PDA

View Full Version : I have the new In Flames album

arxhon
16-09-2005, 08:01
10 out of 12 tracks roxxor my boxxor. The other 2 are merely awesome.

Maybe i've been too long away from the metal (i spent the last 3 years or so listening to industrial and EBM), but i love this album. In Flames is currently in my unholy trinity; the other two are Dark Tranquillity and Bolt Thrower.

Now...

Tell me of bands that are like these three, but better.

By "like these", i mean, equally willing to bring on the metal, but willing to push the boundaries. Another band that would qualify would be Samael. Passage? Awesome album. The ones after, merely brilliant, and carving a new niche. I'd love to see where it goes.

Boring retread death metal that sounds like mid 90s Cannibal Corpse can go back to the incestuous dieseased pestilential hole it crawled out of.

New Cult King
16-09-2005, 08:12
I'm a bit iffy with In Flames. I like some of their songs, but I'm a real picky bugger when it comes to my metal.

I don't know if you've heard of DevilDriver, but their 2 albums totally blow my mind. Dez Fafara from Coal Chamber is the vocalist, but it's full on metal vocals this time round, no singing to speak of.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Tool and 'softer' metal, so I can't help you out with the really brutal stuff :(

Rabid Bunny 666
16-09-2005, 08:39
what is its name?

EMA paves my way :D

i liked soundtrack to your escape, and have only heard 2 of their other songs

Sojourner
16-09-2005, 09:29
My mate now refers to them as nFlames. I haven't heard the new one so I can't comment.

The boyz
16-09-2005, 10:54
I have'nt listened to In Flames in ages. I have one of their albums called "Colony" I think. Its pretty good, I keep meaning to buy more of their stuff but never do.

Wez
16-09-2005, 13:09
I'll be seeing In Flames at Brixton Academy in November.:)

Haven't listened to the new album though.

For similar music I'd recommened Soilwork, Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom. I don't really like Bolt Thrower, but most Dark Tranquillity is great imo.

-Wez

:0)
16-09-2005, 13:14
What's its name? It's not Clayman, is it?

Wez
16-09-2005, 13:19
What's its name? It's not Clayman, is it?
"Used & Abused - In Live We Trust" is the newest one I think. Clayman's around 5 years old. Since then they've released 'The Tokyo Showdown', 'Reroute To Remain' and 'Soundtrack To Your Escape'.

"Used & Abused - In Live We Trust" is just a DVD with the songs by the looks of things. There are only 2 songs on it I don't know.

In fact, I thought there was a whole new album and now I'm disappointed. :mad:

Bastard.:p

-Wez

Hywel
16-09-2005, 15:20
If you're looking for a melodic death band that has the ability to move beyond that category...

Amorphis are bang on the money.

The earlier you go, the more 'death metally' they are, The Karellian Isthmus being an album like this.
Then you have the middle phase with "Tales from the Thousand Lakes". If you like DT you'll adore this album.
Then you get the later more experimental stuff where they mellow out a bit more, get expansive and so on... Elegy and Am Universam are the albums to look for here.

They sound exactly like what you're looking for - but of course I could be wrong :p. If you get their 'Chapters' CD, it has a few songs taken from each album, so you get a taste of all the eras of their music.

m1s1n
16-09-2005, 15:23
You know--
I keep hearing all these band names thrown around on WarTent and I have never heard a single song by MOST of these groups. Does that make me sheltered?

I think I'll start checking this stuff out . . .maybe I can find the angry side of m1s1n?

Oh--and I'm glad you're back arxhon, I missed your posts.

The Dragon Reborn
16-09-2005, 17:19
If I had any money to spare This would be the first thing I would buy, But I have to save every penny for the ski season.... OK fine I will buy it

arxhon
16-09-2005, 18:51
The album is Soundtrack to Your Escape, rather than that DVD someone mentioned.

I never really got into Devil Driver's last (first?) album; hated the sound of the album in general.

I've heard of Nevermore, Amorphis,, Arch Enemy and so on. Never heard anything by them though, because while these bands were being touted as "awesome" it was still early in their careers and they were merely adequate.

I'll look into them again. :)

Sgt John Keel
16-09-2005, 21:20
Oh--and I'm glad you're back arxhon, I missed your posts.

Gha. By brain never registered that fact. When will Arxhon's news continue?

On topic: It's a quite nice album. I'm still kind of wondering what a 'Superhero of the Computer Age' is.

Anyway, it seems like they are releasing Clayman Deluxe Editon. Anyone know what the difference is to that and the old record?

/Adrian

avstwentyone
17-09-2005, 00:20
Arxhon, what is the name of the album you got? Ooops should have read just two posts up. My bad :o

The current one is Soundtrack to your Escape and the new DVD is available as has been mentioned. There is a new one soon to be released called 'Come Clarity' but I don't know when that is out.

Other bands sort of like In Flames: Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Insomnium, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, Immortal Souls, Within Y, Deadlock etc, etc.

Try to pick up In Flames back catalogue - all of their albums are great but for my money The Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony period are outstanding.

Yay its my first post since Portent was lost to us.

Cheers

avstwentyone

Shinobi
17-09-2005, 00:36
Children of Bodom are the funniest band ever. There's no way I can take them seriously after seeing a video of the live. XD

I also have their Final Countdown cover. XD XD

avstwentyone
17-09-2005, 00:54
Shinobi, I thought Norther did the cover of The Final Countdown. I know it's on their "Dreams of Endless War" album.

Maybe both bands have done one seeing as Norther is like a watered down version of Children of Bodom. (By that I mean they are good (I love Mirror of Madness) but just not as talented.)

Cheers

avstwentyone

PS. Bodom are releasing a cover of Oops I did it Again, I believe.

jhorred
17-09-2005, 02:50
I bought Soundtrack to your escape recently. It reminded me of Coroner (80's European metal band.)

arxhon
17-09-2005, 03:54
Gha. By brain never registered that fact. When will Arxhon's news continue?

On topic: It's a quite nice album. I'm still kind of wondering what a 'Superhero of the Computer Age' is.

Anyway, it seems like they are releasing Clayman Deluxe Editon. Anyone know what the difference is to that and the old record?

/Adrian

The [arxhon's news] column was unpopular with the moderation team.

Additionally, i don't come here much at all any more. I just stopped by to ask about In Flames, because i know that there is a decent metal fan base here, and knew they'd point me in the right direction. :cool:

I used to have the first Amorphis album on tape, as it happens. I've watched the videoa for Deliver and something from 2003. Big difference. :cool: Snagging some sample tunes right now.

Nevermore has that "Detuned to b flat and Florida scene chaotic blastbeats" american sound. Not a fan of that style. Vocally, it reminds me of Confessor.

Now...I must have Insomnium. I must.
Talk about crisp vox that crush. :cool: Excellent twin lead sound. This is the kind of band i'm looking for right now.

Yay its my first post since Portent was lost to us.

Cheers

avstwentyone

Couldn't have chosen a better topic. : :cool:

avstwentyone
17-09-2005, 04:13
Now...I must have Insomnium. I must.
Talk about crisp vox that crush. :cool: Excellent twin lead sound. This is the kind of band i'm looking for right now.

Indeed, I am eagerly awaiting their album "Since the Day it all Came Down" to arrive in my postbox. It's a week late. Damn metal backwards australia.

Couldn't have chosen a better topic. : :cool:

Been lurking for a bit. Saw this topic about one of my favourite bands and couldn't resist.

Cheers

avstwentyone

Rabid Bunny 666
17-09-2005, 11:28
The album is Soundtrack to Your Escape, rather than that DVD someone mentioned.

thats an awesome album, i only got it because i heard my sweet shadow

Hywel
17-09-2005, 11:34
Indeed, I am eagerly awaiting their album "Since the Day it all Came Down" to arrive in my postbox. It's a week late. Damn metal backwards australia.

In my world, delay of Insomnium albums is a capital offense. Both their albums are unbelievably good.

But back to thinking of bands that push the boundaries, I forgot to mention Ewigkeit - seriously good stuff, the new album came out recently and I still need to get me hands on it...