PDA

View Full Version : Second game, Second loss, still fun

Jacktheripper34
03-12-2007, 01:36
Hey everyone, you may or may not have seen my post on my first game in which i detailed my solid defeat in my first game ever. Well I had my rematch today and well, it went a lot lot worse. I got absolutely massacered, in the end i had half a unit of Night gobbo spearmen left, and a doom diver, basically my plan went to the wind, and after some ridiculous rolls (for instance i managed to hit the enemy general with the doom diver, rolled six hits, and didnt wound on a single one) my hard hitting units were taken down early, my line cracked early, and I basically got run over. Still it was a great time, and i had a lot of fun. But after two games I am starting to realize (after talking with my opponent, he's great friend, actually helps me) that my failure on the field isnt mearly inexperience, or the fact that he has a lot of it. It is largely in part to my army build, I just dont have the support for my combat blocks to make the army effective, so its back to the drawing board. Iv decided to make the army a mixed list, and im dropping two 35 strong Night gobbo spear blocks for 25 Orc boyz, and 25 Black orcs, (also droping the special character, i realize now why no one takes them, my black orc big boss, chariot and squig heard) and finally 2 spear chuckas to add a little more shooting to the army. Next battles gonna be a couple weeks from now, gotta get all those new models painted up. Ill post after the next battle.

Glimfeather
03-12-2007, 02:21
Jack,

It is great to see your enthusiasm. I have been playing WHFB for about 9 months and have about 20 games under my belt. I think I have won two games. I am starting to feel better about my army builds and feeling a little better about my tactic's as well. I played a game about two weeks ago against Ogre's for the first time and was totally masacred by the fourth turn. It was humiliating. I almost packed up my army and went home. Instead, I played another game against Skaven and came out with a draw, just shy of a few points for a marginal victory for me.

It has been pretty rough, but I learn something different about my army every time I play - as well as something new about the rules and something new about my opponents.

Keep it up!

Grand Warlord
03-12-2007, 05:33
Yeah took me forever to figure out the empire army book, dont worry it DOES get easier with each battle.
welcome to the maelstorm of warhammer!

CaptScott
03-12-2007, 08:57
Its all about flanks, protect yours and hit his

- now that has to be the shortest tactical summary for WFB ever! ;)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
03-12-2007, 09:46
Its all about flanks, protect yours and hit his

- now that has to be the shortest tactical summary for WFB ever! ;)

QTF

Grats on being enthusiastic about your second loss, you are on your way to becoming a great Greenskin general. It takes a special kind of mentality to put up with this army (basically you have to be extremely adaptable, and have a comically nihilistic view of the world and toy soldiers).

theunwantedbeing
03-12-2007, 09:58
I won my first game, prpbably down to luck.
Didnt win again untill 6th edition.

Generally speaking if you hit 6 times and fail to score a single wound, thats just bad luck that you have no control over.
If you do maximum damage to an opponent and they still crush you in combat then thats down to poor choice of target.(inexperience is a good excuse for doing such things)

Recently I lost my general to my opponents vampire lord in combat.
(he cast van hels on irresistable force to get into combat with me)
I stood and shot with my 2+ to hit magical crossbow and missed both time.
He had 6 attacks(on foot, extra hand wepaon and a warrior familiar) and he hit and wounded 6 times.
I had 6 wounds(due to an earlier spell that increased my wounds by 3) and had given my sorceress a 4+ ward save.
I promptly failed all 6 4+ ward saves, needing just 1 to allow myself to survive.

The mount fled and was run down.
That was down to bad luck, really bad luck.
My opponent got luck with his spell to start with.
He then got lucky as I failed to hit him with my magic crossbow.
He again got lucking in hitting all 6 times.
Even wounding 6 times on 6 dice is quite lucky really(even though he only needed a 2+)
And I just had bad luck with my ward saves.

On the up side my hydra was nearby and it charged the following turn killing the enemy vampire easily.(down to my good positioning)

You just have to look at the wins and losses that way.
Dont blame army composition untill you know you did as much as you could with what you had, then start blaming army composition if your opponent wasnt ungodly lucky.

Commodus Leitdorf
03-12-2007, 11:10
Yeah its too early for you to be blaming your army comp for your losses. Two games isn't enough practice with it to make a truly informed decision. I say play another game or two and if certain elements in your list continue to underperform, then its time to swap out some stuff.

Bad dice happen all the time, its the nature of the game. All you can ever hope to do it try as best you can to stack the odds in your favour. The dice will do what they do, you have no control over that. For instance just the other day I managed a nice Enfilade shot with my cannon against a unit of saurus with a Scar Veteran in it. The Scar-vet failed his look out sir roll and I got all excited! All I needed was anything but a one for some good cannon smackdown!..... an low and behold :rolleyes:

The dice gods are fickle...I suggest sacrificing a D20 before every game to appease them.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
03-12-2007, 11:25
I dont mind a loss if my opponent is fun to play against. Half the fun is making fun of underperforming models, like my rubber-lancing Cold One Knights, or when my Witches, all 5 in BTB, refuse to roll 6's vs a Giant. You'd think with 15 dice to hit and 9 more to wound, I'd get ONE, but Nooooooooooooooooo...

Of course, I also enjoy celebrating ovrachieving models such as the Black Guard who put two wounds on a treeman, break it, and chase it down, especially when the accompanying Noble does diddly-poo despite the Blade of Ruin (yeah, I tooled that list for a treeman or two, sue me.)

Buckero0
03-12-2007, 18:47
I dont mind a loss if my opponent is fun to play against. Half the fun is making fun of underperforming models, like my rubber-lancing Cold One Knights, or when my Witches, all 5 in BTB, refuse to roll 6's vs a Giant. You'd think with 15 dice to hit and 9 more to wound, I'd get ONE, but Nooooooooooooooooo...

Of course, I also enjoy celebrating ovrachieving models such as the Black Guard who put two wounds on a treeman, break it, and chase it down, especially when the accompanying Noble does diddly-poo despite the Blade of Ruin (yeah, I tooled that list for a treeman or two, sue me.)

as long as you're having fun. I have way too many games like yours manticore. Where I should steamroll the opponent and end up running like a little kitten.

Keep playing - it can be tough for a few months, but if you learn something every defeat - you'll get better.

Count Sinister
03-12-2007, 18:57
That's the way WH can go sometimes - but as long as you can sit back after the game (win or lose) and think to yourself 'that was a hell of a lot of fun', then there's always a reason to come back to the table. It's nice to win, of course, but when it gets to about 50/50, then it's satisfying, because you know you're learning.
Also - any pics of your army? I am very tempted, after seeing it on another thread, to do a goblin army just to do a Christmas themed army. I wouldn't mind losing the majority of the games I played with them, just as long as I could field an entire army in red and white with nice little bobble hats... It'll probably never happen, though. Not enough time... Never enough time...

Jacktheripper34
03-12-2007, 21:27
hey everyone, thanks for all the support and enthusiastic replies, I really did have fun, and I know its pretty early to start changing the army like crazy, but there are just a few units that I think i could swap out and become much more effective, but ill take your advice and play two or three more games before i touch it. There were two extreamly comical events in the game that A went in my favor, and B got a big laugh out of both of us. THe first was when I sniped his fire wizard from sixty one (three with gobbo correction) inches away with my doom diver, we both thought it was funny because it had been about 2 inches off of everything id shot at all day, and the second one was when I realeased a fanatic on the charge, who only went three inches, so i charged through him, but not ending my move on him, surprisingly not causing any wounds to myself, that very turn my unit (with my general) got beat down, turned tail and ran back over it, this time loosing 2 of their number, but things really got comical when he persued ended on top of the fanatic, and in the end lost every man in his unit but his general, on second thought i may have been the only one laughing.

Dwarf Runelord 45
19-12-2007, 23:09
That useually happens with O&G a victory or a massacre. But at least you have fun