PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone out there shipped their stuff overseas?

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 16:24
Wasn't certain where to put this, as it applies to WH Fantasy and 40K alike, but I moved from Ireland to the US a few months ago, and am still waiting for all my stuff to arrive here. That includes my WH miniatures. My question is this: has anyone out there had to ship their stuff transatlantic, and if so, did it arrive intact?

My minis are (I hope safely) stowed in GW miniature cases, but they've been in transit (or at least, have been moved from warehouse to warehouse) for over three months now. Has anybody gone through the same thing, and did they have to spend weeks repairing their armies, or were they good to go as soon as they arrived?

Vic
01-12-2007, 16:56
Well, not transatlantic, but I did move over 300 miles. My metal models faired the worst, as they broke to their constituent parts, my plastics didnt do so poorly (except for antenna on tanks and flesh hooks on Nids). Also lost a sponson on an old Predator.

In short, metal doesnt transport well.

Side note, my vinyl Horizon Mechwarrior Madcat shattered a leg (which I glued back together), and a resin dread split/chipped, but I think that was due in part to my bad packing of the two items.

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 17:31
Thanks for the reply, Vic. I had a feeling that all might not be well when my stuff arrives. I tend to pin my metal models, but I don't know if that's going to help them. You say your models travelled 300 miles? I think mine will be travelling more than 3000 miles, and will be handled a lot on the way. Ireland to England, moved around in England then onto the ship, then it arrives in New York. From there, it all goes to Chicago, and from there to here. My stuff is going to be in bits, isn't it?

Vic
01-12-2007, 18:01
With that many hands handling it, it is almost certain you will be gluing stuff back together. And I had some of the models which broke pinned. Pinning helped, but it wasnt the panacea I would have hoped.

Did you mark it as fragile and insured it? I had worked for a while loading trucks for a shipper, and I did handle boxes marked as fragile with better care than the bulk boxes.

Hoping all works out for you, and WELCOME TO AMERICA!!

What brings you out here btw?

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 18:21
I marked it 'fragile', and it's insured, but insurance money doesn't pay for the work you put into something - as you know! Still, it's at least some comfort. And yes, my worry is that with the shipment changing hands so often, that something is bound to break. I just hope that 'something' isn't 'everything'...

I came to the U.S. for a job. I teach American Literature, so it made sense. Enjoying it so far, but it's taking some getting used to. The gaming club helps - it's always nice to have a welcoming bunch of people with similar interests!

fwacho
01-12-2007, 19:14
okay I've sold overseas to england once but had the sale cancelled when England leveled an $80 (40 pound) customs fee on my necron army. Well the army ended up being shipped back to me. (it was marked fragile) It was actaully in pretty good shape. (I think i reglued like one item) It 's not the breakage you have to worry about. Customs will kill ya.

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 19:34
Thanks, Fwacho. My wife and I were moving personally, so it wasn't just miniatures, it was everything, so I knew to expect customs fees. What I'm worried about is how intact the miniatures (and terrain!) will be. I make a lot of terrain, but really only packed and shipped the stuff I really like, but however fragile minis are, terrain is worse. We'll see, I suppose.

gorenut
01-12-2007, 19:42
Yea you definitely need to pack your models as tightly as possible as to have no possibility of jarring. I worked at the UPS for a while and packages serious take a beating. People aren't going to gingerly place your package when they have to scan and handle 1500 packages in 4 hrs, per person.

Vic
01-12-2007, 20:25
@gorenut:
Did you load trucks for UPS too? I had the northeast corridor, Parsipanny hub. I loaded 75ft containers. Was great for a workout, but man did that work beat you senseless...

Count Sinister
01-12-2007, 20:46
Well, I think some of it might be in trouble, in that case. Most of the minis are just in a GW carry case as they would normally be if I was taking them to a battle. The terrain is bubble wrapped and tightly packed into plastic containers, so maybe it will actually fare better than my minis! Maybe it's a good thing that I am starting a new army (Empire), as my Brets will arrive the same way I got them when I bought the unit boxes in the store (sigh). When I say I'm starting my Empire army, I mean that literally. I converted and assembled 8 militia today. At least I know they're safe!
Thanks for the feedback on this, Vic and Gorenut.