PDA

View Full Version : Baneblade questions

Easy E
03-12-2007, 11:39
I have two questions about Baneblades. These questions cover the spectrum of rules, modelling, and background, so I wasn't sure where to post it. Mods, if you feel it is necessary, pleae move this.

1. The Baneblade has the option for two pairs of sponsons. I want to place my sponsons with the front set facing forward and the rear set facing backwards. Is there any rules issues with this modelling choice?

2. Camo on a Baneblade? Do you think it makes sense from a fluff perspective, or would the Imperials not bother since it's a super-heavy tank. How about from a painting/modelling perspective?

Thanks.

untimention
03-12-2007, 11:47
1. the back set i would extend out meaning all could be fired and have line of site from the front.

2. camo yes would look very nice on the tank but in real terms it would be rather pointless, ie camo on a titan .... the second the tank moved i think people would notice a huge rumbling tank

sigur
03-12-2007, 12:29
1. The Baneblade has the option for two pairs of sponsons. I want to place my sponsons with the front set facing forward and the rear set facing backwards. Is there any rules issues with this modelling choice?

Well, it's a bit odd in the way that you measure firing range and lines of firing from the weapon that is shooting and the baneblade sponsons limit the firing arc of the t/l Heavy Bolters to about 80 to the front.

2. Camo on a Baneblade? Do you think it makes sense from a fluff perspective, or would the Imperials not bother since it's a super-heavy tank. How about from a painting/modelling perspective?

When it comes to IG, camouflage painting has always been the new black, innit?:) For my Baneblade, I'm going for a mix of camo and flashy badges so it has mainly an IG-look but more for show and flavor than for really hiding this beast. But it definately fits the fluff. Come to think of it, I have hardly seen any imperial Baneblades without camouflage painting yet.

Chaos and Evil
03-12-2007, 12:31
Camo on a Baneblade would make sense in order to help conceal it from orbital observation.

Reaver83
03-12-2007, 12:59
But how do you conceal the track imprints?

sigur
03-12-2007, 13:10
Oooh, it's getting technical now. Cool, I love discussions about technology in 40k, how it works and what it can/can't do.:) *leaves*

Voleron
03-12-2007, 13:16

I suddenly had visions of a super-heavy infantryman walking bakwards behind the Baneblade, sweeping a super-heavy branch over the track marks to conceal them...

reds8n
03-12-2007, 13:45

With huge piles of dead guardsmen.

pookie
03-12-2007, 13:52
I have two questions about Baneblades. These questions cover the spectrum of rules, modelling, and background, so I wasn't sure where to post it. Mods, if you feel it is necessary, pleae move this.

no, just use a Left sponson on the Right and vice versa.

Sholto
03-12-2007, 14:10
no, just use a Left sponson on the Right and vice versa. Although you will have to do a bit of work, since the square recesses in the track guards into which the sponsons fit are different on each side, so without modification the left won't fit on the right and vice versa.

Sholto

aad
03-12-2007, 14:17
if there where any orbital observation. then why bother with looking for track prints??

why not using thermal camera,s/infrared camera,s/x ray camera,s??
why not blasting everything apart with lances?? and torpedo,s??:rolleyes::D

no camo is cool but its useless in the far future. i like camo a lot but i will not use is because everyone already has.

so my baneblade regiment is going to be black, with boltgun metall drybrush maybe some details in other colors. but i like the thought of a huge dark impressing armoured supreme regiment thundering along the plains, cannons/guns blazing.

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evilgrin::D

Reaver83
03-12-2007, 14:57
For some reason i'm also thinking of having it so my baneblade has a massive bullsye when looking directly ontop of it now that someones reminded me of thermal cameras etc

Brother Axel
03-12-2007, 15:19
Hi

1. won't comment on the sponser idea as I'm not too familiar with the sprues

2. Cammo . . . I'd go with what looks cool. Personally probably something like the jagged pattern used on the old battleships/dreadnaughts of the WWI Jutland era. As for the relevance of camo in 40k . . . well I'm not sure how well thermal imaging will work with all those lasers/plasma guns/meltaguns etc. let alone what-ever counter measures are deployed.

cheers
Brother Axel

Easy E
03-12-2007, 15:36
Don't get to hung up on the mechanics of building the sponsons the way I have envisioned. I'm scratchbuilding it so I can pretty much do what I want with it.

galahad67
03-12-2007, 16:59
My armour company is going to be dark grey. Camo isn't going to hide the big gun much. I think my opponents will notice them once they hit the table. No amount of camo will help distract them.

I think the best camo for a blade is a titan.

srg.cutter
03-12-2007, 17:04
yes put camo on it because 1.it looks cool 2. it will tie in with your army. and 3. IT LOOKS COOL.
also why not put camo on titans (despite the fact that its useless) i think a titan in uniform colours would realy sute the IG look

DeadMilkman
03-12-2007, 17:24
Camo is far from useless. Visual identification is still the primary way for infantry or vehicles to target something, and if you aren't sure what you're looking at, you might not waste the ammo. Perfect for the tank waiting in ambush, which is where camo comes into play anyway. A moving vehicle is noticeable, no matter what color it is painted.

Sponsons techically have about a 200 degree arc of fire anyway, so it doesn't matter which direction they are facing.

Visionary
03-12-2007, 17:30
I would imagine they have camo to blend in with the rest of the army, after all if everything is in snow coloured camo and suddenly there's a bright pink baneblade with a sign with dazzling lights saying 'Shoot me I'm full of candy' what would you shoot, the army or the pinyata on tracks?

Sholto
03-12-2007, 17:41
and suddenly there's a bright pink baneblade I guess even Slaaneshi vehicles are in camo - you just have to remember where they've come from - a hot, pink daemon world with neon skies and tartan seas :)

Sholto

Visionary
03-12-2007, 17:52
I guess even Slaaneshi vehicles are in camo - you just have to remember where they've come from - a hot, pink daemon world with neon skies and tartan seas :)

Sholto

Ah but you see those baneblades are 'Pimped Up' with neon to guide them over rough terrain and hydrolics to jump over incomming bullets...

Mr Feral
03-12-2007, 17:57
ie camo on a titan

I could imagine the enemy mass-freaking out when the Titan moves and reveals itself :p

Damocles8
03-12-2007, 18:09
1. as the baneblades sponsons are limited (yes we did use actual line of sight and actual firing arcs every time I used the Baneblade) I do think that is a smart move on your part.

2. Camo on a Baneblade is definately a smart idea, sure orbital cameras and grunts on the ground will hear it and even see it, but people forget that aircraft don't see camoflagued vehicles easily, so fluff wise I would use camo instead of some boring grey....fit it in with the color of your other vehicles....

Sureshot05
03-12-2007, 18:15
1. Given each baneblade is so precious and dependent on the forgeworld of origin, there should be no reason not to do this. Can't help but think it would look a little odd, (and be the cruelest warning sign for the baneblade is reversing!) but I'm sure you'll make good.

2. Of course camo is fine, its designed to hide it from orbital strikes and high flying bombers.

Marneus Calgar
03-12-2007, 18:16
Does the Baneblade box give you enough sprues to build two sponson weapons on each side of the Baneblade? Or do they give you enough to build one on each side?

Easy E
03-12-2007, 18:26
Only one on each side I believe.

Visionary
03-12-2007, 18:29
Just buy two kits if it doesn't ;)

L192837465
03-12-2007, 18:43
buying 2 kits is actually very smart. 1 baneblade can have 2 sponsons, the other can have 14 side armour. go team baneblade!

Godgolden
03-12-2007, 20:09
almost as if they thought of it in the rules!

Vaktathi
03-12-2007, 20:42

Thanks.

1: No, there are no modeling issues as GW has not presented a clear model on how this works, therefore whatever you want goes.

2: of course you can do Camo! most of the baneblades pictured in the Imperial Armor books are done in camo schemes, just the display models are not.

Grimtuff
03-12-2007, 20:47
Here's a Hellhammer i'm working on with that exact Sponson setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Grimtuff/100_0396.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Grimtuff/100_0397.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/Grimtuff/100_0398.jpg

Though what i'm going to do is plasticard over the gaps to make it look like 1 "mega sponson".

Visionary
03-12-2007, 20:55
In my opinion two seperate ones look better, because my opinion matters ;)

Easy E
08-12-2007, 19:39
Another BaneBlade question. Are they organized into their own comapnies within an armored regiment, or do they simply have their own regiments?

aad
08-12-2007, 20:13
3 blades is a company
9 blades is 3 company,s (duh :D )
10 blades (inlcuding a command tank) is divided in 3 company,s and the beforementioned command tank makes a regiment.:)

a ''superheavy regiment''

source: the latest white dwarf.

me needs 2 more.

Core_Commander
08-12-2007, 21:38
Here's a Hellhammer i'm working on with that exact Sponson setup.

Though what i'm going to do is plasticard over the gaps to make it look like 1 "mega sponson".

Almost ready to unleash twenty-five barrels of HELL, I take it ;)?

I agree with Visionary that double sponsons probably look better than single bulky ones, that's a pretty sweet machine you've got there.

adreal
08-12-2007, 23:37
3 blades is a company
9 blades is 3 company,s (duh :D )
10 blades (inlcuding a command tank) is divided in 3 company,s and the beforementioned command tank makes a regiment.:)

a ''superheavy regiment''

source: the latest white dwarf.

me needs 2 more.

I seriously hope alot of your's are scratchbuilt.......unless your talking about the first company, cause if you have a super heavy regiment.........dam

aad
09-12-2007, 13:18
-1 normal blade
-1 blade with hellhammer cannon
-1 blade with inferno cannon
-1 blade with twin turbolasers
-1 blade with siegecannon
-1 blade with volcano cannon
-1 blade with plasma blastgun
-and one ******* huge command blade.(in progress)
linky: http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/index.php?showtopic=9280&st=0

me needs 2 more normal blades and then i,am finished buying them.
well that finishing is a lot of work because the turbo,plasma,siege,volcano versions don,t have turrets but fixed positions, and that needs lots of plasticcard works.

but it leaves me with 4 turrets and lots of huge guns leftovers, that i can use for making 4 macharius tanks and maybe some fixed gun mounts as some sort of city defence.

i already got the idea of making a regiment months before the apocalypse release.
as soon as i knew the baneblade was coming, i was jumping for joy.:D

yes its gonna cost me 900 euro,s or something but then i have a regiment.:D

Cuthullu
10-12-2007, 07:12
Camo is the most essential way to defend yourself in war theaters using Guns.

It was, it is, it will be, even in far future.
Technically said, a camo pattern can be made from three basic intentions:

1. Environment Camo: trying to imitate the surrounding landscape

2. Shiloutte Camo: trying to conceal the typicall shiloutte of the camouflaged unit

3. a combination of those two above

Go out and try it: Buy a Camo Uniform of your countries army in the army or outdoor store, wear it, and go somewhere in the woods or grass. Lay down there and dont move. Then have a friend who only knows you are somewhere around searching you. It is most likely he will step on your back instead of seeing you. Now try this with your normal everyday cloth, he will find you quite fast.

Took a dark green car, drive behind a bush big enough, repeat seraching the car. Try this with a red or yellow car.

Even with the use of night vision and infrared systems, camo is the best way.
So even in the 41. Millenium, camo is the best way to stay alive.
This counts for infantry, tanks and warmachines. Thus warmachines are hard to hide at medium to close distances, just imagine long range scouting from flyers, goggles or artillery. And as a tank has nowadays an effective range of 4kms, i think it is enough when you do hard spotting it on 2km because he has camo pattern. If you cant see the enemy, you are dead, thats all about camo. Those having served in their countries armies know that.

aad
10-12-2007, 12:08
yep but a reaver a warlord or a imperator of 50 to 70 metres up would be seen
don,t worry about that. camo or no camo.

the only camo that you won,t see is invisibility. and even that spells trouble when their is a 10.000 ton titan walking towards you you will hear the
THUMBBB THUMBBB THUMBBB on the ground.
not that you can hit it though.

but camo is useless in 40k. i still think it is.:)

Cuthullu
10-12-2007, 12:22
Well i dont see so. A Tank in an emplacement, only the turret above the ground, is very hard to find for infrared targeting devices, radar or such. When this tank has camo, a camo netting on top it is also hard to find for the eye.
Not matter which Era of Warfare.

And firing a lasgun, a bolter or a shuriken gun, a missle launcher ......you need to see a target. Shooting this weapons is not different from shooting a modern assault gun. Target Acquiring with these Weapons is not different as it is now.

So better wear camo, or be a space marine.

Penguin of Death
10-12-2007, 13:29
Camo would still have it's uses in 40k, any less advanced race, (Orks, Kroot, etc) is ulikely to be using anything more advance than their eyes to spot the enemy, ditto for the majority of IG tech level troops. Nid probably use all kinds of exotic senses but camp would still help

DartzIRL
10-12-2007, 13:32
Be a hero...try a Dazzle pattern instead, like a WW1 troop ship

RexTalon
10-12-2007, 17:21
why not put camo on titans (despite the fact that its useless) i think a titan in uniform colours would realy sute the IG look

Because titans don't belong to the IG, they belong to the Adeptus Mechanicus.

RexTalon
10-12-2007, 17:26
Technically said, a camo pattern can be made from three basic intentions:

Camouflage has ONE intention. To break up the silhouette of what ever is wearing it.

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 17:42
Which is what he said. He just broke it down and it can be broken down even further (making parts of the camoflogue slightly more light reflective/sensitive to IR radiaton breaking the form to light amplifying-/IR-goggles etc. etc.).

The thing is though, that camofalge is very easy, fast and cheap to produce and there are numberless situations where it will come handy in any kind of combat so there really is no reason whatsoever not to have stuff in camoflague if there is a possibility of being shot at.

No reason other than being part of a pacifying force with the intention of making your presence seen (not very Warhammery...) OR being an Imperial fanatic in the 41st millenium with your soul bent on bringing terror to the enemies of the Emperor!

Bottom line, it's a model. It should be made to look as good as possible, camoflagued or not :)