PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Ogre Kingdoms army

Caligula
03-12-2007, 20:17
Hey all, once again I've decided to have a go at a different army. This time, OK have caught my fleeting attention, and I decided to make a 2000 point list that I hope will work. Please let me know what you think.

Tyrant-
Heavy Armour
The Tenderiser
Fistful of Laurels
Kineater

Butcher-
x2 Tooth-Gnoblars
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

Butcher-
Tooth-Gnoblar
Siegebreaker
Skullmantle

4 Bulls-
Hand Weapons and Ironfists
Bellower

4 Bulls-
Bellower

24 Gnoblar Fighters-
Groinbiter

3 Ironguts-
Bellower
Standard Bearer
Lookout-Gnoblar

4 Ironguts-
Gutlord
Bellower
Standard Bearer
War Banner

2 Leadbelchers-
Bellower

2 Leadbelchers-
Bellower

Gnoblar Scraplauncher

Gorger

TOTAL-1997pts.

Thoughts?

Makarion
03-12-2007, 20:41
Sounds like a very solid list to me. I'd be tempted to ditch the Scraplauncher in favour of more leadbelchers (or even another Gorger), but that's me. Somehow, the Scraplauncher never makes up it's points in any game I have played in, or have seen played. Even Yhethees have a better track record.

Note, that I don't play them myself, but I have played against OK a lot.

Malorian
03-12-2007, 23:07
I don't like magic weapons on butchers, I don't like iron fists, I don't like units of 4, and I don't like commands in all units.

But then again this is your list and if it works for you it doesn't matter what i do or don't like.

Kadrium
04-12-2007, 18:07
Tyrant-
Heavy Armour
The Tenderiser
Fistful of Laurels
Kineater

Kineater and Laurels both are somewhat overkill. You can afford to drop one or the other. A wyrdstone necklace and luck gnoblar would not be unwelcome here.

Butcher-
x2 Tooth-Gnoblars
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

Butcher-
Tooth-Gnoblar
Siegebreaker
Skullmantle

Tooth Gnoblars are pretty much useless. A 1 or 2 always fails to cast, and a 3+ cast the spell. They can never help you cast a spell you would have otherwise failed. Save the points for elsewhere.

I don't particularly care for the siegebreaker on a butcher, and I'd rather have another dispel scroll. Especially with only 2 butchers, you can use the magic defense. I'd look to pick up a 3rd butcher at 2k, and then the siegebreaker becomes an option again.

4 Bulls-
Bellower

4 Bulls-
Bellower

Make these units of 3 instead of units of 4. Either way when one dies, you're going to take a panic check, so don't put more ogres at risk from panic than you must.

Bulls are best as charge bait and flankers. Use them to side charge and remove rank bonus in support of your ironguts, and to bait charges from faster enemy units. Because of their support/expendability role, it's best to keep the units cheap. Just bellowers for upgrades.

Ironfists by themselves are a big point waste. 90% of the time you'll find yourself using the ironfist as an extra hand weapon, so you might as well just buy extra hand weapons, or nothing. A 6+ armor save is either very easily negated by str 4+/Armor piercing attacks, and very rarely rolled when it's not negated.

If you drop those 8 ironfists, you've saved 40 points. Thats enough to buy a 9th bull and have 3 units of 3 instead of 2 units of 4.

24 Gnoblar Fighters-
Groinbiter

Gnoblars are fodder. They're a speed bump, a stalling unit during deployment, and a holder of table quarters. Spend no points on upgrades, and just field 21 so that a 6th must die to force a panic check.

3 Ironguts-
Bellower
Standard Bearer
Lookout-Gnoblar

4 Ironguts-
Gutlord
Bellower
Standard Bearer
War Banner

Ironguts don't need bellowers. They should be charging into combats they can win - either with bulls as flank charging support or a charge that was set up for them by a baiting unit of bulls or leadbelchers. Flanking bulls can carry the bellowers and ironguts can carry the standards.

Don't take the gutlord. 20 points for 1 attack is silly. If you spend the points for 2 champs in an ogre list, you've spent 40 points to add 2 attacks to your army. For 5 less points you can buy a bull who has 3 attacks and 3 wounds.

2 Leadbelchers-
Bellower

2 Leadbelchers-
Bellower

Good units if you use them to properly charge bait.

Gnoblar Scraplauncher

I won't tell you to not take a scrappy, because I love them. You do need to free up points from somwhere though. Leading candidates right now are this unit, some bulls, or some leadbelchers.

Gorger

One gorger isn't as nice as 2. Take 2 or none.

Thoughts?

Overall you have a lot of points wasted in needless upgrades.

You're also short on irongut units. You should really have 3+ units of ironguts at 2k.

If you stick with 2 units of leadbelchers, you can drop a unit of bulls and get another butcher.

if you want to keep the bulls, drop a unit of leadbelchers.

Ideally, in an ogre army you should aim for a pretty 1:1'ish balance of Hammer:Support units. Right now you have 2 Hammer units in your ironguts, and 4 support units in your leadbelchers/bulls.

Try to rectify that balance by trimming some bulls/leadbelchers for more ironguts.

Kongen
24-12-2007, 13:50
The only thing you can use gnoblars for, is to take wounds from magic. To do this, one of your irongut units must take the magic standard "Rune Maw".

And as kadrium said, you need more ironguts. These guys are mean! Used correctly, they can wreck havoc on the battlefield. So get more ironguts, and less supporting units. :)

Good luck