PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Battleforce Contents?

cleansingfury
04-12-2007, 07:37
Inside of the battleforce for tyranids there are:
8 gaunts
8 hormagaunts
8 genestealers
3 warriors
1 carnifex

Now, there is no ripper bases on the list.
The gaunt box and warrior box both come with a ripper base. On the gaunt box the rippers are not on an additional sprue but there is one ripper on pretty much each sprue. I am not sure about the warriors.

Now since the 2 ripper bases are not listed on the battleforce, does that mean they put a different sprue into the battleforce so as not to include the rippers or what?

Any help is great!

Thanks
Dustin

devolutionary
04-12-2007, 07:39
Nope, the rippers are there, as is a base for them. There's only one base afaik, however (1 per 4 Gaunts, 1 per 4 Genestealers, 1 per 3 Warriors, total 7 rippers from memory).

Bregalad
04-12-2007, 08:09
Second that, rippers on the sprues, extra round basic base in the box.

Acutus The Unforgiven
04-12-2007, 09:57
I am sure the extra rippers are for the carnefex adn warriors. So you can make them scuttlers. But i might be wrong.......

Adiem
04-12-2007, 10:33
What's a bit weird, though, is that in an old GW catalogue that I came across (possibly the first after the tyranid 4th edition release), the picture of the battleforce included a ripper base, whereas the one on the website doesn't.. You can even see the space in the website picture where it's been removed. Why'd they take it out the picture, that's what I want to know - especially since it's still included!

The Laughing God
04-12-2007, 10:40
You get around 12 Rippers all together. so if you can make 4 bases of 3 rippers. I'v bought 3 battleforces in the last 3 months, and I always got 4 bases. But other people like to put more than just 3 rippers.

Egaeus
04-12-2007, 15:11
What's a bit weird, though, is that in an old GW catalogue that I came across (possibly the first after the tyranid 4th edition release), the picture of the battleforce included a ripper base, whereas the one on the website doesn't.. You can even see the space in the website picture where it's been removed. Why'd they take it out the picture, that's what I want to know - especially since it's still included!

My best guess here would simply be that a single Ripper base isn't a fieldable unit on its own, so they don't want to give them impression that it is.

IIRC the old battleforce included 1 "box" of Warriors, 2 "equivalent boxes" of Gaunts, and 'Stealers, and thus had enough parts to create 3 ripper swarms (one from the Warriors, two from the Gaunts) which is the minimum required to field them.

Bregalad
04-12-2007, 15:12
I am sure the extra rippers are for the carnefex adn warriors. So you can make them scuttlers. But i might be wrong.......
Carnifex and Warriors can't become scuttlers.

Egaeus
04-12-2007, 15:15

But both can have Symbiote Rippers which is what I assume Acutus actually meant. ;)

Zorz Muaddieb
04-12-2007, 15:42

Hehe I can only imagine the need for giving your opponent diapers if they did deploy like scouts. It is scary enough when you give the Warriors wings and deep strike in the fex-o-pods.

On topic:

As far as I have seen all my new and old battleforces for nids and necrons came with their appropriate swarm and base for them.

-Z

Ordo Ouroboros
04-12-2007, 15:51
I always found the Nid Battleforce to be the most adaptable of the sets

Acutus The Unforgiven
05-12-2007, 14:39
But both can have Symbiote Rippers which is what I assume Acutus actually meant. ;)

I di dthank you for sticking up for us. :)

Acutus The Unforgiven
05-12-2007, 14:42
Sorry about that i did mean Symbiote Rippers. These late night are killing me. Need to get my Armys ready for the apocolypes battles.

THE CHIEF
05-12-2007, 14:53

That is odd. Hopefully they are making new plastic proper 'swarms' to surprise us all. They are troops choices after all.

Black Antelope
05-12-2007, 15:35
I got 6 meduim bases in mine -3x warroirs, 3x 4 rippers

wickedvoodoo
05-12-2007, 16:58
I got 6 meduim bases in mine -3x warroirs, 3x 4 rippers

Ditto, although i did just lump the spinefist rippers in with the normals to bulk out the bases.

alphastealer
07-12-2007, 07:00
Hi,

Personally I prefer the 3rd edition tyranid battleforce to the current one. I was mad when they replaced it without giving a clear indication of what the content of the new box would contain.

I already have a few carnies so the new box is nowhere near as good a deal as the older one with 16x haumagaunts, 16x termagants, 12x stealers, 3x warriors and 3x ripper bases.

The warriors, gaunts and rippers are exactly the same models, it is only the stealers that have changed and to be honest I am not mad over the new ones as apposed to the old ones.

The new fex is lovely but very big which makes hiding him from lascasnnon fire almost impossible.

I would be very interested if anyone knew where I could still get hold of a few old battleforce boxes.

My overall feeling though is that the tyranid box is one of the best rounded. You have all the elements to play a game out the box with no additional purchases needed. Most other battleboxes don't give you a HQ model so you have to buy a battlebox and a seperate HQ blister just to get going.

Egaeus
07-12-2007, 13:48
My overall feeling though is that the tyranid box is one of the best rounded. You have all the elements to play a game out the box with no additional purchases needed. Most other battleboxes don't give you a HQ model so you have to buy a battlebox and a seperate HQ blister just to get going.

I haven't gotten around to buying one of the new Battleforces yet, although I keep meaning to because I really want a 4th Edition Carnifex (although I have multiple 2nd/3rd edition versions so it isn't a big issue).

I think that the new Battleforce is actually a better deal, since a Carnifex individually costs more than a box of Gaunts, but I agree that the older version was more "useful" (especially since for Gaunts you have to get the equivalent of 4 boxes to get a full single unit of Shooty Gaunts and Hormagaunts).

I also am quite fond of the fact that you can have a fully playable army out of the box. It won't be a great army but it does give a good starting point plus the fact that even if you do get another HQ the Warriors are still useful.

One of the issues I think is that GW really wants to be careful that the Battleforces aren't really too good a deal, or who would ever buy normal sets? As such, the 'Nid box is good because you can use up to 6 of them. Hmm...wonder how that would work for an army consturction...just the contents of 6 'Nid Battleforce boxes...although you would end up overloaded on Troop choices, and wouldn't have any Fast Attack (unless you wanted to mod some of the Warriors with Wings...)

Helm
07-12-2007, 15:01
That Battleforce set is brilliant. From it I not only produced my army (complete with Rippers, by the way), but also built a 1,000 pt Battlefleet Gothic 'Nid fleet from the bits left over. It's a superb set in every way.

pookie
07-12-2007, 15:05
The new fex is lovely but very big which makes hiding him from lascasnnon fire almost impossible

well it is a MC after all, what would you want a fex that hides behind a stealer? agreed tho, i liked that prev battleforce and contents too.