PDA

View Full Version : Cold enough for ya?

Melchiah
02-12-2007, 19:39
Anyone who knows me well knows i hate the snow. One of the reasons i love the west coast of canada is that all it normally does it rain in the winter. Unless your living in a cave witha rock in front of the door, or if you dont give a crap about canada (then poop on you anyways), its snowing.....alot. And making problems for people driving. Since we dont get snow that much when it does people get stupid and get in to accients and what not.
Anyone else got some winter rants?

lord_blackfang
02-12-2007, 19:59
Well my only complaint would be that every winter there's a bunch of posters complaining about the snow :p

The pestilent 1
02-12-2007, 20:01
Snowspew Nurgal will make you feel better (http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/Asthaloth/DSC015611231.jpg)

Wolf Scout Ewan
02-12-2007, 20:13
I like the cold. But I dont like ice or snow either.

Shadowseer Crofty
02-12-2007, 20:22
Can you ask the snow if it can head my way please?

Melchiah
02-12-2007, 20:28
Damn it wheres my global warming...Huh...huh

RavenMorpheus
02-12-2007, 20:35
Damn it wheres my global warming...Huh...huh

That thread was moved to the chaos wastes due to P&R :p

I don't see what the problem is, so your part of the world is grinding to a halt, deal with it and enjoy the few days of non-activity it brings.

You have got a store-room full of food, right? ;)

Melchiah
02-12-2007, 20:47
I don't see what the problem is, so your part of the world is grinding to a halt, deal with it and enjoy the few days of non-activity it brings.

You have got a store-room full of food, right? ;)Griding halt sums it up pretty good, seeing as the roads get so bad no body wants to leave their homes and thus jobs close down early and no one can pay the bills or buy food for starters.

Some guy (UK)
02-12-2007, 20:56
I would love to see some true winter weather up here. Apart from two weeks when it was pretty cold, giving a few frosty mornings its been mild yet again. It's back to wind and rain already :(

nurgle_boy
02-12-2007, 21:18
I would love to see some true winter weather up here. Apart from two weeks when it was pretty cold, giving a few frosty mornings its been mild yet again. It's back to wind and rain already :(

Its beenm bloody frezing down south, and there were even a few flakes of snow earlier ( i live on a hill, so its even colderer!)

still.. beats the baking heat of summer imho...

Melchiah
02-12-2007, 21:23
I showed catferret over the web cam how much snow. Hes glad hes not in canada.

Hicks
02-12-2007, 21:35
We got a ton of snow here too. It had been a couple of years since I've seen so much in mid-November. Lucky for me I already had my winter tires on before the first snow.

We're supposed to get another snow storm tomorrow too... I'm starting to get annoyed a bit. It might look pretty for the tourists, but snow is a major pain in the but when you think of it. If I don't post again after tomorrow, you'll all know I died of a heart attack from all the shoveling I had to do.

Melchiah
02-12-2007, 21:42
If I don't post again after tomorrow, you'll all know I died of a heart attack from all the shoveling I had to do.
in ture Qubec fashion shall we turn your body in to smoked meat?

Hicks
02-12-2007, 21:46
Smoke meat is pretty much a Montréal thing and I'm in Québec city. The Jewish community there is renown for making the best apparently.

I would rather be incinerated, after spending 3/4 of your life freezing half buried in snow a little warmt would be more than appreciated! :p

max the dog
03-12-2007, 02:13
It snowed here in Chicago yesterday and it's all melted already. Now we have mud. Lots and lots of mud. It's a greyscale world until spring. To top it off my brother called to brag, Monday he's flying to Ft. Meyers beach in Florida for a week. I hate him!!!!!!

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USFL0446.html

Zink
03-12-2007, 03:13
Southern Saskatchewan is cold but not much snow. Barely enough to cover the ground. I don't mind snow or cold weather but I get tired of the wind. Strange complaint for someone who wants to live here! Why's Saskatchewan so windy? Because Manitoba sucks and Alberta blows. At least we had enough snow to keep the dust from blowing.

Khorghan
03-12-2007, 03:33
We're supposed to get another snow storm tomorrow too...

haha T-dot just got 30 cm so get ready to be ****ed, the storms coming your way

i love the snow/hate the really cold.warm weather(for winter atleast) with packing snow = sweet snowball fights

Triggerdog
03-12-2007, 03:45
I hate the cold and winter for a few reasons:

1) I am lacking in bodyfat and have trouble keeping warm
2) I run every day to stay in shape and you cant run in the snow and ice which means I need to shell out for a treadmill
3) With snow and bad weather comes wind which generally ruins my hair which I am very vain about
4) I get restless if I'm stuck in one place for too long. I literally pace when I play 40k and it isnt my turn.
5) I have a long drive to work and over snow its probably going to suck.

Melchiah
03-12-2007, 05:11
Manitoba sucks and Alberta blows.
:wtf:
Anyways i cant belive that BC got more snow the you did. Isnt that a sign of the end of times when the sunshine coast gets snow?

Codsticker
03-12-2007, 06:07
Well normally I'm all fine with snow and I quite like the cold for working outside.But...
... tommorrow (Monday) is the day when I have the entire house to myself.

However, since there is so much snow and driving conditions are hazardous (it thaws a bit, then freezes a bit, then thaws a bit, etc) school has been cancelled so I will be surrounded by family tommorrow.

thegnome
03-12-2007, 06:47
I like winter, and I love the snow, much like most people here in Edmonton. However, we like it until after Christmas. At that point, the next four months of it are just unnecessary.

Zink
03-12-2007, 14:59
Melchiah, our weather has gotten warmer and more unpredictable over the years. I'm way down south on the border so we don't get much snow anymore. When I was a kid 20 years ago we had snow up to the window sills regularly. Now if it's knee deep that's a lot. Of course it blows and blows so if it's a few inches deep in the open it's 8 feet deep in the valleys. Last quite a few years we have almost no snow and then bang! every 5th or 6th we get buried. Almost time for us to get dumped on again. But today they're predicting rain. I hate rain in winter.

Codsticker
03-12-2007, 15:58
So here it is Monday am and normally all nice and quiet while I surf Warseer. But not today: I am currently getting harrassed to clear the snow off the rooves(?) of all the outbuildings, to make French toast, and to drive the youngest over to her friends.

And it's starting to rain so the 55cm of snow we have will soon turn to slush.

Ick....

heretics bane
03-12-2007, 17:02
The UK currently sucks for snow/cold weather at the mo, we are still getting really mild days and its like 3 weeks to christmas

Shadowseer Crofty
03-12-2007, 17:26
The UK currently sucks for snow/cold weather at the mo, we are still getting really mild days and its like 3 weeks to christmas

here we had an evening of snow after a day of rain, it only settled on cars and grass and made the walk to the pub treacherous, and not enough for a snowball fight. Now its no worse than a bit chilly out (to me at least, quite a few people at uni seem to think its freezing. southerners) and we either get rain, or dark clouds and the threat thereof for the past two weeks. Send me some of this snow please, oh Canadians.

The pestilent 1
03-12-2007, 17:48
(to me at least, quite a few people at uni seem to think its freezing. southerners)

I take exception to this.
I'm a southerner and get funny looks all day for walking around in just a jumper.
Pbbbt. Northners don't know what a storm is.
:p

Luke
03-12-2007, 18:02
I can't wait for some decent snow to come. As long as it comes during the day so I get to take my little XR for a bit of a blip and see if I can't crash.

Shadowseer Crofty
03-12-2007, 18:54
I take exception to this.
I'm a southerner and get funny looks all day for walking around in just a jumper.
Pbbbt. Northners don't know what a storm is.

In just a jumper? weakling. Until the day we had snow a fortnight ago (and quite often after then) I never wore more than a t shirt to go out in, no matter how cold the southerners think it is in their four layers of clothes. I've stood for 90 minutes on the sidelines of a football pitch in what the rest of the team (except our Geordie captain) thought was freezing wearing a thin t shirt and shorts and not considered it to be any worse than a little chilly. I've even stood around outside the bar at midnight topless to prove the point that it wasn't cold out. No offense as you are seemingly the exception to the rule, but southerners can't handle proper british weather.

This is in no way meant as an insult to southerners, many of them are great people. They just can't handle the cold .

The pestilent 1
03-12-2007, 19:24
This is in no way meant as an insult to southerners, many of them are great people. They just can't handle the cold .

To be honest I'd noticed this too, but then again I've noticed northerners who are shocked by Lightning (I've seen three in the last Seven years since I moved up here) not to mention a little wind.
Maybe I was spoiled living by the coast, but that ain't no wind.

SonofUltramar
03-12-2007, 20:18
All this talk of Northeners (thats Birmingham to Carlisle) and Southeners (South of Birmingham) going on about not handling the cold makes me laugh, Scotlands where its at when you want some proper cold British weather, lol. Around here its been down around freezing when taking into account windchill but its just blue skys so not even rain at the moment let alone snow which is ok actually as its nice to have a year off from the snow and slush with localised flooding in the New Year.

We used to have freezing rain followed by snow from October through until February but this Global warming thing is sweet. We've not had any snow since January and it seems that a white Christmans is not likely round here as it just isn't the right weather. Ho hum guess its just a case of planning my trip to Italy or Canada where they still get snow;)

heretics bane
03-12-2007, 20:24
Im from Ireland, all it dos is rain but many Northerners cant handle the rain very well or cold weather. If it drops below -2 to 4 belfast grids to a halt nothing compared to out in the countrie where we got -12 a while ago

matthewmw64
03-12-2007, 20:27
Ive never seen snow in my Life ever :(

Gaebriel
03-12-2007, 20:48
Over here it would be nice if what comes down as rain these days was snow - I hate getting wet, and snow has that magical feeling... But then I live 5 minutes from the city center and rely on public transportation (underground), so the occasional meter wouldn't bother me :p

It has been like 25 years that I remember being out in snow that was as tall as I am (granted, I was a lot smaller then ;) ).

Hicks
03-12-2007, 21:09
I'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! I just finished clearing the driveway, it wasn't as bad as I had expected, but that was still a whole lot of snow. Hopefuly, my brother was at home, so I wasn't shoveling alone. I also managed to fix our snow-blower, so tomorrow should be much less work.

P.S. Uni closed because of the storm, but just right after my course was over bummer.

Khorghan
03-12-2007, 22:13
In just a jumper? weakling. Until the day we had snow a fortnight ago (and quite often after then) I never wore more than a t shirt to go out in, no matter how cold the southerners think it is in their four layers of clothes. I've stood for 90 minutes on the sidelines of a football pitch in what the rest of the team (except our Geordie captain) thought was freezing wearing a thin t shirt and shorts and not considered it to be any worse than a little chilly. I've even stood around outside the bar at midnight topless to prove the point that it wasn't cold out. No offense as you are seemingly the exception to the rule, but southerners can't handle proper british weather.

"look at me im 6 years old and i dont need to wear proper clothes"

Luke
03-12-2007, 22:15
None of you have experienced COLD untill you have ridden country lanes in a pair of motocross gloves at 5am for 20 miles at 05:00 am on a january morning so deal with! :p

Every 5 minutes I have to stop and hug the crankcase

starlight
03-12-2007, 22:22
Well if you'd have worn pants and a jacket maybe it wouldn't have been so bad... *sheesh*

Luke
03-12-2007, 22:23
I see that as a challenge! Cold has nothing on me. I am skin and bone there isn't enough to freeze :D

edit-------

hmm, would I ride naked save for a helmet through Atherstone market on a sunday morning?

starlight
03-12-2007, 22:25
If she was cute enough, I'm sure you would. :p

Luke
03-12-2007, 22:26
I don't follow........ see my profile for more info ;)

starlight
03-12-2007, 22:38
Okay, *If TechnoViking was there for you...*

Better? :p

Fenriz
03-12-2007, 22:54
Send some snow my way please.

Lots of it. 4ft at least.

Would be awesome. :D

der_lex
03-12-2007, 22:56
I miss real winters. I've loved ice-skating on the Dutch canals (and rivers, if there was a really good freeze) when I was younger.

Last time I saw real snow was when I visited my American then-girlfriend in Ohio in the winter of 2000. I went out into a blizzard with the words 'I'm Dutch, this is possibly the only chance I'll ever get of experiencing a real blizzard'. I took a one or two hour walk, and came back looking like a yeti, but it was totally worth it. :)

HobbitTank
04-12-2007, 02:49
It's never cold enough here. My sister complains whenever it gets below 70F, and don't like anything above 50F. Go figure. They're saying some snow for Chicagoland tomorrow night. Oh well. At least it fills in the pot-holes.

Adept
04-12-2007, 03:08
It was 30C at 3am on Sunday night, here.

snurl
04-12-2007, 04:21
It is snowing outside right here, right now. I hope it doesn't accumulate.
Shoveling snow is not fun at all.

Zink
04-12-2007, 14:22
Just to make fun of the rest of Canada, we haven't gotten the storm yet! It was nast and cold but the last 2 days is warm and rainy. No heavy snow like I'm seeing on the news everywhere else. Of course we'll have our fun when this freezes and everything is an inch deep in ice.

Adept, summer here was like what you're saying. I don't like 30+ weather much. I prefer green grass to brown and dusty which is what we've had the last two summers.

Codsticker
04-12-2007, 14:46
Where you at Zink; east coast or west?

Melchiah
04-12-2007, 15:04
Yeah it rained for 2 days and melted the bad snow.
Yesturday sucked cuz i had to walk to a job interview through slush and ended up be half soaked.

starlight
04-12-2007, 16:28
Yeah, but did you get teh job...?

Dwarf Supreme
04-12-2007, 16:56
In my neck of the woods, we had a dusting of snow last night. It's finally cold enough for the ski slopes to make man-made snow. For the most part cold temps don't bother me and the only time I hate the snow is when I have to drive in it, or when I have to wake up extra early to snow blow my driveway just to make it to work on time. Of course my opinion of winter might be different if I lived farther North.

Zink
04-12-2007, 20:29
Codsticker, I'm in Saskatchewan, dead center east to west and a few miles north of the US border.

starlight
04-12-2007, 20:31
Poor lad...:(

Arianwen
04-12-2007, 21:05
We just have wind and rain at the moment :( I love snow but I always seem to be working evenings when it does decide to grace us with its presence, thus ensuring I get to walk home in muddy slush instead of nice crisp white snow. Ah well, I suppose that's what wellies are for...

marv335
04-12-2007, 22:19
I spent a winter in Kosovo with KFOR
-30, and the windchill from a hovering helicopter is not to be sniffed at.
It works out at below -55 deg C (the windchill chart topped out there, it was probably 10 deg colder)
chilly!

chromedog
04-12-2007, 23:09
Where I live, we don't get a lot of snow. Some places do, but mostly this wide brown land is well... brown.
We get incredible storms though.
Right now, it's a quite warm 29*C (84.2*F for you SI challenged folk).

I spent a winter in the north of scotland around 20 years ago - I thawed out completely just the other day!

Codsticker
05-12-2007, 00:19
Codsticker, I'm in Saskatchewan, dead center east to west and a few miles north of the US border.

Estevan? And no snow yet, eh? How peculiar....

Freak Ona Leash
05-12-2007, 01:13
I usually love the snow. But here in Rochester, New Yawhk (yes, Yawhk) there is lots of snow, lots of cold and lots of me walking a mile to school. See, snow days are cool. But they never happen. Which make Freak sad.

No to mention, my girlfriend's dad walked in on me and my girlfriend...well, I'll spare y'all the gory details. But yeah, I blame the snow.

starlight
05-12-2007, 01:43
So your girlfriend needs someone to keep her warm until you get out of the hospital...? ;)

Zink
05-12-2007, 02:46
I'm west of Estevan by a ways. Rockglen. Oddly enough I've never been east of Weyburn down south. We have snow but not much. Yesterday it rained a fair bit and today it froze and snowed some more. So a couple of inches of loose snow on top of ice. Not serious like in many areas but not fun for travelling. Every year is different now. Sometimes no snow until Christmas and sometimes deep by the start of November. Other than the last week this fall was real warm.

Inquisitor_Matt
05-12-2007, 03:04
I come from the land of the ice and snow; the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Wisconsin

Freak Ona Leash
05-12-2007, 10:20
So your girlfriend needs someone to keep her warm until you get out of the hospital...? ;)

Well, actually her father has MS and is crippled. So it was just embarrassing getting caught having sex. Like, horribly embarassing.

Glabro
05-12-2007, 11:10
We just got the first proper snows (that´ll actually last longer than a day) last weekend. I suppose it´s only proper to have snow in December. Problem is, I hate going out when the risk of maiming yourself is very high due to the ice, which is everywhere.

nurgle_boy
05-12-2007, 20:25
gah.. down south here it has decided to just be wet now... its not as cold as it was... just much, much wetter...

no joy there :(

Mahwell Skel
05-12-2007, 23:35
Its beenm bloody frezing down south, and there were even a few flakes of snow earlier ( i live on a hill, so its even colderer!)

still.. beats the baking heat of summer imho...

You great southern Jessie etc etc...

Ive never seen snow in my Life ever :(

Look in your freezer. Its like that stuff stuck to the inside. No not the fish fingers the white stuff!

Well, actually her father has MS and is crippled. So it was just embarrassing getting caught having sex. Like, horribly embarassing.

Shame! This remind me of something that happened to my brother. His gfs father when to get them for dinner and walked unexpectedly. It was sausages for dinner as well.:D