PDA

View Full Version : army book life

kairous
02-12-2007, 20:38
Hopefully this is in the right forum.

Anyway, i have decided to collect at least a small force in every major fantasy race, i shall do bigger armies of the ones i really like, or enjoy playing/painting/modelling with, etc.
So my question to you guys is, do i buy the books now or do i only buy the ones that have been recently/fairly recently and so arn't going to see an up date for a while.
So as an example high elves were the last fantasy book to be redone, therefore, its safe to say they won't see an update for a while, now what about armies like skaven, do i get the book now, or wait till the update.
Hopefully you will see method to my madness, and be able to give some insight into what im getting at.

Cheers guys for any help or input you might have on this.

PS. here are the books i currently have: hordes of chaos, dark elves, wood elves, orcs and goblins and lizardmen(some of these i bought before i decided to do what im doing now, and the others i got given from by friends)

Gazak Blacktoof
02-12-2007, 20:49
Well you don't need all the army books at once, you wont have time to assemble, paint and game with them all.

Get the ones you like first, or the most recently updated ones if you have no preference.

kairous
02-12-2007, 20:51
well, i didn't intend to do them at once, i just meant i would buy the books to look over, learn the armies rules, read up on their fluff, etc, and then make an army list, then when i had money or wanted to have ago at that army, i would start getting the models for the list i made.

twj
02-12-2007, 21:01
A quick look at the release schedule should do it, so I wouldn't recommend Vampire Counts....
Empire and High Elves are decent investments though

kairous
02-12-2007, 21:02
does anyone think i should just buy them when i actually want to do that army???
or is it fair enough that i just wanna learn about the races, their playstyle, etc, and should buy them now like im considering???

Nephilim of Sin
02-12-2007, 21:29
I think that might be the best approach. However, you could just look for the books on e-bay. I know in the states especially, you usually find (about one or two ever two weeks) lots with all the army books, that generally go for the price of three new books. Shipping to the UK would probably raise that to the price of 4 new books. Not a bad deal. That way, you don't loose to much when a new book comes out, and you have a general idea of what you are wanting and can tweak it to the new edition.

Semi_Bunny
02-12-2007, 21:30
um im pretty sure u can find armybook bit torrents out on the internet somewhere. u just cant bring em into GW or you'll probably get kicked out, so i bought the one i needed for the army i play. i figure if you were just looking over them to read up on the rules etc then it will do the job. i think the version i downloaded though doesnt have the updated high elf book. you should be able to find the torrent with a google search.

Just Tony
02-12-2007, 22:22
Probably the wrong person to ask, BUT

I have every book. And intend to get every book that comes out, so I know anything my opponents might be capable of. AND since I play all the armies.

If you are just starting, though, I'd say get the Battle for Skull Pass set, and the corresponding army books. That will be a good start, and if you find you really don't like the playstyle, then you've only got a few minis to unload. And if you DO, then you can pick up a couple of those sets to flesh out the force, along with any Batallions they might have.

After that, go by the most recent releases. Shouldn't go wrong, and at that pace, you won't get an army that gets an entire line revamp when the book comes out (Skaven and Vampire Counts come to mind)

Etienne de Beaugard
02-12-2007, 23:08
Personnally, I would buy the army books when buying the minis. Since you plan to try all the races, buy them as GW releases them. You'll get 2-3 books a year, which is a decent rate to accumulate them.

kairous
03-12-2007, 09:05
Probably the wrong person to ask, BUT

I have every book. And intend to get every book that comes out, so I know anything my opponents might be capable of. AND since I play all the armies.

If you are just starting, though, I'd say get the Battle for Skull Pass set, and the corresponding army books. That will be a good start, and if you find you really don't like the playstyle, then you've only got a few minis to unload. And if you DO, then you can pick up a couple of those sets to flesh out the force, along with any Batallions they might have.

After that, go by the most recent releases. Shouldn't go wrong, and at that pace, you won't get an army that gets an entire line revamp when the book comes out (Skaven and Vampire Counts come to mind)

nah, im not just starting i already have about 2000 points of lizards, i just decided that i couldn't just stick to a couple of armies, hench my current, be it an expensive one, idea.

kairous
03-12-2007, 09:05
Personnally, I would buy the army books when buying the minis. Since you plan to try all the races, buy them as GW releases them. You'll get 2-3 books a year, which is a decent rate to accumulate them.

sounds like a plan, i might do that, or might just buy the books as they come out.

kairous
03-12-2007, 14:02
ok guys, you have all given me alot to think about, i shall thinki over how im going to go about getting the books and in what order.
cheers guys.
I might just buy them as they get redone, that way i get the longest life.
If anyone else has any ideas relating to this i would love to hear them.

Briohmar
03-12-2007, 14:12
Now me, I have to buy every army books as it comes out. Not necessarily because I want each and every army, but the books themselves form an excellent frame of reference in my international gaming groups. I right now play with French Speaking Belgians, Flemish Speaking Belgians, Germans, French, Brits, Americans, and an Italian. This means I am dealing with four separate language s in which to compare. If my French opponent says he's using rune X, I merely ask him which page it is on, and look it up. This way, nobody has any questions or confusion, except of course for the reversal of spells number four and five in the lore of light in the French rulebook, and other less than direct translations.

kairous
03-12-2007, 17:44
ok, i have made up my mind, unless i really wanna do that army now, or then and then (in which case i will buy the book then and start building an army with it), im just going to buy the books as the get released, that way i get the longest life from the books, and also it allows me to focus on one or two armies at a time.
Thanks for all the help and info guys, it was really useful.
CHEERS GUYS:D:D:D

Bregalad
03-12-2007, 22:49
Army books are updated every 7-9 years. Next year it will be Vampire Counts (March), Daemons (new, may) and probably Dark Elves November. So it takes a while for a book to become obsolete. Army book reading can be fun even if you don't collect the army. And for getting a feeling for the army, just read the respective Tactica threads in the Tactics forum. helps a lot.

Duke Raoul
04-12-2007, 14:24
I knew I guy that did this he was one of the greatest players I have played but due to the time involved in playing and putting together so many army's he never really got anything painted.