PDA

View Full Version : Banned to spend money on models till 2008

untimention
04-12-2007, 08:54
its official i have been banned by my partner to spend any more money in 2007 on warhammer.

it came yesterday when i walked into games workshop watford to have a look at the display cabinet and walked out spending £30.....

fair play to her she does have a point since Sept i must spent around £500+ on warhammer i couldnt start to tell you what ive spent it on but it includes

- Games Day 2008 spent £300 on the nose

- baneblade

- saint cel

- black orc big boss and giant squig

- wolf heads

- Painted Gorbad

- Bonesinger

- Harlequin High avatar miniature

- some old inquisitors

and some ltd's

oh well bring on 2008

scratchbuilt
04-12-2007, 09:11
HawHaw!
:evilgrin:
(Points as he laughs)

lord_blackfang
04-12-2007, 09:14
What's the big deal? It's less than 1 month and no new releases in that time, anyway...
Use the time to paint all the **** you already have.

THE CHIEF
04-12-2007, 09:18
If it was 2009 that would be a punishment. What she really should have said was "you have to paint every single model you own before you can buy any more"!

Aurellis
04-12-2007, 09:23
I think you got off pretty lightly to be honest, she could have said you can't buy any till next summer or till all your models are painted.
You have a 27 day window of not being able to purchase models... it shouldn't be too hard

Ban her from buying shoes ;)

Bombot
04-12-2007, 09:24
Hell, in my case telling me I have to glue them all together first would delay me till well into 2008 :)

Khornies & milk
04-12-2007, 09:29
Sounds like you've had a good run up till now anyway, and it's only 3-4 weeks till '09.
Keep sweet with the Missus and it's likely you'll have a good start to the new year as well.

untimention
04-12-2007, 09:37
she actually did say why dont you use this time to paint your models... if i did i wouldnt be able to go to work for the next 10 years, i have over a 1000 maybe close to 2000 models

Mr. Shine
04-12-2007, 09:38
Why have you allowed her to ban you in the first place?

Bombot
04-12-2007, 09:43

Do you know how daft it would be to let toy soldiers cause a major rift?

Especially seeing as she appears to have a fair point.

untimention
04-12-2007, 09:45
im agreeing with her i have an addition to buy models on ebay

Nephilim of Sin
04-12-2007, 10:12
If it was 2009 that would be a punishment. What she really should have said was "you have to paint every single model you own before you can buy any more"!

But then, according to Harry, he would die.:D

I wish my girlfriend would put a spending limit on me. No, she has to 'encourage' the hobby and wants me to buy more. She 'likes' the models and painting them. I end up very happy, but with no money:cries:.....

Aurellis
04-12-2007, 10:14

because there are some pleasures toy soldiers cannot bring that one's wife can ;)

Jomee
04-12-2007, 10:15
Yeah 1 month isn't bad at all really. I've done at least a year without buying, maybe more. I didn't ever get "banned" though, which I suppose is the point of the thread.

forgotten hero
04-12-2007, 10:27
because there are some pleasures toy soldiers cannot bring that one's wife can ;)

:angel: i wouldn't know, i'm not married...:angel: haha!

-Rob ;)

snurl
04-12-2007, 10:28
She probably bought some new figures for you for Christmas and she's worried that you will run out and buy the same ones before she can give them to you. Tis the season......:D

requiem
04-12-2007, 10:49
She probably bought some new figures for you for Christmas and she's worried that you will run out and buy the same ones before she can give them to you. Tis the season......:D

snurl, you have gone and done it now. Imagine his Christmas day: he waits until the last present, gets more excited and opens it....socks. :(

You ruined his Christmas...

:p.

Julie.

pookie
04-12-2007, 11:11
snurl, you have gone and done it now. Imagine his Christmas day: he waits until the last present, gets more excited and opens it....socks. :(

You ruined his Christmas...

:p.

Julie.

could be worse......... y-fronts :eek:

have to say im in a similar boat, but then again i get away with the odd purchase, becuase my wife has a new pair of shoes/hand bag/some other fem crap monthly herself!

requiem
04-12-2007, 11:28
could be worse......... y-fronts :eek:

Mybe he's into that sort of thing....;)

have to say im in a similar boat, but then again i get away with the odd purchase, becuase my wife has a new pair of shoes/hand bag/some other fem crap monthly herself!

Thats teamwork right there! :D

Julie.

Jedi152
04-12-2007, 11:32
My fiancée warns me to curb my spending, but to be fair, she has a fair point - we have a mortgage to pay and a wedding to save for, so i don't spend a lot - maybe £30 a month, mostly eBay buys.

She was determined that everything i brought was for my Bretonnian army, to finish it.

"Yes dear, this [Ratskin Gang] is for my bretonnians! And this [marine veteran] too!"

Having said that, Warhammer World has a way of blindsiding me. I didn't intend to buy anything on saturday, but after an hours talk to Graham McNeill i just had to buy the Empire book and Defenders of Ulthuan...

Agrip. Varenus Denter
04-12-2007, 12:35
This type of thing usually tips me off that the Mrs. is getting me models for Christmas, and doesn't want me to buy something that she already did. :)

pookie
04-12-2007, 13:26
Mybe he's into that sort of thing....;)

Thats teamwork right there! :D

Julie.

got to have team work ! even at my expense (financial)... ;)

My fiancée warns me to curb my spending, but to be fair, she has a fair point - we have a mortgage to pay and a wedding to save for, so i don't spend a lot - maybe £30 a month, mostly eBay buys.

She was determined that everything i brought was for my Bretonnian army, to finish it.

"Yes dear, this [Ratskin Gang] is for my bretonnians! And this [marine veteran] too!"

Having said that, Warhammer World has a way of blindsiding me. I didn't intend to buy anything on saturday, but after an hours talk to Graham McNeill i just had to buy the Empire book and Defenders of Ulthuan...

amazing how much i sneek past my wife too, yes dear these new SM ( CSM/Possessed/eldar/IG/BFSP Goblins all go in my BT force! oh how she'd murder me if she found out.....

Burnthem
04-12-2007, 13:31
but after an hours talk to Graham McNeill i just had to buy the Empire book and Defenders of Ulthuan...

Really? After an hours talk to Graham McNeill i'd more tempted to buy some rope :D........

untimention
04-12-2007, 15:22
spent £150 on her for xmas so the next " u need to stop spending " ill be like oh no i wont be able to treat u like at xmas "

Some guy (UK)
04-12-2007, 17:03
I've been threatened with the old "If one more parcel of models arrives for you in the post, then I'll simply break it to pieces and put it in the bin."

Thing is, I'm not sure if they are joking or not :p

Gotta love family...

EVIL INC
04-12-2007, 17:15
Mine got upset when she saw that I had spent $23 at the game shop and wanted to know what it was for. I told her I needed to get the codex so that I could put my gaurd together. I had thought that was a given. LOL
I can understand though, it IS the holidays and cash is short. I will limit myself to a piece here and there.
Looking at all you spent, woohoo thats more then I have spent on the game for the last 5 years. Dont really blame her.

BozzyB
04-12-2007, 17:56
fair play to her she does have a point since Sept i must spent around £500+ on warhammer

How do you make that kind of money, yet still answer to your parents about how you are spending your money?

BozzyB

Deamon-forge
04-12-2007, 18:11
Sounds like as xmas is coming, thats proble why,

Each month i am restricted to £100 to spend on Warhammer but the total all ways come to £300+ i just cant stop spending my cash on it. its like a bloody drug *sniff the fresly packed model*

ffoecaf
04-12-2007, 19:15
I banned myself from buying anything for a while, since the last time I walked into the store to buy some musicians to convert into vox casters for my Slaanesh renegade guard I also walked out with 2 of the Leman Russ 3 packs, a lone leman russ, a Basalisk 3 pack, a box of Flagellents and a box of Cold Ones Riders to make rough riders for said Slaanesh guard.

Gaebriel
04-12-2007, 19:25
Limiting myself to a certain budget is essential, because this hobby can easily make me go overboard (and in a sense it's ever finished).

So in general it's my own wallet that bans me from spending (until the next payday). Though if I was in a life partnership (married or living together - so depending on each other), I would certainly discuss the size of that budget with my partner - and expect the same from her...

If it was just a casual girlfriend, well, not her business what I do with my money...

And I don't bow to arguments of "building everything" or "painting everything" - we all know it's not a "to use", but a "must have" that makes us pile even more models :D

Gaz
04-12-2007, 20:06
Luckily my girlfriend has a Tau army, and she really isn't much better than me at trying to not spend money on the stuff. Lately though shes been buying loads of scenery to make, so its kinda working out well :D

Zink
04-12-2007, 20:38
I'm in a similar situation. I haven't been officially banned but I see the warning signs and need to be careful. I tend to only by a couple of times a year but go big when I do. I've been dreaming about doing some historicals for a long time and bought an army a month ago. I still haven't finished many, many other projects so she was not the most understanding. She feels we need to prioritize our spending and my models, even though it's my only expense at the moment, is not a priority. She didn't mind it when I bought her a dwarf army a year ago and she begged me to buy a couple hundred dollars of playground equipment for the kids. But no toys for dad! Could be worse at least she didn't nag about it after telling me she disapproved. And she sees that I really am spending all of my spare time either with the kids, her or painting.

Luke
04-12-2007, 21:56
Oh noes! You can't spend any money on GW for 27 days!

Seriously man, if you can't go 4 weeks without spending any money on GW stuff you should probably consider cognital behavioural therapy or at least find a new hobby like stamp collecting or flower pressing.

Sheesh.

starlight
04-12-2007, 22:07
The agreement I had with my ex was that we could spend whatever we wanted, as long as we kept track...because every dollar one spent was permission for the other to spend an equal amount. So if you figured there was enough in the budget for *double* your splurge, that was fine, because the other person got the other half.

It worked fine the six years we were together...

Until I move in with someone again, I can spend whatever I want... ;)

*eyes the groaning hobby table and shelves suspiciously...* :eyebrows:

der_lex
05-12-2007, 00:25
I'm the more thrifty one in my marriage, so my spending is rarely a problem... especially since the missus and I like a lot of the same 'leisure time objects' (DVD box sets, Wii games, etc). My Warhammer spending only goes nuts when interesting new army deals come out (must resist getting Vampire Counts next year... half a Chaos army and an entire Empire army left to paint still...), and I've never gotten even the hint of a complaint about it. Still have to draw her into the hobby, though...although she's actually suggested trying the game sometime, and was quite impressed with the Wood Elves when we last visited a GW... *crosses fingers*

snurl
05-12-2007, 06:24
I spend most of my December hobby time painting figures to give to some of my gaming friends, it keeps me out of the hobby shop. I usually get a gift certificate to the hobby shop for christmas anyway, so I can wait.

A few months ago, my wife found a few boxes of figures that I havn't gotten around to painting yet. When I stood back and looked at just how many there were, I must say I was a bit embarrassed. All she said was, When will you be painting these?
Since then, I have bought very few figures. But I do look foreward to the new Undead release next year.

untimention
05-12-2007, 06:29
yeah ive tried getting her interested... she has a paint set and some models inc high elves and she helped me with the baneblade... so its getting there. She doesn't have a hobby you see so all she does is shop. She's great that she comes GW with me and Games Day etc... next stop maybe starting an army

Brother Loki
05-12-2007, 08:46
How do you make that kind of money, yet still answer to your parents about how you are spending your money?

Partner, not parents!

Aurellis
05-12-2007, 09:33
yeah ive tried getting her interested... she has a paint set and some models inc high elves and she helped me with the baneblade... so its getting there. She doesn't have a hobby you see so all she does is shop. She's great that she comes GW with me and Games Day etc... next stop maybe starting an army

If only all wives/girlfriends were so open-minded! You need to hang onto the one

My girlfriend reguarly declares she hates the hobby and its a waste of money... :confused:

Luke
05-12-2007, 09:59
My girlfriend reguarly declares she hates the hobby and its a waste of money... :confused:

I hate the hobby and I do think it is a waste of money. But its like cocaine or heroin or something. I am addicted to buying models.

As for partners hating it..... My last BF dabbled so that was pretty cool :D Any gay wargamers out there? lol. x

Glabro
05-12-2007, 11:05
I've been threatened with the old "If one more parcel of models arrives for you in the post, then I'll simply break it to pieces and put it in the bin."

Thing is, I'm not sure if they are joking or not :p

Gotta love family...

Heh, well, that´s no problem, order the models anyway - if the threat is carried out, you can always surprise the family with a sneak lawsuit!

And if that doesn´t work, just break something precious to them in reprisal!

See, it´s easy to solve life´s problems if you just think it over.

Jedi152
05-12-2007, 11:06
To be fair, it is really. We spend hundreds if not thousands on something that will have little/no resale value and doesn't make you fit or particularly popular.

But we all do it! :D

Luke
05-12-2007, 11:16
I have to control myself now. I need to save up to buy a bigger motorcycle. I really want to go to iceland on an enduro and have an adventure type holiday :)

Damn little pieces of pewter steal all my moneys!

Aurellis
05-12-2007, 11:47
I don't think its a waste of money but i think its too expensive. I think Itd be a waste if i got no satisfaction out of painting and gaming. If i went snowboarding or something It'd cost me hundreds to board for hours but with this hobby i can spend £8 on a model and spend as much or as little time as i wasnt painting it up

Jellicoe
05-12-2007, 12:18
Mrs. J has on a number of occasions suggested I paint everything I have first before buying more stuff and it will be a model free Christmas to boot although in compensation I am looking forward to getting my hands of Avalanche Press' Cruiser Warfare.

Not too fussed re the indication to slow down purchases as I do need to make some inroads into the backlog. Principally a chaos mortals army + some eldar but have been distracted by the pleasures of repainting my old RTB01 marines (thank you Simple Green)

mistformsquirrel
05-12-2007, 12:36
But then, according to Harry, he would die.:D

I wish my girlfriend would put a spending limit on me. No, she has to 'encourage' the hobby and wants me to buy more. She 'likes' the models and painting them. I end up very happy, but with no money:cries:.....

Bwahaha... That's awesome <@_@>

Some guy (UK)
05-12-2007, 13:45
Heh, well, that´s no problem, order the models anyway - if the threat is carried out, you can always surprise the family with a sneak lawsuit!

And if that doesn´t work, just break something precious to them in reprisal!

See, it´s easy to solve life´s problems if you just think it over.

I've already broken/damaged enough things in the house, but I like that idea.

Another idea of mine includes:

"It's from play.com, just a few DVD's..."
"I don't see play.com on the envelope?"
"It's right there"
At which time I vaugely point at the package.
And at that point I run up the stairs!

untimention
05-12-2007, 22:33
the only point i cant win against is:

if you hadn't spent any money on models you could afford a deposit on a house....

its a true fact but hell live with the parents and have a room full of them

Mahwell Skel
05-12-2007, 23:24
What? This package? It is valuable antique items I have invested in for our retirement. I was reading the financial times and it said now was the time to put all our money into precious metals. So I did.

What!!!??? Paint them? Are you crazy??? Why would I put paint on them? It may harm the value!

Ok I will put (some) back on ebay (soon).:angel:

Fenriz
05-12-2007, 23:26
If only all wives/girlfriends were so open-minded! You need to hang onto the one

You reckon? Im quite glad my partner doesnt share my hobby.

Any healthy relationship requires you have something for yourself as well as shared interests. My taste in music, photography, and 40k are my "things". Its nice to have something of my own.

That said she doesnt mind that i do it. Shes just not interested either. Its a good thing.

So i dont bother her with it, and i certainly never ask her for GW related stuff for birthdays or christmas. My hobby, so i should pay for it myself.

As an aside, to the OP, i fail to see why its a bad thing youve been told you cant spend any money in GW for a month. I havent bought any models in nearly 6 months. GW have probably had about £25 out of me since the summer (spent on books - Fulgrim, Descent Of Angels, The Armour Of Contempt). I cant ever justify spending tonnes of cash on the hobby.

VanHel
06-12-2007, 00:45
You know starlight, if you ever wanted to unburden those hobby selves abit....

starlight
06-12-2007, 00:53
Oh, it'll happen...one day. ;)

First I need to sort it and decide what I actually want to build and keep...:(

snurl
06-12-2007, 07:15
First I need to sort it and decide what I actually want to build and keep...:(

You too?

The sortings the hard part isn't it?

pookie
06-12-2007, 10:18
To be fair, it is really. We spend hundreds if not thousands on something that will have little/no resale value and doesn't make you fit or particularly popular.

But we all do it! :D

ah, but same can be said of the GF/Wife/BF/Husband.

when we moved house 3 and a bit months ago, she actually had more boxes of bags and shoes than i had boxes in total for what was 'mine' ( as opposed to 'ours') and theres no way she could claim to be able to re sell any of the shoes and bags and at least i can 'claim' theres some re sale value on my models.