PDA

View Full Version : what would you pay?

dark-hamish
02-12-2007, 11:03
I am asking this question stricktly to get opinions.

What would you pay for prepainted minis? I realize that there are quite a few factors involved, ie quality, time of delivery, complexity and etc... But for the sake of arguement lets say this:

A ten man squad, based with sand and static grass, painted to the standard we see in the color plates in almost any codex with minor conversions and special basing for the squad leader and delivered within 2 weeks of order.

I am sure that is still pretty vauge for some, so just assume good quality all around as if the minis were strait from the box.

I am asking because of what I see stuff go for on ebay, and other sites. I also wonder how many find painting to be a bore, or if they would never dream of fielding any army they had not painted.

I find myself amazed that Golden Demon winning minis go for thousands of dollars on ebay and such. I myself would rather pay that money to have a few good lessons with the winning painter.

Thoughts?

Aflo
02-12-2007, 11:08
The standard commision price for said TT (table top level of painting) minis is roughly around the RRP of the item being painted. So for instance a 10 man SM squad would be about 18. That said, I would class the 'eavy metal style minis as above TT quality and so one should be prepared to pay more (an extra 5 or so?). It might sound alot, but it's the hobbyists time and materials you are paying for as much as anything else.

Regards
Adam

PlasticFork
02-12-2007, 11:10
I wouldn't buy prepainted mini's without the intention of painting them myself, because that's have the fun I get from it.. though a few lessons from a pro would not go amiss :D

Norsehawk
02-12-2007, 11:11
There is an issue here with that concept. If you are talking about having someone paint your figures for you, like a painting service. The time it takes to paint a miniature to a respectable quality easily outweighs the amount I would be willing to pay.

As a general rule, I would be willing to pay around $3-6 bucks for a high end paint job. The problem is, I would never accept that small of an amount for the work if I were doing commission work.

Also, considering some armies, even $3 a miniature gets expensive fast, consider the minimum sized Imperial Guard infantry platoon, thats $75 to get them painted... ouch!

Agrip. Varenus Denter
02-12-2007, 11:33
I would never buy a painted mini for myself... I really enjoy painting and prefer to do all of my own work. I've gotten them for kids in my school league before just because some of them feel terrible that they aren't the greatest painters yet - and want to field some nice models while they learn how to do it.

Grazzy
02-12-2007, 11:36
I would not be prepared to pay anything above the normal price cos i want my own minis. However, Aflo seems to have got the standard price.

Chupacabraplus
02-12-2007, 11:45
[QUOTE=Norsehawk;2145273]

As a general rule, I would be willing to pay around $3-6 bucks for a high end paint job. The problem is, I would never accept that small of an amount for the work if I were doing commission work.

QUOTE]

I think this guy has the right idea.

The models are already expensive, so I wouldn't be willing to pay a whole lot more on top of it, so I wouldn't be able to pay that much per mini- and they would have to be some really high end stuff because otherwise I could just do it myself.

On the same hand though I recognize that the art and skill and time it takes is worth so much more and I wouldnt expect someone to sell their time that cheaply. If you're gonna wind up making less than minimum wage doing it, it won't be worth it.

Fars
02-12-2007, 16:11
Simply, nothing.

As much as that's not the most helpful answer given the context of the question, I'm a painter first and gamer second.

If I couldn't paint I wouldn't game.

I just returned to the hobby after a break for a few years and I was heavily in to the Confrontation stuff before I left, when I returned I had every intention of returning with the same range. However, that companies decision to go with PPP mini's had me running a mile. Totally killing any aspirations of rebuilding armies and painting their range.

I just love painting far too much to ever want another to do it for me.

Now, being subjective, I will say I do understand why some of the best stuff goes for so much, if you factor in the hours (40, 60, whatever) on a model for a professional paint job I think it becomes easier to appreciate the value of some work.

Doctor Thunder
02-12-2007, 16:24
I'd be willing to pay up to the retail price of the model itself.

Fars
02-12-2007, 17:41
Simply, nothing.

As much as that's not the most helpful answer given the context of the question, I'm a painter first and gamer second.

If I couldn't paint I wouldn't game.

I just returned to the hobby after a break for a few years and I was heavily in to the Confrontation stuff before I left, when I returned I had every intention of returning with the same range. However, that companies decision to go with PPP mini's had me running a mile. Totally killing any aspirations of rebuilding armies and painting their range.

I just love painting far too much to ever want another to do it for me.

Now, being subjective, I will say I do understand why some of the best stuff goes for so much, if you factor in the hours (40, 60, whatever) on a model for a professional paint job I think it becomes easier to appreciate the value of some work.

Doctor Thunder
02-12-2007, 17:54
The key problem is that painting a model to a high standard takes a large amount of time, which means that even paying a painter minimum wage would make it far too expensive for all but the most wealthy to afford.
So, either the charge has to be high or the time it takes has to be low to make it work as a business model.

This leads to a tendency for there to be two kinds of painting services. Services that paint only one model or up to a squad for a high price, usually done by golden-demon winners, and services that specialize in painting entire armies using methods that are very quick but effective, like brand-x painting and blue table.

Surgency
02-12-2007, 19:12
under certain circumstances, I'm willing to pay a good amount for a painted army. For example, I commissioned a Deathwing army from Blue Table Painting, with Belial, an Interrogater Chaplain, a librarian, 3 vindicators, 2 land raiders, an apothecary, standard bearer, and two dreadnaughts, but the army looks beautiful. It was well worth the price I paid for it, though others might not agree. I am, though, painting the rest of a regular dark angels army myself. But thats an exceptional circumstance. I wouldn't commission just any old army to be painted, or any old squad, etc...

Spleendokta
02-12-2007, 20:53
I have thought about doing this. My job is very demanding of my time so I hardly ever get a chance to sit down and paint a single model let alone a platoon of models. I do have alot of disposible income due to this... but like I said its alot of working to get it. Blue Table Painting might be in my future hehe. I really do hate playing with unpainted models, and I am a decent painter but like I said, with work theres just no time anymore and I'd rather get in a game lately then paint. I'm sure others fall into this catagory as well.

Warpcrafter
02-12-2007, 21:42
I can paint a squad of 40K troops up to a pretty high standard over a weekend, so I would never pay anyone to do it for me, but if I had to do it for a living, I would have to charge quite a bit because I would get burned out pretty quick.

Zanzibarthefirst
02-12-2007, 21:49
I would say around 35%-45% of RRP would be ok. This might only work out for a couple of quid for a box but it means that i doesnt get very expensive.

The Orange
02-12-2007, 22:07
You should really make this a poll. Make it much easier to see where the Warseer community sits on this.

Simply, nothing.

I'm with Fars on this. I'm just simply not interested in buying pre-painted mini's at all. I buy them to paint them myself. Otherwise I might as well just go to a toy store and buy regular toys. Sorry if that doesn't really help you pin-point whats a good price point for selling pre-painted minis, but it is important to factor in that some of the community are not interested in pre-painted mini's at all. And when your asking on a site of veteran games (such as warseer) I think the findings are going to be scewed against pre-painted armies. IMO, people new to the hobby may be more interested in pre-painted mini's to get them off their feet, or may be just interested in the game alone, and not the hobby aspect. I doubt such people, that are only lightly involved in the hobby, would be found on warseer. I've often wondered if casual shoppers would be more willing to buy a pre-painted starter set as a present rather then the current one.

I suppose tho that their might be a market more for display piece minis. I may not play WFB but you know what? Archaon on horse back is just a sweet model that I'd like to have. Their are some models that just about every player would like to have, so those might be better as they grab a wider audience (assuming that the audience is looking for it). Another problem of course is that if I'm never actively looking for a pre-painted Archaon model, I'll never consider buying one.

Agelmar
03-12-2007, 17:08
I never have and never will by PP minis for myself. I'm in it for the painting.

dark blade
03-12-2007, 17:21
personally i am in it for the painting, however i have had people pay me to paint for them, recently i painted a squad of spacemarines for a frend, i did them to the saim standerd as i use in my armies (good table top) and when i got them from him they where bult and primed. he gave me a tenner (working in pounds) and the squad took me an hour to complete (working solid). now this is pretty avarge time for me, but i am not sure how long outhers would spend painting the saim number of models,

so in the end he got 10 modes painted for a quid each, and i got 10 quid an hour. both happy.

Egaeus
03-12-2007, 17:37
I think there is quite a bit more involved in the question than initially appears.

A few issues off the top of my head are the purpose and intended use of said miniatures.

Are you buying a single miniature to be the centerpiece of an army (if you felt you couldn't do it justice) or a display piece? A first unit to inspire you to build an army around? Or would you be potentially looking at acquiring an entire army in this fashion? (I ask this in a rhetorical sense as the "you" isn't necessarily the OP but whover would consider purchasing pre-painted models).

I ask these questions because they would heavily influence what I would be willing to pay. Bascially, the more figures I wished to acquire the less I would be likely to pay for them individually (a bit disappointing, considering that the quality of the work wouldn't necessarily be dependent on the number of figures).

One issue that has been brought up is time, which is always a tricky issue, especially when considering costs for a hobby-based employment. Obviously you have the comparison to minimum wage (the argument here is that you could be working and earning money instead of painting), but unless you were to look at this as professional employment I usually find it hard to jusitfy...after all, what is your liesure time really worth? I know that some people would consider getting paid anything for doing something they would do anyways would be a net gain.

And for the record, my response to the poll was that I paint my own. I am not a great painter, but that sense of accomplishment and personalization (this is my army) is one of the things that makes me play this game rather than others.

superknijn
03-12-2007, 17:46
I want pay for pre-paid miniatures, unless they're of really high quality. If not, and I can still purchase non-pre-painted models (preferably multi-part plastics), I will always choose the second.

Darnok
03-12-2007, 17:50
I'm an incredibly slow painter (ask rkunisch...), but I still want to paint my stuff on my own.

My miniatures, my paint job, period.