PDA

View Full Version : Killing blow question

samw
16-09-2005, 23:23
I fully understand the rule in the vast majority of cases, however there is a point that I've pondered over.

Killing blow works if a model with the ability rolls a six on the to-wound role against a roughly man-sized enemy model. My question is, what if a model had such a high toughness, and the attacker such a low strength, that a 6 can't wound? e.g. a ST2 killing blow attack against a man sized T6 character? (This could actually happen, a scraplauncher shot against a chaos lord with armour of tortured souls).

Can you cause a killing blow? Or is the opponent simply too tough?

Tom - Heretic
16-09-2005, 23:37
Hmm...that's an interesting one. Too hazard a guess, and a guess it is, I'd say yes. For entertainment value if nothing else.

Izram
17-09-2005, 00:11
I dont have my book with me; Does it say "any hits rollings a 6 to wound" or "Any rolls wounding on a 6"?

I would say yes, probably because its worded in a way that says if you roll a to-wound die and it is a 6 all wounds are removed no armor save.

samw
17-09-2005, 00:19
My only concern about that answer is the ruling on poison. Rolls of a 6 to-hit automatically wound, but it was ruled by GW that if a 6 was a miss (as it can be with poisoned shooting attacks) then natural rolls of a six did not count as poisoned.

T10
17-09-2005, 16:08
The Poison thing is explicitly handled in the Lizardmen army list - in short, a ranged attack requiring 7+ or more to hit does not trigger the poison effect even if the initial roll to hit *must* be 6 (followed by a second roll).

There has been some discussion as to wether a low-strength poison attack (e.g. a Swarm) can wound high-toughness targets (e.g. a Dragon) with the poison effect. The general consensus* is that yes, a S2 poison attack has the chance to wound a T6 target.

As far as Killing Blow is concerned, the To-Wound chart indicates "no chance" for a S2 attack wounding a T6 target. Since the rules for Killing Blow does not take into account this particular situation I believe it is appropriate to fall back on the general rules.

In conclusion - no, Killing Blow will not work if there is no chance of wounding the target.

-T10

*) I disagree.

Festus
17-09-2005, 17:24
Hi

I have to disagree here, I am afraid...

As the KB kicks in as soon as the to-wound-roll is a natural 6, it is possible to KB something you are not normally able to wound.
The reasoning goes:

Although you have no chance to wound , you still roll the dice to wound, and so you are able to score a natural 6.

Thus KB works IMO.

Greetings
Festus

mageith
17-09-2005, 19:30
I'm with Festus on this one-strictly speaking.

§ilent§torm
17-09-2005, 20:05
I'm with Festus on this one, as well. But one note- isn't the scraplauncha S3? So it doesn't really matter, because it still wounds T6 on a 6 anyways. I don't think this situation ever comes up, because there is no S2 Killing Blow attacks in the game, nor are there T7 man-sized models either.

At least, none come to mind right away.

Izram
17-09-2005, 20:05
Killing blow is supposed be the lucky hit; david kills goliath, the odd oppurtunity to cut ones oppent's head off etc.. I think it is also in the spirit of the rules that it should work.

branchwrath
17-09-2005, 20:17
The Scrap Launcher is S3....

DeathMasterSnikch
17-09-2005, 20:26
Im sure through the effects of magic items/spells this could comeup.

In regards to KB being allowed id say yes. Mainly due to the humerous value of a 'tough' creature geting killed in 1 shot from a weak model.

anarchistica
17-09-2005, 21:03
Killing Blow always kicks in on a roll of 6 to wound, regardless of S/T values.

And ugh, they should've kept the 5th edition version, together with charging around a corner and the whole chariot auto-destruction thing this has been one of the worst changes.

xancithus
17-09-2005, 23:09
I'm not sure... what does it say about S 2 vs T 6 in the rule book? does it say there is no chance of wounding or that you don't roll? if you don't roll then its obviously a no.. if you do i'd say yes it works.

Angelripper
17-09-2005, 23:36
As fluffwise Killing Blow means to chop someones Head off I vote for yes even if you cannot wound him on a six. Just as stated before it's the lucky punch.

anarchistica
17-09-2005, 23:47
I'm not sure... what does it say about S 2 vs T 6 in the rule book? does it say there is no chance of wounding or that you don't roll? if you don't roll then its obviously a no.. if you do i'd say yes it works.
It's not relevant. The rule states that if you have the Killing Blow skill and you roll a 6 on a roll to wound you inflict a Killing Blow.

Izram
18-09-2005, 00:20
Well, it IS relevent; his question that is.
If the book said that if the chart says NA, don't roll, you would never killing blow because you would never roll the to-wound die.
I don't believe it does though.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-09-2005, 04:57
It doesn't say anything about it.
Most of the time people just don't roll because there is no point. With KB there is a reason to do it.

But imo KB doesn't have anything to do with the to wound chart anyway. It's a completly seperate mechanism that just happens to work off the same dice roll(thats a yes, it works).