PDA

View Full Version : Itouch

Tall Ed
04-12-2007, 13:59
I have a few questions about the new Itouch.

If I brought an Itouch in America, would it be compatible with the UK version of Itunes?

Does any one own an Itouch, if so what do you think of it?

Cheers in advance

Tall Ed

Penitent
04-12-2007, 14:09
There shouldn't be any compatibility issues with UK itunes...but why do you want one? That has to be the most expensive 8gb's of space out there.

Weagmacht
04-12-2007, 15:30
That thing is garbage and one of Apple's biggest steps backwards in terms of long-term reliable functionality + viewability, and capacity in an mp3 player. The resemblance to the iphone and accompanying sense of being hip is the only thing that will make this damn thing sell, and potential customers of the Apple company should feel insulted by this paltry offering, especially compared to the value of the past incarnations of the ipod.

I would highly recommend that you look into just getting one of the previous generations of ipod. For less money you will get a much better mp3 player, with a control system that will not destroy the player's screen by design, and capacity that is actually worth the price.

You ask me, no touch screen is worth sacrificing 90% storage capacity and paying an additional US$50. :wtf:

Sorry for a rant, but Apple's tendency toward pretentious design has long been a sticking point for me, and the touch screen ipod has finally proved that they don't care anymore about offering a good value in their products.

plasmadaemon
04-12-2007, 19:43
Nope, there will be no problems at all since they are the same models as sold back here.

(To the poster above: your comment is of no relevance to this thread, want to bash apple? Make your own thread. And please do some research beforehand, it might explain some of your points, thanks.)

Vodevil
04-12-2007, 20:10
I have a 16GB Touch and I love it, the touch screen for me is very easy to use and had little to no learning curve. The screen is made of glass, so normal use will not damage it. I find that I use the web browser quite often when I'm out and about, even though I also have a MacBook Pro.

It's a very nice little machine over all, if it's something you like and think you would use I would go for it.

theunwantedbeing
04-12-2007, 20:39
Cant see the point of the itouch really.....its just an iphone that only plays music.
Pretty pointless.

thegnome
04-12-2007, 21:00
Cant see the point of the itouch really.....its just an iphone that only plays music.
Pretty pointless.
By which I assume you mean it's also a wi-fi web browser, photo/video storage device, address book and calendar/datebook. These features might not be for everybody, and this should absolutely be taken into account when deciding whether the expensive touchscreen interface is worth it, but at least double check that you're not absolutely wrong before posting.

Sorry for a rant, but Apple's tendency toward pretentious design has long been a sticking point for me, and the touch screen ipod has finally proved that they don't care anymore about offering a good value in their products.
So what you're saying is that a company you already disliked did something that you disliked? Somebody alert the presses.

For me, it was the price that was a deciding factor in not purchasing it more than anything else. I broke my 20GB clickwheel iPod during the summer, and quickly replaced it with a 2GB Nano, so I didn't think I could justify the cost so quickly. I was surprised how unimportant the reduced storage size has been; since purchasing it I've never thought that a full 24 hours of music was insufficient. I pick what I want to listen to for a few days, and then shift things around a bit later.

I may pick one up next year, but for now I'm happy with a Nano.

plasmadaemon
04-12-2007, 21:00
Pretty pointless.

Wouldn't you rather say it's an iphone without the phone?

Tall Ed
05-12-2007, 15:04
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

@Vodevil: Have you had any problems with the screen scratching? Have you protected the screen in any way?

theunwantedbeing
05-12-2007, 16:00
Oh im sorry to all the apple fanboys.....didnt know it could surf the web as well.
Still dont see why anyone would buy it over an iphone.

Oh and it can store stuff.....big deal a flash drive does that.
Calendar/datebook and adress book?
Pretty sure normal ipods do all that.

All it's offering is a touchscreen and internet access....but I dont see how thats useful.
Especially seeing as you can just get an ipod with a a massive hard drive to store all your music on for the same price.

Untill it offers the same sizes as the normal ipod it doesnt seem worth getting.
Sorry for my logical attitude towards looking at things.....I know its not the apple way.

marv335
05-12-2007, 16:14
my palmpilot has a touchscreen, an mp3 player, a calender, internet access and storage. There are thousands of 3rd party programs on the 'net.
Ok it doesn't have masses of memory, but I can get 2Gb SD cards very cheap and swap them around as required

Weagmacht
05-12-2007, 17:05
@ plasmadaemon:
The OP asked for opinons, I gave mine. I'll admit I don't own a touch screen ipod, but I have used one, as well as an iphone, and I gave my opinions based on that.

@Vodevil:
Thank you for clarifying that point. I'll admit I didn't know that about the product, but I can still say that I think a touch screen is a weak selling point. I hate the idea of constantly cleaning a screen so I can see what I am trying to do.

@ thegnome:
There's no need to be snarky here. You're making some assumptions here. I didn't say, "I hate Apple completely and for all time because the company is a bunch of stuck-up rich arses and I think they're stupid." I said Apple has a tendency to be pretentious and that this trait was a sticking point. I was hoping that this would indicate that I had considered buying their products and that I had hesitated because of concerns about the social status of the products in question v. their economical value and ease of use. Clearly I need to be a bit more specific, and if my earlier expressed views were misleading, that was not my intention.

As for the issue of doing research: I don't believe that I need to know specs or performance issues to know whether a company has a tendency to be pretentious. Apple became successful because they have created excellent products and they respond well to the concerns of their customers. I happen to like the design of many Apple products, but their reputation has gradually centred largely on being cool and cutting edge. I also can't recall rendering an utter condemnation of Apple's products... I simply said that their latest offering is, in my opinion, one of the least valuable products that the company has created. I happen to think that it is more of a superficial celebration of their reputation and less of a high-quality, well-engineered, high-value product.

Based on my experience with the product in question, I stand by my recommendation and opinion, and maintain that for the money, the ipod "classic" is a far better value. You can blame that on my supposed "anti-Apple" sentiments or my "anti-touch-screen" bender, but I am offering what I consider to be a reasonable argument.

Besides, the OP will make the choice for themselves, so don't come down on me for trying to help inform a decision. To that point, Tall Ed, please feel free to disregard my statements, and enjoy whatever music player you decide to purchase. I doubt you will go wrong with an ipod, but there are other options. Have fun shopping and listening.

Aaron
05-12-2007, 19:34
Still dont see why anyone would buy it over an iphone.

8GB iPhone = 269 + a minimum of 630 for the attached contract
16GB iPod touch = 269 + no contract

That's why. :)

Plus, a lot of people are impressed with the iPhone's phone functionality. They'd rather carry an iPod touch and a phone with proper SMS, Bluetooth, etc. support.

Vodevil
05-12-2007, 21:32
Thank you everyone for your comments and advice.

@Vodevil: Have you had any problems with the screen scratching? Have you protected the screen in any way?

Nope, I don't have any kind of protector on the screen. I have a case that covers the back and sides but thus far the screen has reminded completely open.

Thank you for clarifying that point. I'll admit I didn't know that about the product, but I can still say that I think a touch screen is a weak selling point. I hate the idea of constantly cleaning a screen so I can see what I am trying to do.

You actually can't really see fingerprints when you have it on, I notice them when I have the screen off but otherwise I don't notice that it's dirty.

Here's my Touch, I haven't cleaned the screen in a week or so and it's finger printed to all hell.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u38/Level33/IMG_2262.jpg