PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts Elven Mercenaries!

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
01-12-2007, 03:49
Having recently acquired the new High Elf army book, I've finally been able to put together an army list for a themed HE army I've had in my mind for a few years. (http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/Warhammer_Palace/index.php?showtopic=7481) Please tell me what you think.

THE FIREHEART MERCENARIES

Morien Fireheart (Prince)- great weapon, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defence- 242
With 4 S6 attacks striking first, he's a formidable opponent in close combat, and his rerollable 2+ save and 4+ ward make him a walking tank. Plus, the LD10 he generates will be pretty nice as well.

Laerith (Noble)- BSB, barded steed, Sword of Might, heavy armour, Helm of Fortune- 175
The steed is there to bolster his armour save; with a rerollable 2+ save, he isn't nearly as vulnerable as some other BSB's out there. Most likely, he'll be riding with the Spearmen.

Ilitha (Mage)- level 2, Jewel of Dusk, dispel scroll- 170
The combination of Jewel of Dusk and dispel scroll gives me a nice offensive/defensive combo. I am contemplating switching the Jewel for a second dispel scroll, though.

20 Spearmen- full command, War Banner- 225
One of my mandatory core choices; with their special rules and War Banner, they will be a solid defensive unit (especially when bolstered by the BSB)

10 Archers- 110
My other mandatory core unit; they'll be sitting back with the RBTs and shooting the enemy to heck.

15 Veterans (White Lions)- full command, Lion Banner- 250
Let me ask you something: what is cooler than a unit that is immune to fear and terror, stubborn, and always strikes first at strength 6? Nothing? That's right. These guys will be the indomitable anchor at the centre (or maybe flank) of my army. With Morien leading them, they'll be almost unbeatable.

12 Veterans (Swordmasters)- 180
After looking at how insanely good Swordmasters are in the new rules, I decided to take some as a flanking unit. Who needs static CR when you're throwing out 12 S5 attacks a turn?

6 Scouts (Shadow Warriors)- 96
Playing Lizardmen has taught me how valuable Scouts can be. Hence, I took a cheap unit of Shadow Warriors to play the harassment/assassination game with the enemy.

2 Tiranoc Chariots- 170
Although I had consciously decided against taking heavy cavalry in my army, I needed SOMETHING that could fill in the niche of fast-moving shock units. With that in mind, I took a pair of Chariots to act as support for my infantry.

2 Great Eagles- 100
What's not to love about Great Eagles? They can march-block, hunt mages, deal with enemy fast cavalry, and, above all, not only draw, but also divert charges (something which I could never do with Lizardmen). And did I mention that they're dirt cheap?

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers- 200
Yeah. Be honest, you were expecting these, weren't you? Yes, you were, and with good reason.

Total: 1958

Tactics: Infantry advances or holds as necessary, with Chariots supporting on the flanks, while Shadow Warriors and Eagles annoy the hell out of the enemy, and my missile troops sit back and pincushion them.

Any thoughts? Additionally, any ideas on how to fill in the remaining points?

brambleten
01-12-2007, 13:23
a single mage at 2k isnt going to do much, i would drop an eagle and a spear to put in another mage at lvl 1, then give him lore fo fire or something offensive. you might be lucky with him once in a while. i prefer PG to SMs, they tend not to die as easily.

heinrichvoncarstein
01-12-2007, 17:02
you can't have 4 rare choices in a 2k army. 3 not 4

Chris_Tzeentch
01-12-2007, 17:17
I'm a little dissappointed - I was expecting Dogs Of War units in an elven army!

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
01-12-2007, 19:42
I'm a little dissappointed - I was expecting Dogs Of War units in an elven army!

I'm actually debating throwing in some Ogre Maneaters or DOW Cannons (though Cannons would be decidedly un-Elven.)

@ HeinrichvonCarstein: In the new HE rulebook, you can have 4 rare choices at 2000 pts or more.

fubukii
01-12-2007, 22:00
actually high elves can have4 rares in 2k thats their new rules.

Alti Elfi
01-12-2007, 22:08
Give your BSB a shield for a 1+ rerollable save, remember there are no restrictions on BSB equipment now.

heinrichvoncarstein
01-12-2007, 22:25
4 rare choices. That's awesome!

SV_Harlequin
01-12-2007, 23:35
Give your BSB a shield for a 1+ rerollable save, remember there are no restrictions on BSB equipment now.
Agreed

And either drop the Mage back to Lvl1 and keep him as a Scroll caddie or drop something else and have 2 lvl2s cause as he is now he will do nothing.