PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Wood Elf Army first attempt

Sinew
16-09-2005, 10:28
This was my first try at making a Wood Elf army, it's a kind of Jack-of-all-Trades list. I haven't had a go with them on the tabletop yet, so I don't know how the Wood Elves should be slanted so I wanted a bit of everything... then I ran out of points so this is what I settled for.

Characters: 828

Treeman Ancient, (General) annoyance of netlings (yeah I know it's cliche).

Noble, great eagle, great weapon, light armour, enchanted shield, hail of doom arrow.

Branchwraith (level 1) cluster of radiants, pageant of shrikes

Spellsinger 2 x dispel scroll

Core: 742

2 x 10 Glade Guard (spellsinger hides in one unit, unless enemy has nothing to stop her going on her own)

5 Scouts

5 Glade Riders, musician

3 x 8 Dryads (Branchwraith hides in one unit)

Special: 427

6 Wild Riders, musician and standard

7 Wardancers, musician

3 Warhawk Riders

Army Total 1997
Power dice: 4 (2 spells, 2 bound treesinging)
Dispel dice: 5 (and two scrolls)

I think I've got quite a varied list there. I can see myself being very good at taking out enemy light cavalry, skirmishers, small units, war machines and lone characters. It would take a bit of effort to kill enemy knights (unless they obligingly engaged the Treeman) and I'd really need to turn a flank to overrun a horde army. However I do think most horde armies rely on their support units (ratling guns, artillery, chariots etc) which I'd probably be able to kill/neutralise quite quickly. What do people think?

Bergtorp
16-09-2005, 12:20
Where's the Spellsinger??

Sinew
16-09-2005, 13:46
Ah...er... it seems due to the onset of some sort of hitherto undiagnosed mental disorder I just didn't bother to put her down in the characters section. I have now edited the post to correct this mistake.

Sinew
19-09-2005, 09:27
No one has anything to say about my army? Have I really created an army which cannot be improved on? :D

Wreckage
19-09-2005, 11:30
I would definitely find the points (35) to upgrade your Scouts to Waywatchers. They're SO much better for 7 points each.

Whats the scoop on the eagle riding noble? He seems bizarre. Maybe you can drop him for more troops?

Wreckage
19-09-2005, 11:37
I think I've got quite a varied list there. I can see myself being very good at taking out enemy light cavalry, skirmishers, small units, war machines and lone characters. It would take a bit of effort to kill enemy knights (unless they obligingly engaged the Treeman) and I'd really need to turn a flank to overrun a horde army. However I do think most horde armies rely on their support units (ratling guns, artillery, chariots etc) which I'd probably be able to kill/neutralise quite quickly. What do people think?

Waywatchers and Wardancers are good against knights with their killing blow. Let your opponent charge (within reason)the wardancers and do the 4+ Ward save dance.

How do you plan to deal with chariots, most notably T5 ones?

Sinew
19-09-2005, 13:50
Whats the scoop on the eagle riding noble? He seems bizarre. Maybe you can drop him for more troops? I just included him because my regular opponent fields 2 Pegasus riding Empire captains a lot and I find them really annoying. I figured I could take a unit of warhawks and the eagle riding Noble to try to re-create the effect. They're faster and more maneuverable than a unit of light cavalry, and are useful for throwing into combats that need a few wounds to make them a certain victory. Warhawks are good for running off missile troops but could concede wounds if thrown into combat against solid combat troops, the hero does both.

I would definitely find the points (35) to upgrade your Scouts to Waywatchers. They're SO much better for 7 points each. I could drop the Treeman Ancient with the AoN and replace him with a normal Treeman, this would free up enough points to upgrade the Scouts to Waywatchers. I agree that Waywatchers are better, especially if they're my only scout unit. This would also allow me enough points to upgrade the Noble's Enchanted shield to the Helm of the Hunt (which I'd originally planned for him) and include a normal shield as well. That way he now has 4 WS7 attacks on the charge and still has a 4+ save. That also leaves me about 20 points to spare, not sure what to do with these.

How do you plan to deal with chariots, most notably T5 ones? Hmmm, assuming my opponent didn't do anything stupid like letting me charge them I'd have to play carefully. T5 chariots are another thing the Eagle riding hero could kill quite well, because even if they're hidden between blocks of infantry he'll be able to get in and hurt them quite badly with his S6. Otherwise I'd have to rely on using Treesinging to cut off their lines of charge.