PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 point Viking/Saxon army

Sideros Peltarion
03-12-2007, 15:18
Here is a list I have worked on for my Viking army. So before you go and tell me to, that means no cavalry! This list isn't supposed to be uber beardy by any means, its a themed list and would just like to know that it isn't jsut a guaranteed 100% defeat record. I have actually renamed the things in my proper list but I will use the normal army book names here.

Chaos Lord with Sword of Might and shield

Sorcerer level 2, power familiar

Sorcerer level 2, Skull fo Katam

14 Chosen Warriors with great weapons and full command
(Huscarls)

3x20 Marauders with light armour, shields adn full command
(normal guys aka Ceorls)

5 Screamers of Tzeentch
(Army of the Dead)

3 Minotaurs with 2 hand weapons
(Wulfen)

4 Bloodbeasts of Khorne.
(Berserkers)

What you think everyone?
Thanks.

Rattlehead
03-12-2007, 15:38
Hmm.. I don't know about you, But i don't recall hearing about demonic flying stingrays in nordic mythology? ;)

Sideros Peltarion
03-12-2007, 15:43
Hmm.. I don't know about you, But i don't recall hearing about demonic flying stingrays in nordic mythology? ;)

Indeed you don't. That is why I am using them as the army of the dead, the oskorei, Wild Hunt or Einherjar or whatever you want to call them. I needed to make up for my lack of cavalry and initially thought Valkyries, but due to modelling difficulties settled for the army of the dead.

brambleten
03-12-2007, 16:35
looks like a solid list, and a good theme as well

Sideros Peltarion
03-12-2007, 16:43
looks like a solid list, and a good theme as well

Thanks. So you think that the Spawn and Screamers are a good substitute for my lack of cavalry then?

BattleofLund
04-12-2007, 01:52
You have:
a) actual magic
b) 'spirit' troops
and
c) 'werewolves'
as well as
d) 'berserkers'

Why not include skirmishers and light cavalry? Vikings most certainly were opportunists, and would 'liberate' horses. Younger, less prosperous Vikings would lack body armour and experience, and could acceptably be represented by an undisciplined Gor('drill sergeants')/Ungor Beast Herd.

Since your magic items hardly can be solidly based in actual history, may I suggest that you scrap the Familiar and Skull? I have used them, and they are not all that. Power Stones and Dispel Scrolls are way better.

Infantry: Chosen Warriors are expensive. Decrease their number to ten, if at all. Personally, I think the bodyguard could be represented by well-equipped Marauders (armour, shield, great weapons).
Marauders need outnumbering. Increase their number to twenty-five per.

Characters: add a BSB. Good for an infantry force that will probably be quite concentrated on the battlefield.

Total: nice theme, I would go for it.

Sideros Peltarion
04-12-2007, 12:47
You have:
a) actual magic
b) 'spirit' troops
and
c) 'werewolves'
as well as
d) 'berserkers'

Why not include skirmishers and light cavalry? Vikings most certainly were opportunists, and would 'liberate' horses. Younger, less prosperous Vikings would lack body armour and experience, and could acceptably be represented by an undisciplined Gor('drill sergeants')/Ungor Beast Herd.

Since your magic items hardly can be solidly based in actual history, may I suggest that you scrap the Familiar and Skull? I have used them, and they are not all that. Power Stones and Dispel Scrolls are way better.

Infantry: Chosen Warriors are expensive. Decrease their number to ten, if at all. Personally, I think the bodyguard could be represented by well-equipped Marauders (armour, shield, great weapons).
Marauders need outnumbering. Increase their number to twenty-five per.

Characters: add a BSB. Good for an infantry force that will probably be quite concentrated on the battlefield.

Total: nice theme, I would go for it.

Thanks for the advice.
Well with regards to the cavalry, I am theming it around a raiding/invasion force landing by boat so they would have trouble with horses, and combined with their preference for shieldwalls left them out. I am not saying I will never use them, and might add one or two units for certain games.
As for skirmishers, your idea for Gors could be good, but my army is more of a household force, so again I may include some in future, but for now I will leave them out.
As for magical items, remember this is Warhammer! If runes on Dwarf items have magical effects then why can't they on Vikings who also engraved runes on things?

I think I shall indeed increase unit size on the Marauders and add the Battle Standard Bearer, as you suggest as you have a good point there. I think I will keep the bodyguard at 14ish but reduce them to normal Warriors as that will probably be a good enough difference from the normal guys and I really like big axes. It all depends on how the points work out as to how many I will have.

Would you say the Banner of the Gods is worth getting? I know its useful, but is it worth its cost? I've never used it before.
Thanks for your help

*Here is an updated list
Chaos Lord with shield

Aspiring Champ with standard

Sorcerer level 2 with dispel scroll

Sorcerer level 2

10 Warriors with great weapons, shields and full command
(Huscarls)

3x26 Marauders with light armour, shields adn full command
(normal guys aka Ceorls)

5 Screamers of Tzeentch
(Army of the Dead)

3 Minotaurs with 2 hand weapons
(Wulfen)

4 Bloodbeasts of Khorne.
(Berserkers)

Leogun_91
04-12-2007, 16:00
A lord on chaos dragon representing Nidhugg would be nice since the army of the dead has joined forces with them. (but he would probobly be to coasty)

Sideros Peltarion
04-12-2007, 17:31
For a 2,000 point army yes. lol
A lot of the ideas for units that ahve been raised will probably added when the army expands but at the moment I am only finishing it off to 2,000

BattleofLund
07-12-2007, 02:55
As for magical items, remember this is Warhammer! If runes on Dwarf items have magical effects then why can't they on Vikings who also engraved runes on things?

Would you say the Banner of the Gods is worth getting? I know its useful, but is it worth its cost? I've never used it before.

My opinion on your magic items (and indeed, your whole army) may have come across a bit ... warbly. I'm all for magic items, and certainly don't have a problem with Viking-style Marauders having them - it's just that those two Arcane Items look better on paper than they perform on the table-top, in my experience.

The Banner of the Gods has one enormous advantage, aside from game effects: if you don't like it, just cross it out of your army line-up. :)
Aside from that, the BotG is really annoying for your opponent, who tries to break seven-point Marauders with his hammer units.

Once you have held the enemy charge though, you need to actually win those ongoing combats, and convincingly so. For that, your Huscarls, Wulfen and Berserkers should be enough.

The problem with your list is it's speed. Against a gunline, or tactical-to-gunline army, you will get shot up before you reach their lines. Two fast units and two magicians is slightly on the deficient side to combat the various fast, shooty and plain pain-in-the-behind units many armies load up on.

Don't let this deter you, though. Some of my most enjoyable games have been played with non-optimized armies. If you feel that this Viking/Saxon army is your vision, play it! And then change it or not, depending on what you've learned.

Good luck. /Battle

Sideros Peltarion
07-12-2007, 12:07
Thanks, I see what you were saying now.
I think I will play a few games with the updated list above, and then depending on how they go maybe add the BotG, and possibly one or two of the other units suggested on here.

Bunny Lord
08-12-2007, 01:07
Drop your lord to an exhaulted champ. And drop a unit of maurauders to get 5 chosen knights in and possibly a spawn,then it will be more competitive.

chaos-nightwing
08-12-2007, 09:06
this list is indead a quite solid list. with enough infantries and also magic and flyers to help.
I do agree on that adding cavalry sould be helpful such as mabe 5 chaos knights FC.
I would drop the chaos warrior for something else since they tend to be a bit slow.
I would recomand for some mark of chaos and one chariot to use as a high toughness and armour save suppoty thing.

See how u go!

Sideros Peltarion
08-12-2007, 09:44
Drop your lord to an exhaulted champ. And drop a unit of maurauders to get 5 chosen knights in and possibly a spawn,then it will be more competitive.
Do you find Lords a waste of points then? When I used one in the past with normal Chaos he used to do quite well.
I won't however put in a unit of chosen knights as that doesn't fit the theme of the army, that of a Viking raiding/invasion force landing by boat.
And as for the Spawn, I already have 4.

this list is indead a quite solid list. with enough infantries and also magic and flyers to help.
I do agree on that adding cavalry sould be helpful such as mabe 5 chaos knights FC.
I would drop the chaos warrior for something else since they tend to be a bit slow.
I would recomand for some mark of chaos and one chariot to use as a high toughness and armour save suppoty thing.

See how u go!
I know Warriors aren't all that fast or anything, I am just using them to keep the theme of the army as they are the Huscarls. Unfortunately chariots don't fit on boats! lol:D

BattleofLund
08-12-2007, 20:36
For infantry, odds are that your Lord's high Leadership will benefit a greater proportion of your force (since unlike cavalry, infantry don't charge away far when opportunity arises). Also he's on foot, and needs the added survivability of +1T & +1W. I say keep the Lord. Fit's your theme too; he's the boss king, nobody his superior.

CHOOBER SNIPES
09-12-2007, 02:17
a couple things to say. first, great theme, and if u like it, definitely go for it, its not lik its going to die almost every game, its definitely playable. secondly, if u want to justify cavalry in ur army later, u can certainly take some. if u look later in Viking history, after they landed, they established many communities in Denmark and thereabouts. this meant they had easy access to horses, and so raiding cavalry emerged (marauder cav). then denmark, as all of western europe did at that time, began the use of heavy cavalry, easily represented with chaos knights. however if u mean force arriving by boat as literally showing up at the battle in a boat, hopping out, and slaughtering peasantfolk and doing generic raider things then i completely understand... unless of course u could coordinate a cavalry force from a land based force to simultaneously sweep in from the flank while your recently arrived marines pressure the enemy's center....

Sideros Peltarion
09-12-2007, 02:49
For infantry, odds are that your Lord's high Leadership will benefit a greater proportion of your force (since unlike cavalry, infantry don't charge away far when opportunity arises). Also he's on foot, and needs the added survivability of +1T & +1W. I say keep the Lord. Fit's your theme too; he's the boss king, nobody his superior.
OK I will keep him then. I haven't given him loads of stuff either so he's not a big points sink either.

a couple things to say. first, great theme, and if u like it, definitely go for it, its not lik its going to die almost every game, its definitely playable. secondly, if u want to justify cavalry in ur army later, u can certainly take some. if u look later in Viking history, after they landed, they established many communities in Denmark and thereabouts. this meant they had easy access to horses, and so raiding cavalry emerged (marauder cav). then denmark, as all of western europe did at that time, began the use of heavy cavalry, easily represented with chaos knights. however if u mean force arriving by boat as literally showing up at the battle in a boat, hopping out, and slaughtering peasantfolk and doing generic raider things then i completely understand... unless of course u could coordinate a cavalry force from a land based force to simultaneously sweep in from the flank while your recently arrived marines pressure the enemy's center....
Oh yes of course I had forgotten about that, but yes at the moment it is based around a landing force from the early to mid period, hence no heavy cavalry, but thanks for reminding me about it.