PDA

View Full Version : do eldar use camo on there tanks?

rickie8437
03-12-2007, 09:41
do eldar use camo on there tanks?

ive just started to paint my eldar army and would like to know do eldar use camo

i know that aspect warriors are kind of like marines that they wouldnt use camo but what about there tanks and the guardians?

rick

Eetion
03-12-2007, 10:18
Why bother throwing camo netting over a holofield? Id say no.

IG Tank Commander "Look a flying net...... SHOOT THERE!"

Sister_Sin
03-12-2007, 10:46
Camo nets, no. But camo paint I can see...the things aren't always moving and if at rest still need to be hidden from observation to avoid being targeted directly. I don't see why not really.

In the end it's up to you; your army, do it how you wish.

Sister Sin

Remoah
03-12-2007, 10:51
Holofields: Active Camouflage.
Essentially, it camouflages itself, however, i don't see any problem with some form of stripy looking camo, if you want to paint it that way, it would have to be like a wierd, few stripes on single colour background kinda thing.

CaptainSenioris
03-12-2007, 11:35
The Biel-Tan scheme found in most Eldar codex books is about as close to camo as I've seen Eldar tanks get.

rickie8437
03-12-2007, 15:06
was going to do them in a desert camo as i fight mostly on a desert board

Chaos Undecided
03-12-2007, 15:22
They're your models you can paint them as you wish and it could probably look quite cool.

I think with Eldar its just that their technology i.e Holofields and generally prefered tactics of fast decessive strikes renders the use of Camouflage fairly redundant. Although having said that the way Holofields seem to work I'd imagine a patterned color scheme would make them more effective than a single solid color

Also from the marines point of view I think its very dependent on individual chapters (and who's geneseed traits they follow) I've seen a couple of vehicles done up in Camo from the Raptors chapter but I dont really see chapters from Dorn's line using it.

Direhamster
03-12-2007, 15:28
That would be very cool, and i suggest you do it, especially if you play Alaitoc - style army - cammo would be most welcomed, also uber hi-tech flacon with cammo netting would make a funny contrast, especially if it is modelled as if battle worn - something like: "Rangers procured cameleoline cammo netting on our falcon, as our holofield is rather dingy and sometimes it falis to kick in :)..."

Do remember "cool factor" - if it looks cool - it's most probably ok - I'd imagine it that way, that your army's colour scheme - if you have any - to be barely visible from under the net.

Also concerning Beil Tan - being the proudest of all craftworlds - they actually have reasonably not too vivid colour scheme, while sneaky alaitoc types go around all happy blue and yellow :D

Concerning Holofield and Cammo - they actually do different jobs - holo makes the vehicle more difficult to target precisely - cammo makes it harder to detect.

Cheers

Direhamster

Logarithm Udgaur
03-12-2007, 16:49
Camo also makes things harder to target precisely. Just take a look at some of the zebra patterns used on warships during WWII.

rickie8437
03-12-2007, 16:58
cool thanks guys

Idaan
03-12-2007, 19:56
I think that in the Eldar section of Aeronautica Imperialis there is a Iyanden lozenge pattern applied on the wings of their aircraft, so it's not that farfetched. Also on the GW site under different paint schemes Biel-Tan Swordwind Sylvanos (so probably some warhost fighting on a forest planet) is shown in forest camo. So the precedent is set, but try to avoid normal, human patterns and instead go for something more alien.

The Guy
03-12-2007, 21:27
I thought Eldar would be too arrogant to use camo as they deem it "under" them.

Moostikal The Confused
03-12-2007, 21:41
Don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that some aspect warriors wear colours that differ somewhat to those normally associated with their shrine. Biel-Tan more so than most i think. Pathfinders do it so why not?

What looks good but is very time consuming is digital camo. Lots of squares making up the pattern. Its still DPM but, like, made of squares.

rickie8437
03-12-2007, 21:44
yeah what you mean

im think more of a desert shade of brown with a sort of tau pater on the tank

i only have 1 falcone and 2 firestorms so want them to look good

Moostikal The Confused
03-12-2007, 21:52
If you can, i'd try not to go for a 2-tone scheme. After all, i don't think you want them lookin like the UK Paras on there sandy, sandy holidays...

For reference try lookin at the US DPM patterns, They use soo much better lookin desert kit than we do, or i used to.

Bregalad
03-12-2007, 21:54
I will do a camo scheme also when painting my Eldar army. The craftworld is close to Exodites and has experience fighting on planets. So it is justified by their fluff, even if most camo is done by the holofields.

Kage2020
03-12-2007, 22:05
I thought Eldar would be too arrogant to use camo as they deem it "under" them.
That seems to be the standard argument for why most armies don't use camouflage themes. ;)

Kage

rickie8437
03-12-2007, 22:40
yeah i know what you mean i still have some of my dpm deserts in the back cupboard lol

sounds good will try and see what happens

rick