PDA

View Full Version : Using music in/for 40K games

IG_hopeful
03-12-2007, 01:15
Okay, I know Shrek the Third has nothing to do with 40K but a song from that movie got me to thinking of a cool tune to play during (first CC phase for Nids' on the turn that they charge. I'd have to go with: Immigrant Song.

As for IG (Cadians) I'd have to go with Bagpipe music (if you can find a good enough scaled figure to use as a piper (for color in the IG army)

logosloki
03-12-2007, 01:19
"thunderhorse" from deathklok (metalocalypse) works for some reason. Plus the music video is hilarious

Cry of the Wind
03-12-2007, 01:36
I used to use the sound track from Mechwarrior 2 as background music when gaming at my place. Now I'm more likely to be in a GW for a game and they are playing the radio now. Since it's christmas time this can lead to some interesting music to listen to while describing how your commander is going to paste the entrails of the enemy army across the battlefield...

Voleron
03-12-2007, 03:09
I try to get the store staff to put Iron Maiden's "Mother Russia" into the CD player whenever someone shows up with Valhallans/Vostroyans. Best. V-Guard Music. Evar.

Triggerdog
03-12-2007, 03:59
my GW has a constant flow of movie music over its speakers. notable tunes are the soundtracks to 300, Aliens, the Matrix trillogy, and Gladiator

gojira316
03-12-2007, 04:53
Anything by Rage Against the Machine.

Herman the Heathen
03-12-2007, 05:27
Master of Puppets with Metallica for all the Tzeenth boyz out there...

Agrip. Varenus Denter
03-12-2007, 05:38
I got some good ideas from this thread (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60858&highlight=gaming+music) and recently added my picks to this one (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110654&highlight=music) - for 40K I like Rammstein, Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Apocalyptica, Battlelore, Richard Wagner, The HALO soundtrack... and as far as free music - This (http://www.alarinmusic.com/music/shadowrun.php) can be perfect for Eldar (Dark types, too) and Necromunda.

cleansingfury
03-12-2007, 07:20
Its a small world after all, start it right as the game begins, loop it until the end.

Really though? Dropkick murphies!
Hey my 2 ten men assault squads each with attached chaplain charges you from the rear! *bag pipes play*

Great fun!

Duoth
03-12-2007, 07:48
It would all depend on the army I am playing with.

'Nids - Most likely some heavy bass/fast paced techno...usually Prodigy does the trick.

IG (with or without GK allies) - I play a mix of DKoK/Steel Legion and use bands like Oomph/Rammstein/Eisbrecher. I have used songs like Killswitch Engage - Holy Diver on a few occasions :p

elvinltl
03-12-2007, 08:51
Com'on man! Just listen to any music you like, anyway you play the game to have fun and should be enjoying yourself with music you like.

Strangely, i don't play Tabletop with any music. Maybe because we talk alot but it does not seem quiet when we play. It always end up with tease, swearing and all sorts of jokes when we play.

I <3 W
03-12-2007, 09:26
isnt the immigrant song by led zepplin? hmm what about another brick in the wall for someone? or kids with guns by the gorillaz for guard :) hehe

alphastealer
03-12-2007, 10:02
I don't use any music, but a few of my opponents...most notably an ork, like to make sound effects whenever they move, shoot and assault.

At first I thought they were tards, now I find it makes the games more light hearted. I have even caught myself making hissing noises when my nids charge.

Maybe music would be better, but sounds can be fun.

Qualdinesh
03-12-2007, 10:12
I don't use any music, but a few of my opponents...most notably an ork, like to make sound effects whenever they move, shoot and assault.

At first I thought they were tards, now I find it makes the games more light hearted. I have even caught myself making hissing noises when my nids charge.

Maybe music would be better, but sounds can be fun.

Stuff like this makes the game so much more fun :D

dblaz3r
03-12-2007, 10:17
Since it's christmas time this can lead to some interesting music to listen to while...

Interesting or do you mean alot of cliff richards greatest xmas hits:D

WEll thats what they play in NZ anyway, so monotonous.

Luebbi
03-12-2007, 11:14
I'm making a point out of playing Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJIjdajBww) for every single We'll Be Back Phase with my Necrons. The effect on my opponents is hilarious.

I get knocked down
but I get up again
you're never gonna keep me down

If I ever add a Monolith to my army, I'm planning to put a cheapass mp3 player and a small speaker into it just so I can use this demoralizing tactic even when I'm not playing at home.

Hand of Dume
03-12-2007, 14:27
BOLT THROWER!!! all about war and devastation. plus they actually sing (growl) about 40k and were at one time promoted by GW. Realms of Chaos; Warmaster; and Honour, Valour, Pride to just name a few cd's.

sukigod
03-12-2007, 14:39
I used to use the sound track from Mechwarrior 2 as background music when gaming at my place. =

I still use this one, it's a classic. the sndtrk to Das Boot is very good as well. Non-movie related, most things by Fear Factory is good for Choas and Orks. I'd use Rob Zombie, Super Sexy Remixes ifI played Slaanesh.

TheMartyr451
03-12-2007, 14:42
Here are some great ambient bands that go great with 40k:

Arcana (The Last Embrace album reminds me of Imperial Guard)
Dargaard (Eternity Rites is their best imo)
Encryption
Midnight Syndicate
Darkspace (ambient/black metal, reminds me of Chaos Marines)

Any epic/battle/war movie soundtracks would work great with 40k.

If you're interested in links to these bands, or more recommendations, PM me. I'd be more than happy to do so :)

Joewrightgm
03-12-2007, 14:44
I have a playlist on iTunes called "the Four Gods" and it has some good'uns. like:
Infected, Bad Religion
Down with the Sickness, Disturbed
Bodies, Soldiers, by Drowning Pool
Mice & Gods, Clutch
Xerxes Pleasure Tent, 300 Soundtrack

you guys figure out which song belongs to which God.

For my Orks, its Monsters, Matchbook Romance, Gimme Back My Bullets (remix with Kid Rock), Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ordo Ouroboros
03-12-2007, 14:57
I got the score from the New Transformers movies and some of it is inspirational for my fluff

Logarithm Udgaur
03-12-2007, 15:10
Pretty much any of the metal stations from Live 365 go well with 40K/Fantasy. The main reason I listen is that it is free.

UncleCrazy
03-12-2007, 15:46
With my WE there is only one song Mifits "skulls"

Cry of the Wind
03-12-2007, 15:54
Interesting or do you mean alot of cliff richards greatest xmas hits:D

WEll thats what they play in NZ anyway, so monotonous.

No, we have classic rock for the most part then some random instrumental christmas music, then back to rock and a little while later some more random christsmas music...very annoying

I still use this one, it's a classic.

Yeah me and my dad were so excited the first time we put the CD into a music player just to see what would happen and it had the entire Mech2 soundtrack formated for CD players ready to go.

I find it interesting that metal music is normally considered the standard whenever these threads pop up. I tend to prefer epic orchestral more often than not. No words to distract you, just a nice background for the action like in movies.

Logarithm Udgaur
03-12-2007, 17:13
Most of the metal that I listen to is instrumental.