hammerers opted for great weapons, and apparently didnt realize that the DP's hit so hard, they hammered (lol sry) the hammerers killing 5.the the warriors at other fight lost 4, and fled! this might hav been a bad roll, but i ran down the stunties and took out his lord in this unit. 150 pts takes out at least lik 400 pts. then these guys overran into hammerers, and next turn, it was like Asuryan decided to help us out. long story short, while one battle went on, i won every other one that turn. the DP's finished off the hammerers (they were stuck with GW so only 5+ save), the SM's won, and the spears won. long story short (jeez why couldnt this noob hav just said this in the first place?...:p) the DP's mobility and hitting power means that even "basic" units hav great potential, and therefore many units as opposed to few "good" ones is more effective. very sry for such a long post tho (insert sheepish look here). other than that list looks good, mayb try 21 spears, u can deploy 5x4 with one on back or 7X3 depending what u wany,killy or res. anyway list looks good, hope this helps if ur eyes arent still bleeding from reading this post

fubukii
03-12-2007, 03:41
id reconmend at least 20 phoenix guard probably 24 to be safe, this way you have one dam hard to kill block of elves (5+ 4+ vs bows 4+ ward vs all others) And the unit can even take charges from the strongest of things ( 2 chaos khorne chariots charge em for example fo roughly 9 impact 7 wounds kill 3ish, then 3 wounds from the warriors 1 goes trhough maybe 1 more from the horses so roughly 5 total) and you will start at +5 id also suggest a warbanner for the unit :) since they all about static rez (battle banner if you want to be that guy!)

highelfmage
03-12-2007, 03:51
drop caradryan and get a bsb with gw and 2+ armor. also i would drop a sing dp and get a unit of 5 dp no command and spend the rest points on what is needed.

wildkarrde0
04-12-2007, 16:03
I think I will drop the musican and drakemaster the banner is much too useful to be droped and I prefer 6 in knights units must be a throw back from old slannesh army from that unit and increase the phonix guard to 20 I still would like some surgestions on what to spend the remain 100 or so points on

wildkarrde0
07-12-2007, 17:59
ok done some thinking and re-pointing

wondereing what peoples views will be now

Characters

Caradryan 175
with phonix guard

Dragon mage
silver wand
ring of fury 400

mage lvl2
Jewel of dusk
Dispel scroll 170
on own or with spears or archers

core

10 Archers 110

21 Spearmen full command
Banner of arcane protection. 239

Special

19 man Phonix Guard full command
banner of sorcery
champion skein sliver 390

6 Dragon princes
stanard
banner of Ellyrion 215

rare

2x Bolt thrower 200

2 x great eagles 100

total 1999

6 + D3 power dice and extra dice for dragon mage + ring or fury.
4 dispel 1 scroll plus magic resistances for main infrantry blocks

comments and is caradryan legal for a GW tournerment

Eltharan
08-12-2007, 17:36
To the best of my knowledge all special characters are legal in GW tournaments. In fact from what I'm reading, there are pretty high expectations to see Teclis in some of the GT armies. And hell, if teclis is legal, you can bet Caradryan is, haha.

wildkarrde0
08-12-2007, 18:28
cheers i couldn't find it in the GT stuff Teclis is just wrong but i see why he would be used in the GT any comments on the list should I have some shadow warriors in there?

brambleten
08-12-2007, 19:32
is the dragon mage lvl 2?
nice to see a list based around the Phoenix Guard

wildkarrde0
09-12-2007, 15:25
doh missed that cheers regigging the list as I type

wildkarrde0
09-12-2007, 15:45
Characters

Caradryan 175
with phonix guard