PDA

View Full Version : 40k Clichés

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 05:34
I'll start us off with... "Speartip."

I've never seen "Speartip" used with any kind of frequency until the Horus Heresy books appeared... then it started popping up in every thread to signify any event that is slightly avant garde or just barely involves a slight emphasis on hitting hard the first time.

Other ones I dislike or portmanteaus such as "Mathhammer" or "Herohammer".

Anyone else have some?

Shadow-BOT
01-12-2007, 05:35
Crackhammer

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 05:36
never heard that one before

ctsteel
01-12-2007, 05:40
how about Lysanderwing, Dustwing, etc etc

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 05:44
There are more cliches than just portmanteaus... but ya the wing ones annoy me too. How can you possible put all armies with a terminator squad or two + lysander into a single army type? Or if you happen to have a couple rubric terminator squads? Or plague marine squads.

There are so many ways to do it...

zeep
01-12-2007, 05:57
"nidzilla"- c'mon guys, one MC is not a nidzilla list. :rolleyes:

"In my experience as a ______" - your chem 101 class does not make you an expert on everything.

"____ list is overpowered." - Is it really that over powered, or is your list just designed to min max against only one type (usually meq).

bloodlust
01-12-2007, 06:01
oooh I have one.
pointless arguments that end up with players declaring they aren't having fun. sometimes I wonder if the fact that fun has to be brought up makes warhammer not necessarily fun.

Kamizanate
01-12-2007, 06:03
Space Marines.

azimaith
01-12-2007, 06:11
Cliches huh?
"This one time my (insert crappy unit) beat (insert tough unit) proving they are not overpowered."

"Use tactics" (Meaningless)

"Use Terrain" (Meaningless as well, both this and above are highly relative on set up and armies).

"A balanced army would have no problem." (Claimed true alot less than it is.)

"You just don't know how to use them." (Wargamer Lrn2plynoob)

"It doesn't say it can't/doesn't". (Negative proof stupidity.)

"An experienced player would never lose to that." (A lie)

"Stop beating a dead horse." (Translates to often: I want attention but I don't want to commit to adding anything useful to the discussion.)

"Mathhammer doesn't prove anything." (Yes I hear this in 40k games as well.)

"Its not cheesy, you just aren't good enough." (Translates to mostly: "Its cheesy but as long as its in my favor its alright.")

"Technically legal." (Translates to: "Probably pretty lame.")

I've heard all of these many times in 40k games.

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 06:18
port·man·teau (pôrt-mnt, prt-, pôrtmn-t, prt-)
n. pl. port·man·teaus or port·man·teaux (-tz, -tz)
A large leather suitcase that opens into two hinged compartments.

Heh, I learned a new word today... ;):D

Having said that, none really spring to mind. All the terms which seem to irk people simpy convey to me a type of an action/unit/tactic/rhetoric/whatever that would other wise take a sentence to explain. It's merely convenient, as long as the terms are used appropriately and in a proper context, which again is purely subjective... But no, so far I've yet to recall anything of the sorts that'd irk me.

Having said that, I do kinda disklike when such terms are used to promote points of view without backing them up with anything.

RexTalon
01-12-2007, 06:49
I now hate the word "raw" with every fiber of my being.

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 07:31
Cliches huh?
"This one time my (insert crappy unit) beat (insert tough unit) proving they are not overpowered."

"Use Terrain" (Meaningless as well, both this and above are highly relative on set up and armies).

"Stop beating a dead horse." (Translates to often: I want attention but I don't want to commit to adding anything useful to the discussion.)

"Its not cheesy, you just aren't good enough." (Translates to mostly: "Its cheesy but as long as its in my favor its alright.")

This one time my Deceiver didn't beat a Warboss (for like 3 rounds of combat) proving it is not a close combat god. Some people told me to use tactics. Others told me that I just didn't know how to use the Deceiver. Then they told me to use terrain more cleverly. I told them the Deceiver doesn't care about terrain. Then I was like "The chance of a Warboss surviving a single round of combat against the Deceiver is extremely small" and they said Mathhamemr doesn't prove anything. Then they said "That's what you get for using a cheesy unit" and I was like "It's technically legal.. and it's not cheesy, you just aren't good enough." Then the Warboss died in the 3rd round, and all was well. Moral of the story: An experienced player would never charge a Warboss into the Deceiver.

(I think I got all of them into a singular, awe-inspiring story of cliche badness. That may or may not be true.)

FrankManic
01-12-2007, 07:36
Ultrasmurfs and beakies generally.

Orks, Necrons, Nids, Chaos, etc. getting thrown into battle together as the 'badguys'. Aside from an abiding hatred of the beakies, we don't like each other.

The whole 'everything is dark, and terrible, and the darkness is terrible, and the terribleness has a dark quality, and look, over there is a chaos dude kicking puppies' theme. The universe sucks. We get it. next subject.

"Humanity it teetering on the brink of extinction". Just like rat's, bunnies, and mosquitoes are teetering on the brink of extinction. Every humie you kill, two more spring up.

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 08:10
Well beakies is an ork term that's kinda funny. But I guess if it's used a lot in your area it could get annoying.

azimaith
01-12-2007, 08:14
(I think I got all of them into a singular, awe-inspiring story of cliche badness. That may or may not be true.)

Da powa of da waaagh and all that. I was suprised when ol' Ruzgob managed to avoid being krumped right off the bat. But yep, that pretty much goes with what i've seen with unlikely events :P.

Ronin_eX
01-12-2007, 08:44
My most loathed ciché is the term MeQ. I remember when marines used to be fairly unique in the game and weren't the unit the entire game was balanced around (it should still be IG in my opinion). Unfortunately the popularity of the stat-line has made this term a widespread one that only serves to make marines seem more bland and bog standard. The day eight foot tall, acid-spitting supermen become pedestrian will be a sad one for all of us. :p

Seriously though marines are supposed to be special but they have just become so diluted over the years that they are now the originators of a term that describes a whole set of armies. Part of me really wishes GW would stop pushing marines so hard as they have so many interesting races that would do fairly well when given the chance. And I say this as a long time marine player.

Say no to MeQ!

ctsteel
01-12-2007, 08:51
the term 'nerfed' is also one that is severely over-used and completely inaccurate. its a code word for 'i don't like the change or I can't adapt myself'

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 09:01
Nerf is pretty bad, forgot all about it since it's used so much in other games besides 40k. But ya, saying an entire codex was nerfed is stupid, but saying specific units were nerfed (when they sometimes obviously were... as in Starcannons where they were made worse and had a point increase) isn't quite as bad I think.

Biomass Denial
01-12-2007, 09:19
When I opened this I thought it would be about the story line and names in the background... Thats all cliche though isnt it?

Mr Zephy
01-12-2007, 10:09
I don't mind the word nerf, since it makes me giggle.

(Look for a translation of nerf du boeuf)

Burnthem
01-12-2007, 10:16
'SpearTip' is a real-life term, used in the British Army to describe a rapid reaction unit, usually an infantry battalion, that is charged with being however-many hours notice to move to any particular place.

OT - Players saying a particular Tactic is 'wrong', there is no right and wrong with tactics, only good and bad. i too hate the word 'raw', never has a word sprung up with such veracity as this one...

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 10:28
'SpearTip' is a real-life term, used in the British Army to describe a rapid reaction unit, usually an infantry battalion, that is charged with being however-many hours notice to move to any particular place.

Many terms are real-life, doesn't mean they're not an over-used cliche which doesn't apply to the context in which they're often used.

Burnthem
01-12-2007, 10:31
Many terms are real-life, doesn't mean they're not an over-used cliche which doesn't apply to the context in which they're often used.

Just giving a source for the term, thats all ;)

SpinO
01-12-2007, 10:59
I can't stand the terms "Dakkafex" and "Shootyfex". Tyranids are not Orks!

Slaaneshi Slave
01-12-2007, 11:29
Only one I despise is MEQ when applied to Sisters of Battle. :p They are SOBEQ! :p

sigur
01-12-2007, 11:34

I liked this one the best so far. ;)

I just can't stand it when people talk about tactics or the "power of a unit" judging from their experience after using it once or twice. The nonsense starts when people use the words "my [army]" in almost any thread about tactics.

blackroyal
01-12-2007, 12:33

So true. I hate when someone asks for advice and gets one or both of these responces.

Godgolden
01-12-2007, 12:44
nerf will always be squishy foam to me so i cant hold bad blood against it.

I mainly dislike the overuse of acronyms thus making people who arnt 'up' on 40k 'lingo' totally segregated from a conversation, even driving the forum to translate.

My peeve :) theres nothing worse than not knowing what a acronym is reffering too.

I generally find getting any advise good but some people do make it alittle too basic or generalised.

scarletsquig
01-12-2007, 12:55
I mainly dislike the overuse of acronyms thus making people who arnt 'up' on 40k 'lingo' totally segregated from a conversation, even driving the forum to translate.

MEQ is an annoying one for people who don't know what it means.

It's much worse with Fantasy though.

Especially when someone starts talking about their "Empire army with Waltar, Captasus, Stank and 'nillas".

The_Patriot
01-12-2007, 12:58

Especially when someone starts talking about their "Empire army with Waltar, Captasus, Stank and 'nillas".

I don't know about that, because I've seen AC having at least three different meanings; Auto Cannon, Assault Cannon, and Aspiring Champions. ;)

Slaaneshi Slave
01-12-2007, 13:06
And Armoured Company. :p

Cornelius
01-12-2007, 13:19
And Andy Chambers.

Micro
01-12-2007, 13:24
the notion that annoys the hell out of me is 'cheese/cheesy'. everytime somebody says : 'this is cheese' or 'that *unit*/*list* is cheesy' the image of a dumb kid with no life whining about how unfair something is comes to my mind.

also, out of recent reasons, the word *falcon* starts to annoy me as well.

victorpofa
01-12-2007, 13:40
Cliches huh?

Awesome list. That covers most of the clichés not already listed. I have a personal dislike, no, intense hatred, for the word "bland". (Translates to: "I can't use my list of doom any more so I will claim the interesting back story of my army no longer exists as justification for hating the codex and no longer playing the army".)

The game is not supposed to be won or lost entirely through the creation of your army list. Adapt and move on. IMHO The only way 40K will become bland is if all armies are the same. Like if the 5th edition is nothing but marines with no traits. That would be bland. Not losing a few options or power builds.

Grazzy
01-12-2007, 13:58
how about Lysanderwing, Dustwing, etc etc

I find this irritating to. When the DA codex came out i was amazed by the amount of xwing armies out there. Half only has 10 termies or so.

I find the sentence ''What if you came up against army x'' very annoying. Every list will have a nemesis, and you will have to deal with it.

McNuggets
01-12-2007, 14:02

Could you explain these

Fixer
01-12-2007, 14:11
Bah, when I saw a thread about 40k cliches I thought we were going to see something about how being a paradise world in the 40k universe is just asking for trouble.

Prandium: Eaten
Tallarn: Virus bombed
Valhalla: Knocked into permanent solar winter.
Baal: Turned into radioactive hellhole.

Polonius
01-12-2007, 15:02
My favorite? "My dice failed me." Of course, I use it as well, but I've played some guys who blame every loss on bad dice. After like, 10 straight unlucky games, it's probably not luck anymore....

Imperialis_Dominatus
01-12-2007, 15:20
I like Azimaith's list.

I also am sensing frustration from certain pre-existing *cough*Chaos*cough*Falcon*cough* threads. :rolleyes:

Iron Father
01-12-2007, 15:23
My favorite? "My dice failed me." Of course, I use it as well, but I've played some guys who blame every loss on bad dice. After like, 10 straight unlucky games, it's probably not luck anymore....

for some it is :D

Logarithm Udgaur
01-12-2007, 15:26
The paradise world thing brings to mind a quote from Ninja Scroll TV. Something along the lines of "we do not need weapons or warriors, who would attack our peaceful farming village?" Seconds lated the guy who said this gets cut in half and stomped on by a giant construct.

Supremearchmarshal
01-12-2007, 16:10

Yeah, Ultrasmurfs is annoying, but beakies I like. Sounds kinda cute.

One more: Golden Toilet

Warpcrafter
01-12-2007, 18:48

Orks, Necrons, Nids, Chaos, etc. getting thrown into battle together as the 'badguys'. Aside from an abiding hatred of the beakies, we don't like each other.

The whole 'everything is dark, and terrible, and the darkness is terrible, and the terribleness has a dark quality, and look, over there is a chaos dude kicking puppies' theme. The universe sucks. We get it. next subject.

"Humanity it teetering on the brink of extinction". Just like rat's, bunnies, and mosquitoes are teetering on the brink of extinction. Every humie you kill, two more spring up.

Hey! Only somebody who has not spent ten thousand years kicking puppies would ever dare say something like that! (But really, I agree. While the rules of WH40K do lack common sense on a regular basis, the fluff for CSM is seriously repetitive.):cheese:

The Guy
01-12-2007, 18:56
"*sigh* I see this thread every week/day/minute" <<<My personal favourite...

"Haha you lost! you suck!" Hear that at school...

"I don't play 40k to win..." Why play it then? Why even bother setting models on the table? You don't care if you lose. Why even match your oponents points value?
Why even have a tactics section on this very forum?

Logarithm Udgaur
01-12-2007, 19:10
The biggest thing that bugs me cliche-wise is that the good guys always seem to win (in the fluff mostly). No matter what the odds, incompetence, infighting and/or general stupidity that the imperials face, something always seems to pop in and save them from certain doom.

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 19:17
"I don't play 40k to win..." Why play it then? Why even bother setting models on the table? You don't care if you lose. Why even match your oponents points value?

To pass the time and have a few laughs with friends. It's the journey that's important, not the end.

Cosmocrat
01-12-2007, 19:20
I just hate that there is so little Alien vs. Alien or Bad Guys vs. Bad Guys action in the storyline.

I also hate that the Imperial Guard can never be shown to be winning ever, at all, in any fashion.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
01-12-2007, 19:21
Cheese, cheesy, beardy, nerf, nerfed...

Imperialis_Dominatus
01-12-2007, 19:27
The biggest thing that bugs me cliche-wise is that the good guys always seem to win (in the fluff mostly). No matter what the odds, incompetence, infighting and/or general stupidity that the imperials face, something always seems to pop in and save them from certain doom.

Barring the dozens of quotes of Eldar speaking to doomed humans, quotes of foolhardy generals at last stands, and Astropaths and the like saying "Omgz we're gonna get pwned" when a Hive Fleet turns up... it just depends on the Codex you read, dude.

Sekhmet
01-12-2007, 19:36

I hate that one! I still believe that "I don't play 40k to win" is the mantra of the person who has given up trying to win (aka loser).

Agrip. Varenus Denter
01-12-2007, 19:47
I hate that one! I still believe that "I don't play 40k to win" is the mantra of the person who has given up trying to win.

Agreed. I'd like to have fun every time I play... but sometimes that is not the case and I know it. However - I play to win. The very nature of a game is that someone is to be declared a winner, and I really would like it to be me.

The Guy
01-12-2007, 20:00
I hate that one! I still believe that "I don't play 40k to win" is the mantra of the person who has given up trying to win (aka loser).

Wow someone agrees with me! :eek:
IMO when both players [or even one for that matter] Really doesn't give a fart about winning then the game quickly becomes a bore.

Imperialis_Dominatus
01-12-2007, 20:00
I play for fluff, if the game inspires me, and also to win. But that's secondary. It's not that I don't do it, it's that I've had points in my life when winning was... way too important to me. And not in 40k. Not a fun route when you lose when you should have had it all. But I digress. Winning is fun, but not if I'm a d*ck about it. What matters to me is what's going on on the board, the occasionally ridiculously funny situations (like various models spending 5 turns banging on a Baneblade's side when the game's pretty much lost anyway, and destroying it and losing models in the explosion).

EDIT: Although...

IMO when both players [or even one for that matter] Really doesn't give a fart about winning then the game quickly becomes a bore.

Also, when they're both IG players... ugh, that was a horrible game. I mean, he did care about winning, but he had the personality of a cold fish... and I could barely tell. What a boring game.

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 20:11
What? You guys have never found yourself in the situation where you've all but beaten your opponent by turn three and instead of sitting tight on those objective from which he can't move your from (and thus securing a win)) you instead back off and charge the rest of his forces withr you all-mighty commander and his retinue so that he'd at least have a chance?

You really should give it a try sometime.

Playing 40k isn't as black and white as winning or losing, at least it shouldn't be in friendly games. Well, not in my ever so humble opinion anyway.

Grand Master Raziel
01-12-2007, 20:13
I like Azimaith's list.

I also am sensing frustration from certain pre-existing *cough*Chaos*cough*Falcon*cough* threads. :rolleyes:

No kidding, huh? Here's another one from the Chaos thread: strawman. Someone dropped that term several months ago, and since then it's been picked up by a bunch of ignorant wretches who thinks it means "I'm totally right and you're totally wrong." Plus, they add "-ing" to the end of it to turn it into a verb. "Nice strawmanning", or "There's strawmanning all over the place in this thread". Argh! :mad::mad::mad:

Thud
01-12-2007, 20:57
Codex creep.

"Oh look, army X got a new codex and now it's soooo much better than everyone else! Unfair!"

catbarf
01-12-2007, 21:01
No kidding, huh? Here's another one from the Chaos thread: strawman. Someone dropped that term several months ago, and since then it's been picked up by a bunch of ignorant wretches who thinks it means "I'm totally right and you're totally wrong." Plus, they add "-ing" to the end of it to turn it into a verb. "Nice strawmanning", or "There's strawmanning all over the place in this thread". Argh! :mad::mad::mad:

A straw man argument is where you essentially make up an easily refuted trait and assign it to the opposition. It seems to be a favorite of online forums.

Visionary
01-12-2007, 21:06
"How do i have fun playing Warhammer"

I was shocked when i first saw it :eek:

Dakkagor
01-12-2007, 21:09
The complaint threads that spring up round here when something gets changed.

I swear when I can leave the computer I can still hear the high pitched whinning of a thousand damned souls*

*Or chaos space marine players. whichever really.

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 21:11
Definition
strawman - a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted
Related
specious argument - an argument that appears good at first view but is really fallacious

Strawman in it self is a valid term and hardly a cliché. However, misuse of any term usually at least somewhat rises my ire so I certainly can symphatise here with GM Raziel.

dblaz3r
01-12-2007, 21:23
I loathe the term "taken with 'some form' of salt". it gets under my skin evertime I see it. :mad:

Str10_hurts
01-12-2007, 21:28
Ok this one get used often at my club

"That unit is being raped!" This reffers to a unit that stands no chance of survuival.

Skyweir
01-12-2007, 21:40
It has to be "fluff" *shudder*.....

It is by itself the most derogatory word ever used to describe works of fiction.
I loathe it with passion. It makes the real meat of the 40k game, it's background and story, sound irrelevant, unimportant and unnecessary. Let's take a look at the dictionary for the meanings of the word Fluff:
c
fluff /flʌf/
–noun
1. light, downy particles, as of cotton.
2. a soft, light, downy mass: a fluff of summer clouds.
3. something of no consequence: The book is pure fluff, but fun to read.
4. an error or blunder, esp. an actor's memory lapse in the delivery of lines.
–verb (used with object)
5. to make into fluff; shake or puff out (feathers, hair, etc.) into a fluffy mass (often fol. by up): to fluff up the sofa pillows.
6. to make a mistake in: The leading man fluffed his lines.
–verb (used without object)
7. to become fluffy; move, float, or settle down like fluff.
8. to make a mistake, esp. in the delivery of lines by a performer; blunder.

I wonder who first came up with this term, or if people that use it really understand how condescending it is to use it about something a lot of people enjoy immensely in this game...

ankara halla
01-12-2007, 21:50
It think it came to being around the n:th time GW rewrote their stuff...

Skyth
01-12-2007, 21:59
I can't stand the terms "Dakkafex" and "Shootyfex". Tyranids are not Orks!

Dakkafex is not because of Orks...It's 'cause the configuration came from DakkaDakka...

What I hate is the constant whines of cheese and the insistence that there is only 'one right way' of having fun with 40k...

Hicks
01-12-2007, 22:12
Cliches huh?

I just read you comment and it hit me how true this is. Everytime you ask about tactics someone shows up and asumes you don't use terrain, you and your opponent play like retards and you can't figure out that genestealers are good in CC while Devastators are better at shooting. To had to the insult, those people apparently play on boards with 99% terrain and can easily trash everyone at their shops 2000pts lists with a squad of Mandrakes.

Thank god for sensible people who give great advice.

The Guy
01-12-2007, 22:22
It has to be "fluff" *shudder*.....

It is by itself the most derogatory word ever used to describe works of fiction.
I loathe it with passion. It makes the real meat of the 40k game, it's background and story, sound irrelevant, unimportant and unnecessary. Let's take a look at the dictionary for the meanings of the word Fluff:
c
fluff /flʌf/
–noun
1. light, downy particles, as of cotton.
2. a soft, light, downy mass: a fluff of summer clouds.
3. something of no consequence: The book is pure fluff, but fun to read.
4. an error or blunder, esp. an actor's memory lapse in the delivery of lines.
–verb (used with object)
5. to make into fluff; shake or puff out (feathers, hair, etc.) into a fluffy mass (often fol. by up): to fluff up the sofa pillows.
6. to make a mistake in: The leading man fluffed his lines.
–verb (used without object)
7. to become fluffy; move, float, or settle down like fluff.
8. to make a mistake, esp. in the delivery of lines by a performer; blunder.

I wonder who first came up with this term, or if people that use it really understand how condescending it is to use it about something a lot of people enjoy immensely in this game...

I must say that fluff does annoy me.
It makes the dark/gothy fantasy we all love seem...childish

"That list is unsporting" <<<This...especially when the person sayin it does not know what the other players at their gaming club are like. Maybe it's unsporting because said player wants a chance at actually competing with these people?

Grimtuff
01-12-2007, 22:24

Erm, see my sig. ;)

Gnr Rear
01-12-2007, 22:31

OT - Players saying a particular Tactic is 'wrong', there is no right and wrong with tactics, only good and bad. i too hate the word 'raw', never has a word sprung up with such veracity as this one...

Think you will find it is 'Spearhead'.

Grimtuff
01-12-2007, 22:33
I loathe the term "taken with 'some form' of salt". it gets under my skin evertime I see it. :mad:

It's a phrase used just about everywhere with regards to rumour and gossip. It's just with Warseer being somewhat THE site for rumours the phrase will get used more frequently.

TheMav80
01-12-2007, 22:39
Fluff

It just sounds stupid. I say backround. Or Back story.

Occulto
01-12-2007, 22:58

People who say that should say:

"I don't play 40K exclusively to win"

Personally, I'd rather lose a tight game, than win a massacre. As ankara halla said, it's not the end result, it's the journey.

My least favorite cliche is the word: "efficient" when used to describe an option. Especially because it's almost always used to describe how an option performs against marines.

Green Shoes
01-12-2007, 23:22
Complaining about how the Uber Assaulty unit absolutely rapes (:D) one's shooty unit when it gets assaulted. Well, duh. Don't complain about the rules of the game when something does its job.

Then of course the advice of "Shoot it before it gets to you lol" is so obvious as to be condescending.

zerachiel
01-12-2007, 23:23

If it was a novel... Then I find that understandable- you run out of story if the side it's following gets horribly mauled a bit in.

What I don't like is in the Codexes. Would it kill them to have a story in which the army in the codex doesn't succeed massively in the codex? I'd like a heroic last stand or something as well as the usual conglomerate of glory and banner waving.

PseudoK
02-12-2007, 02:40
The reaction of "That's broken/cheesy/hideous/unfair/ridiculous!" to anything not seen before, not standard, and not a SM. Eldar wargear that doesn't use a strength value for wounding or vehicle penetration? How terrible! Gift of Chaos can eat my wraithlord? Totally unbalanced!

If armies only used rules from the core book, the game would be boring indeed. Variety is the spice of life - and I like my fights to blister. ;)

Lord Cook
02-12-2007, 02:53
To had to the insult, those people apparently play on boards with 99% terrain and can easily trash everyone at their shops 2000pts lists with a squad of Mandrakes.

Hah! Brilliant!

I get annoyed at the constant talk of imperial guardsmen being nothing more than a bunch of amateurs with torches and t-shirts. They only seem that way in comparison to the 0.0001% of the enemies they fight being superhuman monsters.

Sekhmet
02-12-2007, 03:00
Dakkafex is not because of Orks...It's 'cause the configuration came from DakkaDakka...

Really? I don't think so.. I mean the configuration is pretty obviously the only one that'll work for an elite fex.

swordwind
02-12-2007, 03:15
I'm a fan of the "I'm 7'8", 500lb, can punch my way through a tank and am in the Royal Marines, Navy SEALs and Spetz Natz all at the same time. Noone picks on me when I play 40k" type that springs up whenever bullying and GW are brought up.
http://www.camotech.com/Images/Chairborne.jpg :rolleyes:

And the whole Guardsmen are useless conscripts used as a meat shield for better units ala Enemy at the Gates (which, in case you didnt know, was all bullcrap). Guardsmen are from the top 10% of a planets PDF who are in turn trained and equipped to the same standards as a modern, Western military. Not even the Imperium is just going to throw away experienced, trained troops for nothing. As Lord Cook said, the only reason they're crap on a table top level is because everything else is either a 8 foot tall super human powered by the dark gods, a ancient warrior trained for hundreds of years and can crush your skull with its mind, a soulless robot that cannot be killed or a inhuman monster from beyond the edge of the galaxy.

feelnopain666
02-12-2007, 03:33
Gav thrope: "...sometimes even the Chaos players forgot what mark the units have". What a lame excuse to make us use the icons!

Grand Master Raziel
02-12-2007, 04:15
A straw man argument is where you essentially make up an easily refuted trait and assign it to the opposition. It seems to be a favorite of online forums.

I get that. My point is that the term "straw man" has been picked up by individuals who do not understand what it means, and apply the term to any argument they disagree with. That, and turning the term into a verb, are things that get my goat.

WorLord
02-12-2007, 05:29
The cliche argument I truly hate pops up every time a new codex or ruleset comes out. From the moment some new content is leaked or released we get endless threads of "x army list got nerfed" (yep, that word) and "x army list is too powerful". Usually we get both arguments at the same time, across multiple threads right up to the point that the next new thing is released. Lather, rinse, repeat...

vulcan raven
02-12-2007, 05:30
fluff + straw man + cheese (and cries thereof) + you don't have the understanding/most efficient configuration/insert random thought here = pure rant material

it's story/history not fluff. fluff is in pillows that get thrown at your head.
it's life not cheese. cheese is a food (blue vein/chillie/insert favourite cheese here)

some people can benefit immensly from understanding the difference between what they know and what is wise to say i.e. tomato = fruit, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES EVER AT ALL (NEVER) is it to go into fruit salad.

pwned = typo!!! yes the secret's out. the concept is not communicated in the word owned it is conquered/defeated/routed/removed off the table/killed/maimed/battered/shafted/... the list goes on and on (and on)

just a refresher for everyone, myself included
cliche - cli·ché
–noun
1.a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
2.(in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.
3.anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.
4.British Printing.
a.a stereotype or electrotype plate.
b.a reproduction made in a like manner.
–adjective
5.trite; hackneyed; stereotyped; clichéd.

dark-hamish
02-12-2007, 05:53
I generally dislike all the abreviations and short hand slang that I see in the various discussion forums. It presumes a certain knowledge that a "noob" (really hate that one) probably doesn't have. That is not to say that in only happens in Warseer, actually it is worse in others.

And while they may not be 40k cliche, I am also annoyed by the internet slangs such as spam, flame, troll and so many others. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer fully formed concepts and good grammer. Not to say that mine is perfect, but at least I follow the forms.

dblaz3r
02-12-2007, 06:03
It's a phrase used just about everywhere with regards to rumour and gossip. It's just with Warseer being somewhat THE site for rumours the phrase will get used more frequently.

Yes a little to frequently for my liking, can't say i've ever uttered those words in my lifetime.
I am also one of those that prefer not to say 'fluff' either just reminds of the occupation known as a fluffer :eek:

Spook101
02-12-2007, 06:16
it's life not cheese. cheese is a food (blue vein/chillie/insert favourite cheese here)

provolone:)

sometimes it is the dice, occationaly for extended periods of time...this usualy suggests you bought a lot of faulty (air bubbles/imperfections) dice.
mostly its a poor list.(like mine)

terrain advisors are probly used to using area terrain, when using it is useful usualy. tell them to play LOS terrain once. it is very different.

tactics will play a minor part, such as where to properly infiltrate, whether to shoot at the monolith in your lines, or the destroyers after your mbt.

most of the time it comes to luck.

as for more cliches, i could name some, but as they are not family freindly, i will leave it to your imaginations.

Cry of the Wind
02-12-2007, 07:05

Yeah I really find that without a drive to win on the part of both players the game becomes pointless. Sure you can do things just for fun and for story sake but that shouldn't be the driving force behind your tactics. That's like playing chess and saying you won't take your opponents queen with a pawn after he makes a bonehead move because it would be 'unfluffy' (:p) for a lowly pawn to take the most powerful character in the other guys 'army'.

I get why people hate fluff being used and I used to hate it too. I've just grown so used to seeing in and now saying it that it doesn't bother me anymore.

I like a lot of the ones brought up so far, and it's also saddening to realize how many I've been guilty of spreading around...

Agrip. Varenus Denter
02-12-2007, 11:38
it's story/history not fluff. fluff is in pillows that get thrown at your head.

To be fair, it's a valid term in the game (though why the forum makes it capitalized is beyond me). It's simply meant to refer to portions of role-playing game / wargaming books that are not about rules mechanics. It "fluffs" out the rules to give backstory. :)

Logarithm Udgaur
02-12-2007, 14:12
I can see how people get upset about others calling their hobby fluff, but it really does not bother me, unless someone started calling writers of background fluffers, which would bother some people.

Dues ex Mechania (spelled wrong, I do not speak Latin) is my least favorite cliche at the moment. Probably comes from reading too much Dan Abnett.

Templar Ben
02-12-2007, 14:30
Yes a little to frequently for my liking, can't say i've ever uttered those words in my lifetime.
I am also one of those that prefer not to say 'fluff' either just reminds of the occupation known as a fluffer :eek:

Strangely enough that is why I use fluff. People that I play against that like to point out that unit x should not be included due to some fluff bit, I happily refer to as fluffers.

My favorite is "of doom", as in Las Plas of doom, Ass can of doom, or falcons of doom.

ReveredChaplainDrake
02-12-2007, 19:38
I don't like how some people will make obscene jokes for how a model or set of models are converted. As a recent example, it took me hours of drilling to convert my Tzeentch Daemon Prince to have a Tzeentch Flamer head and a magic wand from the Dark Elf Chariot's banner poll. But as soon as I mention a combo suggesting how to combine the use of my Slaaneesh Prince's Lash of Submission with the Tzeentch Prince's Gift of Chaos, other members of the local gaming club start throwing out risque little comments about my Daemon Princes making Spawn together, and even how the Tzeentch Prince uses his magic wand to... ;) *ahem!*... the Slaaneesh Prince. (For the last time, Slaaneesh is excessive, not kinky!)

Another reason I'm glad Daemonettes are pointless in the 4th Chaos Codex. You wouldn't believe the rafts of crap I got for using 'naked boobie chicks' last edition, as if there was no way that having 3 I5 rending attacks per 15pt model on the charge could've had anything to do with it...

izandral
02-12-2007, 21:11
don't like abreviations even if i'm beginning to know most of them (still don't know what pwned and all that usually goes with it means)

i hate ork speak

some posts are already hard to read because of the content at lest make it easy to understand the words

Sekhmet
02-12-2007, 21:25
i hate ork speak

Seriously. Every Ork player who comes on a forum for the first time, without fail, writes in Ork speak for the first couple posts.

The Guy
02-12-2007, 22:10
Seriously. Every Ork player who comes on a forum for the first time, without fail, writes in Ork speak for the first couple posts.

Actually I found that as soon as somebody even mentions orks at least 5 people start talking it...that bugs me.

Another one - "Oh my gawdzorz!!111 I hate threads like this!11oneonehundredandeleven"
Don't read it then...

Cornelius
02-12-2007, 22:26
i hate ork speak

People who speak "in character" should be thrown in the gutter and shot.

shin'keiro
02-12-2007, 22:43

haha

alot of the races are cliche (as has been mentioned already) As in the actual original rules and models were based on something else which in itself was a cliche in the first place!

"I'll be back"!

If no one gets that, the first termin... sorry i mean Necrons were based on terminator with the rule "we'll be back" :p

Imperialis_Dominatus
02-12-2007, 22:44
(For the last time, Slaaneesh is excessive, not kinky!)

So the two are mutually exclusive then? Why not excessive kinkiness? :p

Tanith Ghost
02-12-2007, 22:46
Along with people intolerant of anyone having fun of any kind.:rolleyes: Or people with old men for avatars. :p

"And Imperial defences were stretched to the limit holding back x enemy assault...."

Is it reall outside the realm of possibility that a tau colony's defenses were shattered outright by the sheer brutality of the encroaching hive fleet? Or that the dark eldar
blitzed in past the bewildered boyz on the perimiter before they could react?

Some xeno on xeno conflict is a good thing. Or Chaos on Xenos even.

VetSgtNamaan
02-12-2007, 23:00
You can very easily play 40k and not care about winning. I know I have several armies that I love to play but are not as competitive as others. Then of course I have my tournament armies that are not so fun for my opponent to play against.

SO I guess my pet peeve would be blanket statements :)

Really though there are many reasons to get involved in any hobby winning may or may not be one of them. Just like certain friends of mine who spends hundreds if not thousands on hockey gear new sticks skates and such just to play hockey.
Or those I know who probably spend more on golf in a year than I probably have ever spent on 40k since I started playing it.

szlachcic
02-12-2007, 23:32
Personally, I'd rather lose a tight game, than win a massacre. As ankara halla said, it's not the end result, it's the journey.

QFT

On Saturday I played against a close friend's Eldar army with my Blood Angels. It was a Cityfight mission that required us to hold the central building at the end of the game. The game started off well for me, but eventually started swapping back and forth.

At the end he only had one scoring unit, a unit of wraithguard which seemed to have magical power fist avoidance charms. I had two scoring units left, but unfortunately one, a combat squad, failed a leadership test and fled from the objective, and the second, a devastator squad, was slowed down enough by difficult terrain so they couldn't make it close enough to the objective.

It was a hell of a game and so much more fun then any of my wins due to a massacre.

One of my least favorite cliches is when people say you can only use armies a certain way for them to be effective. This only promotes people to create the same builds over and over, thus stagnating the game.

pwrgmrguard
03-12-2007, 01:01
MY favorite Cliche/overly used thing is threads getting blatantly hijacked. like this one.

PseudoK
03-12-2007, 04:14
Oh, I forgot a group of cliches that _really_ get under my skin.

Anything remotely effeminate in the game is obviously lame, and likely to lose a lot. Sisters of Battle (aka, Battle Bitches, Sisters of the Red Rage, etc.)? The female version of Space Marines, and therefore explanatory of how crappy their codex somehow is.

Eldar? Pansy flower picking (sometimes gay, depending on the speaker) bards - or clowns, for the Harlequins - and therefore likely to lose to big hulking manly Space Marines. Unless they're winning, in which case they're broken. See my previous post on annoying cliches.

Honestly, I'd be scared out of my mind if psychotic super dogmatic women reminiscent of the Spanish Inquisition came at me with huge flame throwers and long range microwaves. Or for Eldar, the five hundred year old fast-as-hell super focused warriors ready to carve up anyone who isn't Eldar. And I don't think I'd ever bring up the fact that they're not chunky Space Marines. ;)

<rant off>

azimaith
03-12-2007, 04:19
Oh, I forgot a group of cliches that _really_ get under my skin.

Anything remotely effeminate in the game is obviously lame, and likely to lose a lot. Sisters of Battle (aka, Battle Bitches, Sisters of the Red Rage, etc.)? The female version of Space Marines, and therefore explanatory of how crappy their codex somehow is.

SoB don't suck in game. Sounds like your getting angry about the FSM thread :P.

Eldar? Pansy flower picking (sometimes gay, depending on the speaker) bards - or clowns, for the Harlequins - and therefore likely to lose to big hulking manly Space Marines. Unless they're winning, in which case they're broken. See my previous post on annoying cliches.

You mean smurfs? Cause smurfs are so manly. Every army has a deragatory name for it save for orks. I think your applying sex to something thats common to all armies.

Polonius
03-12-2007, 04:52
I think your applying sex to something thats common to all armies.

A wise man once said that if you can't apply sex to something, you're simply not trying hard enough.

Sekhmet
03-12-2007, 07:20
A wise man once said that if you can't apply sex to something, you're simply not trying hard enough.

Referring to rule 34?

"My father used to say that not playing to win is like sleeping with your sister. Sure she's a great piece of tail, with a blouse full of goodies, but... it's just illegal. Then you get into that whole inbred thing. Kids with no teeth who do nothing but play the banjo... eat apple sauce through a straw... pork farm animals."

RexTalon
03-12-2007, 10:17
The one Cliche thing I hate about 40k is the people who play it.

Lord Cook
03-12-2007, 11:42
Every army has a deragatory name for it save for orks.

Greenskins?

And what's the name for Guard?

Freak Ona Leash
03-12-2007, 11:49
Greenskins?

The Imperial Cannon Fodder.

Useless, Wimps, Flashlight-wielding Nancy-boys, Pathetic Excuses for Soldiers...

Yep, thats the Guard for ya,

jfjnpxmy
03-12-2007, 12:26
I'd quite like it if more people important people died in 40k. Not "assumed dead following a large but survivable explosion", not "disappeared into the warp 200 years ago", not "flew off one day muttering something cryptic" but just plain old "killed by a bullet to the head, and is definitely dead".

Captain Micha
03-12-2007, 12:49
Guard, my personal favorite. Imperial Whipping boys. straight from Gw attitude towards them.

Tau... hippies, and goody goodies... so tell me, what's so goody goody about a race who is driven off of mind control? And mind controlled another race? Oh and don't forget that whole if you don't willingly join them they just won't go "okay, we'll be going now" no they go "okay... you had your chance... boys... open fire"

Necrons... dull and boring... and what's exactly exciting about your 6 man team of blue marines? I bet my Necron fluff that I made is better than most of the people's fluff that whine about how dull Necrons are. (and that my army is better painted too)

Necrons, "I hatez themz they are teh cheezorz" ..... I'm not even going there.

Eldar. Cliche "Eldar players are the best tacticians out of anyone. That's why they win so much" riiiiiight.

And the mack daddy of them all
Chaos "Our codex sucks" Denial mantra.......Actually this extends to all races upon a new codex release. Save for maybe Tau.

Orks. cliche "We aren't -that- bad off. We can still win tournaments" riiiiight... so why is it when you field it's like shooting fish in a barrel for me?

azimaith
03-12-2007, 20:26
Greenskins?

Cannon fodder.

Sekhmet
04-12-2007, 21:06
Oh here's another cliche that annoys me.

=][=