PDA

View Full Version : Local Urban Legends...

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 02:59
Does anybody have any local urban legends that used to (or maybe still do) scare you?

Near where I live is an abandoned orphanage. I think it has since been renovated and used for something else, but when I was a kid, there was a local legend that one of the nurses/supervisors in the orphanage had gone insane, and if you went to the main building at 1:04am on a Sunday morning, the ghost of the nurse would chase you through the halls. Of course, being a kid with a bedtime of 8pm, I never got to try this one out, but it was still something spooky to chat about while having a camp out in the backyard.

Penitent
16-09-2005, 03:05
Years ago, I had a best friend who always worked at a particular summer camp. One year, the kids were particularly rowdy and unpleasant, but also a bit naive, so my friend and the other counselors concocted a tale about a local creature called the tree cow. It was supposed to be a tree-dwelling cow, with razor sharp talons and teeth, stealthy and agile in its arboreal environment. It left no sign of its passing until, in the blink of an eye, it would descend upon unsuspecting humans, its udder flailing violently.

Of course, the kids scoffed. Until they had to walk back to their cabins at night. Then, they travelled in packs, jumping at every sound. Silly middle schoolers.

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 03:07
Hah, sounds like a drop bear :p

starlight
16-09-2005, 03:08
Victoria BC has *many* ghostly legends, far too numerous to list here. In addition we have a local sea monster Caddy (a Cadborosaurous - named for Cadboro Bay)

:0)
16-09-2005, 03:24
I used to be afraid of the troll under the Fremont bridge. :(

http://www.silentblue.net/mtarchives/images/071%20The%20Fremont%20Troll.jpg

Kiro
16-09-2005, 03:25
When I used to live in the Philippines, my friends always told the tale of the "white lady" - a ghost that would come out and eat children. I never saw, or heard this white lady, but I did see some weird stuff while I was there...

Incidentally, after moving to England, I now see the White Lady on a daily basis, in many forms! :p

starlight
16-09-2005, 03:32
I used to be afraid of the troll under the Fremont bridge.

And now you *are* the troll under the Fremont Bridge. :eek: :eek:

(or at least a striking family resemblance :D )

:p

<runs>

Penitent
16-09-2005, 03:34
Hah, sounds like a drop bear :p

Alright, I simply *must* know: what the devil is a drop bear?

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 03:54
It's like a cross between a koala and a wolverine. It's very cranky and territorial, and when somebody walks underneath its tree, it will drop onto their heads (or try to) and attack them with its teeth and claws, much like a magpie will swoop at you during nesting season.

People like to give them all sorts of supernatural abilities, but all that's mostly crap. I've just given you their mundane description :)

starlight
16-09-2005, 04:00
...very cranky and territorial...and a wolverine...it will drop onto their heads (or try to) and attack them with its teeth and claws

:eek: :eek: Freaking run and hide! :eek: :eek:

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 04:02
Yeah no good. We're constantly warning tourists against them, but nobody listens.

Wiseman
16-09-2005, 04:17
drop bears are big white bears native to australia that attack people from trees, they drop down from above, pretty scary really, they are most common in south australia, though even there the black drop bear is a rare site, though extremelly aggressive

Kiro
16-09-2005, 04:19
You guys are twisted :p

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 04:24
You guys are twisted :p

Read Diddimz's sig, the word is 'gifted' ;)

Kordos
16-09-2005, 05:02
ahh the good old drop bears and hoop snakes, used to get all the exchange students totally razzed up when we went bushwalking to show them natvie australia

16-09-2005, 05:08
Not dealing with ghosts or anything but, Dubuque, IA seems to have some pretty sick legends.

The crime rate is pretty low, the police are used more as a revenue generating force than a serve and protect, so when something bad does happen, it shows. As in, murders rarely get solved, luckily they rarely ever occur. But there's a common thread in dissapearances.

A teenage girl went missing a few years ago from a bar, she is still missing, the two brothers that were suspects never went to trial, and it is rumored she is buried in a house that is even given a specific address by residents, but the police can't search because of lack of evidence for a search warrant.

Another person who was murdered was supposedly buried underneath a hotel pool which my family always stayed at when visiting, until it was recently demolished and they determined there was no body.

Another woman was murdered years back, no one ever convicted, but they never even tried to hide the body.

A statue, whose history is full of typical small town stupidity, was also supposedly overturned and buried by an angry mob.

So, evidently, the city has some obsession with people and objects being buried.

People are so paranoid that when construction crews start projects by digging, they call the news stations and police to ask if they are searching for a body.

Delicious Soy
16-09-2005, 05:46
Well in Capbelltown we have the legend of Fisher's Ghost, one of the few instances of supernatural activity being mentioned in court. Now its just a tourist attraction and the mascot of just about every local sport team. Of course why anyone would want to holiday in Western Sydney suburbia is beyond me.

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 05:48
So what's the story behind Fisher's Ghost?

Delicious Soy
16-09-2005, 06:02
Basically this guy Fisher was murdered for his property, but the body (and one assumes, the evidence to convict the perpetrator) could not be found. Until one night a man on is way home saw the Ghost of Mr Fisher sitting on a bridge pointing into the distance. Where the body was later found. Justice done the ghost shuffles off to some well earned rest.

Alco Engineer
16-09-2005, 06:56
There was this toilet block in Armidale NSW that my Fiance's Mum warned me about where if you park your car back end first in the carpark outside at night it was an invitation for the gay men in the area.....Oh hang on....that's not an Urban Legend.

what the devil is a drop bear?

For those interested in Drop Bear search through "How DO you feel about Aussies Thread.

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 07:33
There's a graveyard in Brisbane (Toowong) that has a baby's grave in it. There is a legend that if you park your car by it at night, it will roll uphill.

I haven't tried this one either, but I'm thinking it's an optical illusion. My brother swears by it though...

polymphus
16-09-2005, 09:28
My old house in Dunedin (New Zealand, not Florida) was supposedly(Sp?) haunted and I swear I saw some weird stuff in that house. Most freaky was the silhoutte of a woman standing behind me in the bathroom mirror :eek: I'm not making this up. There is seriously something creepy in that house.

Lord Lucifer
16-09-2005, 10:11
I'm not making this up. There is seriously something creepy in that house.
Other than you? :p

I don't really recall any urban legends around my part, but down in... damn, where was it, mount Tarawera?
The Ghost Waka that preceded the eruption that destroyed the Pink and White Terraces, and buried the town, is an interesting story. Ill omen, the Waka

Freak Ona Leash
16-09-2005, 10:23
Hm, well by the l;ake in my home town (West Irondequoit, suburb of Rochester) there is the story of the White Lady. UIt goes that on Halloween night, here dauhghter went out on a date with her boyfriend./ The boyfriend raped and murdered her. The mother was wracked with grief over this and now goes around the woods and lake, with her ghost dogs lookinf for her daughter. Another version says any young male with his girl-friend that is in your way gets offed. Oh, and she dresses in white. Some people swear this is true, but most sane people just say its a story mommys and daddys made up so their kids dont go around haivng under-age sex all over the place. Unsuprisingly, it didnt work.

hairyman
16-09-2005, 10:23
My parents live in t'countryside, near a place called Stewarton in Scotland. There's local stories of a Beast on the loose... descriptions range from it being an angry fox, a lost lynx to an escaped panther. Apparently a local gamekeeper (who's well known for liking a drink....) saw a large cat like creature feasting on livestock, and there's been mauled animals and curious tracks found in the area for the last couple of years.

Nobody sober has actually seen anything, though....

The boyz
16-09-2005, 10:50
Our village graveyard is ment to be haunted, but cant really be arsed to go down there at night and check it out(to scared).

Adlan
16-09-2005, 11:12
There is Black Shuck, a big ghostly dog native the the villages of the north norfolk coast. Thoguh depending on which family you come from he can be a good or bad omen.
Somtime he will lead people to their deaths, over cliffs or into wells, or just frighten them to death. And others he will lead them to saftey, help them find lost children or livestock, or even attack footpads and highway men.

All depnding on which family you are in, and what stories you are told when you are little. I remember being told of my great great great uncle charlie, who was lost and he was guided by black shuck to my great great great aunt liz's house.

I have never seen black shuck though

Yodhrin
16-09-2005, 11:22
I live in Edinburgh, this place is rife with ghost stories and urban legends.

Just a quick note for anyone daft like me: Seances in spooky graveyards while a bit drunk and very stoned are a BAD IDEA. :p

Jedi152
16-09-2005, 11:32
In Sandiacre, Nottingham, where my parents live there is a black grave with a white skull and crossbones on it (this isn't the legend, i've seen it on many occasions), and legends states that the guy buried there was a pirate/thief/general miscreant.

It's also said that if you walk round the church seven times, you will see the ghost of the man leaping to his death from the tower.

Even to this day i have no idea why an old grave would be marked with a white skull and crossbones... :confused:

I live in Edinburgh, this place is rife with ghost stories and urban legends.Have you ever been to the vaults?

ScouserInExile
16-09-2005, 13:43
There's a legend in Liverpool about a mysterious football team that play in blue. The rumour goes that they are a top-flight team, yet no-one has ever seen them win anything. Weird!

vforvenator
16-09-2005, 13:58
Well that's football for you. :wtf:
No urban legends where I am now, but around my extended family's terrtitory in Galway, Ireland, there's mcuh trad faery lore, so strong that some still actually believe in Leprechauns (or Luchourpains, Lubber-kin etc), or so they swear. My mother claimed the night before she went there for the first time, she dreamed of a tall, tapering hill surrounded by a circle of trees, with little guys dressed like peasants running in and out of doors in the front of it with bottles of soup, and arriving the next day saw an exact, distinctive hill like that directly opposite my Grandmother's house.
Instances of poltergiest-like activity in the area over the years have been ascribed to leprechauns.

Xhalax
16-09-2005, 14:02
Although i was never scared...there was a local legend of a ghost that's said to haunt the manor that was about a mile from the village I used to live in.
It was said that when she appeared there was going to be a death in the Lord's family.

Weither it's true or not, I'm unsure. But that's the word that goes around.

Hywel
16-09-2005, 15:48
Unfortunately, Newport has no need of urban legends, we have the local newspaper. Typhoid outbreaks, tramps getting torched alive, dismembered bodies in the woods - its all there!

Luke
16-09-2005, 16:32
where to begin. years of drunken inbreeding has led to a slightyly unhinged population in the midlands area, and numerous urban legends and actual true stories have sprung up over the years.

Atherstone: The devils cave. those born within the last 2 decades will never really have experienced it but it still talked of to this day. THE STORY: it is a hidden cave up the woods where the davil is rumoured to sit inside and lure poeple in to their deaths. THE FACTS: the devils cave was a large and ancient tree, the roots of which had become exposed as the earth crumbled away, leaving a small hollow underneath. the tree was deemed too dangerous and cut down in the early 90's.

Atherstone: The bodies in the canal. Nowdays rumoured yto be false, but when it happened i can tell you it was very real. sometime in 1993 a young lad went missing and was presumed to have jumped in the canal. a dredger was sent out to search for his body. they didnt find him, however they did find a total of 5 other bodies in the stretch of canal between tamworth and nuneaton.

Heather: The garage owners son: Possibly true. the story goes that abuot 5 years ago a young bloke was refused a part in his fathers business (a garage) so one night he drank a load of petrol and drenched the garage as well, setting fir to himself and the business. he then ran, on fire, screaming abuot a mile down throiugh the lanes and into heather where he died in some guys garden. apparently there was a trail of burnt body parts for the whole distance, including his jaw which was found welded to the concrete.

Atherstone: The guy that was killed by my house :D. The STORY: a bloke was hit by an express train and he exploded, lodging his skull in the fence behind my house. THE TRUTH: it wasnt an express train, it was a freight train.

WARTON: The beast of warton. seen by many people over the last 10 years, rumoured to be a large black cat of some description. *yawns*

Heather: in the graveyard there is an angel statue in the "baby" section. at night, if you touch its arm 3 times, it will turn its head and look at you. i suspect this is probably just a myth.

Leicestershire: The lane stalker. the numerous country lanes around leicestershire are rumoured to be patrolled by an escaped mental patient who moves large fallen tree branches onto the road. when people stop to move it, he assaults them in various ways. THIS IS TRUE! about 3 women were raped by him 4 years ago, but they never caught him.

nurgle_boy
16-09-2005, 16:35
eh, theres nothing really down here in bath, although my nan was haunted... by a pervert no less... followed here around, breathing on her neck.

thats all i can remember of what she said, but i think it was one fo her grandparents...

my old house was haunted, the lights went on and of on their own, switches and all.
when i used to tak about it, the lights would flicker as well.
also had a bit of the garden at the end, that was completely overgrown, and there was never anything alive there... all seemed to die, or get killed... frogs and all...
it was behind an old greenhouse as well...
i also had a few hallucinations there, as well as sieries of nightmares..

could there be something going on there? who knows...

if anyone from bath knows anything (say, get over here bubble ghost!) that i dont, please add. itd be ncie to know some of the cities locsal knowladge..

polymphus
16-09-2005, 23:12
There is Black Shuck

So that's where the Darkness got the idea from...

The pestilent 1
17-09-2005, 00:19
My parents live in t'countryside, near a place called Stewarton in Scotland. There's local stories of a Beast on the loose... descriptions range from it being an angry fox, a lost lynx to an escaped panther. Apparently a local gamekeeper (who's well known for liking a drink....) saw a large cat like creature feasting on livestock, and there's been mauled animals and curious tracks found in the area for the last couple of years.

Nobody sober has actually seen anything, though....

my dad hit a Panther in the lorry once (Albeit a fairly small, dead one -having already been hit by somthing)

VanHel
17-09-2005, 01:32
Well, here in Ottumwa, Iowa we have a place thats near us called Mars Hill. Look it up online.

LordPomposity
17-09-2005, 01:34
We of course have the Jersey Devil in New Jersey. Nonsense about a winged minotaur that haunts the pinelands, with some 2000 'sightings' spread over the last 260 years.

Satan Dingo 420
17-09-2005, 06:57
There was "La Llorona," an old ghost story from my hometown of El Paso, TX. During one of the numerous wars in Old Mexico, a band of soldiers were charged with killing the male children of several villages along the Rio Grande. One mother took it upon herself to kill her young sons herself by drowning them in the river, rather than subject them to the mutilations perpetrated by the soldiers. As it turns out, the band of soldiers was ambushed and slaughtered by a group of freedom fighters just before they reached the woman's village. The woman threw herself into the river out of sheer grief at her folly. The legend is that you will hear her calling to her dead children when the wind starts whipping up around the river. You might even see the shape of a woman in a black shroud walking along the banks of the river.

I've never seen it, but my grandmother lives about 100 yards from the Rio Grande. She says that she has seen La Llorona as well as many other strange and terrible things in the 60+ years she has lived there.

There's also alot of really weird **** that I've personally experienced, both there and in Syracuse, NY. But right now I'm tired of typing and need to go refill my beer...

Lostanddamned
17-09-2005, 07:46
In the woods about 100 yards from me right now in my lifetime there have been:

A murdered Vicar who was dismembered, put in carrier bags and thrown into a lake.

A Christmas Suicide who was found about 3 weeks later

8/9 Rapes in the last 5 years.

And every 2 weeks the police try and arrest the crack dealers in there and fail miserably.

Also this dumb bunch of kids made a 7ft tall Blair witch sign and hoisted it into a tree on halloween. (I have no idea who they were...)

VanHel
19-09-2005, 05:13
Sorry bout the thread necromancy, but I just found out that once again, Ted Nugent is going to be hunting around my home town. If thats not something to be afraid of, then I don't know what is.

New Cult King
19-09-2005, 05:40
I've heard of La Llorona... that's a sad story...

Rik Valdis
19-09-2005, 10:02
There is Black Shuck, a big ghostly dog native the the villages of the north norfolk coast. Thoguh depending on which family you come from he can be a good or bad omen.
Somtime he will lead people to their deaths, over cliffs or into wells, or just frighten them to death. And others he will lead them to saftey, help them find lost children or livestock, or even attack footpads and highway men.

All depnding on which family you are in, and what stories you are told when you are little. I remember being told of my great great great uncle charlie, who was lost and he was guided by black shuck to my great great great aunt liz's house.
According to my Dad, who is from North Walsham, if you see Black Shuck then a loved one (ore you) are going to die. Any stories of Black Shuck saving someone are lies, the dog is evil.

Around where I live (on the edge of the fens) there are loads of stories of different big cats. The most famous sighting was in a village called Wansford where someone saw a jaguar (they thought) floating down the river under a bridge on a log. While i must point out that this bridge is near a pub there have been enough sightings for me to think that it is possible that at least some of them may be genuine.

I also remember being told that if I looked at a clock or watch between 12 mifnight and 12:01 I would die, killed by someone called the 'white lady' (seems to be a common name). I was about eiht when I was first told this and I don't think I have ever actually tested it. Thats something for me to do tonight, if I don't post anything tommorow then you know why.

Adlan
19-09-2005, 17:49
I have never met black shuck, But i've met people who have, most say he is evil, some say he is good. Is it possible there are two bacl shucks?

And I'm from edingthorpe, north of Northwalsham. I always supposed that black shuck was nutral and something long ago made him good or bad for certain families, Certainly most people see him as a bad omen, but my branch of the durrents have always Held him to be a sign of somthing important happening. wether it be a death or in uncle charlies case, a wedding.

Wisdom
19-09-2005, 18:08
We had the grey lady (probably still do). Found this
http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/riverdata.php
Shes at the top. Miss Mort.

We also had the farmers grave. Now we think its probably just the last upturned flag stone of an old stone wall but we used to think it was the grave of a farmer from centuries ago. The legend went that if you spat on his stone and span around 3 times he would rise. We all did it but never saw the ghost because we were running away so fast. Built a housing estate over it now. Hope he rises to give them hell

Luke
19-09-2005, 18:26
theres an urban legend up our way, if you go into mancetter, you wont get robbed.....

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 18:37
My old university is meant to be one of the most haunted places in New-england...Yeah well I was there for 4 years and nothing freaked me out.

Except one thing.

Since it is a military school you can usually get your hands on some nice gear if you know the right people. One night ( when Mars was really close to Earth ) a bunch of us were outside on the upper soccer pitch checking that red planet out through binoculars, eh more of a social thing. One guy brought a set of night-vision goggles with him.
Now, next to the pitch is "Hope cemetary" pretty old place, really big and somewhat freaky graveyard. I say freaky because more often then not you find entire families buried there. So there we are at night looking up at Mars when the lad with the night-vision starts calling out: "Check this out!"
We take turns using the night-vision, looking out over towards the cemetary. What I saw was what seemed to be a "lighter" patch over the cemetary. Yeah it doesn't sound scary but when everything else is dark and there is a slight luminesence coming from a grave-yard you get the chills.

Question was, how / why did night-vision pick that up?

Adlan
19-09-2005, 19:02
My guess would be corpse gas, heat from decomposing bodies or some such thing.

I asked my grandfather about black shuck, and apparently he is not the dog that helped uncle charlie. I hate it when I get things wrong. Black shuck has flaming red eyes, The dog that has helped my family dosn't and is smaller. Black shuck is apparently the size of a calf.

I am now quite intrested in this, am doing some research. as soon as my grandfather has finished watching telly I've got to get him to tell me about this dog.

And apparently black shuck has been here since the vikings.

nurgle_boy
19-09-2005, 19:17
hey, i got onto that site, and found a few for bath. didnt know this...

Admiral Phillip

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Late twentieth century
Further Comments: Phillip, the first governor of New South Wales, has been seen several times; always wearing the same black hat and long cloak.

Grey Lady

Date / Time: 25 December (butterfly seen), Grey Lady last seen 1975
Further Comments: An actress from the 1880's, this lady killed herself in the hotel when she discovered her husband had murdered her secret lover. Her last performance at the theatre was the night of her death, and there she wore a grey feather dress - the same clothing she still wears. A butterfly is also reported to haunt the theatre, manifesting briefly once a year.

Location: Bath - Area around Abbey Church, and other areas within the town centre
Date / Time: Twentieth century
Further Comments: The figure of a naked Roman soldier (how you tell without an uniform to assist you?) has apparently been seen running around the centre of the town. A police officer once gave chase, only to see the figure fade into the air.

Date / Time: 1868
Further Comments: The ghost in this building could have been mistaken for a real person, apart from the fact that it had two gapping holes where its eyes should have been.

thats not nice...

Old Servant

Date / Time: Unknown
Further Comments: This faithful servant now refuses to leave the house, suffering guilt for allowing two children to starve to death.

i used to live near this place! didnt know anything about it!

Inquisitor Engel
19-09-2005, 19:29
I've heard of La Llorona... that's a sad story...

La Llarona is also possibly the most disturbing visual image I can possibly imagine. A beautiful bodied woman with the head of a horse...

It's just a disturbing image, but then again, I suppose that's the point...

Anyone interested in this should check out the Weird N.J., U.S., and Texas books available. They're good fun to read and go from the downright weird to the strangely possible...

Reading Weird U.S. I discovered I've actually SEEN one of the things they talk about.

The drive between Shreveport, LA and Fayetteville, AR is a long one, and through it your drive through the town of Fouke. One day as I was driving across the new interstate 4 land bridge just north of Fouke, I saw a big hairy man running down the side.

Since it was late November, I assumed it was someone lost, wearing a Chewbacca or gorilla costume. The closer I got though, I realised that it didn't have normal human proportions. Miles from anywhere, and on a bridge, I just passed it by.

I'm not in the habit of EVER picking up hitchhikers, and even if it was a guy in a costume...

Apparently, there's a bigfoot-like monster that lives in the forests and swamps around Fouke. There's even a diner named after it. I was rather creeped out when I read it.

Luke
19-09-2005, 20:42
since theres a lot of ghost stories knocking around here, i thought id tell of something my brother and his mates heard one night.

they were sitting in a graveyard at about 12 midnight getting stoned, when suddenly they all heard a monkey type screaming floating on the breeze.

they never went back to that graveyard again.

Easy E
20-09-2005, 01:40
Minnesota is well know for its phantom..... Wait fo it.... Wait.... I know the suspense is killing you.... Kangaroos. Terrifying!

They are alos know for Large Black Panther sights. The local paper in my area reported it about 5 years ago. Black Panthers are not indigenous to Minnesota FYI.

Outlaw289
20-09-2005, 02:50
My town has had a suspected zombie encounter, as well as a forest monster. Ill elborate later

Baggers
20-09-2005, 11:55
The only urban legend of Notts I know is this one. I do not believe its true but it could be. If your of a weak dispostion I advise not reading this tale.

Once some plumbers were sent out to a house in Notts with blocked pipes. They do all the ususal sort of stuff to try and remove the blockage but nothing will move it including acid. So they decide to stick a camera down the tube to find the blockage. They eventually locate it and on the screen one of the guys notices what looks like a child dolls hand in the tube. So they remove the blockage and find it was not a doll, but an still born fetous that some one had flushed down the loo.

I have seen guys swear that this was ture, but somehow I do not think so.

And another one is that Nottingham is full of guns and drugs, yet I have never been offered drugs or shot at.

Anonymous
20-09-2005, 12:34
Where in Nottingham do you live, Baggers?

vforvenator
20-09-2005, 12:50
My town has had a suspected zombie encounter, as well as a forest monster. Ill elborate laterD'you live in South America, or rural China? I recall hearing of the 'still moving, dessicated sheep-corpse' victim of the El Chupacabra, or the 'vampire-robot-zombie' said to be repelled by garlic, briefly rumoured to be scouring a small town in China for children to eat, and causing people to panic buy garlic and keep their children indoors all the time.

Baggers
20-09-2005, 12:56
I live in Beeston,

vforvenator
20-09-2005, 13:01
My guess would be corpse gas, heat from decomposing bodies or some such thing.

I asked my grandfather about black shuck, and apparently he is not the dog that helped uncle charlie. I hate it when I get things wrong. Black shuck has flaming red eyes, The dog that has helped my family dosn't and is smaller. Black shuck is apparently the size of a calf.

I am now quite intrested in this, am doing some research. as soon as my grandfather has finished watching telly I've got to get him to tell me about this dog.

And apparently black shuck has been here since the vikings.Ghostly Baskerville-type dogs are quite a common foklore and Fortean phenomenon in the UK, many specific to the district or region: www.mysterymag.com/earthmysteries/index.php?theName=Black%20Dog%20Legends&page=category&subID=74

Lord-Warlock
20-09-2005, 14:02
D'you live in South America, or rural China? I recall hearing of the 'still moving, dessicated sheep-corpse' victim of the El Chupacabra, or the 'vampire-robot-zombie' said to be repelled by garlic, briefly rumoured to be scouring a small town in China for children to eat, and causing people to panic buy garlic and keep their children indoors all the time.

El Chupacabra reportedly tore the arm of a Mexican nun. For laughs I stole the concept and turned it into a race of Warp-travelling, semi-sentient 40K aliens... :p

Exterminatus
20-09-2005, 14:07
I live in Holland, and one suspicious urban legend persist here....

GW was a non - profit orginazation, who listened to their customers and tried to keep up with their demands. Also, GW did not sell their miniatures for ridiculous high prices. Whats more, people enjoyed walking in the stores and to purchase stuff, and have a chat with the staffers.

This was how GW was, can anyone confirm this for me?

Greetz,

EXTERMINATUS

nurgle_boy
20-09-2005, 14:51
I live in Holland, and one suspicious urban legend persist here....

GW was a non - profit orginazation, who listened to their customers and tried to keep up with their demands. Also, GW did not sell their miniatures for ridiculous high prices. Whats more, people enjoyed walking in the stores and to purchase stuff, and have a chat with the staffers.

how pleasantly siggable... if only mine wasnt full already...

Outlaw289
20-09-2005, 19:56
D'you live in South America, or rural China? I recall hearing of the 'still moving, dessicated sheep-corpse' victim of the El Chupacabra, or the 'vampire-robot-zombie' said to be repelled by garlic, briefly rumoured to be scouring a small town in China for children to eat, and causing people to panic buy garlic and keep their children indoors all the time.

No, but I wouldn't mind living in China.

I live in suburban New Jersey, in a town called Howell.

One day, near my neighborhood, there was a family who had grown very very ill, whom I kinda sorta knew (friend of a friend deal). They lived on a road named Easy Street, in a smallish house on a mostly quiet road surrounded by woods. The family, five people, had their house qurantined. On that same day, a bunch of white trucks with the old FEMA logo dumped a few orange barrels in a pond that neighbors a park at the end of my street.

Two days after that, the family died, and it was blamed on Meningitis. However, no mention of it was ever made in the papers or obituaries.

On the night of the day after that, the family was spotted again, trying to break down the window of a pharmacy (after they were declared dead, mind you). I was later told a police team of four officers in two vehicles as well as a black SUV with unknown federal agents responded. One officer who I knew through my brief tenure in the local Police Explorers program, who had responded to family's reapperance, disappeared after the incident. There was no cause given to his dissappearance.

It was rumored the entire family was shot, there bodies burned along with their home. That night and the next three days the road and woods were blocked off, patrolled by Army soldiers from a nearby army base (I believe it was Fort Monmouth). The house was destroyed, the surrounding area burnt to the ground, and no mention was ever made by the local media. At around the same time, the same FEMA trucks returned and dumped more chemicals in the pond where the barrels lay.

It was very very freaky and it had the whole town on edge. Weird.

Luke
20-09-2005, 20:03
more urban leg-ends:

back when i was in primary school, there was a legend that if you stared into a bird-poo on a leaf, you would be sucked into another dimension

also, that if you ate too many harvest bars you would turn into a squirrel.

Anonymous
20-09-2005, 20:22
I live in Beeston,

Beeston is tame. Go to Aspley, St. Annes or the Meadows. Enjoy the sights and sounds.

Baggers
20-09-2005, 21:15
Beeston is tame. Go to Aspley, St. Annes or the Meadows. Enjoy the sights and sounds.

yeah its true Beeston is tame.

New Cult King
20-09-2005, 21:42
Go to Aspley, St. Annes or the Meadows. Enjoy the sights and sounds.

Pardon my ignorance, but are these places in England? I would like to hear more if you feel like sharing?

vforvenator
21-09-2005, 17:03
I live in suburban New Jersey, in a town called Howell.
One day...
It was very very freaky and it had the whole town on edge. Weird.Does anybody have links for further details of this? Sorry if it seems like I don't believe you, but I don't. :evilgrin: