PDA

View Full Version : can you always take allies codex allows?

magnificent*
14-04-2005, 20:28
I always hear the statement "allies not allowed in the tournament" but does that refer to people just mixing ultramarines and imperial guard because they feel like it, Or does refer to all allied units, even the ones allowed by legion of the damned?

HalberdBlue
14-04-2005, 20:34
It varies from tournament to tournament, you have to ask the organizers. I have been to tournaments where they meant allies in the sense that you can't ally Marines and Guard, and also in the sense that you can't have Grey Knights with Guard even though it is legal in a normal setting.

Kommissar Wulf
15-04-2005, 16:54
It generally means (at tournaments I've attended) that you could take inducted guardsmen or marines in an Inquistorial force, but you can't take Inquisitorial stuff in Impreial armies. It also stops Lost and the Damned from using Chaos Marine allies, which irritates me.

Scythe
15-04-2005, 17:13
Usually it aims at allies taken from the witchhunters and daemonhunters codexes, or other allies with specific rules for allying like kroot mercenaries or the previous mentioned lost and the damned with chaos space marine allies. Odd is tough that forces taken from codex witchunters or daemonhunters are usually allowed to take inducted guard or allied space marines...

twisted_mentat
15-04-2005, 22:55
In Second Ed, you could take allies per say, like there was achart in a WD that said who could ally with who....

Marines could ally with Guard and Eldar....chaos could ally with tyranids, Orks etc....though one could not take more thatn %25 of their army from allied lists.

It was sorta neat, being that you could have a marine army with a leman russ in it...

HalberdBlue
16-04-2005, 01:23
Ughhh, I hated the 2nd edition ally system. But I won't turn this into a "I hated X in 2nd edition rant."

But as you can see from the various responses, its best to just ask the tournament organizers.

Scythe
16-04-2005, 09:22
Yeah, that was the allies system that also excisted in 5th edition fantasy. Really broken stuff. And how do you justify chaos allying with tyranids (or any race with tyranids/necrons in the first place)?

It just screamed to be abused...

sulla
16-04-2005, 20:44
It generally means (at tournaments I've attended) that you could take inducted guardsmen or marines in an Inquistorial force, but you can't take Inquisitorial stuff in Impreial armies. It also stops Lost and the Damned from using Chaos Marine allies, which irritates me.

yet another reason to avoid tournaments if at all possible...

Kommissar Wulf
16-04-2005, 20:58
yet another reason to avoid tournaments if at all possible...

I've never minded them, the last Tournament I was at even changed the rulespack to let me use Chaos allies in a Lost and the Damned force. Pity I didn't get it done in time...

starlight
25-11-2005, 00:12
If you play in someone's house, you play with their rules, it's only commom courtesy.
Tournament organisers set the rules in their *house*.

Gaebriel
25-11-2005, 09:05
... Odd is tough that forces taken from codex witchunters or daemonhunters are usually allowed to take inducted guard or allied space marines...
On a note, inducted Guards and allied Space Marines in an Inquisition Codex are an integral parts of the lists. As are Kroot in a Tau list. Technically I think they don't fall under allies in the sense of using "cross-Codexing" or Chapter Approved units.

I think everything in one list (not necessarily in one Codex, with a look towards Chaos Space Marines), is generally allowed.

As by hard rules mixing units from different lists without specific ally rules is only possible by taking multiple detachements, and most tournaments make use of only one Force organization card.

boogle
25-11-2005, 13:39
the only Ally thing that bugs me is not being able to take LATD units in a CSM army (i know you can sort of do it, but in reverse, but it would make more sense to have Mutants and suchlike attached to CSM armies (with the same 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 FA)

Scythe
25-11-2005, 17:04
On a note, inducted Guards and allied Space Marines in an Inquisition Codex are an integral parts of the lists. As are Kroot in a Tau list. Technically I think they don't fall under allies in the sense of using "cross-Codexing" or Chapter Approved units.

I know that, but you could make the same argument for CSM and daemons in LotD armies.