PDA

View Full Version : Dell's XPS 600?

Penitent
16-09-2005, 23:28
Hi all,

In the next month or so, I'll be buying a whole new computer. But, I'm torn on whether I should, with the help of a friend, build one myself (first time), or go with Dell's XPS 600.

I have in mind a PC that supports SLI, though I'd probably start with one graphics card, to offset initial cost.

My theoretical home-build would come out to around $1141, and would include SLI capability, an Athlon64 Clawhammer processor, and one GeForce 6800GT, to start.

Dell's XPs comes out to around $1512 after educator discount, for a P4 HT, SLI capability and one GeForce 6800.

Which would you go with? Dell is obviously more expensive, but I'm also getting a warranty, and a guarantee that I can't screw anything up.

Also, if I leave open the option for SLI, how worried should I be about getting a dual-core processor now?

Yodhrin
16-09-2005, 23:43
If you have a knowledgeable friend, or even just one of those "PC Building For Dummies" books, selfbuild. Always selfbuild if you have the oppertunity.

Retailer Warranties are a scam, plain and simple. You will get a manufacturer's warranty with the parts, usually good for one year. The odds of anything expensive in your PC dying within three years, if cared for properly, is highly unlikely.

Dont be intimidated by the prospect of messing something up. Just go slow and be gentle, building a PC these days is just like building a mechano set - read the instructions and slot the right parts into the right holes.

Dual-core processors are not something a gamer needs to be looking at for a long while, unless they are worried about the size of their e-wang or like to run multiple CPU-intensive programs in the background in addition to a game. The SLI/single card is a solid way to future-proof yourself for a few years without blowing a feckton of money, and I would even suggest dropping down to a 6600GT and a AMD3800 CPU. The 6600GT supports all the same software features the 6800 does, but isnt quite as good at AA/FSAA, neither of which is really worth the efforst anyway. You're better off just cranking up the resolution and texture quality, which gives the same effect with a better framerate.

fredmundo
18-09-2005, 13:24
Great advice there, always always self build..... you pay /$2-300 for you warranty, of which the manufacturers warranty will cover most of it (Asus Mobo's, and most HDD you get 3 years on now anyway.), if it fails and it's out of warranty you can spend the saving from the warranty on a better part to replace the failed bit, which gives you a better system.
The SLi compatibility is a good thing to help you future proof so go for the capability. I'd go AMD too, althoguh i think the Venice core is a better one than the clawhammer, but don't quote me as I don't get as much time to keep up to date with hardware as I used to.
What ever you buy make sure that you buy a good quality motherboard (I go with Asus), good quality memory (lots of good brands; Corsair, Crucial and Kingston to name a few), and a good quality power supply, this will stop you from getting lots of miscellaneous problems 6 months down the line.
As Yodhirn said building a PC now is very much like meccano, all your slots and connectors are 'keyed' (non-symetrical so you don't plug the power in the wrong way etc), so if you feel like your forcing it you probably are....
The other plus sides to building your own are you get all the exact parts you want, you have a more upgradable system at the end of it (With Dell etc you have to replace the who thing in one go pretty much) which give your machine a longer life span, and it will cost you less in the long run to keep it an OK spec machine.
And as long as you've go the PC your on now to fall back on you can get advice here from many a geek if your having problem with setting it up.