PDA

View Full Version : Would LotR ruleset work for Historicals

Etienne de Beaugard
02-12-2007, 01:13
Hi,

I've heard a lot of praise for the LotR rules set, both for fluid play and for better realism. Would the game work for skirmish level medieval historical games? Are special characters needed, or could more 'realistic' leaders work?

Rhamag
02-12-2007, 01:30
The Heroic Actions which characters allow through Might points add another interesting tactical level to the game. These actions, if sucessful, allow a hero and those within a radius to move, shoot or fight out of turn, before the opponent can act with his models.

I don't think you need special characters with huge stats, but some sort of hero definitely adds to the gameplay in this way.

LotR would do you nicely, I think. There's already a bunch of models whose stats and points costs you could use. Most of the human rank & file would do just fine with a name change. Like you've seen/read, Rohan have little armour, and are nifty horsemen. Gondor are more heavily armoured, and have proper knights mounted/foot. There's a whole bunch more whose names I forget. You could even have peasant mobs represented by goblin rules! Probably the only thing missing is ranked units, which probably doesn't matter for a skirmish game.

Odin
02-12-2007, 11:44
I believe Warhammer Historical's Wild West and new Pirates games are based on the LotR ruleset.

But it would work pretty well for almost any historical setting. I was writing up some rules for medieval battles using the LotR rules. Abviously characters like Aragorn and Sauron are out of the question, but captains, kings etc. are of a pretty sensible level - I like the fact that the heroic stats mean they don't have to be given massively OTT characteristics.

C-Coen
02-12-2007, 11:59
Yeah, I think the LotR rules could work pretty well.
Good choice on different warriors, who aren't that different.
You can see for yourself which formations fit certain armies well
(For example: Roma vs Gaul. Romans could be Guys of Minas Tirith, with some light armoured archers (rangers) and knights (knights of Minas Tirith). They would advance in a block. Throw in a bolt thrower and a captain or two and you're done.
The ancient frenchmen would probably be a mix of Wildmen of Dunland, both the armoured as the non-armoured ones.)

Hmm... I begin liking this idea more and more!

Killshot
02-12-2007, 13:09
I am a member of the Lotr Variants yahoo group, and the ruleset is fantastic. I personally lmit the Might Points for "With Me" rolls, but that is up to you.

Odin
03-12-2007, 12:39
I am a member of the Lotr Variants yahoo group, and the ruleset is fantastic. I personally lmit the Might Points for "With Me" rolls, but that is up to you.

Actually, I think might is fine as a way of showing the impact a good leader can have, despite having pretty ordinary stats.

I'd consider removing fate altogether though. Might make sense I suppose if you want to represent someone's chances of survival (King Harold in the Battle of Hastings is a good candidat for Fate 0 for example), but it's not really a realistic approach, so it depends how realistic you want to be.

Codsticker
03-12-2007, 18:57
Here (http://www.wargamesjournal.com/pdfs/Uther_Pendragon.pdf) is an example of using LoTR rules for a semi-historical skirmish.

Etienne de Beaugard
07-12-2007, 18:36
Thanks for the info so far. I'm seriously considering using LotR for some Darl Ages era skirmish games. Thus comes the next question, which version of the game should I get. I would like:

A) To have a set of current and complete rules.

B) To get the rules in the most inexpensive way possible (probably used on ebay).

C) I want basic stats for humans and animals, but I don't need complete stats for all the various wraiths, magical critters, etc.

Which version/s are OK to get for this purpose?

Odin
07-12-2007, 19:00
Thanks for the info so far. I'm seriously considering using LotR for some Darl Ages era skirmish games. Thus comes the next question, which version of the game should I get. I would like:

A) To have a set of current and complete rules.

B) To get the rules in the most inexpensive way possible (probably used on ebay).

C) I want basic stats for humans and animals, but I don't need complete stats for all the various wraiths, magical critters, etc.

Which version/s are OK to get for this purpose?

Just the main rulebook I think, that's as cheap as you'll get. Also includes rules for sieges and some scenarios, so it's pretty useful. You'll have all the rules for wraiths etc. but that's unavoidable really.

Etienne de Beaugard
07-12-2007, 20:02
My main concern was whether the rules have been significantly updated since they were first released. Does the current rules set included significant changes for gameplay, or can I pick up an old book from the TTT or RotK box and have a set of usable rules?

Killshot
07-12-2007, 21:55
I think the RotK rules would be pretty close.

Here is a cost calculator, it is a bit out of date: http://membres.lycos.fr/l01c/lotrcostcalc.html

Odin
16-12-2007, 11:34
I was trying to write up rules for re-enacting 100-Years War battles using the LotR rules. Problem is that the bow rules are completely out. A longbowman could fire 12 shots a minute, while a crossbowman could only fire one at best in the same time. Which is why at Crecy the initial skirmish between the longbowmen and crossbowmen was pretty one-sided. But if you use the standard rules for longbows and crossbows on an open field, the crossbows will win.

So I'm having to change it so that bow-armed troops can fire three times in the shooting phase. They'll have to be more expensive though!