PDA

View Full Version : How best would you represent an IW army?

Warboss Grimmtoof
03-12-2007, 00:56
I really am not a huge fan of the new chaos codex, just personal preference but I think it lacks the character of the old one. I have about 4000pts of IW I got with the release of the latest 'dex, and I when I found out we had basically been removed from existence I was a little upset. I was thinking if it would be representing them well to use loyalist rules and just model them like IW. I dont have a SM dodex, so I don't know all the traits, but I know there are some for devistators and techmarines. What do you think?

Raven1
03-12-2007, 01:02
You can do real good with the new chaos codex. Once you get over the initial shock of it all, its neat imo.

What I have done is allow my brain to wonder and imagine all sorts of cool stuff to do. Which means some counts-as stuff, basically I take whatever mark I like, I have a sweet demonprince (no lash of submission either).
He has the MoT, but I think of it as the Mark of the Machine. Let your ambitions run wild. Play some thousand sons and call them obliterator cults like I plan to do. A little converting and you can get some sweet guys full of bionics.

even though you lost the bassilisk you still have a vindicator and the defiler is usefull if you are in a defensive mission and you can get it hull down.

so in the end use the new 'dex and have some fun.

Rikens
03-12-2007, 01:03
Go back to your local GW store and ask if they have any imagination in stock.

kidding...

I like it. You don't have to be strait-jacketed by the Legion rules anymore.

Vaktathi
03-12-2007, 01:15
Personally I've turned to just running large numbers of Terminators with 6 Obliterators for heavy support. It works pretty well and still fits the Iron Warriors theme pretty well.

Warboss Grimmtoof
03-12-2007, 01:22
I wonder if my store carries imagination? You know what, I work there so I should probably know that...:cries: I just don't like not having any indirect firing units. I do agree that the new chaos is good, but I guess I am still in a little shock from the degree of change they made. I don't mean to hijack my own topic here but am I retarded because I can't find the new vindicators anywhere and everyone seems to have them! Where are you people getting them?

P.S. before anyone says it, dont say it.

Bolter Bait
03-12-2007, 01:27
Use MoT Marines to represent bionically enhanced marines (+5 ward = bionics, essentially). Use the rules for Khorne Berserkers to represent the bloodthirsty and ruthless melee assault squads that the Iron Warriors were known for fielding once the fortifications were breached. Take a Vindicator or maybe a defiler and load up on Oblits. Heck, have some fun and field a unit of Rubrics and call them corrupted war robots that were found on a ship near the Eye of Terror drifting along for the past 30k years (I forget when robot legions existed).

Play bunker assault missions and be the attacker so you get Preliminary Bombardment, courtesy of the Artillery Train firing from off the immediate scene of action (aka, the table top).*

Iron Warriors are still perfectly capable of being fielded, just without the no-brainer over-powered choices. Not every IW force has to include some part of the Artillery Train right there on the field - playing the strike force charging through the breached walls can be satisfying alone.

*(Personally, I think it is a stupid mistake on the designers part to even allow any sort of artillery to be actually fielded on the table top beyond small things equivalent to modern day field howitzers or short-range assault guns. It makes no sense that a Basalisk, a vehicle with a gun that can launch a shell from FAR behind your own lines, should drive up to within what is effectively a mere 240 ft. from the enemy just to shoot them. The game would have been better if Basalisk batteries, and other similar long-range artillery, came from reserves like Orbital Bombardments are, except with the ability to not shoot for a turn while the spotter unit that is on the table top triangulates new coordinates to be bombarded).

Rikens
03-12-2007, 05:25
Bolter bait:

Originally Basilisks were artillery pieces impressed into service as assault guns.

MALICIOUS LOGIC
03-12-2007, 06:01
After reading Storm of Iron and Dead Sky Black Sun, I would use the Lost and the Damned rules to represent Iorn Warriors.

In the fiction, Iron Warriors force was mostly human and chaos/mutant slaves. The only Iron Warriors were the comanders and some elite units. They also used a LOT of siege artillery like Bassilisks. So I would include one of those and some other tanks.

The one thing they never seemed to use a lot of was the Obliterators. Which is what many people used in the old Chaos codex.

Seth the Dark
03-12-2007, 06:15
Personally I've turned to just running large numbers of Terminators with 6 Obliterators for heavy support. It works pretty well and still fits the Iron Warriors theme pretty well.

It seems someone has a little Termy addiction....

I would go with as much fire power as possible backed up with several vehicles.

Admiral Samuel Eden
03-12-2007, 06:40
MoT is a good idea, or just run lots of bolter squads with missile troops. get some rhinos and some vindicators and run a mechanised siege assault army.
Havocs bombard the enemy to allow your squads to advance.
Rhinos move the troops within rapid fire range.
Vindicators clear the path.
Troops with bolters jump out and shoot everyone, that the Iron Warrior way.
Brutal, Blunt and Effective.
Still, the Rhino Palisade used to be a great Iron Warrior tactic but now without the basalisk that gone out the window.

Vaktathi
03-12-2007, 07:08
It seems someone has a little Termy addiction....

Oh god yes....:D (although my original Chaos army idea from the last codex also had a 20man unit of termi's)

Brother Loki
03-12-2007, 11:40
Malicious logic - I'm guessing you mean Lost and the Damned, not Legion of the Damned. LatD is the mixed chaos list. LotD is the ghostly remnants of the Fire Hawks Chapter, who turn up out of nowhere to help imperial forces facing overwhelming odds.

LawrencePhillips
03-12-2007, 14:26
WHAT! wait a min. You're not sure how to field a balenced army given a codex that does it for you... Oh wait, IW. You're not sure how to field a broken list that takes the best units from other armies and mixes them with daemon princes and land raiders.

IW are easily represented by taking any of the following: Havocs, Oblitorators, Preaditors, Vindicators, chosen with heavy weapons, full squads of marines with heavy weapons. To stay true to the background avoid taking rapotors, deamons of any kind (unless you make yourself some cool machanical ones), marked units of any kind. You can simply model the bionics to your hearts content, no one said replacement limbs would necessarily be any better than the orriginal ones. Especially if it's a gift of chaos.

The end result should be a balenced list that leans more to the shooting end of the spectrum but with several units of CSM and a lord should be able to hold it's own in assaults too.

Ironhand
03-12-2007, 14:38
Play Apocalypse. Take a Linebreaker Squadron or two, multiple Havoc Squads, multiple units of Obliterators and Terminators, and at least one battery of Basilisks if not a whole company. And of course, a Baneblade - suitably converted and painted.

You can represent Iron Warriors in Apocalypse at least with the new Codex better than you ever could with the old one, and no one will complain about your army being "cheesy".