PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me an e-mail service

Finnblood
04-12-2007, 08:48
Hi.

Today I found out, that my old email account is closing up by the end of this month. Now I need a new one.

I really liked the old one: no spam, no commercials; and the best part: I might spend 4 months not logging in and I could trust the account was still there. Oh and of course, free!

I've had a few hotmail accounts, but most of them die, because I rarely use or check my email. I never bother to resurrect my account, so I just create a new one. Currently my MSN account is fairly alive as I login to MSN daily. The problem is that I sometimes spend weeks or (gasp) months with no connection to the internets and Hotmail accounts die unless one logs in at least once in 30 days. And resurrected accounts don't have any data saved.

But I do need an email, being a member to countless internet forums and associations, not to mention MMOs and browser games.

Any good and free services?

Aurellis
04-12-2007, 09:30
I recommend Googles email service Gmail

I don't get any spam and the inbox is massive... also i haven't used my account for a year and it seems it hasnt been shut down :p

Mr. Shine
04-12-2007, 09:39
I'll vouch for Gmail too - nice, convenient, easy and safe. Mostly.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
04-12-2007, 12:36
Gmail. It's far better than Yahoo or Hotmail and you wont regret it.

Ravenheart
04-12-2007, 13:22
Personally I'm using GMX which is pretty good, but I have heard good things about GMail.

superknijn
04-12-2007, 16:12
Gmail; even though it's apparently in a permanent beta phase, it's the best E-mail provider I've used yet. Plenty of people who can give you invitations.

Sylass
04-12-2007, 17:13
I agree, as long as you don't mind Google analyzing your email traffic, it's probably the best choice out there. ;)

Agrip. Varenus Denter
04-12-2007, 18:08
Gmail; even though it's apparently in a permanent beta phase, it's the best E-mail provider I've used yet. Plenty of people who can give you invitations.

Google has been out of that phase for close to a year... give or take. All you have to do is sign up! :)

Brother Munro
04-12-2007, 18:18
GMail

I should have a pile of invites if they still require them, just PM me :)

der_lex
04-12-2007, 20:39
Heard Gmail's pretty good, but am more than happy with yahoo mail myself. Little to no spam, unlimited storage space, and I've rarely had any service issues. Another plus is, since it's compatible with yahoo messenger, I have some way of getting alerts for new messages without having my browser open (don't know if that's an option for Gmail or not). My only gripe with it is the 10 MB maximum attachment size.

Wintermute
04-12-2007, 20:52
I have some way of getting alerts for new messages without having my browser open (don't know if that's an option for Gmail or not).

Yes it is either by using GoogleTalk or a separate Google Mail Notification program which is very useful. I can see immediately when I receive emails from WarSeer, (or elsewhere) because a pop-up window appears to inform me about new mail.

Lasitor
04-12-2007, 21:03
I have a bunch of invites on gmail as well. If anyone needs one you can pm me as well.

Gmail is great

der_lex
04-12-2007, 21:26
Yes it is either by using GoogleTalk or a separate Google Mail Notification program which is very useful. I can see immediately when I receive emails from WarSeer, (or elsewhere) because a pop-up window appears to inform me about new mail.

That's very useful indeed. It's a bit late in the game for me to switch over (had this particular e-mail account since 97 or 98 or so), but might have to open up an additional Gmail account for those larger attachments...

Sgt John Keel
06-12-2007, 01:05
I agree, as long as you don't mind Google analyzing your email traffic, it's probably the best choice out there. ;)

Only for providing relevant ads…

Google has been out of that phase for close to a year... give or take. All you have to do is sign up! :)

The invitation only phase, yes. The beta phase, no.

Anywho, Gmail does also provide IMAP4, which is something not very common for free, or ad supported as it may be, services. Also useful is the ability to open Excel and Word documents in the browser.

/Adrian

Finnblood
25-03-2008, 12:30
Hi.

Bit of threadomancy here, but I just realised I might be needing a new email address pretty soon (have been using my hotmail account lately, but it's a bit awkward to use your internet alias in work and education matters) and I'd like to give gmail a try.

So, if anyone with extra invitations would be so kind to arrange me one, PM me.

Thanks.

Gaz
25-03-2008, 12:52
I don't think you need invitations for googlemail anymore ^^

max the dog
25-03-2008, 18:32
Try a few out and see for yourself which one you like best. I've had a yahoo account for years and wouldn't dream of using anything else. It filters just about anything I don't want, is secure, never dies, and has unlimited storage for free. That free unlimited storage thing is pretty important to me since my work has me dealing with lots of big files and it's like having a free archive service.