PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Starting OGRES!

Voodoo Boyz
03-12-2007, 17:52
So I think I'm going to start the Fat Men. Here's a 2k List I plan to build and have painted in a weekend:

Characters
Tyrant - 306
Longstrider
Tenderizer
Heavy Armor
Wyrdstone Necklace
Lucky Noblar

Butcher - 180
Bangstick, Dispell Scroll

Butcher - 155
Dispell Scroll

Core
3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Bulls - 115
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

3 Iron Guts - 154
Bellower

Special
2 Leadbelchers - 120
Bellower

2 Leadbelchers - 120
Bellower

Rare
Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

Now an alternate list is to drop a gorger and one unit of Bulls and throw in a third Butcher and a unit of 20 Noblars.

What do you guys think? Find a way to get the third butcher in there and the two Gorgers? I could probably drop down to 1 unit of bulls and then get the three butchers and 2 Gorgers, but then I feel as if the number of units I've got isn't quite enough. What do you guys think?

Malorian
03-12-2007, 21:06
For just starting you have a great MSU list : ) You'll have to get some games in before you decide what you like, but this is a perfect list to begin with.

Bluepothos
03-12-2007, 21:12
I agree, good list. I find that Bulls are next to useless at anything other than baiting or flank charges so perhaps drop 3 of those. Gorgers work best in twos so dropping one might not be the best idea, whenever I have gone with one it ends up swamped by some cheap unit and either dies or does nothing. Definitely consider those Gnoblars you were talking about, every game I've played they have been useful, mainly because they make back twice their cost by claiming table quarters at the end :)

Khorghan
03-12-2007, 21:16
In one weekend? how do you plan on doing that?

good list btw

Voodoo Boyz
03-12-2007, 22:16
Heh, by weekend I mean Friday, Saturday, and then Sunday. Probably part of Thursday night to build the thing, but I figure it's very doable.

Buy two battalions, two gorgers, and a Tyrant, and then build the army, converting the three butchers from extra Bulls and green stuff. ;)

Day 1: Morning Prime/Spray
Day 1: Evening start getting basic colors on there
Day 2: Dip the army
Day 3: Spray Matte Finish on army

:D

But that's for the project log thread I'm going to do for the army, not the list forum.

I've got a revised list for 2k points, it has 1 unit of Bulls in it, but it has 20 Noblars too.

The thing I'm debating on is the Butcher loadouts, with three of them I'm tempted to have either:

Skullmantle + Siegebreaker
Bangstick + Dispell Scroll
Dispell Scroll

OR

Dispell Scroll
Dispell Scroll
Bangstick + Dispell Scroll

I can't fit all the combos that give me all the cool bits in them and still take the Noblars, unless I drop a Bellower somewhere (maybe on the Bulls?).

Just how critical are Three butchers? Do I really want 3x Scrolls to protect me till about turn 3 when I can get into combat? I'm coming from playing Dwarfs, so I am pretty bad in general about Magic stuff. I mean, I'm giving up an extra unit of Bulls to get this guy + Noblars in the army, is it worth it?

Dark_Mage99
03-12-2007, 23:38
I would hazard a guess that you've been to the Ogre Stronghold? It looks like an effective list... I liked the dual Leadbelchers when I played Ogre Kingdoms.

I would recommend a setup revolving around the Skullmantle on one of the Butchers; it makes Braingobbler so, so good. Siegebreaker can be a huge surprise on a Butcher, and is always a tempting choice, but I think the two best items by far are Skullmantle and the Bangstick.

It might well be worth trying to get some Gnoblars in there - perhaps skirmishers. Maybe drop a unit of Bulls to get them, because they don't compare to Iron Guts and you've already got plenty to act as sceens or what have you.

Have you had chance to try Yhetees yet?

It might be worth toying with the Tenderizer on the Tyrant. Often, a great weapon is just as effective.

Voodoo Boyz
04-12-2007, 00:08
I would hazard a guess that you've been to the Ogre Stronghold? It looks like an effective list... I liked the dual Leadbelchers when I played Ogre Kingdoms.

I would recommend a setup revolving around the Skullmantle on one of the Butchers; it makes Braingobbler so, so good. Siegebreaker can be a huge surprise on a Butcher, and is always a tempting choice, but I think the two best items by far are Skullmantle and the Bangstick.

It might well be worth trying to get some Gnoblars in there - perhaps skirmishers. Maybe drop a unit of Bulls to get them, because they don't compare to Iron Guts and you've already got plenty to act as sceens or what have you.

Have you had chance to try Yhetees yet?

It might be worth toying with the Tenderizer on the Tyrant. Often, a great weapon is just as effective.

Ah! That's why the Skullmantle is lauded so much. I missed the spell for the panic test, awesome! This is why I'm posting the list and asking such questions.

Having the Siegebreaker on the Butcher sounds pretty nice, but I'm running out of points and based on what you just told me about the combo, I'd probably rather have the Skullmantle. Hrmm, skullmantle butcher, well that settles how I'm going to do one conversion from a Bull! :evilgrin:

I've not yet played with Ogres yet, I've played against them a few times, a long while ago, but I've yet to play as them yet. I like to make my lists first and then buy my models roughly based on that in one shot when I'm starting an army.

I've perused the Ogre Stronghold, but not registered or spent too much time. I just went there to see if the same items I picked out for the characters were being used by others. Most of the stuff you kind of pick up after playing the Ogres a few times and then reading their rules. I knew they were a MSU combat army which is what attracted me to them, well that and the fact that they run at you real fast; which is appealing when you've spent time trying to do "combat dwarfs" and just want more speed. :skull:

fubukii
04-12-2007, 02:45
hmm looks like a solid list is suggest some gnoblars scouts and 2 units of 20 gnobs to hold corners.

Dark_Mage99
04-12-2007, 12:24
Ah! That's why the Skullmantle is lauded so much. I missed the spell for the panic test, awesome! This is why I'm posting the list and asking such questions.

Having the Siegebreaker on the Butcher sounds pretty nice, but I'm running out of points and based on what you just told me about the combo, I'd probably rather have the Skullmantle. Hrmm, skullmantle butcher, well that settles how I'm going to do one conversion from a Bull! :evilgrin:

I've not yet played with Ogres yet, I've played against them a few times, a long while ago, but I've yet to play as them yet. I like to make my lists first and then buy my models roughly based on that in one shot when I'm starting an army.

I've perused the Ogre Stronghold, but not registered or spent too much time. I just went there to see if the same items I picked out for the characters were being used by others. Most of the stuff you kind of pick up after playing the Ogres a few times and then reading their rules. I knew they were a MSU combat army which is what attracted me to them, well that and the fact that they run at you real fast; which is appealing when you've spent time trying to do "combat dwarfs" and just want more speed. :skull:

I can imagine! :D

I just realised I worded something a bit badly up there - it looked like I was talking about a Skullmantle/Bangstick combo - but that's an illegal set of items.

Usually, a Skullmantle/Dispel Scroll and a Bangstick/Dispel Scroll is very effective.

MacVurrich
04-12-2007, 12:43
I find Five bulls work well rather than the usual 3 that most seem to do
that's 6 wounds before any ld test
and don't forget the gnoblars if nothing else than for the scrap launchers which most opponets under rate until you charge them or drop a blast template with killing blow on their heads

last game first shoot made a whole flank of goblins disapear via fleeing of the table

60 goblins gone in one go :)

Kadrium
04-12-2007, 16:52
Keep your ogres in units of 3.

Overall this is a good list.

I would suggest finding room for a 3rd butcher and gnoblar trappers, if you make any changes.

For butchers take:
1st - Bangstick + Scroll
2nd - Skullmantle + Scroll
3rd - Scroll + Scroll/halfling cookbook. If you take a siegebreaker give the 3rd butcher 2 scrolls and put the siegebreaker on the skullmantle butcher.

The longstrider on your tyrant is questionably useful. Generally you want to keep your characters in units to protect them from shooting, magic, and warmachines. If your tyrant is accompanying a unit of bulls or ironguts, the longstrider points are a waste.

Dark_Mage99
04-12-2007, 23:53
On the other hand, if you like the idea of Longstrider and either want to have the Tyrant on his own, or shoot out of the unit he is with, it is worth looking at Bullgut (If I remember the name correctly). It makes him Unit Strength 6 on the charge, allowing him to nullify ranks... and since he should normally get the charge, can be a nice combo. Since you don't have any Yhetees, it could be worth using the Greyback Pelt as well.... that'll surprise opponents, having a speedy Tyrant capable of moving through woods without penalty.

Malorian
05-12-2007, 01:52
But if you do that then your general is leaving the bulk of your army.

I think the longstrider idea is neat, but I wouldn't go as far as sending him off trying to hit the flank unless you are playing a bigger game and have something else that is your general.

Kadrium
05-12-2007, 15:50
But if you do that then your general is leaving the bulk of your army.

I think the longstrider idea is neat, but I wouldn't go as far as sending him off trying to hit the flank unless you are playing a bigger game and have something else that is your general.

Nothing else can be the general if you have a Tyrant.

You can only have 1 Tyrant per army. Slaughtermasters and Hunters can't be generals.

Malorian
05-12-2007, 20:59
Kadrium: You can take a special character. I have a tyrant but Skrag is always the general.