PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point High Elves..of Caledor, kind of

Caligula
30-11-2007, 21:06
Hey all. I've decided to start and theme somewhat around Caledor heavily for my High Elves, and have come up with this for a 1500 point list. Let me know what you think it could use, are there are still a few points left over and time for changes to be made.

Mage-
Level 2
Jewel of the Dusk
Dispel Scroll

Dragon Mage of Caledor-
Level 2
Guardian Phoenix
Silver Wand

15 Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

15 Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

10 Archers

Tiranoc Chariot

5 Dragon Princes of Caledor-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Drakemaster

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Comes in shy of 1500 points. Now, what do you think of it? What should I add/removed/change? Would a Noble be a better choice than the Level 2 Mage on foot?

Xzazzarai
30-11-2007, 21:27
I don't know about the Silver Wand on the Dragon mage. I'd give him Armour of caledor to increase his chances of be on the board for more than 2 turns. Even concentrated bowfire will make a totall mess of him.

Allso, you could remove a unit of spears and add a small SM unit.
But on the other hand, you might need your 2 ranked units, sience you allready got the hammers... Guesse it's a matter of playing style.

insomnia
30-11-2007, 22:06
Dragon mages cant use magicial armour so that would not be viable.

Silverwand as magic item for a dragonmage is wonderfull.

CHOOBER SNIPES
30-11-2007, 22:52
dragon mages can use magic armor, it says, magic items: any up to.......50 pts. ANY, but i dont think he can still cast with armor on so mayb not..... mayb drop archers and command on DP's to add five more DP's.

Caligula
30-11-2007, 23:00
Thanks for the advice! I'll look into making some of the changes you've suggested, and also look into dropping the Archers for something else. I do like their ability to thin out fast cavalry pretty nicely though, leaving the Bolt Throwers for hitting more solid targets when I need to.

I like the Silver Wand on the Dragon Mage a lot, and don't think that I'll add the Armour of Caledor to him, because I'm not so sure that it's a valid choice. Another fire spell? yes please!

I like the two blocks of Spearmen, simply because it gives me a few numbers to work with, and I'm pretty impressed with the new High Elf spear regiments in terms of ability.

Now, say at this point I didn't want to remove the archers and/or command from the DPs, what would suggest giving them in terms of a magical banner? Or perhaps an item for the Drakemaster?

Caligula
30-11-2007, 23:01
Oh, and also, would you stick with the Mage I have chosen, or go with a Noble for some more fighting ability?

SV_Harlequin
30-11-2007, 23:04
Dragon Mage cannot take Magic armour as he does not have the option for regular armour.

Though you can cast magic whilst wearing armour - this is for the benifit of lords/heroes that can become magic users like using the Asur Magic Item, or for Empire armies with that 1 suit of Magic Armour that a Wizard can wear.

Caligula
01-12-2007, 18:27
Okay, here's the list now as it stands in finished form

Dragon Mage of Caldedor-
Level 2
Guardian Phoenix
Silver Wand

Mage-
Level 2
Ring of Fury

15 High Elf Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

15 High Elf Spearmen-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Sentinel

10 High Elf Archers

Tiranoc Chariot

5 Dragon Princes-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Drakemaster

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL-1500pts.

Now, the only question I have remaining is should I drop the Ring of Fury on the Mage, give him the Jewel of the Dusk, and have 15 points left to give the Dragon Princes a magical stanard or magic item to the Drakemaster?

NightLord
02-12-2007, 05:24
In my opinion. A dragon mage is a waste of points... Teclis is just a few points more then a geared up dragon mage after all... However... Excluding that factor... Since they are awesome! =p I would recommend getting rid of spearman blocks and only taking archers... Then making the rest of your army mobile... Take more dragon princes... Give them banner of ellyrion.

grhino
02-12-2007, 10:51
You cannot compare Teclis (lvl 4, T2, extreme wizard) with a Dragon Mage (potentially stong in combat, level 1 or 2, T3, riding a terrorcausing, flying dragon). So I still think your final list is very solid. I say, go for it!

Xzazzarai
02-12-2007, 12:32
Dragon Mage cannot take Magic armour as he does not have the option for regular armour.

He doesn't have ANY options. So he can't take ANY magic items, according to you.
Well, the book says otherwise...

Anyway, Can a dragon mage use magic armor and still cast spells?
Please tell where to read about it, if anyone knows.

Tutore
02-12-2007, 12:57
Teclis cannot be fielded in 1500 points. And isn't that good IMO. The dragon mage is interesting, but perhaps too risky in 1500 points. Perhaps.

Tutore
02-12-2007, 12:58
He doesn't have ANY options. So he can't take ANY magic items, according to you.
Well, the book says otherwise...

Anyway, Can a dragon mage use magic armor and still cast spells?
Please tell where to read about it, if anyone knows.

He cannot take any magic armor. There is the rule in the BSB saying that if a character can't use a mundane version of a magic item, then he can't also take the magical one. Is that simple. Wizards which can take mundane armors can cast spells with armor, magical ones or not.

Xzazzarai
02-12-2007, 13:29
Kinda makes the Dragon Mage Very voulnerable. A 5+ Ward aint gonna let him live long enaugh I think... Even ordinary bows can he his bane...

Well, what a shame he can't use armour. I'd used him otherwise..

brambleten
02-12-2007, 13:37
i suppose the mage has to rely on his dragon to get in the way of the shots, then hope that his phoenix can get in the way of the rest.
someone call the RSPCA! thats cruelty to dragons and phoenixes. stupid mage