PDA

View Full Version : the birth of slaaneesh(sp?)

Alamaias
04-12-2007, 19:04
does anyone have/has anyone read an explination why, although the eldar in 40K awakened slaaneesh, he is still one of the four ruinous powers in WFB? i always assumed they were on the same timeline, or did it just happen that long ago?
i've known the story of the fall of the eldar for about 8 years and i only thought about this last week :P

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-12-2007, 19:06
Because those two games are two different settings. They share things, but they don't really have anything to do with each other.

Icarus
04-12-2007, 19:41
Thats it in a nutshell basically. Although there are some of the same concepts used the worlds of 40k and Fantasy are totally separate.

Well ok theres an argument about it, but thats basically the case.

Kandarin
04-12-2007, 21:10
In 40K, Slaanesh was formed in the Fall of the Eldar. WFB is a different setting: In it, Slaanesh has 'always been', just like the other three main Chaos Gods. While Slaanesh has great appeal to the Elves, it has no special link to them like it does to the Eldar of 40K.

Thornea
04-12-2007, 22:30
Im Sure the WFB world was supposed to be an inaccessable world cut off by warp storms in the w40k universe from what I can remember.

Clockwork-Knight
04-12-2007, 22:40
That was back then. But now, both settings are absolutely and officially separated because of Intellectual Property reasons.
However, the WhFB-world being in set in the Wh40k-verse never made sense chronologically anyway. The Old Ones created some polar gates on the WhFB-world some thousand years ago and got destroyed by Chaos, but in the Wh40k-verse, the Old Ones were eradicated since many million years, long before Chaos even came to be.
Meh, doesn't matter anymore.
The two settings are now separated, and are now each going their own way.

Alamaias
05-12-2007, 00:12
cool thanks guys :)

Iracundus
05-12-2007, 03:50
WHFB as of 2nd ed. Chaos Codex was a world surrounded by impenetrable warp storms. Evidence pointing towards this was N'kari's existence as the same entity in both universes, having won immortality on the WHFB and then going on to fight in the Horus Heresy.

The Old Ones were mentioned in the Necron Codex as still being around biologically as a species, just degenerate. Xenology mentions the existence of an undegenerate Old One still doing racial engineering projects long after the "Fall of the Old Ones" so it is not beyond the realm of believability to posit the existence of a similar remnant group of Old Ones being responsible for the WHFB world.

Since then, GW has tried to downplay and deny the connection between the two worlds. However certain items in WHFB remain direct copies of 40K wargear items in function, though not in name. Also there is a passing reference to the WHFB Old Ones fighting Orcs, who were an unintended pest, and it is suggested these Orcs may have been brought to WHFB in spore form on the Old Ones' starships. So there are still nudges and winks about the two games being in the same universe, though if one compares the timelines the "current" WHFB time appears to lie far far in 40K's past.

Brother Siccarius
05-12-2007, 11:08
Every once in a while GW likes to toss some chum in the waters and watch the sharks fight. Which is why the Artifacts of the Old Ones from Albion in WHFB mimic items in WH40k.

Jedi152
05-12-2007, 11:17
Many have said it, but i'll re-iterate.

First, fantasy existed. It was great. GW decided to make a sci-fi version and so just ported everything across - races, gods, everything. That's why everything is the same. The birth of Slaanesh thing was invented to give the Eldar a bit of a tragic backstory.

The universes were originally connected, now they officially aren't. Any references to it (Liber Chaotica, Albion items) are in-jokes.

Commander Dante
05-12-2007, 17:40
who was N'kari?

Drasanil
05-12-2007, 18:01
who was N'kari?

N'kari is Malekith's pet Keeper of Secrets, but I was under the impression it had always been a deamon, and wasn't ever actualy mortal.