PDA

View Full Version : Mages and Weapons

wolvemaster
30-11-2007, 22:47
Can Mages have magic weapons?

alexh
30-11-2007, 22:57
As far as I am aware, the only restriction mages face with magic items is armour.

wolvemaster
01-12-2007, 06:32
Okay Thanks.

WLBjork
01-12-2007, 09:20
There are no restrictions on anything a mage, wizard or similar character can take, other than those either in the rules for that character or in the BRB.

txamil
01-12-2007, 20:10
I'll bite. What weapon do you want to put on what mage?

T10
02-12-2007, 10:29
A kick-ass sword on an Empire Battle Wizard with the Speculum would be my bet.

-T10

Flypaper
03-12-2007, 09:43
Ogre Butchers with magic weapons are slowly creeping into vogue also.

Whistler
03-12-2007, 10:36
:evilgrin:Perhaps a Slaanesh Exalted sorc with the Deamon Sword ? i love that one:evilgrin:

untimention
03-12-2007, 10:38
it would be rather crazy if a 'magical man' couldn't have a magical weapon

theunwantedbeing
03-12-2007, 10:52
Mages tend to have a single low weaponskill, low strength attack, often with a not very impressive initiutive as well.
+1 strength on that isnt a lot of help.
Neither is +1 attack, or the ability to ignore armour saves or even re roll failed rolls to hit.
Even making that single attack strength 10 is rarely worth it.

Although magical weapons that can noticably increase the killing power are much better.
Especially if you gain more by putting the weapon on a mage thana fighty hero.
eg.
Daemon sword on a slaanesh lord.
You get +1 weaponskill,+1 strength,+1 attack and +2 initutuive out of it....and you'll hit yourself a few times probably.
The runesword will do that without the side effects for less....
However
Daemon sword on a slaanesh sorcerer lord
You get +4 weaponskill,+2 strength,+4 attacks and +5 initituive
Which is rather a big gain.

Mages with decent stats like st4+ and 3+ attacks can take magic weapons and not feel they have wasted points.
3 st4 attacks is good, but if a magic weapon makes you ignore saves then your mage is now quite good at attacking knights for example.

Generally speaking of course, you CAN give you mage a magical weapon...but its usually not worth bothering.

Fate
04-12-2007, 11:43
For empire it's better to have a mage with a van horstmann's speculum and a holy relic. if you use the lore of beasts the first spell gives you +1T, +2S and +3A.

Pretty good you you charge a character on a dragon, first get rid of the dragon then kill the pesky lord.

DeathlessDraich
05-12-2007, 10:27
Hello and welcome wolvemaster.
Apologies for taking this thread off on a tangent but since the original question has been answered, Fate's comments has triggered an age old Speculum question. I can't remember how it was resolved so here it is:

Q: If the Speculum is used against a character on a Dragon, does the Empire player have the choice of substituting stats with the Dragon. In addition, if the Speculum bearer is on a War Altar, Griffon or Pegasus can the enemy model swap stats with the Empire mount?

I think the mounts stats may be used but I seem to recall that someone speculated that it is possible to choose some stats from the mount and some from the rider?!

wolvemaster
06-12-2007, 23:20
Sorry guys for the delay,

I was thinking about running a high elf mage with my Ellyrian Reavers and giving him a magic bow to boost his ranged capacity.

marv335
06-12-2007, 23:35
the cheapest magic bow would mean he can't carry any magic boosting equipment.
is losing the augmenting equipment available worth the few shots from a reaver bow on a mage or the one shot from the bow of the seafarer? especially considering the Mages poor Bs.

Crazy Harborc
06-12-2007, 23:40
I would think about and sometimes have been giving a warrior priest a magic weapon. A wizard, I would not give a magic weapon. Dispel scrolls for wizards are the norm in my army.