PDA

View Full Version : I need help(woodelves)

cowzrnomatoh
03-12-2007, 03:31
Guys, I love Woodelves, I love the Alter kindred.

I cant seem to line up these "Combined charges" everyone says that works..
Please rant off some tips!

Chicago Slim
03-12-2007, 12:34
Keep your three Alters near each other (no more than 2" apart-- in fact, they should look like a little tiny skirmisher unit). Only declare charges against units that are within range of the farthest of the three.

Be a bit careful about charging ranked-up infantry (12 attacks at WS6 S6 has about a 50/50 chance of beating their high static combat resolution).

the anti santa
03-12-2007, 12:54
Well Wood Elves should be able to outshoot most armies, so the trick is to outmanouver them and force them to come to you.

Use scouting and fast units to march block them and get a unit of fast cavalry up the sides to threaten the flanks.

The classic combined charge is a unit of wardancers or dryads in the front (you could add the alter with them in there too) and wild or glade riders in the flank/rear.

I use my glade guard as bait, putting them in the open with some combat skirmishers nearby, whilst the fast cavalry threaten the enemy flanks. If they turn to face the fast cavalry then move away and keep shooting them.

Keep the skirmishers in terrain, remember most of the combat ones can't choose to flee, but your glade guard and eternal guard can.

Alters and fast cavalry have an 18" charge range so you should be able to outcharge pretty much any enemy unit. Just make sure that the enemy can't countercharge you if they flee or you don't break them.

Malorian
03-12-2007, 18:21
Just make sure you aren't wasting your time. There's no reason to multi-charge if you're still going to lose and have all your units run away.

Pick at them slowly and only commit when you have to.

matthew_swifty
03-12-2007, 19:59
Tree singing is incredibly useful to dictate where your enemy moves. Wild Riders in the flank and wardancers in the front works extremely well. Due to our insane maneuverability, this is easy to create because tree singing can move wardancers and wild riders when only one of the members of the unit needs to see the enemy to charge it. My personal favourite is wild riders in the flank and an alter in the front because they can outcharge etty much anything in any army.

cowzrnomatoh
09-12-2007, 06:19
Tree singing is incredibly useful to dictate where your enemy moves. Wild Riders in the flank and wardancers in the front works extremely well. Due to our insane maneuverability, this is easy to create because tree singing can move wardancers and wild riders when only one of the members of the unit needs to see the enemy to charge it. My personal favourite is wild riders in the flank and an alter in the front because they can outcharge etty much anything in any army.

My friends love to "out-magic" me as they see fit. so I can hardly ever use treesinging. And for some crazy reason, The wildriders tell me to go screw my-self every game as they WILL ALWAYS fail they're leadership checks and fall off the board or into some one or just for the fun of it...I never have good luck with wildriders.

Kraggi
10-12-2007, 21:13
The Wood Elf Army does need the combine charges to work well, and for myself the only way to ensure you can get two or more units into combat is to go combat heavy with your unit selections.

In my 2000 point I have two 12 man Glade Guard Units, a 5 man Waywatcher unit and a Noble with the Hail of Doom Arrow.

The rest of the army consists of a Wardancer Noble, a Branch Wraith and Spellsinger (those for the dispell dice). Three Units of 8 Dryads, Two 6 man Wardancer units and Treeman (I think thats it all).

This way I have soooo many combat units that I can always get those multi unit charges. As soon as I have lost a unit or two it all starts to go down hill (or when the Casket of Souls get cast cause I decided three dispel dice could roll higher than 7 rather than using my dispel scroll >.<)

Havent tried the Alters yet... not managed to start modelling one yet. Soon tho.