PDA

View Full Version : army book life

kairous
02-12-2007, 20:36
Hopefully this is in the right forum.

Anyway, i have decided to collect at least a small force in every major 40k race, i shall do bigger armies of the ones i really like, or enjoy playing/painting/modelling with, etc.
So my question to you guys is, do i buy the books now or do i only buy the ones that have been recently/fairly recently and so arn't going to see an up date for a while.
So as an example dark angels were the last 40k book to be redone, therefore, its safe to say they won't see an update for a while, now what about armies like guard, do i get the book now, or wait till the update.
Hopefully you will see method to my madness, and be able to give some insight into what im getting at.

Cheers guys for any help or input you might have on this.

PS. here are the books i currently have: necrons, eldar, dark angels, space marines, chaos space marines, tyranids and black templars (some of these i bought before i decided to do what im doing now, and the others i got given from by friends)

Grimtuff
02-12-2007, 20:38
It's taken nearly a decade for Orks to be redone. You do the math ;)

Cry of the Wind
02-12-2007, 20:44
I think the safest bet for doing what you're planning is to simply start buying the armies for the most recently done and work your way backwards. You already have a bunch of codexes to get started on so really even if you do buy all the others you won't be spending too much money (especially if you plan on building armies for all of them since that is going to cost a bunch in money and time).

Not really what else to tell you. It seems a pretty simple plan to follow through on...

kairous
02-12-2007, 20:51
well, i didn't intend to do them at once, i just meant i would buy the books to look over, learn the armies rules, read up on their fluff, etc, and then make an army list, then when i had money or wanted to have ago at that army, i would start getting the models for the list i made.

Xyxox
02-12-2007, 20:52
I'd say you're safe on Codices in this order:

1) Orks (the new one due out within about a month to 6 weeks)
2) Chaos Space Marines
3) Eldar
4) Dark Angels
5) Tau
6) Black Templars
7) Tyranids
8) Space Marines (though the safety factor goes to heck if there's a 5th edition announcement)
9) Necrons
10) Daemon Hunters
11) Witch Hunters
12) Imperial Guard
13) Space Wolves (if you can find it)
14) Dark Eldar

You can do the Blood Angels immediately as the codex is free for download and it's the updated codex from the two editions of the White Dwarf.

kairous
02-12-2007, 20:54
sorry to sound stupid:cries:, but could you please explain how your chart works:confused::confused::confused:

does anyone think i should just buy them when i actually want to do that army???
or is it fair enough that i just wanna learn about the races, their playstyle, etc, and should buy them now like im considering???

Templar Ben
02-12-2007, 21:05
He is saying number 1 is least likely to be updated soon and number 14 is most likely to be updated soon. The bit about SM is because when 40K 5th edition is released a new Codex SM will follow quickly.

kairous
02-12-2007, 21:07
The bit about SM is because when 40K 5th edition is released a new Codex SM will follow quickly.

i had heard some rumours that fifth may be coming.

Xyxox
02-12-2007, 21:10
He is saying number 1 is least likely to be updated soon and number 14 is most likely to be updated soon. The bit about SM is because when 40K 5th edition is released a new Codex SM will follow quickly.

Yep, all bets are off if they release 5th. Who knows what codex is a safe bet to buy and what isn't after they do that? The only thing for certain if the release 5th edition is, the Space Marines codex will be redone first. After that, it would be anybody's guess.

Templar Ben
02-12-2007, 21:12
I would think if 5th comes they will want to quickly get the 3rd edition codex updates done but they do need to sell those other models.

Besides if SM gets hit with the "no cool armory nerf bat" then BT will look like a great army again. LOL

Cry of the Wind
02-12-2007, 21:26
I'd probably stick with one book at a time if I was doing that myself. It stems from the fact that I can be distracted by shiny things in codexes too easily and would probably have a bunch of aborted armies all over the place with non of the playable.

As for buying them with the worry about a replacement coming out soon, Xyxox has a good list there or failing that don't sweat it and just buy them for fluff if nothing else. It will also give you an idea of what the core units would be as those generally won't change between editions.

the1stpip
02-12-2007, 21:32
According to what I have heard today, there is no 5th ed in the pipeline. It is possible that they have started looking into it, but I doubt it will be until 2009.

The_Outsider
02-12-2007, 21:53
Ignore any ******** about 5th edition as even if its true it won't affect army's in the pipeline (as they'd be taking this into account).

Short answer: Imperial guard, dark eldar, the 2 inquisition codices and probably space wolves are the ones in line for an update.

Necrons may or may not be inline for an update - their codex still works well as is basically 4th edition.

kairous
03-12-2007, 09:01
ok guys, you have all given me alot to think about, i shall thinki over how im going to go about getting the books and in what order.
cheers guys.
I might just buy them as they get redone, that way i get the longest life.
If anyone else has any ideas relating to this i would love to hear them.

Xyxox
03-12-2007, 15:12
Ignore any ******** about 5th edition as even if its true it won't affect army's in the pipeline (as they'd be taking this into account).

Short answer: Imperial guard, dark eldar, the 2 inquisition codices and probably space wolves are the ones in line for an update.

Necrons may or may not be inline for an update - their codex still works well as is basically 4th edition.

I only included mention of it as there are endless rumorous rumors (as opposed to rumours with hard core data to back them up). I think my list of codex safety scale is valid as it stands.

kairous
03-12-2007, 17:44
ok, i have made up my mind, unless i really wanna do that army now, or then and then (in which case i will buy the book then and start building an army with it), im just going to buy the books as the get released, that way i get the longest life from the books, and also it allows me to focus on one or two armies at a time.
Thanks for all the help and info guys, it was really useful.
CHEERS GUYS:D:D:D