PDA

View Full Version : Chaos SOS

Big TM
04-12-2007, 20:41
Hi, Im new to fantasy and dont know what to do. I want to collect chaos, and want to do tzeench list for 1000pts but dont Know what to put in it. planning on getting myself some stuff on thursday. budget of 30. dont know what to get
please help me, any ideas? don care about mortals/deamons/beasts have both army books.

Havock
04-12-2007, 22:12
30 pounds?

Errrr, that's enough for like, one unit.

How do you want to play, lots of models, few models? And you really have to decide if it's beasts or mortal, because daemons are expensive.

Mortal? I'd say knights, you'll definately use those. Beasts? I'll let someone else give you solid advice, but a box of beastman seems like a solid choice in that case :)

MarcoPollo
05-12-2007, 00:48
Buy a beastherd for starters.

Khorghan
05-12-2007, 00:53
Yeah, go for the herd

W0lf
05-12-2007, 17:48
5 man knight unit.

no hordes army is complete without them.

Big TM
05-12-2007, 20:06
Hi again, I allready have a beast herd,k but used i once and didnt like it.
I think Im going for mortals. Thought of this earlier...

Exalted champion
runeshield
additional cc weapon

sorceror
lvl 2

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

5 marauder horsemen
command
shields

5 marauder horsemen
command
shields

3 screamers

5 hounds

what do you think?
also I don't really want to use beast men.

Kadrium
05-12-2007, 20:11
You really don't have a "hammer" unit that can decisively win a combat. Marauders are a suitable anvil for sucking up wounds and catching charges, but they're not going to overpower anyone in combat.

Screamers, while awesome, are expensive for a 1k game, and 3 are of limited use.

I'd cut down on some of the marauders, exchange the screamers for furies, and see about finding the points for some knights.

Perhaps re-think the magic items you've purchased for your champion. If you're putting him on foot, a helm of many eyes and greatweapon is a good combo.

If you're mounting him, a commonlist magic weapon and enchanted shield will make him nasty in combat and not very expensive.

You can probably afford to lose one of the marauder horse units. For the other, give them flails instead of shields. A US10 unit that has WS4 and St5 on the first turn of combat makes a heck of a flank charger. Drop the command upgrades aside from the musicians, so they can be charge bait without sacraficing too many points.

W0lf
05-12-2007, 20:16
Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd, Shield
176 pts

Exalted champion
MoT, Halberd, steed, shield
192 pts

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

5 marauder horsemen
Musician, flails
81 pts

5 marauder horsemen
Musician, flails
81 pts

5 Chosen chaos knights
Standard, Musician, MoT
275 pts

998 pts.

better.

Big TM
05-12-2007, 21:56
I like that list but might want to stick some more infantry in, maybe instead of the 2nd marauder horsemen unit. How about...

Exalted champion
MoT, enchanted shield, berserker sword

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

5 marauder horsemen
Command
shields

5 Chosen chaos knights
Standard, Musician, MoT
275 pts

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
05-12-2007, 22:10
I wouldn't bother making anything chosen until you get to 2000 points.

theunwantedbeing
05-12-2007, 22:11
If you have a beastherd you may as well use it to be honest.
They make damn good screens, plus they rent that bad in combat when the gors have extra hand weapons and the ungor have spears (potentially 3 attacks per base...even at st3 that'll do damage)

Knights are good to make points up but they'll eat that little 30 budget of yours in a single go.

The berserker sword is bets when you are on a chariot/dameonic steed due to the larger base so more models in contact so more attacks.
A simple flail is generally better than any magic weapon.

Your army is a full 14points under what you are allowed.
That gets you flails for your maruader horsemen easily for example.

Havock
05-12-2007, 22:44
the berserker sword isn't really worth it on a normal cav base, why not go for armour of damnation + halberd? Perhaps even a spell familiar to have more chance at getting the juicy spells?

Big TM
06-12-2007, 07:17
In that case, what about...

Exalted champion
MOT
enchanted shield
biting blade

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

24 marauders
light amour
sheilds
command

5 marauder horsemen
flails
shields
command
5 knights
musician
standard
war banner

5 hounds

5 hounds

5 hounds

Kadrium
06-12-2007, 14:50
At 1k, your marauder units don't need to be so big. Cut them down to 20 and save those points for somewhere else.

Your marauder horsemen are still kitted out badly. Lotta wasted points.
#1, they don't need shields AND flails. Just the flails.
#2, they don't need full command. Just musicians to help them with charge baiting.

You also have no need of a unit of marauder horsemen and three units of hounds. 1 unit of each will be sufficient at 1k.

It seems like what you're making here is half of a 2k army, not a 1k army. You have lots of screening units and lots of infantry blocks that are sized for larger games, but proportionately they're out of whack for a 1k list. You're also not supporting them with enough combat-winning hammer units. You're fielding 4 support units, 2 anvils and 1 hammer in that list. You need to balance that out more.

Try something like...

1 unit of 20ish marauders - full command is ok here
2 units of 5 knights
1 unit of marauder horse - flails and musician
1 unit of warhounds
1 unit of furies

See where that puts you for points.

With those units, a knight unit and a marauder unit can work together in hammer/anvil style, and the other knight unit can work with the marauder unit in bait/counter style. The warhounds screen/support where needed, and the furies can march block, and war machine/mage hunt.

W0lf
07-12-2007, 19:03
a single Tzeentch character and no marked units?

much prefer my list (suprise)

Marauders quite frankly suck.

but hey look at my armys track record... its not like i know what im doing..