PDA

View Full Version : can a treeman lead an army??

lector#1
04-12-2007, 12:00
can a treeman lead a WE army, if so is it a good idea and can he join a unit of tree kin???

Xzazzarai
04-12-2007, 12:17
If it's a Treeman-Ancient, yes he can.

Don't know about joining units, but think that is possible.

Allthough, I'm having a hard time seeing a group of Elves obeying an old tree... ^^

p3990013
04-12-2007, 12:44
Yes and if you add a BSB near him, he'll never break from combat...

EvilMonkee
04-12-2007, 12:58
Cant join units though

lector#1
04-12-2007, 13:17
is it possible for you guys to give me his stats.

and im guessing he cant have magic items (but then again he is a giant tree dont see him needing any)

and yeah i can see the problem of elves following a tree aswell so i would probably have lots of treekin and dryads in the army just for fluff reasons

p3990013
04-12-2007, 14:55
His stats are GW copyright. Just read the WE book in a GW store.

Suffice to say he has similar stats to a lizardmen stegadon and similar uses too.

ObiWan
04-12-2007, 15:09
Remember is against forum policy to give explicit stats or rules since those are GW IP.
On the other hand, Ancients can lead an army, but can't join other units IIRC.

Red_Duke
04-12-2007, 15:36
Indeed - i would suggest getting the armybook if you're wanting to start a WE army...

an Ancient can lead the force, and can have the standard 100pts of stuff, but only spites, so no access to magic armour, weapons, etc... Pretty good general, as with annoyance of nettlings he's pretty much the ultimate character killer, and you can STILL have another treeman. Generally however, people just take 2 treemen, and save the Lord slot for a lvl4 mage.

matthew_swifty
04-12-2007, 16:37
Treeman Ancient with annoyance of netlings and cluster or radiants and BSB with stone of crystal mere + another treeman and the "Standard alter noble" (GW, LA, S, Helm of the Hunt, Hail of doom arrow" and a level 2 wizard with calingor's stave and a dispel scroll.

This is an extremely good character combination, working together, magic defence is alright with 4 dispel dice and a scroll and the treesinging capabilities are awesome.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
04-12-2007, 20:13
hmm I agree with what has been said above i think that two treemen would be a huge pain for anyone to fight. I would take a magic lord for some magic power. I dont think it is worth taking a treeman ancient. Two treemen are sufficient.

Xzazzarai
04-12-2007, 23:03
Hellfiresword anyone?

Milamber
04-12-2007, 23:19
Screaming Skull Catapult. A direct hit will wound on 2+ and is magical and flaming so effectively does 2d6 wounds, no saves. A real treeman killer... if you hit...

theunwantedbeing
04-12-2007, 23:26
Treemen ancients can lead the army.
Cant join units.
Big tough thing....hard to kill, hard to even break in combat.

The pit of shades is rather good at taking him down though.

Bretonnian Lord
05-12-2007, 00:11
http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/reference/assets/wood-elves-reference.pdf

Games workshop actually has the stats of all Wood Elves posted on their site. :p

Leogun_91
05-12-2007, 17:56
Even if you think 2 treemen is enough why not let one of them be ancient that leaves up a rare choice and that can really be put too good use.

Lucky24/7
05-12-2007, 20:47
Imo I think Treemen Acients are the best lord slot a Wood elf army has... Espically combined with a 2nd. A mean they are just rock hard.

Dwarf Runelord 45
20-12-2007, 00:11
Yeah and they're darn hard to kill.

lparigi34
20-12-2007, 11:38
Uhmm Lector, I see where you are headed to... a Garden Sticks Army...

Well, I designed mine :D, but so far never built it. I guess it would be fun to sometimes show up to a game with it.

SilentTempest
21-12-2007, 01:52
Even if you think 2 treemen is enough why not let one of them be ancient that leaves up a rare choice and that can really be put too good use.

Not to nitpick, but a Treeman Ancient uses both a Lord and a Rare slot, so you're not saving anything. The common advice, though, is that if you don't have a Lord choice already (which many WE players don't, since they often go defensive magic and Highborns are regarded as not so much better than Nobles that they're worth the extra cost (unless you're going for a specific combo like the Bow of Loren/Arcane Bodkins Alter Highborn)), then it' definitely worth it to upgrade to a Treeman Ancient if you have spare points. Consider that you get:
- Extra point of Leadership
- Extra Treesinging
- Access to Spites
- Ability to challenge so as to protect the Treeman Ancient.

It's worth the 40ish points. The Leadership alone is nearly worth that.

Defender of Ulthuan
21-12-2007, 03:16
A Treeman ancient can lead a WE army as both a lord and a rare choice.

He cannot join units.

In my personal opinion, however, I'd much rather take 2 Treemen and 4 lvl 1 branchwraiths (or perhaps 3 and drycha if you like special characters, which I don't).
If you have only 40 points, upgrade him. I would much rather have all the magic, and possibly give my general blight of terrors so that I have 3 terror causing models.. :)

Defender