PDA

View Full Version : Succmbing to Chaos - The Blood Pact

Col.Gravis
02-12-2007, 22:29
On 40k Online a conversion contest with a difference is being run - every model of a 750pts army to be comverted, and to be completed by early next year. I could'nt resist but to enter!

I've got my Praetorians, my ongoing army, but to convert every single model there is too much. I've some Death Korps still sitting ready to go, but FWs models are too beautiful already for me to want to risk convert them, or risk converting them even. So something new was in order, I have already a fair supply of Cadian bits for various reasons, so what grabbed my imagination, but the Blood Pact (having just finished Only in Death).

I've no idea what the army will include yet, alot of people have created a list and are working to that, I'm just going to build a bit of what I fancy and work out a list after.

For now small beginnings, my first step has been to have a hand at sculpting a grotesque which all the Infantry should have - handily they're not to any one design, but all very similar according to the Sabbat Worlds Source Book - a snarling or leering face with a hooked nose and/or chin. They are noted as wearing bowl helmets, which I'll settle on being stripped down cadian helmets for ease of converting.

The best image of a Blood Pact Troopers face is below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/pactface.jpg

And heres my first attempt at replicating it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1379.jpg

Dawn of the Dogs
02-12-2007, 22:52
i like where this is going.

thats some nice work there!

Kron
02-12-2007, 23:46
Great job there Col!

I agree with your approach to building your list; Blood Pact are fairly balanced professional army and since it's Chaos you are still allowed a lot of freedom!

So very nice modelling opportunities. The trooper looks very good, nice and simple conversions can still make a huge difference.

Getting Only in Death for Christmas, looking forward to it a lot!

Easy E
03-12-2007, 10:59
Hmmm, I might have to check into that contest.

The Grotesque looks good. Are you planning on casting the front part of the face to make replication easier, or are you going to hand sculpt each one?

Also, in the contest do they allow vehicles?

Col.Gravis
03-12-2007, 11:01
I think the contest is already closed to new entrants Easy E, but Dark Pariah is the man to speak to over there.

As long as its a legal army and everything in converted in the given time frame anything goes basicly.

I'll be sculpting each one, hopefully each with slight differences.

EmMeTt
03-12-2007, 11:19
Wow, great sculpting on the face. What colours will they be? IMHO I think red would be great.

Keep it up mate.

Col.Gravis
03-12-2007, 11:59
lol the colour choice is kinda in the name of em ;) so yes red, of the bloody variety

The Laughing God
03-12-2007, 13:15
Looks good, you should have a lot of fun converting everything.

Do you have an army list made?

-The Laughing God-

Earthbeard
03-12-2007, 14:32
Excellent start.

Mr Feral
03-12-2007, 14:39
Impressive sculpting there.
I'm watching this thread for ideas.

OrlyggJafnakol
03-12-2007, 14:45
I love that head. An excellent start. I see in my mind's eye ranks of infantry in dirty fatigues, faded brown and green in colour, splattered in the dried brown of blood.

Get that head stuck on a body!

G.Hawke
03-12-2007, 16:56
dagnabbit everyones succuming to blood pact.

Ah well, i don't mind because your GS skill COMPLETELY exclises mine 8fold (note- a pun).

i look forward to seein this, if your skill keeps level, it'll be a stunning army.

hawke

Colonel Stagler
03-12-2007, 21:37
now just cast about 80 of those and you have yourself a mighty bloodpact force, all equipped with grotesques!
Stagler Out

cthorpe
03-12-2007, 21:54
Subscribed!!

This is looking good Col... I like your sculpting.. I'm already following your Praetorian thread so this should be an excellent project..

Are you doing any vehicles.. perhaps a 'Mantis' tank would be appropriate?

I shall follow this with great interest,

Best wishes,

Carl

Brother Loki
03-12-2007, 22:38
Looking good so far. I think I'll keep an eye on this. I'm a big fan of the Blood Pact. Even had a go at them myself once, though I was never entirely happy with them, so I ended up not doing the army. Here's my efforts, for inspiration:

http://www.dysartes.com/model/conversion/bloodpact.php

Pete

kishvier
03-12-2007, 22:41
Dark Pariah is the man

Yes he is, but he got me banned with his Titan (the first one).

catbarf
03-12-2007, 22:47
Awesome job! Also, take a look at Beastman heads for some good masks.

Khorghan
03-12-2007, 23:03
that looks sweet, subscribed

spacemonkey
04-12-2007, 00:11
That face sculpt is fantastic! :D I'll be watching this thread with interest.
You really should take a crack at doing a stalk tank if you're able.

Cirrus the Blue
04-12-2007, 05:11
oooo Slick job on the putty!! :D I should do something to that extent one of these days on a Guardsman or two... :evilgrin:

- Cirrus

bram kuijpers
04-12-2007, 08:53
apperently the blood pact have crimson armour and clothes.
but the iron masks are black, and they arent just some kind of force they are
elite forces,
you should make them look profesional since most renagade armies look like they dunno what they are doing ( like most regular gaurd armies)

great sclupt though

Wendigo
04-12-2007, 19:25
Quite simply the best sculpt of a Blood Pact mask I've ever seen (and I've seen three or four similar project logs over the last few years). You're smart to use a nice piece of art as your inspiration. All in all a very promising start. Keep posting regular updates!

W.

Col.Gravis
30-12-2007, 17:36
A bit of progress at last lol

All this guy needs now is a backpack, I'm not entirely happy with the chainmail, but happy enough that I'd start again, needs more practice and I'll get plenty of that over the rest of the force.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1454.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1466.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1453.jpg

I'm planning a Command HQ which is 'advancing', a Armoured Fist Squad 'advancing' with a Half Track modelled Chimera. The Infantry Platoon will include a 'shooting' Command Squad and Infantry Squad (of which this Trooper will be a member) and finally an 'assaulting' Infantry Squad.

I'll finish the frist 750pts up with a Stalk Tank and a AT-83 Brigand MBT.

eek107
30-12-2007, 17:41
I like! Looks like I'm in for some tough competition in the contest. ;)
Your GS work is, as always, fantastic!

Mr Feral
30-12-2007, 17:46
Very impressive sculpt work.
It makes me want to go and start on my next Renegade Platoon. Any tips on how you did the grotesque?

Col.Gravis
30-12-2007, 17:50
Thanks eek ;) theres a hell of alota good stuff in the building for the contest by the looks of things, I've gota admit I think its an outside chance that Ill finish mind lol

Very impressive sculpt work.
It makes me want to go and start on my next Renegade Platoon. Any tips on how you did the grotesque?

Um, well the mask is sculpted in one go from a single piece of GS, fiddling with adding pieces on such a scale is nuts, pull out the nose, shape it, then the mouth, jaws and teeth, its not actually as nasty as it might look with a little practice and a steady hand.

Twilight
30-12-2007, 18:56
Oh My God! nice spulpt work! need more pictures!!

glenning
30-12-2007, 19:19
This is going to be a great thread I think! :D Keep up the good work, I'll be watching for sure.

Girathon
30-12-2007, 21:05
Amazing sculpting, Im subscribed.

Girathon

dr.oetk3r
30-12-2007, 21:23
Hell yeah! Perfect sculpting!

Light of the Emperor
30-12-2007, 21:35
The sculpting is superb...especially on a face as small as the cadian ones.
I definately can't wait to see your rendition of the stalk tanks.

Have fun with 'em!

Luthien
30-12-2007, 21:37
I see the name Col. Gravis and i think to myself, Awesome :D

Col.Gravis
03-01-2008, 20:34
Thanks guys, just a little bit of progress, and not progress that looks so great yet, but working away on the rest of the basic shooter troopers, trying to keep each different but coheasive.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1508.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1518.jpg

cyprus01
03-01-2008, 21:14
as always your stuff looks brillant but what is the detail on the guys sholder

MF3000
03-01-2008, 21:18
You're a geniox gravis

sj

Gonfrask
03-01-2008, 22:18
Great models no doubt. That work in the mask is really nice
Hope to see the complet army

EmMeTt
04-01-2008, 05:37
The sculpting on the armour plates is really nice.
I have a question. Will you be doing masks for all of them?

Easy E
04-01-2008, 10:42
The rivets in the armored chest plates... wow.

Col.Gravis
04-01-2008, 12:08
Thanks guys :)

cyprus01, it's a bit from the Chaos Lord kit, I ordered a fairly random selection of chaos parts from http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/ as my own bits box was lacking in anything much chaotic, I think Ill have to order some more of them though!

EmMeTt, yeah each model will have a mask sculpted on.

cyprus01
04-01-2008, 12:16
thank you very much Col.Gravis

tinfoil
04-01-2008, 17:14
Great sculpting on the body armor. Looks as though even the Catachan torsos will fit thematically -- which is quite a feat.

Getz
04-01-2008, 23:19
Colour me impressed. When I had a crack at Blood Pact the Grotesques were always the most difficult part. I was never happy with my effort so I recent pulled all their heads off and rebranded them as a different Khorne worshiping renegade army...

If you're interested, I put together some Stalk Tanks out of Sentinels, and I'd be happy to explain how I put them together if you like them. There's a thread about them here...
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19385

Angel Robertson
05-01-2008, 10:52
Those look amazing! When will painting begin then??

AR

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 19:51
A kind of an update, this is'nt one for me, rather it's a Sirdar (Junior Officer) I've done for someone else as part of a Miniature Exchange over on 40k Online, it's definately the look I'm going for with my own though when this project gets up an running again.

I tried something new for me with a pseudo black marble styled power weapon as I did'nt feel that the standard bright colours would look quite right on him, was a bit of an experiment seems to be okay though could do with some improvement, at the moment it looks better from a distance then it does close up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1858.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1859.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1864.jpg

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 19:52
And one of it pre-painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Blood%20Pact/DSCF1699.jpg

Gloryseeker
10-04-2008, 19:59
How do you make your chainmail look soo good?

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 20:00
Hmm i love the modelling, but the pose is a bit... static for blood pact. might be the weapons choice that make it look undynamic..

However, great conversion! Keep it up!

Hawke

voiceofthewarp
10-04-2008, 20:04
Cool, on a slightly unrelated note does anyone think that blood-pactesque heads would sell?

-voiceofthewarp

synapse
10-04-2008, 20:04
great work on the GS - i love that mask! very cool!

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 20:15

How do you mean Gloryseeker? If you mean by sculpting it it's simply a matter of flattening the greenstuff and then printing out the pattern systematicly with the tip of a typical sculpting tool in something like the following pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/colgravis/Misc%2040k/chainmail.jpg

Well he's no frothing maniac G.Hawke no I agree, that was'nt the intention though, though I can see where your coming from, its a fairly stock pose all things considered. If it was you how would you go about changing it do you think?

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 20:31
Probably have the axe-arm lowered in its angle, like it actully weighs something, and a diffrent pistol, the old bolt-pistol just looks... totally not chaotic at all.

The body and head work is brillaint, however the arms do let you down.

looking carefully, i'd probably put some sort of minor bend in the elbow, again to show the weight of the pistol, however at this paint stage thats a pretty major bit of work so...

Hawke

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 20:46
I'll come clean there, I did'nt alter the angle of the arms at the elbows at all out of laziness, given the chunkyness of the Bolt Pistol that could do with a bend in the elbow, as too the weapon itself, I did'nt want to go over the top with a corrupted weapon given from background sources much bloodpact equipment is looted Imperial gear.

I did kinda feel the axe balance was alright, I deliberately held it up the shaft near the head of the weapon (as opposed to near the base which would look all wrong), but I'd certainly not dismiss the observation for future work.

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 21:13
its fair enough with the elbow, weaponwise i think las and autopistols would be about their looted limit, though i'm an old fashioned blood pactee. the axes is balanced, but it looks like he carrying it around the same way you and i would a bamboo stick. However, it is your army and in the end the only person to please is yourself, and their is now doubt the quality of the conversion.

Like i say, hope to see more, paticularly though i'm a fan of the lasgun trooper, he looks absolutly BRILLIANT!

hawke

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 21:29
Well they'd definately be alot more common no doubt about that, truth be told if it was for my own force I would go with one of those two out of personal choice (and likewise he'd not have a power weapon), as much because they'd be more common as because IMHO game wise they're a better choice for a JO level guard character, but the guy was after a specific weapons fit.

I see more what you mean now about the axe also, more about actual weight then balance, fair point, it would work better if the arm was overal more vertical rather then at the fairly tight angle it is now.

Thankyou :)

EDIT: Just spotted a blotch of black wash then went un-noticed on the axe head an all lol, consider it cleaned up!

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 21:37
ah no worries col, i'm just glad to see the blood pact snare people other than me.

Oh, just so you know, i've decided to put my money where my mouth is and am working on a bloodpactee right now. hopefully it'll tie yours for pactee excellence.

hawke

Tatanka
10-04-2008, 21:40
Very impressive sculping. really like your conversions!!

anselminus
10-04-2008, 21:41
good luck for building your army
but i love the begining and your conversions.

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 21:44
Hard not to be with the conversion oppurtunities, though I'll always be a loyalist at heart! :p

Look forward to seeing what you turn out, will probably be a few months before I come back to Blood Pact again, I'd still like to do 1000pts, maybe 1500pts of them.

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 21:46
yeah 1500pts is hellish amount of work, take it from me, and mine pact army is quite armour heavy as well...

when you get back to 'em, i expect great things.

Hawke

anselminus
10-04-2008, 21:47
when apocalysp :D

irfpio
10-04-2008, 21:48
Hello COL.

These look really good - again, your sculpting amazes me.... oh i still owe you a front plate for a dreadnought..... i will try to get it posted ASAP - sorry about that....:rolleyes:

Cheers
Irfpio

Col.Gravis
10-04-2008, 21:52
hehe tell me about it G.Hawke ;) nothing like a challenge though, makes it all the more satisfying when it's done, truth be told I'll probably take a fair bit of armour myself, though I'm thinking Stalk Tanks so probably just as much work lol

Thanks irfpio :) No worries, truth be told I've not got around to a point where I'd be using them yet, other projects have jumped ahead of getting the Praetorian Russ assembled lol

G.Hawke
10-04-2008, 22:06
oooh stalk tanks, that is a challange. i never managed more than one of them, and i never was happy with it!

I am damn well looking forwards to this now, i wanna see what you do for them.

hawke

Col.Gravis
11-04-2008, 09:24
Aye, I've seen a few peoples takes on them, I'm not really sure what route I'll go down for them yet, other then I'd like to make them in a fashion that's easy to mass produce, and thats appropriate for use as a Sentinel.