PDA

View Full Version : A Cheap Army

The UnNamed One
02-12-2007, 06:15
Well, I am planning on starting a second army, and im looking for something cheap. I plan to make it a 1k points army, that can expand into 1500, but will probably stop there. Deathwing is the obvious one, any example lists?. i would like to stay away from Chaos as i already have an army of those.
General ideas on list types that would be cheap would be great, an actualy list would be even better.

starlight
02-12-2007, 06:27
Anything second hand. :)

Armoured Company, especially with the Apocalypse box of ten tanks through a discounter.

Orks because you can scratch-build most of their vehicles and kitbash many options, saving lots of cash.

The UnNamed One
02-12-2007, 06:50
Yeh second hand Deathwing seem quite appealing due to their low cost, I have considered armoured company, but they dont seem like an army i would enjoy playing.
Orks seem like an expensive army since you would need to buy alot of models. Scratchbuilding vehicles would save alot of money, but they would probably not be to cheap.

dark-hamish
02-12-2007, 06:52
In the intrest of not breaking any rules on copyright info, I won't give point values or specific equipment options. I will say though that in dollar value, Sammael on a jet bike ($35 us) 2 ravenwing box squadrons ($90 us, ea) and a biker chaplin ($35 us) is a very good start (only $250 us) and not a bad tactical option to build on. Properly equiped, you will actually be at almost 1500 points. May sound overpriced point wise, but it works very well once you get the hang of it. It is also cheaper, dollar wise, than the 5 or 6 squad boxes of Termies, without having an HQ option.

Just my 2¢ worth. (us) ;-)

DinoDoc
02-12-2007, 06:52
Grey Knights? Yes, it's an all metal army but the point values will serve to keep the cash down.

The UnNamed One
02-12-2007, 07:13
Pricewise i was looking at keeping under $300 NZ for a 1k army. The suggested Ravenwing comes to around $400 NZ. Deathwing seem cheap, with a 1k list sitting around $280 NZ, and from eBay or TradeMe that would probably be $140-$200 NZ.
GK's were an option, but they dont seem right for me, i have played a few game with my mates GK's, and they dont realy play with my style.
How cheap are battlesuit (XV8's and the Stealth ones) heavy Tau?

starlight
02-12-2007, 07:22
The Tau Interdiction force - 9 Crisis, 3 Stealth, 19 Drones
Tau Megaforce - 3 Stealth Suits, 20 Fire Warriors, 6 Gun Drones, 1 Devilfish, 1 Hammerhead, 3 Piranhas and 2 Crisis Suits

Get through a discounter and you could be set.

The UnNamed One
02-12-2007, 07:36
Roughly how many points would the Interdiction force after upgrades etc? And how many $ (any currency) would it cost?

starlight
02-12-2007, 07:50
It's on the Aus GW site under Apoc. You'll have to look locally for discounters and such to get accurate prices.

Depends on how you kit them out... You can load up your HQs to burn points, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't do 1200-1500pts with your basic two Fire Warrior squads with effective loadouts. You'd have Troops to taste and heavy on the HQ/Elite/FA.

The UnNamed One
02-12-2007, 07:55
I looked on the site and the one with battlesuits+drones its the Insertion force, the interdiction is the skimmer one.
How would the Insertion force, 2 fire warrior boxes and some more stealth suits do for an army?

Im off for tonight, i will be reading any other replies tomorrow.

Darkseer
02-12-2007, 08:51
I looked on the site and the one with battlesuits+drones its the Insertion force, the interdiction is the skimmer one.
How would the Insertion force, 2 fire warrior boxes and some more stealth suits do for an army?

Im off for tonight, i will be reading any other replies tomorrow.

I think it'd be pretty terrible. It wouldn't be cheap either. Tau need tanks to do really well.

The cheapest army in the game is Thousand Sons, but you already play chaos.

Deathwing are next, but they really suck in the new codex.

Ravenwing are an EXCELLENT choice for cheapness.
3 battleforces + master on bike/landspeeder comes to about 1,500pts, but you need to order 6 melta guns and 3 powerfists for your sergeants.
That's £150 if you bought from an online store (not GW)

Trickle
02-12-2007, 10:38
I'd see what took my fancy 2nd hand wise in unpainted plastic or metal that could be easily stripped.

Eg. something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1200-point-Tau-Warhammer-40K-40000-Army_W0QQitemZ320187544422QQihZ011QQcategoryZ44123 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).
Edit. Thats maybe too painted if you want to paint yourself, but there are loads of individual squad lots on the go.

Norsehawk
02-12-2007, 11:15
Necrons win the game for being cheap as dirt. the $90 usd battleforce contains around 750 points worth of models, 2 troops (or more depending on how you split them up) 2 fast attack. Add a hq, and you have a basic army ready to go.

susu.exp
02-12-2007, 13:47
The Interdiction force can be build to roughly 1k. You´d still have to add troops and might want to have FA choices apart from drones or HS.

victorpofa
02-12-2007, 13:47
You can also get a legal Tyranids army with 1 Battleforce. An effective looking one with two. That's $180 US for a roughly 1500 point army.

HQ
3 Tyranid Warriors – 112 points
Enhanced senses, extended carapace, toxin sacs, scything talons, one venom cannon, one devourer, one fleshborer.

Elites
3 Tyranid Warriors – 126
Adrenal glands (+1I ), Bio-plasma, extended carapace, toxin sacs, scything talons, scything talons, leaping. Two sets of scything talons for 4 base attacks each.

Troops
Termagant Brood - 172
16 Termagants with fleshborer, toxin sacs, and scuttlers.

Hormagaunt Brood – 240
16 hormagaunts with Adrenal glands (+1I ), extended carapace, toxin sacs, flesh hooks

Genestealer Brood – 224
8 Genestealers with extended carapace, toxin sacs, scything talons, flesh hooks.

Genestealer Brood – 224
8 Genestealers with extended carapace, toxin sacs, scything talons, flesh hooks.

Heavy Support
Carnifex (Dakkafex) – 208
Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Bonded Exoskeleton, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chitin

Carnifex (CCfex) – 194
Adrenal Gland (+1 WS), Bio-plasma, Bonded Exoskeleton, Reinforced Chitin, Regenerate, Crushing Claws, Scything Talons
-----

Add a Tyrant or Brood Lord (one unit of Genestealers then become his bodyguard) if you wish and move the HQ warriors to another slot. Maybe give them wings and make them Fast Attack.

Gobbo666
02-12-2007, 14:29
ohh those `nids look hard how in hell can 1 of the point cheapest armys have such a good deal???
only problem seems lack of synapse but of course you can ad a zoanthrope or 2

The Laughing God
02-12-2007, 16:10
Nidzilla list!

2 Hive Tyrants,

6 Carnifex,

and 2 small squads of rippers.

It's fun to play, and they are pretty powerful,

Darkseer
02-12-2007, 16:23
I used to do cheap armies.
They got butchered, every damn time.

Spend a bit more and enjoy the hobby. After all, you don't have to buy it all at once.

catbarf
02-12-2007, 16:24
I made a 1500pt Forge World Renegade Militia list that would only cost $400. No joke.

Doctor Thunder
02-12-2007, 16:29
If you use bartertown and ebay, then any army can be had on the cheap.

Jmznudd
02-12-2007, 17:01
NECRON.

Probably the cheapest basic army you can buy. More points per model than a marine and an expensive Lord (point-wise).

You can buy a Necron battle force (28 warriors, 7 scarabs, 3 destroyers) and 1 Necron Lord (almost 1000 points) for less than $100 if you go through Neill at the War Store. Add 2 Destroyers (for a total of 5), a Monolith and maybe a destroyer lord for another $100. So for about $200 you get a 1500 point Necron army which is fairly nasty and isn't second hand.

Nice thing is, if you don't want to spend the money to buy metal Necron, you can buy another box of warriors and convert them into Immortals and a Lord or 2.

-Jmz

Gobbo666
02-12-2007, 17:59
the nids are still cheaper with $180 for 1500pts

BrotherAdso
02-12-2007, 19:24
I would also chime in that a good Guard basic army can be made on the cheap, with the aid of a bitz box, because of the convertability of the basic Cadian.

A pair of Battleforces and a pair of Armored Fist Squads from The Warstore will only run you 230, and you get sixty cadians, six heavy weapons (which can, in reality, make at least 14-18...) two Chimerae, and two Leman Russes. That comes to roughly 1,000 points of delicious firepower-tastic Guardsmen, and an awful lot of targets at 1000pts.

That's actually exactly how I built the first part of my Guard. Just remember to use bitz to convert yourself some plasma gunners and the like -- cause the metal cadian ones are a dead rip-off. I'm a big fan of SM Assault Squad plasma pistols grafted onto the Cadian Flamer.

-Adso

Ben
03-12-2007, 00:27
Best advice, find an army that you like and then wach ebay/bartertown/discount stores/ask people at your club if they are lookings to get rid of anything.

My 1500 point deathwing army cost me about £75, and two squads of terminators were new.Now I just have to paint them all.

Ordo Ouroboros
03-12-2007, 01:31
Recnetly managed to keep atleast 2000 new points of Chaos (added to my 4000 point army) at least under $150 thanks to ebay

The UnNamed One
03-12-2007, 03:35
Well thing is, there are no armys that stand out as THE army to get. The 'Nids idea lokks great for what comes in 2 battleforces, i didnt think they would be cheap with the amount of guants, and the price of TMC's, but that list has proved me wrong.
Roughly how much would a 1000 or 1500 point Lord/Warrior/'Lith list cost in $$ (any currency), i was thinking 2 'Liths because of the Phlanax deal.
What would be the cost of a 3 Flacon Mech Eldar list? since theres a nice deal on 3 flacons.
So far Ravenwing, Deathwing and those 'Nids are the ones that stand out to me, any other army ideas would be a great help.

Ordo Ouroboros
03-12-2007, 04:02
Best thing abot the nid force is what yo can make out of it without going to another box. want a plastic licto, nothing a warrior sprue, a feeder tendril head and sything talons wont fix. Hive tyrant out of tyranid spares? Easy? Just look in one box and you'll see the potential for cheap right there

elvinltl
03-12-2007, 08:07
Nidzilla... Just buy a few big bugs and your army is complete.

The UnNamed One
03-12-2007, 08:24
Nidzilla is more expensive than you think, those TMC's are $75 NZ each, Nidzilla has 6+, Those 6 alone are $450NZ. unless there is an Apocalypse 'Nid box with the big bugs in it?
well i suppose its time to borrow some codex's and see what list takes my liking, Thanks so far all.
I had a look at some of 'Nid sprues and i agree with you Ordo, some spares and a bit of GS could make some nice and easy conversions.

starlight
03-12-2007, 08:35
There *is* a Nidpocalypse box.:)

MuttMan
03-12-2007, 08:51
You said deathwing, so I'll deliver, since nobody is adressing what it would cost to make a 1k DW army.

First, comes Belail, moderate points and costs the amount your willing to convert to make him. (Theres no model for him, wtf?)

Next are some termies, 3 Boxes of them are rounded about 735 points. Thats with an assault cannon with each squad.

Now, to fill the last 135 points (hint hint), pick a tank or something else useful, like a speeder or two with multimeltas, mainly direct this end towards anti-tank, and since terminators work well with vehicles (small arms fire has issues with both vehicles and termies) even a dread will work fine.

cost you about, 205 dollars for the 3 termie boxes, a terminator blister pack for your character, and 40 to spend on a vehicle to fill the last 135 points, your choice of course.

Easy E
03-12-2007, 10:14
I'm a fan of really cheap armies.

AC and orks are very cheap provided you can scratchbuild. Check my sig.

Also, if you can sculpt a bit, you can save yourself a ton of cash that way.

alphastealer
03-12-2007, 10:45
I found a good 1500pt army can be built from the following:
2x Necron battleforce
1x Necron lord
1x necron destoyer lord

That is 2 lords( with wargear), 2-3 decent warrior squads, 2 destoyer squads and 1 scarab swarm squad.

The UnNamed One
05-12-2007, 02:47
Well thanks for the ideas guys, i have decided to go with 'Nids.
The list i am aiming for is based around the one posted earlier, and if you want you can see it in the army lists forum "First Attempt At 'Nids".
I will get a project log going of them as soon as i get the first models.
Thread Closed