PDA

View Full Version : Advent Children

Tomasaurus
16-09-2005, 06:05
Well, its been released, what does everyone think about this beautiful piece of film?

Audio: 9
Video: 10
Story: 8.5
Voice: 10

ArtificerArmour
16-09-2005, 09:25
i take it you've seen the japanese advent children?

i'm a UKer with a multiregion, i'll be getting it once its commercially released in the US.

i got a vincent and sephiroth advent children action figures this week, and my god they rock.

Jedi152
16-09-2005, 12:54
AA, when is it released in the US?

As i have a MR DVD player i'll get that one. Has it even been granted a UK release yet?

x-esiv-4c
16-09-2005, 13:18
The US release date keeps changing.

Kiro
16-09-2005, 13:30
Er, I have to ask, what the hell is this game? A re-hash of FF7?

ArtificerArmour
16-09-2005, 14:32
Er, I have to ask, what the hell is this game? A re-hash of FF7?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

it's a new movie set 2 years on from the end of the original game. we've been waiting for it for like...well, ages (original release date was like 3 years ago!).

it's basically the most realistic computer animation film ever made. its only just been released in japan on the 14th as straight to dvd movie. eBay is chockablock full of home made pirate copies with subbing.

USA was suppose to be getting it this week, but its been moved back to about october, which probably means it'll be moved back even further to december or maybe even 2006.

trailers can be seen here in japanese:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/dvd/ff7ac/

and here in subtitles, although it takes an age to load:
http://na.square-enix.com/dvd/ff7ac/

on a related note, i so totally got the vincent and sephiroth action figures this week.

there's another discussion in computer games, but its riddled with spoilers so i'm avoiding it like the plague.

Kiro
16-09-2005, 14:35
Ahhh, right, thanks for that, ArtificierArmour ;)
Forgive me ignorance, but I'm not a fan of the series :D

ArtificerArmour
16-09-2005, 14:52
neither was i until about a year ago.

but this movie looks absolutely fantastic. all animé lovers eyes are on it also.

Jedi152
16-09-2005, 15:00
I'm not a fan of FF at all, just 7!

I'd never heard of Final Fantasy when i brought it, and didn't like any other afterwards.

But it is my favourite game of all time.

m1s1n
16-09-2005, 15:11
I have read (through Penny Arcade) that the US version has been leaked online through some filesharing services. However, I have yet to see it. I'm kind of anti-piracy when it comes to these things. I don't mind if you intend to buy the movie at one point--but if you are just getting it so that you will never have to pay . . .I think that's kind of wrong.

Amazon lists the release as sometime in November.

Jedi152
16-09-2005, 15:12
IMDB seems to date the US release as 3 days ago! :rolleyes:

m1s1n
16-09-2005, 15:17
That's the Japanese release.

TenTailedCat
16-09-2005, 15:18
I have the Japanese version with subtitles, I'm not interested in the English dubbing, it'll likely be a heap of dogshit. I've been waiting for this for eight years, I'm so glad it didn't disapoint.

ArtificerArmour
16-09-2005, 15:48
i'm waiting for the US, as it will have both the original japanese with titles and the english, so i can pick and choose. animé should be like that.

TenTailedCat
16-09-2005, 15:50
I suppose you must have heard; Nomura has said in an interview that after he's finished all of his current and future projects he wants to see about a VII remake, provided he can devote enough time to it and can get all the resources he needs.

That made me do a little dance :D

Slappy
16-09-2005, 19:50
I downloaded a subtitled copy and watched some of it. It looks pretty corny and uninspired, but the animation is really good. I am going to download a higher res copy cause mine isn't very smooth.

Sgt John Keel
16-09-2005, 21:11
I have the Japanese version with subtitles, I'm not interested in the English dubbing, it'll likely be a heap of dogshit. I've been waiting for this for eight years, I'm so glad it didn't disapoint.

Same here. Got it three days ago. Oh, the wonders of Bittorrent.

I did like it, especially the animation and battles were wonderful, but the story is kind of lacking if you haven't played FF7, and I believe that it could be even better with the FF7 spinoff games (Dirge of Cerberus, Before Chrisis. Can't wait for Dirge and FFXII). And there's no chance in the world I'd watch it without Japanese voice acting, wouldn't want american voices on this.

So the grades will be, Story 6 (Not as catching as the game), Animation 10, Voice Acting, 10, Music 9 (Pretty good version of One Winged Angel)

So, for those who can buy it, do so. I know I will when (if) it comes to Europe. Square deserves their money for this movie.

/Adrian

x-esiv-4c
16-09-2005, 21:32
Has anyone actually nailed down a release date for the US? It seems to be changing on a daily basis.

TenTailedCat
16-09-2005, 21:39
I have a EU version on preorder but it looks like i'm waiting until the end of the the year. I'd imagine you guys in the US will get it much sooner.

If you think the plot is lacking you're really not paying enough attention, there are loads of little questions it poses - such as when a Rufus is shown to have Geostigma - that means he must have Jenova Cells in his body, when did that happen? And why did he send Kadaj after Cloud at the beginning?

That's just one of many questions that are being argues over at the moment on various forums. Still, it doesn't match up to the game, but then I neevr expected it to. I see it as a closing of Cloud's story and a staging point for Dirge of Cerberus.

x-esiv-4c
16-09-2005, 21:40
Hmmm, probably around early November or something.

The gamestops here loads of people pissed off at them because they had the JP release date advertised for sales.

Jedi152
18-09-2005, 16:30
That's the Japanese release.
Nope, it lists Japanese release date as 14th - US release date it has down as the 13th Sept!

Linkage (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/releaseinfo)

athamas
21-09-2005, 20:12
i have just watched the un subtitled version.. looks Very very cool...

does any one know whae the UK release is?

there are some good fights in this.. and tiffa looks damn fine though out...

but its a pain not know what is being said [i founf a rough script.. but it was so out of step it was laughable!]

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 21:57
I have read (through Penny Arcade) that the US version has been leaked online through some filesharing services. However, I have yet to see it. I'm kind of anti-piracy when it comes to these things. I don't mind if you intend to buy the movie at one point--but if you are just getting it so that you will never have to pay . . .I think that's kind of wrong.

Amazon lists the release as sometime in November.

you are the first person I have met besides myself that is agianst piracy!
I kind of take it to a different level though I refuse to burn cds for anyone and I have a full ipod with every cd purchased and in my room about 8000 dollars of cds teehee music is my first love, besides aunt helga of course

anyway props to you

on to advent

My friend got it and drooled throught the whole thing, we are huge FF fans except 10 2 wow terrible game cool battle system though, anyway I am very excited to watch it, gald that most people have thought it was good so far

athamas
21-09-2005, 21:59
well its so damn nice to watch i want to get it..

i also need got Spirits within.. because i like it.. no matter what ppl say,

m1s1n
21-09-2005, 22:25
I liked "Spirits Within"--I just felt that it wasn't really a Final Fantasy movie--it was just an interesting SciFi animated feature. It was beautiful to watch for the first time, and some of the animation is better than stuff we see today.

TenTailedCat
22-09-2005, 02:01
I enjoyed Spirits Within, I remember seeing it at the Cinema, I still have the ticket stub somewhere actually. Lord only knows where th DVD is though, probably lurking in a cupboard somwhere.

ArtificerArmour
22-09-2005, 10:14
my friend has spirits within, always meant to borrow it off him.

from what i hear, the only things in common with FF it has is the name and a guy called cid. there's probably a wedge and biggs in there somewhere too.

Jedi152
22-09-2005, 10:41
Spirits within contains some small elements of FFVII's story - a Gaia theory and the lifestream make an appearance, but that's about it.

It's not too bad - i have it on DVD. James Woods' character (General Hein) is excellent.

And of course the animation is breathtaking. I remember when it was released it caused lots of uproar with some actors - it's that good that people are seriously worried that we won't need actors any more...

I'm getting the new CGI Appleseed today, so i'll see if the animation in that is anywhere near as good.

BorisGT
22-09-2005, 12:49
I caught Advent Children a few days ago when a decent dvd5 with subs was available for download. I really enjoyed watching it. Very good animation. The battle scenese were very well coordinated and some of the things the characters do in the fights are very technical, which I like.

And Cid is totally ripped in this movie. If you're a fan of Cid Highwind AND a nice set of abs, then you win.

athamas
22-09-2005, 13:01
spirits withing also contains 2 chocob's!

1 on a brief case.. and one ok aki's night atire!

the best bit in AC had to be the phone ringing after the fight... perfect... made me lauch so much... but you would only get it if you had played the game!

BorisGT
22-09-2005, 13:06
the best bit in AC had to be the phone ringing after the fight... perfect... made me lauch so much... but you would only get it if you had played the game!

I found this to be brilliant, actually.

athamas
22-09-2005, 13:33
grrr i cant spell.. that sould have been laugh!

it was brilliant!

Captain Stern
22-09-2005, 15:23
FFVII is one of my favourite ever games too. I don't know how they can continue the story though... the ending of the game tied every conceivable loose end I thought. I hope Advent Children isn't a case of Square or whoever trying to milk 7 for everything its worth (since the subsequent games weren't as successful...)?

athamas
22-09-2005, 21:56
you need to have played the game to understand.. ... any of it...

basicly some ppl are trying to bring sep. back... and it does kinda make sense as to why the story is happening.. in a reason for the film way...

ArtificerArmour
23-09-2005, 07:28
i predict the end will be that midgars destroyed, and has a shot of it from the future with red 15 & 16 (descendants!) looking at it from a hilltop.

that scene in FF7 really made no sence to me.

athamas
23-09-2005, 07:39
IIRC thats the beggining... :p

Inquisitor Maul
24-09-2005, 21:55
Anyone else who loved Cloud's new Omnislash? :D

BorisGT
24-09-2005, 22:01

I liked the Blade Beam they snuck in.

psyco1234
25-09-2005, 04:02
i watched the japanese version with no subtitles....i didnt really understand it at all....i picked up the jist of the story....but the main part was the animation...it was brilliant.

two questions:
1. what was the big thing...bahumut(i dont think so) or some kind of weapon?
2. Did anyone else find reds voice to be off?....i mean, i expected it to be rough and growly at least :P

Inquisitor Maul
25-09-2005, 10:56
That Big thing they fought in Midgar was actualy Bahamut Sin

TenTailedCat
25-09-2005, 11:21

It's not Omnislash. :eyebrows: It's called Cherry Blossom as far as everyone at the ACF forums is aware.

Asher
25-09-2005, 13:12
It's not Omnislash. :eyebrows: It's called Cherry Blossom as far as everyone at the ACF forums is aware.

Wow. A homage on FFTactics & Vargrand Story. I'm pleasantly surprised!

Haven't seen the movie jet, but I hope I can get hold on it by next week.

Oracle
25-09-2005, 20:01
I loved it. So hardcore. Best scene: Motorbike dual, fo sho. The animation was gorgeous, but I thought the face tones could be improved a bit. Still, it was cool to see something go from 8bit to simulated reality like that.

TenTailedCat
25-09-2005, 22:04
I loved it. So hardcore. Best scene: Motorbike dual, fo sho. The animation was gorgeous, but I thought the face tones could be improved a bit. Still, it was cool to see something go from 8bit to simulated reality like that.

You mean 32bit surely?

Oh and the nod to FFTactics is what everyone else is assuming too, though it doesn't look much like Cherry Blossom from FFT.

psyco1234
26-09-2005, 23:13
i think the best scene was the tifa, other dude fight...that was cool...or the final moterbike chase

Rabid Bunny 666
12-10-2005, 08:04
sorry to ressurect this, but saw it last night :eek:

awesome, stunning graphics, fight scenes were awesome, especially the last one