PDA

View Full Version : What do you base with?

kishvier
03-12-2007, 22:22
What do you use most often?

The_Patriot
03-12-2007, 22:25
I use green stuff, basing sand, and static grass to make my standard bases. For more ornate bases I use bits of sprue, straws, etc...

Slaaneshi Slave
03-12-2007, 22:25
Resin bases from DaemonScape for my Sisters of Battle.

Brother Fenix
03-12-2007, 22:28
The top two, flock or fine grain basing sand. Pending if I want a green base or a brown one, I am not very creative with my bases. I think fine grain sand has a better appearance based upon the size of the miniature.

kishvier
03-12-2007, 22:28
I use medium grade sand for my CoD bases.

strangeasangels
03-12-2007, 22:29
Fine grade sand most often, then I add bits for flavor. I'm currently on an urben theme kick so lots of sprue bits and spare parts.

Slaaneshi Slave
03-12-2007, 22:31
For my Marines I used about 3 or 4 layers of medium sand and bits from my bits box. Provides a really thick and realistic look.

rintinglen
03-12-2007, 22:33
I use flock, bird gravel, static grass, ground walnut hulls, and sawdust colored by diluting acrylic paint and then allowing it to dry. But mostly flock. I bought a quart-sized jar of it from a model railroad store and it seems to go a long way.

PlasticFork
03-12-2007, 22:48
I'm using the 40K Basing Kit.. so fine slate gravel and Codex Grey.

I wish I'd gone for my old desert colour paint with sand on top theme.

I <3 W
03-12-2007, 22:53
plasterfiller, static grass, barbed wire, and other stuff (painted)

sigur
03-12-2007, 22:56
This belongs in M,P&T. Experience shows that you'll get more helpful replies there. You've been around on Warseer for a few months so you should know better.

Anyway, I never paid enough attention to bases; that's why my Cadians only have simlpe ashwastes/rubble bases with the odd dead grass in it, same for my SoB, my Catachans have goblin green bases with a few squads having static grass dropped on. The army I'm currently working on is Dark Elves who have rocks and snow bases with dead, long grass thrown in later.

Khorghan
03-12-2007, 22:57
slate, small rocks, putty, cork = the base of rock
gw snow flock=the snow on top
my own special mix of static grass to get a realitic color=few patches of grass sticking out of under the snow
bristles pulled out of brush + painted = tall grass

i use all these to make my base sort of a chaosy wastes kind of thing as i collect all kinds of chaos(fanstasy)

Sister_Sin
03-12-2007, 23:03
I had to go with Other due to the fact that I use several of the choices, often together, in all my projects. There really isn't one I use more than the others.

Necronlord3
03-12-2007, 23:05
I use a mix of flock and fine dunes national lake shore sand!

Chaplain Ark
03-12-2007, 23:09
mainly i use a type of basing that represents snow and some extra bits to represent rubble and ruins.

malisteen
03-12-2007, 23:18
Fine and medium sand, small pieces of slate, some resin bases purchased online, some GW 'razorwire', some resin basing pieces from the various GW basing kits that have been released over the last couple years, some pieces from the Cities of Death building sprues, some brass etching stuff, and a few bits of sprue or model for my cityfight bases.

My non-cityfight bases use most of the same stuff, but trade the bedium sand and bits of sprue or model for some static grass.

I have also done a few snowy mountain bases (for a Privateer Press starter box), which use fine and medium sand with a baking soda mixture for the snow, and some desert bases (for a BfM store demo box and another privateer press starter box), which used fine and medium sand with a couple small pieces of clump foliage.

Norsehawk
03-12-2007, 23:49
sand of various sizes, bits of stuff, basing kits, small stones, then I paint the sand to whatever color I want. I got a few bags of glass decorative chunks (tumbled so they won't cut ya) as rocks on my base, got them at the dollar store for a buck, and its got enough different sizes that I use them on a lot of bases.

RampagingRavener
03-12-2007, 23:51
Nothing; I don't base my models. I never managed to make a based model look good, while to me a plain black (or green) disk will show the model off better. Never had a single person complain either, and you don't have the oddity of city-based models being used on a grass board, or vice-versa.

swamp_slug
04-12-2007, 00:00
Usually I use the traditional mix of fine grade sand and static grass.
Currently I have been working on a winter/snow theme for my Tau and Eldar, as such I have been using a PVA/bicarbonate of soda mix to create snow.

He who is doom
04-12-2007, 00:15
i use a mix of sand and flock from the train store. it is mixed in with some baking soda thrown in.

the said thing is then painted

Khornies & milk
04-12-2007, 00:29
Normally just Codex Grey around the edge, and Sand, fine stone chips.
For my GKT's though I'm using the new resin Basing Kit, so they stand out.

Crazy Harborc
04-12-2007, 02:53
I am old, I am lazy, I use paint.....usually it's green paint, Testor's Forest Green. Years ago, I told myself and my usual opponents I would go back and flock.......I guess I am still waiting to start.:D

TheNZer
04-12-2007, 03:01
I think I use meduim grade sand( dose this count as gravel?)

HobbitTank
04-12-2007, 03:42
Sand-glue-water mixed into something pasty. Then spread over base with sprew-bitz attached for urban rubble, not painted for desert, haven't gotten beyond that.

dark-hamish
04-12-2007, 04:56
all of the above depending on the base and what I am going for.

folnjir
04-12-2007, 05:32
I use fine sand, I got it from the beach so it comes at a good price too (free). I usually add some static grass as well.

Seth the Dark
04-12-2007, 06:19
I tend to use mid grade sand with some medium rocks and large rocks but it does depend on my army.

Ward.
04-12-2007, 06:26
This little round piece of plastic, you usually get a few of them in the box.... :p

Mostly it's just sand, mixed with watered down pve glue to shape it.

For my special skaven miniature I used "miracle grow", it's a blueish square-rock fertilizer. Made the most sense considering what warpstone did to their race.

fwacho
04-12-2007, 08:23
I like painting my bases green after res tof painting is done then putting a layer of flock on it. this brings out the colors on my model (even greens due to composition of flock) and is simply applied with white glue then dunked in flock tub. sealed with a clear gloss coat it holds very well.

also, my gaming is medium green felt so it looks great on my usual surface.

cleansingfury
04-12-2007, 08:32
Well I paint mine white befor flocking. Then use a medium grade white sand on the base with a clumpy glue, creates nice snow drift effects.

Sephtar II
04-12-2007, 09:05
a mixture, Flock for Eldar and Kroot, GW sand for Space marines and SOB. GW sand painted grey for Vostoyans. Snow for nids.

bram kuijpers
04-12-2007, 09:12
i make my own stuff its a mix of much ''fine gravel'' (the white bird sand) and a bit of large gravel , mix it with wood gleu (the white stuff) around 40/60
add a bit of water to smooth it, and put it on the base, let it dry and after you painted it add some static grass or flock and for a urban effect just add some more large gravel to the mix and finish it of with ruble ( just cut the plastic frames and you ghot rubble)

hope it helps

Gen.Steiner
04-12-2007, 09:15
Flock. Static or basic, usually static now, I love the effect. I've started to use sand a lot tho', particularly on the Fallen Men and the Stormtrooper Assault Group; in the latter case in addition to flock.

You can get flock dirt cheap and in huge amounts from model shops - arses to GW's stuff.

[Glory] Wulf
04-12-2007, 10:30
I usually base with birdcage sand. I apply static grass to the finished model.
Lately I've been using resin pieces from the 40k basing kit, they look great.

GR_Zombie
04-12-2007, 11:21
Other, I use ground black pepper.

fengor
04-12-2007, 11:27
i never based so far

twj
04-12-2007, 12:19
I use flock in an attempt to make a nice green grassy effect for my CSM force. I always prefer a nice grass for my CSM as they are meant to be a raiding force and will often be attacking such quiet, innocent and defenceless places...

ankara halla
04-12-2007, 12:43
Sandbox sand and flock.

BFeeder
04-12-2007, 13:22
Depends on the army and system, I don't like basing 2 armies in a similar matter.

Currently its PVA and medium grade sand, brown static grass, snow flock and razorwire

mattjgilbert
04-12-2007, 13:29
Shame this isn't multi-choice :( I use a mixture of different things for different armies.

Tonberry
04-12-2007, 13:37
I use gw flock, then add patches of black flock-stuff I got from a model store years ago, creates a nice dead ground look.

THE CHIEF
04-12-2007, 13:42
All of the above, with a shed-load of 'other' thrown in for good measure ;)

Agrip. Varenus Denter
04-12-2007, 13:44
Flock, sand (usually medium), and more often than not bits from the bit box or small stones. It really all depends on what the model is... but they are all based.

BladeWalker
04-12-2007, 14:55
I use scrap material from the work that I do to base my guys and my terrain. We use polymerized concrete mixes in different colors to coat concrete, when we scrape down the coating before putting sealer on it we always generate a pile of scrap material. The colored concrete bits come out in a nice variety of sizes that simulate scale gravel nicely. I prime, drybrush, and flock after that. I hazard to guess my basing material is the most unique... :D

BLZBOB
04-12-2007, 15:07
Tend to base using a mix of the following, sand, flock, resin, slate and photetch plus scenic products. Basically whatever is required to give a nice finish although back in the day it used to be goblin green all over and a bit of flock glued on top.

Yuuya
04-12-2007, 15:19
most i use color flock.others for urban i use slate mix with fine sand.

soul destroyer
04-12-2007, 15:27
I use model railway scatter on most of my bases its a fine grey stone intended for ballasting tracks and looks quite good. Plus its half the price of GW stuff for twice as much.
For my more senior troops I also add some extra detail such as barb wire made from thin copper wire twisted then painted,small bushes (more railway gear) etc.

Logarithm Udgaur
04-12-2007, 15:35
For my standard bases I use fine sand, static grass, bricks made from fimo, assorted odds and ends, and a special blend of herbs and spices.

Codsticker
04-12-2007, 15:49
I use a combination of matierials: sand, shredded foam, static grass and small pebbles.

Cry of the Wind
05-12-2007, 00:56
Mostly medium sand for me. Soaks up inks well and then is easy to drybrush. Recently I've gone and bought material for doing slate with static grass and snow flock, hopefully I'll have an example ready in the near future.

templar1013
05-12-2007, 02:04
Kitty litter :D :p

I just paint it up and it looks fine!

Takitron
05-12-2007, 02:07
all of the above.

nargileh
05-12-2007, 09:37
I voted other for the reason that i combine medium grain sand, coarse sand, grass flock and about half the time i also use small pebbles to give the bases a varied texture.
My mehod in three steps:
1. I smear the base with glue in a random pattern leaving 20 to 80% of the base 'naked'. I dip it in the sand with a little pushing and then close the lid of my container and shake the base around in the sand, I then it leave to dry or add a pebble into the sand before leaving it to dry.
2. I smear the 'naked' parts of the base with glue, dip it in the grass flock. Then leave it to dry or add a pebble into the grass before leaving it to dry.
3. I paint the base green and drybrush the grass with the same green. Then i drybrush the base and grass with a little bit of a lighter shade of green. If I applied to much of the lighter shade I correct it with some green ink or wash, or I just go ahead and use some ink to give some additional texture to the grass.

Gen.Steiner
05-12-2007, 13:16
People put so much effort into their bases. I'm quite surprised actually - I thought more people would just be painting them green and sticking them into a tub of flock...!

THE CHIEF
05-12-2007, 13:26
People put so much effort into their bases. I'm quite surprised actually - I thought more people would just be painting them green and sticking them into a tub of flock...!

Back in the old days I used to just paint my bases snot green and then drybrush the rough textured top with sunburst yellow. I say drybrush - I hadn't really got the hang of that technique back then so it was more 'slightly dryer than usual' brushing! My basing details seem to be getting more and more intricate recently - but then I only really make elitist low model count armies. I wouldn't put so much effort into small bases, but Terminator size bases and upwards deserve a bit of love.

cazzz669
05-12-2007, 13:28
varies from base to abse with me, i tend to spend a lot of time on the bases so id say a mix of all three sands, resin, spare bits static grass, fake snow, and green stuff

Gen.Steiner
05-12-2007, 13:30
...Terminator size bases and upwards deserve a bit of love.

Yeh, that's true, but even so, mostly it's just a pebble or something that I'll put on it.

Crazy Harborc
05-12-2007, 21:24
Just sharing an idea.........Bits, left over arms, body parts, the odd weapon or armour part.......I am guessing many of us have plastic sprues and or pieces of sprues that contain the I better save these just in case leftovers from years of assemblies.

perionyx
05-12-2007, 22:06
Kitty Litter?? Awesome! I've been wondering if the clay-stuff will hold up and thought about posting a thread question.

Now it just might sit beside my fine sand and green flock tubs.

Thanks