PDA

View Full Version : iphone any one got one and can give some info one it?

Deamon-forge
01-12-2007, 09:59
Ok i am intressted in buying a iphone, but just woundering how other people are geting on with theres? and are they worth 300+

And with the Nes and Gameboy emulaters can you add new games to it thro your pc???

also i will not begeting it on contract

marv335
01-12-2007, 10:20
one of my mates has one, in his own words "it's a piece of crap"
he replaced his n95 to get it and really regrets it.
once you get past the shiny interface it's a couple of generations behind the rest of the UK phone market.
Hype over substance, not worth the high cost and restrictive contract.

Notorius
01-12-2007, 15:09
The only "special" thing about the iPhone is it's touch screen. There's nothing else it does that other phones can do and for cheaper.

Bear in mind that in total the iPhone will be 899 when you add up the cost of the handset and the 18 month minimum contract.

Basically it's only getting rave review because it's an Apple product IMO.

yaspro
01-12-2007, 15:12
they break very easily and mostly hard usable.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-12-2007, 16:06
Take my advice.

Get a phone with a memory port and an MP3 player. Jobs a good 'un for a fraction of the cost!

I just can't see where it's preferable in function to any other phone. Personally, I always find my phone screen getting scratched up, so the touch screen isn't that much of a bonus!

Sgt John Keel
01-12-2007, 16:19
Personally, I always find my phone screen getting scratched up, so the touch screen isn't that much of a bonus!

This is probably because most phones use a plastic cover for the display. The iPhone uses glass, which is much more scratch resistant.

/Adrian

Agrip. Varenus Denter
01-12-2007, 16:21
I bought one and sold it rather quickly. Aside from looking pretty - it had far less features and usability than I had expected, even for an Apple product. You're far better off with - for example - a newer Sony Ericsson or Nokia.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-12-2007, 16:38
This is probably because most phones use a plastic cover for the display. The iPhone uses glass, which is much more scratch resistant.

/Adrian

Yay! Shatterage instead of Scratchings when I inevitably drop it! Woooo!

Stupid Pub.....

Sgt John Keel
01-12-2007, 17:36
Yay! Shatterage instead of Scratchings when I inevitably drop it! Woooo!

Stupid Pub.....

Actually, in the videos I've seen it doesn't shatter until you step on it. Not that it helps in a pub.

/Adrian

Satan
01-12-2007, 19:06
Completely satisfied with using it. It's easy to handle and intuitive. I don't see this point where it says that it had less features than any other phone or should be lagging behind the rest of the market. I've never had one that could run videos, mp3s, games and roms on top of the usual features without a huge amount of hassle. I think it's fantastic, but yes, the price is steep.

redbaron998
01-12-2007, 21:09
I might pick one up in a year or so, it depends if my Ipod stays alive to when my current phone runs up. May be cheaper by then to buy the Iphone instead of a phone and Ipod...really just depends on how fast the IPhone goes down in price

The Guy
01-12-2007, 21:16
Cheaper phone+Ipod = around 200-300
Iphone [as previously stated] =800+
Hmm...
Also taking into account the inevibility of the touch screen thing malfunctioning...then you'd be like a man in a river with no arms or legs...

redyellowpinkgreen
01-12-2007, 21:49
buy a sansa e280 and rockbox it for music and buy a phone for phoneing/texting

Notorius
01-12-2007, 22:15
I might pick one up in a year or so, it depends if my Ipod stays alive to when my current phone runs up. May be cheaper by then to buy the Iphone instead of a phone and Ipod...really just depends on how fast the IPhone goes down in price

What annoys me about the iPhone is people (mostly commercial reviewers) giving the phone rave reviews and going on about all it's new technology where as it's just a normal smart phone with a touch screen and an Apple logo to give it the extra added 'value'.

Personally I just upgraded my phone to a Nokia N95 8GB and it cost me all of 100 + the 25 a month contract (and 7.50 for the data package) and it can do everything the iPhone can do just without the touch screen.

Deamon-forge
01-12-2007, 22:47
Ok thanks all for the replys There is a lot of mixed fealings about it, i will be buying it of Ebay,

Could any one who knows about the Gameboy emulater / roms can i add games (roms) iv already got on to it??? if so what files are they????

Cheers

Agrip. Varenus Denter
02-12-2007, 08:35
Could any one who knows about the Gameboy emulater / roms can i add games (roms) iv already got on to it??? if so what files are they????

I think the staff'll take issue with that question, as Gameboy ROMs are copywritten. This forum may not be the best place to ask about that.

Some guy (UK)
02-12-2007, 08:53
A friend of my dad got an iphone last week. Within hours he regretted it. Now, he is stuck with the thing, and a hefty contract that is going to cost him over 1000.

He ain't happy...

Aaron
02-12-2007, 12:33
A friend of my dad got an iphone last week. Within hours he regretted it. Now, he is stuck with the thing, and a hefty contract that is going to cost him over 1000.

He ain't happy...

Did he buy it online or in a physical shop? If it was online then he has 14 days from delivery to return it for a full refund under the Distance Sales Act.

Some guy (UK)
02-12-2007, 14:39
He doesn't live near where I do (as such I don't know him personally), but I think its safe to presume he got it from a store on the high street.

Still, surely he must be able to get a refund, or is the iphone contract made so that you can't get a refund?

heretics bane
02-12-2007, 15:31
How to make one in a few easy steps: get a good new phone, tape an ipod to back of phone hay presto:p

800 for a mobile! way to much even if it is apple made, i think 200 phones are abit to expensive

The pestilent 1
02-12-2007, 15:52
Mine was like Twenty quid and is utterly indestructible.

Alas, this means Ive only ever had two phones my entire life, so my Battlesuit is a wee bit behind schedule.

Sgt John Keel
02-12-2007, 16:22
I think the staff'll take issue with that question, as Gameboy ROMs are copywritten. This forum may not be the best place to ask about that.

Doesn't matter if you already own the original, so there should be no problem discussing that. Downloading roms from an illegal source, on the other hand, is another issue entirely.

He ain't happy...

Early termination fees are usually less than 100, right?

/Adrian

Notorius
02-12-2007, 20:11
800 for a mobile! way to much even if it is apple made, i think 200 phones are abit to expensive

In all fairness it's only 899 when you add the contract on top. Although it's still expensive at 269 just for the phone.

Aaron
02-12-2007, 20:36
Early termination fees are usually less than 100, right?

Not in the UK, no. Terminating your contract early means paying off the rest of the contract (i.e. 17 x 35).

Some guy (UK)
02-12-2007, 20:52
Not in the UK, no. Terminating your contract early means paying off the rest of the contract (i.e. 17 x 35).

Wow. Never having had a contract phone (I simply wouldn't use up the minutes/texts/etc), I wasn't expecting that to be the case.

To be honest, ten minutes on the internet would have told him the iphone wasn't for him. Still, he'll live and learn :p