PDA

View Full Version : O&G, suggestions needed as to what to pick up next

IAmJustMe
03-12-2007, 20:14
After contemplating starting up WFB again for the last year I decided to go ahead and pick a fun, characterful army. Orcs & Goblins seems to fit the bill even if they're not considered an uber-powerful army of death, so I've picked up a bit through trades and purchases.

What I have:

1 Orc Shaman
24+ Arrer Boyz
19 Boyz w. 2 hand weapons (6th ed box guys)
20 Black Orcs
1 Orc Chariot
1 Spear Chukka
3 Trolls
40 Night Goblins w/ spears
20 Night Goblins w/ bows
10 Spider Riders
NG Boss & Shaman

Plus enough Confrontation Goblins to proxy a unit of Common Goblins and 1-3 Ogre Maneaters in needed.

I don't have the army book yet so I'm not looking into any detailed army construction. ATM I'm just looking for suggestions as to what would go well with what I've got, whether to add to units I already have or to provide some much needed support. For now I'm looking to spend up to the amount of a standard regiment box, aside from the army book.

Makarion
03-12-2007, 20:59
I'd say you're due some goblin wolf riders (say, a unit of 10) and a few bolt throwers. A Black Orc warboss would also be a good idea.

IAmJustMe
03-12-2007, 21:15
Yah I was thinking of a Black Orc BSB with the BfSP Dwarf prisoner hanging upside-down from the banner.;)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
03-12-2007, 21:49
OR you can buy this awesome old Black Orcs standard top from GeeDub for cheap:

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=9947020914901&orignav=9

Black Orc Big/War Boss is definitely a must. And boyz! You should field 25+ units of orc boyz. Numbers are your friends. And Squig Hoppers. They eat up units like you wouldn't believe, and because they move 3D6 they will be in your opponent's back yard before he knows it! Just make sure they're 5 or bigger so they can get flank and rear bonuses, and break enemy units in close combat. I mostly find bolt throwers to be a waste unless your enemy is coming at you really quickly. Unless they're less than 24" away, you'll be needing 5+ to hit and the numbers can just escape you the whole game. Doom Divers are awesome for being able to adjust where they land, Rock Lobbers have a nice template to cover a bumch of suckers, but Orc and Goblin artillery is mostly about lucky shots and keeping your opponent on his toes. Your army is all about big groups of boyz smashing their way through the competition. And a couple of Night Goblin units, with or without Fanatics so your opponent is never sure to be wary of them or not. Good luck to you! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

Braad
04-12-2007, 07:46
I would add common goblins.
Not because they are good (simply said, they're not) but because I think they belong there.

But if you want' to go for good, add more boyz. Two units of 25 is a good start.

Chiungalla
04-12-2007, 10:53
You need:
- a second spear chukka
- one to two goblin chariots
- one to two orc heroes
- one giant
- maybe some squigg hoppaz

The rest depends on your army, but I like those Savage Orc Boar Boys...

forgottenlor
04-12-2007, 10:57
Take Squig Hoppaz. As someone who plays against orcs, I can truly say I hate/fear this unit this most. That they can move through terrain, hide and run into opponents they can't see is just terrifying. Besides with 2 strength 5 attacks at ws 4 for 15 points and immune to psychology, you can't really go wrong.

Urgat
04-12-2007, 15:52
I'd say you're due some goblin wolf riders (say, a unit of 10)

Two units of five, light version. I never go out w/o them, they're worth 10 times their points, they make me win battles, quite simply. 18" of movement, for march interdiction, warmachine hunting, heavy cavalry interdiction, etc etc= Priceless (with the big P).
Give them bows or spears, both work for me (I killed a lone chaos general with all his stupid saves and ward saves with their bows once, that was grand. It's not a one off either, maybe it's always 5+ to hit, maybe it's only 5 arrows, but it's 5 arrows that can almost always pick their target anywhere on the battlefield).

crazywhiteboydance
04-12-2007, 16:12
Squig hoppers all the way, they're deadly!

BigbyWolf
04-12-2007, 16:40
Rocklobbers? No-one's mentioned Rocklobbers yet....without a doubt my favourite piece of legal artillery in the game (Earthshaker Cannon is easily tops...).
I'd also suggest Savage Orc Boarboys, top cavalry, specially with Noggs Baner Of Butchery.
Then theres pump wagons...with the introduction of ASF for elves they are incredibly usefull, just point them at your opponents White Lions of Chrace, sit back, and enjoy...
Corewise Sergeant Uriel Ventris is spot on...more boyz, point for point they're one of the best troops in the game- for 6 points you can get a T4, S4 in first turn of combat with a 4+ CC armour save...
To be honest, you should work out the kind of army you would most like to use, and build out from there. Once you get a good feeling about it, you're usually there.