PDA

View Full Version : What type of Hobbyist are you?

Little Aaad
30-11-2007, 18:44
Just wanted to know what was more popular, really.

Gaebriel
30-11-2007, 18:53
I love researching the armies (specifically for historical games),

I love collecting the models,

I like playing the games,

I like building/converting the models a little less,

I dislike building boards and terrain,

I dislike painting the models a litte more.

In that order ;)

ChaosMaster
30-11-2007, 18:54
There was a great Standard Bearer column in White Dwarf from Jervis Johnson earlier this year on this topic, the one about "it's a craft hobby". I spoke with him about it at Baltimore Games Day in the US back in June. GW did a survey last year in a magazine in the UK. From that it turns out that about two out of three hobbyists are just that, hobbyists, who buy their models and then go home and have fun working on them, building, converting and painting. It turns out that the rabid gamers who have little interest in the models themselves or painting them are in the minority, they're just more visible and numerous inside the game stores. They're also probably more numerous on this forum, so I think you poll results are likely to be skewed by that.

For me, I like playing with the models mostly to get to show them off a bit and to see the fun combination of them with the scenery and my opponent's painted creations. For me, it is definitely a craft hobby and gaming is a way to share it with others. You can see pictures of some of my work, scenery, models and more, at the links in my signature.

The Dark One
30-11-2007, 18:58
1st building and converting
2nd gaming
3rd collecting
4th painting

Llew
30-11-2007, 19:02
As I age, I'm having trouble painting anymore, but that was the part I loved first. I enjoy the gaming a lot, although the ruleset and lack of clarity leaves something to be desired.

I love building terrain but hate having to assemble models from tons of fiddly bits of plastic. There is nothing less fun to me than having to scrape mold lines and trim sprue marks off of my models before they can be painted up decently.

Stella Cadente
30-11-2007, 20:15
well you haven't got my option, modeler, I prefer building and converting stuff
the Gaming sucks
the Painting sucks
so all thats left is modeling.

Khornies & milk
30-11-2007, 20:42
Modeller first and foremost.
I find great enjoyment in researching and test - building lists.
My 'Word' File is 65 pages long, and growing.

The least enjoyable part is painting, but that said I have 12K of minis and they are 95% painted.
It just occurred to me while typing that last bit, that I spend a lot of time not gleaning a lot of enjoyment from this hobby:p

SquishySquig
30-11-2007, 20:55
:skull: I really enjoy building stuff. I'm not overly good at it and my lack of patience can be a bit of a problem, but that's the part I enjoy the most. Then I like playing more than painting, but I love to have painted models and to play with painted models so that gives me a little more of a boost towards painting. But yeah the options in the poll aren't really ideal. :skull:

Little Aaad
30-11-2007, 21:10
Sorry, I kinda ment Building and Painting the Models and converting and doing the artistic side of the hobby, and then the gaming.

fwacho
30-11-2007, 21:13
I refuse to use an unpainted model and occasionally paint my freinds stuff so I don't have to look at an unpainted one while I game.

Zink
30-11-2007, 21:45
What Gabriel said suits me perfectly with the condition that I enjoy all of the aspects. Sadly my group has scattered so my time spent on hobbies is more like this.

Reading/reasearching 40%
Painting/converting 35%
Collecting 20%
Playing 5%

lanrak
01-12-2007, 01:24
Hi all.
Well to be fair I only model paint and convert so I have a army /force to play war games with.(And GW hobby games )
If I didnt play, I wouldnt bother with any other part of 'the hobby'.

TTFN
Lanrak.

Angelwing
01-12-2007, 02:09
I'm a collector and gamer foremost . Building/converting and painting are enjoyable when I'm in the mood. Having loads of small bits that need cleaning up is not good though!
Having said that, I never use unpainted models for gaming. I also use all my stuff for gaming, never display only.

Cirrus the Blue
01-12-2007, 02:20
I put in 'pure painter' but I still play the game every now and again.

- Cirrus

Ravenous
01-12-2007, 02:50
Im an equal mix of everything.

Gamer, Painter, Terrian builder, Tourny goer, and fluff tard.

What can I say, I enjoy everything about the hobby.

Glabro
01-12-2007, 03:43
Could people possibly make any MORE biased poll options? Itīs silly how people try to affect the results of the poll by the way they word the options. I refuse to vote.

Iīm mostly a gamer. However, I no longer consider unpainted models to be acceptable for play. I enjoy converting (this doesnīt include all other modelling, including clipping sprues, assembling etc), though.
Painting is something I find hard to start nowadays. However, that might be because I have history of burning out after speed-painting armies in too short a time, on the last day, so that itīs ready for whatever event itīs supposed to attend.

Harry
01-12-2007, 08:00
I am mostly a collector. But that has much to do with the fact that collecting does not take as much time as painting. I would love to be mostly a painter.

I love all the background so read lots and this greatly informs the collecting and the mixing and sorting minis into different armies.

I am increasingly starting to dabble with conversions.

I love building models and terrain when I get the time.

I have only recently started painting seriously and am enjoying getting stuff painted and improving my painting skills.
Check out my plog.

I have played a few games in the last 25 years and always enjoyed it. i have recently got involved in starting a club to try and play more often (and learn the rules a little better. :D) It seems to make sence of all the collecting.

But for me its mostly about the mini's and the background.

snurl
01-12-2007, 12:27
I collect figures so that I can paint them. From all sorts of time periods and games, but I have more GW figures than anything else.

Gaming has grown on me over the last few years, and gives me something to do with all of the figures after they are painted.

leonmallett
01-12-2007, 12:30
Gamer first and foremost, but I don't get to game that much. Painting and modeelling is a necessary step to gaming for me, rather than a pleasure.

Visionary
01-12-2007, 12:43
I just like glueing the models together because I'm bad at painting, gaming is being put aside a bit because I only win 1 in 40 games (actual odds).

Agrip. Varenus Denter
01-12-2007, 13:41
I really thought that the options were limited, but I went with the best choice, which was a bit of both. But for me, painting and gaming are only a part... there's fluff and research and all the rest.

Finnigan2004
01-12-2007, 13:42
What Gabriel said suits me perfectly with the condition that I enjoy all of the aspects. Sadly my group has scattered so my time spent on hobbies is more like this.

Reading/reasearching 40%
Painting/converting 35%
Collecting 20%
Playing 5%

I quoted Zink because what he writes is so close to me that it's almost like he read my mind first. I might spend slightly more time playing than he does, but it is limited to days that I make a fairly long journey out of my small town.

Easy E
01-12-2007, 14:52
Q: What type of Hobbyist am I?
A: The cheap kind.

I enjoy the craft side of the hobby the most.
I only seem to game when it is part of a campaign.

lord_blackfang
01-12-2007, 16:30
1st building and converting
2nd gaming
3rd collecting
4th painting

Same here!

(character limit, etc)

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 16:46
I love converting models, and I like to spend time on the base, but painting - well, sometimes I enjoy it (when I'm in the mood), but sometimes it's a chore, and I think it all depends on how I approach it. If I like a particular model a lot, I tend to enjoy painting it. If it's one of 30 rank and file models, it sometimes tough to get motivated. However, I convert and paint because I really like to play games, and I enjoy those games more when my army is nicely painted, based, and themed.

I also love to build terrain, although it's time consuming, and takes up lots of space. I think this is why, even though I would categorise myself as a WH fantasy player, what I really love is Mordheim, as it ties together everything I like about the hobby in the order that I like it. Converting and modelling? Check. Painting characterful minis? Check. Building cool terrain? Check. Playing games? Check (and of course, you can play more games of Mordheim in the same time it would take you to play a single game of WH fantasy)

Little Aaad
01-12-2007, 18:57
Could people possibly make any MORE biased poll options? Itīs silly how people try to affect the results of the poll by the way they word the options. I refuse to vote.

Iīm mostly a gamer. However, I no longer consider unpainted models to be acceptable for play. I enjoy converting (this doesnīt include all other modelling, including clipping sprues, assembling etc), though.
Painting is something I find hard to start nowadays. However, that might be because I have history of burning out after speed-painting armies in too short a time, on the last day, so that itīs ready for whatever event itīs supposed to attend.

Well actually no. I only used a poll to understand if the GW statistics were correct. 2/3 are painters. I think you might be slightly overreacting. Well I voted for gamer, because I spend much, much more time and enjoyment gaming.

Adept
01-12-2007, 19:13
I love painting the models, and would definitely do so (LotR, at least) if there was no game to use them with.

I love playing the game too. The most fun you can have with your pants on, I reckon.

Converting I'm not so fussed on. I'll do it I think it needs to be done, but rarely will I do it for the sake of it.

The boyz
01-12-2007, 19:18
I enjoy a healthy mix of both painting and gaming. Although, I dont play as much as what, I would like too.

I never used to be a big fan of painting. I used to prefer the whole cutting and gluing together of miniatures. But now, I cant seem to stand, the whole trimming off and tidying up of mould lines etc and gluing fidly bits together. I much prefer to paint miniatures now.

Khorghan
02-12-2007, 16:51
id say a healthy mix, but i think a side a lttle heavier on painting

Darnok
02-12-2007, 18:51
I'm mostly into converting and modelling,followed by (slow) painting, and enjoy a game every now and than. I don't really fit into one of the given poll options though...

GW did a survey last year in a magazine in the UK.

Hard to get a more biased sample than by that method. Whatever they "found out", it has nothing to say about the "average hobbyist".

Hena
02-12-2007, 19:11
I would be gamer. That's why I do the rest. However I do like convert and build (although I'm not very good at it). I enjoy painting from time to time (and think that I'm decent at it as well). And since my other hobbies include reading, I like background stories as well.

But in the end, the most enjoyable times have been on the battlefield. Thus I'm a gamer to this.

lokigod
02-12-2007, 19:12
I started this hobby for gaming, but it last 2 years or so have kept it up cause i like converting and painting so......

50% painting
30% converting
10% Colleccting
10% social and gaming

alexh
02-12-2007, 19:42
I voted for a healthy mix but in recent months, I have been doing a lot more painting than gaming.

Dwarf Supreme
03-12-2007, 17:58
I'm a gamer first. For me, all the other aspects of the hobby are pointless if I'm not going to get to use my minis in a game. For the most part I really do enjoy painting, especially when I see my minis on the battlefield or someone praises my paint job, but sometimes it seems like a chore, especially when I'm painting infantry stands for Epic. Also, I've never been all that interested in conversions and only mildly interested in terrain.

However, if you compare the time spent on the various activities, I'm more of a painter these days. It's easier for me to fit in 15 minutes of painting here and there, and, unfortunately, I can't game as often as I used to.

zak
03-12-2007, 21:36
I certainly buy far more than I will ever have time to paint. I have purchased the latest army box releases from WHFB since Dwarfs. I know I will never paint them all, but I keep on buying. I surely must be on GW's Xmas card list by now.

Jim
03-12-2007, 22:42
Unfortunately, I haven't done much of either in the last six months.

However I'm moving from my flat to a house in the new year so should be able to bagsy the spare room for toy soldiers - WOOT!

Hopefully I can then get some more painting done which always inspires me to get down to my local club to test out my shiny new things.

Jim

50th post - yay me!

Jedi152
04-12-2007, 08:23
The truth is that i haven't done either for a long time, i just seem to buy at the moment.

Woudschim
04-12-2007, 09:32
I think Warhammer is one of the most horrible wargames ever.

I do like the world, and the models, so I play Warhammer Roleplay and paint the miniatures, and occasionally I fight a Warmater battle.

Thommy H
04-12-2007, 16:51
For me, I like playing with the models mostly to get to show them off a bit

This describes me too. It's nice to give the little fellas a run out on the pitch now and then in hopes of actually winning a game, but deploying a brand new unit (which, what with my army being Chaos Dwarfs is invariably either a rare model, a conversion, or an unusual use of a well known figure) to face my opponents unpainted and/or proxied horde is a much better feeling than winning.

yabbadabba
04-12-2007, 17:03
I refuse to use an unpainted model and occasionally paint my freinds stuff so I don't have to look at an unpainted one while I game.

Hobby facist! :D

Frowbakk
04-12-2007, 18:28
I put down "pure painter", but that's not actually the case.

I love to convert miniatures, and putting something unique on the battlefield is what I live for. I have a unit of Tau Firewarriors all converted from different models to be different aliens.

But definitely more on the painter side as I never play a game unless the miniatures are painted. Not anywhere near Golden Demon standards, but I get so tired of having more colors painted on one of my models weapons than my opponent has on their entire miniature.

The last Apocalypse game I was in the organizers hadd all the unpainted models on one end of the table, and many a bare gray plastic Marine Chapter were there that day...

Little Aaad
31-01-2008, 17:33
So it is obvious that people like a mix of the two. This is quite interesting...

Glabro
01-02-2008, 00:07
Not this back from the grave again. I hate that "gAm34lYf" thing!

thinkerman
01-02-2008, 01:18
1.Building Converting
2.Painting
3.Gaming

theunwantedbeing
01-02-2008, 01:24
I voted for the last one simply to try to skew the results a bit.
I like both and it depends on my mood as to whether I want to game or paint or convert or whatever else......
Shame there isnt a "lazy" option as it takes me forever to do anything.

Sir_Turalyon
02-02-2008, 09:12
I am collector and convertor first, then a painter, then I happen to play games with my armies.

Easy E
02-02-2008, 10:00
What if you're a sculpter and scratchbuilder?

LordFulgrim
02-02-2008, 10:45
I switched from pure painter to all-rounder two times in my life but nowadays I'm really an all-rounder and enjoy every aspect of the hobby.