PDA

View Full Version : Army project idea- desperate for help!!!

roadrippers
04-12-2007, 21:16
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing a pre-heresy style sm army like what doghouse has done with his pre-heresy nightlords (using WFB chaos warrior legs) and i'm gonna use FW's red scorpion upgrades and do a pre-heresy style army with a scorpion as their icon (i know the red scorpions aren't from the heresy but i liked the idea so much i just had to do it!). I'm not looking for a rule-based army i'm just doing this for fun but later i might incorperate some army list into the project (once i learn the rules for 40k that is). I was thinking of calling them the crimson stings however after calling them this i realised i hadn't actually decided on thier colour scheme. Does anyone have any ideas?:confused:

AdmiralDick
05-12-2007, 00:26
well firstly, Crimson Stings is really not a good name. it's individual components are very cheesey and clichéd and together they just sound weird and half hearted. as possible inspiration for 'similar' names, who about; the Venom Drinkers (they can take anything you throw at them and still pound your skull in), the Desert Wounds (their hatered for the enemies of the Emperor is like an accurséd oasis that never dries up), the Rubicund Trace (a scorpion packs an aweful lot of punch for its size). none of which are particularly good, but are much fresher sounding. but they're only suggstions , so if you are still dead set on Crimson Stings, then that's cool.

secondly, you need to be entirely aware of what you're expecting to do. by definition a pre-heresy army can be one of only 18 Legions. there are no other pre-heresy space marines. so i'm going to assume that what you mean by that is that you would like to make an army that is possibly a second founding chapter and thus has some strong connections with the Heresy era, which largely plays out in their armour and equipment.

its likely that people will give you a lot of flack for something like that, but if you are doing purely because you like the models and the painting and have no issue with the fact that it doesn't sit well with the background then it shouldn't bother you. (i quote liked the idea that cropped up a while back of a pre-Heresy, proto-Deathwatch kill team, made up of a small number of members of legions).

as for what colour scheme to go with. there are two fairly obvious answers. either paint them like scorpions (e.g. greens) or like the environment that scorpions live in (e.g. dusty yellows). i would go for the latter, but you could manage some interesting combos of the two (predominantly green armour with yellow helmets for veterans/officers). suggestions for other colour schemes are more dependent on more details from you.

Forlorn
05-12-2007, 15:22
Couldn't you do a pre-heresy army that perhaps became cut off and isolated therefore becoming a unique force seperate from the original?

My suggestion would be to use it as a theme for your army and go with it.

Colors would range widely from browns and tans to black. Perhaps a pure hand to hand army with little ranged weapons.

Bellygrub
05-12-2007, 16:51
as for what colour scheme to go with. there are two fairly obvious answers. either paint them like scorpions (e.g. greens) or like the environment that scorpions live in (e.g. dusty yellows). i would go for the latter, but you could manage some interesting combos of the two (predominantly green armour with yellow helmets for veterans/officers). suggestions for other colour schemes are more dependent on more details from you.

Most scorpions are brown, black and redish.

Unless you want to paint them like the 80's band...but that's just a whole nother story.

Aflo
05-12-2007, 16:56
Alternatively, you could claim they are one of the two pre-heresy chapters that were expunged from the records, although to pass it off as more than distictly lame, you'll need to come up with some killer fluff and imagery.

roadrippers
05-12-2007, 17:00
cheers for all the comments
After reading what you guys have said basing my army on one of the already existing eighteen legions does seem a little more sensible, anyone got suggestions as to which one? I'm thinking either emperor's children or night lords. If anyone has background on the either of the two or any other suggestions at all please let me know :D

roadrippers
05-12-2007, 17:20
My friend jsut suggested that i do the Alpha legion which I really like the idea of so if anyone has background on them it would be nice if you could tell me please:D

CaptainDaris
05-12-2007, 17:24
Alphas-love the infiltrating,sneaky way, the officers are well vesed in tactics, so if lord dies then they don't go "what are we going to do?". Yeah, it does sound good to have tham be a split off.

AdmiralDick
05-12-2007, 17:42
Most scorpions are brown, black and redish.

i wouldn't have gone so far as to say they are mostly red, but i agree they are often brown and sometimes black. but there are still a very large percentage of species that are sandy yellow (sometimes almost clear), as it is better for camouflage in sandy areas.

but then there are scorpions that glow in the dark. so the colour would really be up to you.

My friend jsut suggested that i do the Alpha legion which I really like the idea of so if anyone has background on them it would be nice if you could tell me please:D

well, lets not throw the idea out of the window yet. the original members of the 2nd founding chapters were marines from the Heresy wars, not just those whose chapter name did not change. so the Flesh Tearers and Angels of Absolution are as directly connected to the events as the Imperial Fists and Salamanders are. it just takes a little more explination is all.

however, if you've really changed your mind and want to do a 'genuine' pre-heresy army then the one you will want to pick is dependent on how you would like them to play and how you'd like them to look. also, its worth bearing in mind that all pre-heresy SM are good guys, so you can pick from any of the 18 legions.

i don't really follow the books, but i believe the 'Legion' book that BL is due to be released in the not too distant future is about the Alpha-Legion in the time before the Heresy. and there are plenty of Pre-Heresy armies out there to look at. search coolminiornot.com for either alpha legion or pre heresy and you'll turn up loads.

roadrippers
05-12-2007, 17:50
well, lets not throw the idea out of the window yet. the original members of the 2nd founding chapters were marines from the Heresy wars, not just those whose chapter name did not change. so the Flesh Tearers and Angels of Absolution are as directly connected to the events as the Imperial Fists and Salamanders are. it just takes a little more explination is all.

Well which founding chapter's successor would have scorpions incorperated into their iconography do you think?

Forlorn
05-12-2007, 17:57
Roadrippers-

I did a Space Wolves army similar to my previous post where part of the Chapter was sent to an off world and was cut-off and forgotten about. Instead of the SW grey I did black armor with yellow shoulderpads and made the army more feral and tribe like using alot of bearded heads and Celtic blue face paint.

You idea can work if you put a little time into it and come up with a fun back story. A themed army is always interesting so perhaps use that as a starting point and decide if the army prefers certain tactics or weapons. You could junk up certain vehicles as such a force would have to salvage scrap from other vehicles to keep a limited number running. There armor would be worn and tattered as they would not have received supplies. Something along those lines.

AdmiralDick
05-12-2007, 17:59
that's a much harder question to answer. some Legions had successor chapters that were very similar in style and appearence (the Blood Angels and Dark Angels), others had ones that could hardly have been more different (the Imperial Fists and to a lesser extent the Ultramarines), and there are none that use the scorpion motif or anything similar in the 1st Founding. but nothing is absolutely set in stone here. its just a matter of how many raised eyebrows you can put up with.

if you want no one to question it, then Imperial Fists or Ultramarines are the way to go. but if you feel strongly that it should be connected to one of the others beause you like the background or playing style, then no one realistically has room to argue with you. if you say they are a 2nd founding chapter from the Iron Hands, then that's what they are.

is there a particular style of play you like? do you like the appearence of one of the Legions particularly?

RavingGuard
05-12-2007, 18:04
thats some good advice, take it.

roadrippers
05-12-2007, 18:40
cheers for all your help and comments. I'll keep that in mind :p

boogle
05-12-2007, 18:44
If you do do Alpha Legion at some point, then wait until 'Legion' comes out for a bit more expansion on them at the time of the Heresy

roadrippers
05-12-2007, 20:52
If you do do Alpha Legion at some point, then wait until 'Legion' comes out for a bit more expansion on them at the time of the Heresy

what's legion?

I've come up for an idea for the colour scheme. I was thinking that when at those scorpions with black exo skeletons they seem to have a slight purple shine to them so i was thinking of incorperating this into the main armour colour. What do you think? Still stuck for a decent name :confused:

boogle
05-12-2007, 22:47
Legion is the Horus Heresy book about the Alpha Legion

roadrippers
06-12-2007, 17:21
I've come up with a rough storyline but i dunno whether it sucks or not.
A librarian called Scorpicus from the original ultramarine army visits the battlefields of the heresy and is disturbed by odd psychic waves that these places are giving off. He soon discover that the souls of the loyalist spacemarine corpse had been calling to him in despair. He gathers the armour of these marines and, using as strong psychic powers as he can conjure up, he attaches the lost souls to armour. From this he forms an army of damned marines with nothing but armour to represent their flesh.
Similar to the thousand sons concept of empty armour, i know, but the idea arised and i thought it worked pretty well. Also, to fit in with their ghostly attributes i thought the name Spectres of Scorpicus would fit in quite nicely with a choice of two battle cries or mottos that i came up with. The first one's quite tacky "we are the ones who go bump in the night" which speaks for itself really and the second one was "Even after death we serve".

Feedback and comments would be appreciated :D

Forlorn
06-12-2007, 20:35
I've come up with a rough storyline but i dunno whether it sucks or not.
A librarian called Scorpicus from the original ultramarine army visits the battlefields of the heresy and is disturbed by odd psychic waves that these places are giving off. He soon discover that the souls of the loyalist spacemarine corpse had been calling to him in despair. He gathers the armour of these marines and, using as strong psychic powers as he can conjure up, he attaches the lost souls to armour. From this he forms an army of damned marines with nothing but armour to represent their flesh.
Similar to the thousand sons concept of empty armour, i know, but the idea arised and i thought it worked pretty well. Also, to fit in with their ghostly attributes i thought the name Spectres of Scorpicus would fit in quite nicely with a choice of two battle cries or mottos that i came up with. The first one's quite tacky "we are the ones who go bump in the night" which speaks for itself really and the second one was "Even after death we serve".

Feedback and comments would be appreciated :D

Not bad but the empty suits of armor would lean to the side of Heresey would it not? Would they not be considered heretics?

I like the name you came up with and I like the "Even after death we serve".

Perhaps using a similar theme you could make this a chapter that decided to only follow Scorpicus and no other in service to the Emperor.

roadrippers
06-12-2007, 21:05
Not bad but the empty suits of armor would lean to the side of Heresey would it not? Would they not be considered heretics?

I like the name you came up with and I like the "Even after death we serve".

Perhaps using a similar theme you could make this a chapter that decided to only follow Scorpicus and no other in service to the Emperor.

yeah i thought that the chapter might get heretical accusations but the legion of the damned and the black dragons have similar concepts. I like your a lot but the thing is if they don't follow my storyline how would the spectres part of their name fit in? :confused: