PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Trophies

Tringsh
04-12-2007, 19:20
My question is simple do space marines keep trophies? I ask because I'm working on a Death Wing character and I have started to model him with a trophy wolf tail taken from a successful duel with a space wolf during a 1 vs 1 Lion and the Wolf scenario. Is it in character?

Flame Boy
04-12-2007, 20:22
I believe some space marines are partial to taking trophies. The Ultramarines Tyranid Hunters do not have material trophies of their battles, but they have armour decorated in the honour of said achievements. I would imagine the Deathwing would not qustion the keeping of a token, as long as it is unlikely to corrupt the marine in any way. After all, if the Deathwing can carry feather tokens in honour of a famous engagement led by the company, I'm sure that other trophies would be accepted from time to time. I'd draw the line at running around festooned with Ork Choppas, but I think a wolf tail would be a good symbol of the traditional animosity between those two legions.

azrael22
04-12-2007, 23:09
I've always thought that keeping any trophy that has anything to do with chaos would be bad news for an Imperial force (SM, IG, WH, GK... so on and so forth) just because of the fluff that goes with chaos. Things like armor and weapons and bodies that belonged to chaos are burned, as they keep the taint on and around them.

I'd say a wolf tail, or any trophy that isn't chaotic, is fine fluff-wise.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
05-12-2007, 05:01
It is in character - I've read BL stuff where marines have had trophies. However, like azrael22 said - tainted items would be a no-no.

I wouldn't believe that the marines have a whole lot of room for goodies obtained over their lives, so it's probably best not to overdo it. They live a rather spartan existence for the most part, and turning their living quarters into something akin to a boot sale would probably not be looked at kindly.

TheHaunted
05-12-2007, 21:25
absolutely they take trophies..... yes man i play wolves and i still think that would be BA! plus very fluffy....

Kveld-Ulf
05-12-2007, 21:57
I've always thought that keeping any trophy that has anything to do with chaos would be bad news for an Imperial force (SM, IG, WH, GK... so on and so forth) just because of the fluff that goes with chaos. Things like armor and weapons and bodies that belonged to chaos are burned, as they keep the taint on and around them.

I'd say a wolf tail, or any trophy that isn't chaotic, is fine fluff-wise.

Although, Logan Grimnar's axe Morkai was taken from a Chaos Champion.

I think it really depends on the army, but since you're creating your own image in an army, it's up to you. Just make it reasonable. The wolf tail seems very reasonable.

Eetion
05-12-2007, 22:48
Also the Gauntlets of Ultramar were once chaos as well, were they not?
But yeah... nice idea... Very appropriate.

Redd Wolf
05-12-2007, 22:56
My question is simple do space marines keep trophies? I ask because I'm working on a Death Wing character and I have started to model him with a trophy wolf tail taken from a successful duel with a space wolf during a 1 vs 1 Lion and the Wolf scenario. Is it in character?

I run my wolves with feathers as trophies thats cool by me. And I have a Wolf lord holding up a thousand suns head. I think that trophies are a good thing to add to models and make em look cooler. if nothing else you could add em to your banner to signify conquests.

Tehkonrad
06-12-2007, 01:29
well space wolves have wolf tail trophies as well. in my opinion you should have a wolf head or paw

Xgladar
06-12-2007, 03:50
Of course they take trophies,theres lots of background art depicting space marines with hanging skulls,personal decors(books,chapter iconography,purity seals,etchings in their armour...)

Nazguire
06-12-2007, 04:58
Really depends on the Chapter and its beliefs.

I can't see the Ultramarines running around with severed heads, skulls, looted weapons or whatever. I can see symbolic trophies, such as a sword with a pommel that has a sculpted Tyranid head, or a mosaic on the armour that portrays a victory over the Orks, but nothing too barbaric.

More...hmm feral? Chapters such as the Flesh Tearers I can definately see hanging skulls from belts, tattoos or ritual scars from battles. The Mortifactors I would find it hard to believe that they DON'T take skulls or femurs or whatever with them from a victorious battle.

Space Wolves obviously again have different beliefs and rules when it comes to trophies. Look at the Axe Morkai for example. Or all the wolf tails and teeth that they have festooned around them.

But more 'civilised' Chapters like the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists, or indeed, the Dark Angels would have more symbolic trophies: mosaics, bas-reliefs, scriptures, sculpted trophies etc.

TheMartyr451
06-12-2007, 07:34
I don't think Morkai or the Gauntlets of Ultramar were daemon weapons though, so thats probably why they took them. Weapons used by chaos warriors, yes, but not possessed by daemons.

Hellebore
06-12-2007, 07:42
the axe morkai was a daemon weapon reforged by the Iron Priests for Grimnar's use. So although it started out as chaotic everyone thinks its been 'purified'...

Hellebore

Tehkonrad
06-12-2007, 08:15
Yeah and in the original WD article about him it says that it still "glows with the dark power of Khorne"

Gdolkin
06-12-2007, 14:27
Often wondered about that, i think maybe it's one of those details that retconning would just draw more attention to, so they just overlook it.. but Logan Grimnar's axe 'glows with the dark power of Khorne'? "Re-forge" a daemon weapon? The Flesh Tearers or Relictors wouldn't get away with it..

Death Before Dishonour
06-12-2007, 15:27

well I have Imperial fists and what I tend to do is an idea I picked up ages ago for my bretonnians is any battle where something of significance happens etc my librarian kills the enemy leader etc or some such I try to give that character some trophy either on him or on his base to signify the event, can work out quite well so long as you don't go overboard.

Tringsh
06-12-2007, 19:16
Cool, thanks for the replies guys. I may upload a pic just so you chaps can see what im working on.