PDA

View Full Version : what army has the best long range magical weapon????

lector#1
03-12-2007, 06:05
ok im looking at making a long range character either high elf or wood elf im leaning towards high elf so i can use the bow of sea fearer but do the wood elves have a better ranged weapon because i have not looked at the army book yet

Admiral Samuel Eden
03-12-2007, 06:44
Hmmmmmmmmm, I would probably say that absolutely horrible wood elf throwing spear that shoots like a bolt thrower. One of them on a great eagle (A bolt thrower that moves with winds) is hell on toast. 'Oh look theres a mean old unit of Chosen Knights of Khorne.'
"Oh look its disappeared, thats odd."

Dranthar
03-12-2007, 06:50
If you want to shoot things I would recommend Wood Elves.

I would also recomend punctuaton and capitalisation. :D

Sauron90
03-12-2007, 08:04
Hmmmmmmmmm, I would probably say that absolutely horrible wood elf throwing spear that shoots like a bolt thrower. One of them on a great eagle (A bolt thrower that moves with winds) is hell on toast. 'Oh look theres a mean old unit of Chosen Knights of Khorne.'
"Oh look its disappeared, thats odd."

That spear was realy nice, but it was removed in the 6th edition army list.

You could use an Alter Highborne though with the anti heavy cavalery set up.

Bow of Loren and Arcane bodkins.

5 S 3 shots a turn with BS 6 and no armour save. The weakness is that its only S 3.

mistformsquirrel
03-12-2007, 08:20
I thought that if you had a magical bow, you couldn't use the effects of magical arrows? Like you have to decide one or the other each round? Or did I misread that?

freelancer
03-12-2007, 09:50
Why constrict yourself to elf's? The Empire has the Dragon bow (36" Str. 6) and you can get cannons and handguns:D whats not to love:D

freelancer

lector#1
03-12-2007, 10:05
well im restricting to elves because its not for an army its for a scenario im putting to gether and the elves seem like the best way to go i like the 5 str 3 no armor saving weapon its cool but wouldnt 6 str 4 shots with -2 armor save have more chance of killing seeing as it doesnt require as much to wound?

ehlijen
03-12-2007, 10:29
How about:

Master Rune of Flight
Rune of might
third rune of your choice..?

Dranthar
03-12-2007, 11:26
?

I see a question mark, which is an improvement, but you can do better! Try holding downthat 'shift' button when starting a new sentence, and pressing one of those little 'dot' buttons when you finish each sentence. :D

I think on the whole 6x S4 shots at -2 is generally going to be a better choice in most situations, but once again, it really depends on what you're trying to kill. Once the armour save gets high enough the 5x S3 with no save is going to get better.

In situations such as this I prefer to stick with what looks cooler. ;)

night2501
03-12-2007, 15:36
well strictly speaking is not a magic weapon, but the WE hail of doom arrows works quite well, 3d6 s4 shots hurt, and the good point is that as is not a weapon you can have a magic sword shot the thing and then gointo combat...
now WE do have some nice shoting combos as some magic arrows can be combined with magic bows, but i think the HE are the ones in posesion of the best magic bows, the one that works as a boltrower and the ones that give multiple shoots at hig strengh are quite good

MarcoPollo
03-12-2007, 22:23
The best long range magical weapon (in the general sense) is the hellcannon. I don't think that this is what the poster was going for, but I thought I'd put it on.

malisteen
03-12-2007, 22:57
If you want to win the game in the shooting phase, you should look to dwarves or Empire. Both have some fun character shooting options, but they back them up with affordible S4 small arms fire and heavy artillery.

High elves would be the next choice. They have a nice character bow, iirc, one that out-shines the character shooting options of Empire and Dwarves. However, high priced, S3 small arms does not lay the foundation for a convincing shooting army, and the Repeater Bolt Thrower, while nice, is not as effective against heavy targets as a good cannon. As such, High elf shooting tends to be more a support thing - picking off flanking units and wittling down ranks before close combat is joined - rather then a victory condition in and of itself.

Even moreso with Wood Elves. If you look only at characters, they've got some very effective set-ups - including fast moving lords that can drop several armor-ignoring shots each round and scouting or mounted heroes that can drop one turn of concetrated shooty death in the form of the hail of doom arrow. And wood elves have better small arms then high elves - more mobile, and s4 at short range.

However, the complete lack of heavy artillery means that a wood elf army really just can't win in the shooting phase alone. They'll have even less luck in this regard then High Elves. While their ranged support is top notch, probably the best in the game, they really need to properly manage their excellant melee assets in order to win games.

So if you want an army with some superb sniping heroes and good ranged support that wears the enemy down before beating them with light, mobile melee elements, then pick wood elves. If you want to actually crush your opponants with a barrage of long range shooty death choose empire or dwarves (or skaven, actually). If you want something inbetween then go with high elves.

Greymarch
04-12-2007, 02:59
Do you want it to be magical for the purposes of hitting ethereal creatures or magical as in a magic item in general?

lector#1
04-12-2007, 06:36
im actually liking the doom arrows and im leaning towards the WE now because its not actually for the army its just a small scenario im setting up wich will be like 20-30 WE and endless amount of gobbos for 6 turns

Ddraggoch
04-12-2007, 07:05
im actually liking the doom arrows and im leaning towards the WE now because its not actually for the army its just a small scenario im setting up wich will be like 20-30 WE and endless amount of gobbos for 6 turns

Keep in mind that the Hail of Doom Arrow is one use only. It doesn't sound like it would be very useful in that scenario.

lector#1
04-12-2007, 07:25
So what would be a good choice in a scenario like that.?

Veshnakar
04-12-2007, 07:48
Don't all of the shooting attacks from skaven jezzails, warpfire throwers, ratling guns, poison wind globes, and warp lightning cannons all count as magical? I think that would mean skaven has the most magical shooting, but between wood and high elves, I would definitely have to say the wood elves, but it's mostly all on characters.

Red_Duke
04-12-2007, 08:43
Heh, Dwarves and TK have some pretty damn mean magical ranged weapons too - although not on characters...

Overall ive never been all that amazed by the WE magical bows to be honest... Hunters talon COULD Be useful, and combined with pageant of shrikes would allow even a hero level to have quite a good chance of sniping an enemy wizard.

With an Altar Highborn you could take the bow of loren and arcane bodkins and have 5 shots with no AS, but as mentioned before, only S3.

And for the bolt thrower one, youre into special character territory...

WLBjork
04-12-2007, 08:53
Of course it's Dwarfs.

Lots of Runed-up War machines, what's not to like?

Darkspear
04-12-2007, 09:03
I am quite surprised that no one mentioned the high elves. High Elves have lots of good range weapons in their arsenal. The mightly reaver bow with 3S5 shots can easily beat off the arcane bodkins Woodelf guy. In addition you have the ring of fury, 2d6 s4 magic missles with no exhaust, even if the foe dispel it, he waste dispel dice.

A lord on an eagle can easily take both magic items, a great weapon and still wear armor and enchanted shield to protect you from shooting. 2d6 S4 during magic phase, 3S5 shots in shooting phase, 4S5 strike first in melee phase. for 300 points its worth it!

night2501
04-12-2007, 10:15
if that`s the case I would recomend a WE hero with the arrows that make the oponent cech for panic if they suffer a wound, only one shot a turnm but quite good against gobos

lector#1
04-12-2007, 11:58
ok im looking at wood elves because i like the fluff side but can i get more than 1 of the magical arrows?
or is there a magical arrow that lets my dude take more than 3 shots at str 4 that isnt one use only other wise ill give him magic arrows and then a sword or sumthing

Onisuzume
04-12-2007, 12:26
The Lizardmen Staff of the Lost Sun. :p
S5 short bow with 3 Multiple shots.

Arkturas
04-12-2007, 12:29
As stated a few posts back the only way that I know of for multiple shooting attacks is HE Lord with magic bow and fury of khaine ring for shots in shooting and magic phases. You can always mount him on a horse, eagle, griffon or dragon.

lector#1
04-12-2007, 16:03
can i give a WE lord multiple doom arrows or other magic arrows ontop of doom arrows?

Onisuzume
04-12-2007, 16:04
can i give a WE lord multiple doom arrows or other magic arrows ontop of doom arrows?
It's a magic item, so unless it states somewhere that you can take multiple ones of it, I'd say no.

Red_Duke
04-12-2007, 16:38
Quite. Also, youre still limited to only 1 enchanted item on a character, so if he took hail of doom arrow, he couldnt for instance take arcane bodkins as well.

Could take a bow, as its a magical weapon, but would be a bit pointless really...

lector#1
05-12-2007, 01:33
ok im not sure on the points but can doom arrows and the bow that has 5 str 3 attack no AS on the same character or are they too expensive points wise

night2501
05-12-2007, 02:10
lector#1 I think the point cost is not the problem, but the fact that those items are form 2 diferent armies...

now the set up i think will work best for you with WE is the folowing

for 2K+ point a lord with starfire arrows and bow of loren, that makes 4 shots at S3, but you only need to kill a single gobo for making them test, and at ld5 that single kill could drive away a whole unit of them.
you can make it alter to get +1 shot a turn, in that case as is a shoting char I think is better to give him protective items rather than ofensive ones.
in case you can only use a lord, starfire arrows + shoting spite + alter + great weapon, quite flexible, less reliable than the lord as with one shot a turn kiling a gobo is more dificult, you could also take other arrows or item combinations, there is a quite good one a spite that makes a target unit check for stupidity i nthey next phase, and other nice things that work on low Ld armies like gobo hordes

if you go for HE against gobos I think the 2 bows should work great, sois up to you, but if you can take a lord and a hero, take the 2 bows one in each char + RBT and lay waste on the goblins

Admiral Samuel Eden
05-12-2007, 03:35
Its magical though people probably don't consider it magical. The Hell Cannon. That thing is absolutely horrible. I don't like chaos people with huge guns.
As to the spear being removed, I didn't know about that. Goes to show how much I face WE. Thanks for telling me. My only WE opponent I've faced about twice he has never used it. Now I know why.
If the hell cannon is not accepted then I do quite like the dragon bow as its pretty good. Especially since I play empire. I don't like magic shooting much though. Bring on a cannon and a load of hand gunners any day.

Greymarch
05-12-2007, 05:14
Warpstone Stars.

Though if this is a special scenario and not a regular game you could always just say that the Welf has more than one of those magic arrows anyways.

htx321
05-12-2007, 09:27
The sea farer bow on an eagle mounted character is tasty indeed:)

Coupling it with a noble on foot with the reaver bow can be interesting as well.

Chiungalla
05-12-2007, 09:46
ok im not sure on the points but can doom arrows and the bow that has 5 str 3 attack no AS on the same character or are they too expensive points wise

That are 3 items, and they can not be combined on one character.

You can have either 4-5 Strengh 3 attacks with no armor save.
Or you can have 4-5 Strengh 3 attacks with armor save and the doom arrows.

lector#1 I think the point cost is not the problem, but the fact that those items are form 2 diferent armies...

No, they are not.
They are all wood elf items.

SV_Harlequin
05-12-2007, 09:47
High Elves haver Better Magic bows, ever more so if you count Anar and his Moonbow.
Wood Elves have Better Magic arrows, of course Wood Elves are the only ones with Magic Arrows.

The Wood Elf stuff is very target specific hence the arrows, you pic the arrows to do a specific job, deal with a certain target.

The High Elf stuff you pic to kill stuff

Anointed_By_Filth
10-12-2007, 15:42
I play wood elves, magic arrows and magic bows can not be combined. Bow and Loren and Arcane Bodkins don't work together, neither do Hagbane and Hunter's Talon or any other combination thereof.

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
10-12-2007, 15:59
Im kinda going out on a limb here, but while we were talking about one use items, what about the skaven warpscroll on a grey seer? A str 3 hit on every model in the targeted unit...Not bad (ive killed 38 goblins before with this thing)

gondarion
10-12-2007, 15:59
I play wood elves, magic arrows and magic bows can not be combined. Bow and Loren and Arcane Bodkins don't work together

This is patently false. The hunter's talon is different because it specifically says you cannot combine it, but there is no such stipulation with the other magic bows. Re-read the rules before you declaim please.

SV_Harlequin
10-12-2007, 16:08
I play wood elves, magic arrows and magic bows can not be combined. Bow and Loren and Arcane Bodkins don't work together, neither do Hagbane and Hunter's Talon or any other combination thereof.
Completely wrong!

You can combine Magic Bows and Arrows and it even says so if their rules you sometimes though have to choose if you use the Bows magic Abilties or that of the Arrows.

The Bodkins however doesn't matter and lets you use both its ability and that of the Bow of Loren.

madden
10-12-2007, 17:13
use the casket of souls!! sure its a spell but trated like shooting if you see it your hit(sort of)Whoops no grammer.

Jonke
11-12-2007, 02:27
I'd say a wood elf alter kindred lord with bow of loren and starfire arrows. 5 s 3 shoots and any unit which takes one wound must take a panic test, great vs. gobbos and you even have a few points left to get some armour or a nice sword.

Makaber
11-12-2007, 03:06
Hail of Doom Arrow, man. ********* Hail of Doom Arrow.

night2501
11-12-2007, 12:34
oh about the bow confusion sorryi readed 3 S5 shots instead of 5 S3 shots LOL

still as othe rpeople have said the best combo for taking goblinswith WE magic bow/arrow would be bow of loren + starfire arrow