PDA

View Full Version : task force ranger guard

llama rider
04-12-2007, 22:38
i am currently trying to build an apoc army that contains all of the 140 rangers and the 20 delta force operators that were in task force ranger in somalia in 1993 (black hawk down)
does anyone have any tips on building humvees and black hawk helicopters to represent chimeras and little bird choppers to represent sentinels
and also the infantry rangers and delta force themselves
any tips at all would be so much more than welcome
thanks

flyfire29
04-12-2007, 23:02
Stormtroopers seem like a good bet for the rangers. As for the Deltas, you could possibly run a squad or two of stormtrooper sargeants and make your own datasheet for them. Say they have a better BS or I than normal stormtroopers, for example. A chimera seems like a good bet for a humvee, with the heavy bolter and the ability to have 1-3 people shooting out of the sides/top.

llama rider
04-12-2007, 23:59
thanks
what about modeling though

swordwind
05-12-2007, 00:24
Use actual Ranger and "Delta" minis?

Wraithbored
05-12-2007, 00:27
In apocalypse you could use rules for Eldar Pathfinders for your snipers. As for minis swordwind has a good idea.

llama rider
05-12-2007, 00:39
I never knew these minis existed
where can I find them?
what are they from?
do they have different rules?

swordwind
06-12-2007, 00:19
TAG (www.theassaultgroup.com) do modern special forces and are fairly good quality. Theres a few other companies that do SF but I cant think of any off the top of my head except Mongrel, but I think they just do basic infantry for the US and USSR.

Cuthullu
06-12-2007, 06:44
Westwind Productions also has a good line of Vietname and Modern US Marines, take a look.

Brother Loki
06-12-2007, 09:56
How about taking a look at the Elysian army list in IA3, or the D-99 list in IA4? They both have valkyries as transort and vultures as air support. Use hardened veterans as Delta troops.

For models you could look at either using real-world models from manufacturers like those suggested above (there are literally dozens of different figure manufacturers) or for a more GW-store frendly approach I would base the rangers on Cadian models, and the Delta operators on Elysians from Forgeworld.

Lord Balian
06-12-2007, 15:16
Fun idea for an army.
For the helicopters, how about a speeder with some slight mods, and using the appropriate weapons for a sentinal?

I think the chimmera is perfect, and if you want to take it a bit further model it with wheels rather then the treads.

Keep in mind, if you go with non GW models it won't be official tourny legal. But that's not your usual gaming scene then don't worry.