PDA

View Full Version : catachans?

bassmasterliam
02-12-2007, 14:07
hey everyone im going to a tornement in january in nottingham and i want to make a catachan 500pts army but i dont know what to put in it.

its not combat patrol and dont really want any senetials

so what should i have?

sigur
02-12-2007, 14:10
Write up your army list, post it in the army lists section and people will comment it. Asking people to make up lists for you is kinda frowned upon.

bassmasterliam
02-12-2007, 14:13
ok ill make one now

bassmasterliam
02-12-2007, 14:39
ok ive just made this list

HQ

captain
medic
6 death world veterens
missile launcher

elites

4 deathworld snipers

veterans assault team
3 demo charges
sergeant

troops

10 deathworld veterans
flamer
missile launcher

10 deathworld veterans
flamer
missile launcher

total 500pts

so what does everyone think?

stubble rash
02-12-2007, 15:58
Unless you're playing in the jungle you're going to be at a big disadvantage in a tournament environment. I'd recommend regular IG with light infantry and cameleoline doctrines instead which gives you the same benefits in any terrain.

The only thing you have in your list that needs the catachan list is the deathworld snipers which aren't worth taking in 500 point games. especially not outside the jungle.

if they let you use jungle every game or you really want to use the list here's what i'd change:

drop the medic and missile launcher from the command and give them all flamers

no deathworld snipers

Assault teams only need 1 demo charge. Once they've dropped on a unit they dont stick around for long. Theyre a 7 man maximum guardsmen after all. chances are they wont even make it to within 6".

You need 2 platoon commanders. and 4 infantry squads minimum

flamer/missile launcher isn't a good combo. you need to get in close to use the flamer and you cant move and shoot with the ML. You have the option to drop the number in the squad to 6 which would be a good idea at 500 points to maximize on special weapons. if you can afford it i'd give them a mix of flamer/ heavy flamer and meltagun/heavy flamer for anti tank.

another way you could go if you know youre going to be up against a lot of MEQ is plasma spam: 4 plasma guns in the command, plasma pistols on all the officers, min sized infantry squads with plasma guns and a 3 plasma gun assault team. that would even work outside the jungle in 500 point games if you can infiltrate enough squads.

obithius
02-12-2007, 16:14
[QUOTE=stubble rash;2145703]Unless you're playing in the jungle you're going to be at a big disadvantage in a tournament environment. I'd recommend regular IG with light infantry and cameleoline doctrines instead which gives you the same benefits in any terrain.

Surely if you play Catachan Deathworld Veterans in a tournament then you'd play in jungle terrain for your games?Seems rather unfair if you don't.

strangeasangels
02-12-2007, 16:20
If you go with the light infantry option you also have to opportunity to include a sniper in any infantry squad that doesnt have a special weapon. But if you are just playing for the fun of playing catachans I would go with stubble's suggestions.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Galatan
02-12-2007, 16:24
[QUOTE=stubble rash;2145703]Unless you're playing in the jungle you're going to be at a big disadvantage in a tournament environment. I'd recommend regular IG with light infantry and cameleoline doctrines instead which gives you the same benefits in any terrain.

Surely if you play Catachan Deathworld Veterans in a tournament then you'd play in jungle terrain for your games?Seems rather unfair if you don't.

That would be a very special tournament......Sure it may be a little unfair, but the organizers can't just adjust things of terrain especially for a certain army. Also if catachans get that sort of treatment then others will whine about it.

The IG codex has doctrines for catachan jungle fighters, I suggest you use those as those give you a more fair rules to deal with normal terrain in tournaments.

Since I'm lazy at the moment I'll say that subble rash advice for the pure deathworld list is kinda solid.

bassmasterliam
02-12-2007, 16:24
cool thanks everyone.