PDA

View Full Version : The Thread That No-one Has Ever Heard Of - Part II

vforvenator
05-12-2007, 02:25
This is a thread in the same spirit as this ancient one (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7483), the idea being to list or nominate any obscure films, books and/or albums that have particuarly rocked your boat - and that surely deserve a wider audience.
Obscure being the operative word - these should be things you won't normally find in anybody's must-see lists, or by the checkouts in Asda.

For myself: first off I'll mention the Australian film Bad Boy Bubby (1993). I won't cite the director (alright, Rolf de Heer, if that means anything) or actors 'cause most of them you probably won't know from Adolf, but this is a pretty unique, moving and deeply unsettling tragi-comedy about a 'simple' mentally ill man drifting through society after accidentally killing his horrendous parents... If you're not easily offended, I hope I haven't put you off, 'cause this is actually a brilliant film.

Next: the album Deaths' Design by Diabolical Masquerade (2001). Along with Dan Swano, DM is the largely one-man black metal face of Blackheim, although this particular album has a line-up of over a dozen, and is not strictly black metal, or even metal at all in places... Supposedly intended as the soundtrack for an un-made film of the same name, and released as such, Deaths' Design is a metal symphony divided into 29 movements, subdivided into 61 individual 'tracks' of about a 1-2 minutes in length. Sounds interesting? It is...
(Also check out their album Ravendusk In My Heart for some harder ambient black metal stuff).

Lastly, for books I'll cite two graphic novels, linked by the same artist: the first, The Luck in the Head, adapted by M. John Harrison from his own short story, is a weirdly brooding tale of existentialism seen through the eyes of a disillusioned would-be or once-was Bohemian poet, set in a ravaged City, in a post-apocalyptic world of superstition.
The second is The City, by James Herbert: a climactic continuation of his Rats saga, this is again a dark and brooding story, set in a broken city much closer to home than Viriconium - and like the previous book, it is visually portrayed in wonderfully grotesque style by fantasy illustrator Ian Miller, an artist who doesn't get nearly as much public praise as he deserves, but whose work you'll probably have seen many times, especially if you've ever read the original Realms of Chaos tomes...

Anyway, that's my three cents - went on for much longer than I'd planned, sorry - but now its your turns...

pwrgmrguard
05-12-2007, 02:41
RA Salvatore's book The Highwayman.

No one i've met knows he writes anything other than Drizzt Do Urden.

Drogmir
05-12-2007, 03:17
X- The Man With the X-ray eyes.

Very creepy low budget sci-fi movie.

feeder
05-12-2007, 03:39
Scissorfight - Balls Deep. Extremely excellent backwoods rock, all stomp and crash and a song about pirates.

TheNZer
05-12-2007, 03:44
For books I'd Say the Keven(sp?) Catran series of War stories they follow four generations of Morans (an NZ family) each who join the army and how they each try and shape their destiny and step out from the shadow of their Parents.

snurl
05-12-2007, 04:38
There's an old Steve Reeves movie from back in the 60's called "The thief of Bagdad", or some folks call it "The Blue Rose". It is way overdue for a CGI remake. The story is pretty good sword and sorcery stuff, but when the film was originally made the effects were poor, laughable nowdays.

Another good old movie is "The Magic Sword" starring Basil Rathbone. Some new up-to-date CGI could make it into a big hit.

Forbiddenknowledge
05-12-2007, 09:33
An old TV program on Channel 5 called "The Tribe"

I personally loved it, the only think putting me off is each season contains 52 episodes... I'd never get round to watching them all :(

Saw something that reminded me of it the other week, I really did like it.

kortholaxthedamned
05-12-2007, 09:38

I personally loved it, the only think putting me off is each season contains 52 episodes... I'd never get round to watching them all :(

Ah-ah! I loved that show..

Post-apocalyptic Home and Away? Yes please..

TheBigBadWolf
05-12-2007, 15:03
The film hardware, the setting is amazing, they did rip off 2000ad though.

Shadowseer Crofty
05-12-2007, 15:47
Music-wise: Firewind. I discovered them recently thanks to metalhammer, and now they're one of my favourite bands. They're a power metal band that are slightly more sane than Dragonforce, though still have the technical/melodic guitar sounds that made them great (so they are for those that thouht Dragonforce was just taking the speed and insanity of power metal waaay too far). They have five albums-(in chronological order) Nocturnal Symphony, Between Heaven and Hell, Burning Earth, Forged by Fire and Allegiance. They have had four different vocalists, though hopefully the latest, Apollo Papathanasio, will remain with them for future albums.

Books- Deadstock and Monstrocity by Jeffrey Thomas. How an author that good hasn't become well known is beyond me, though with recent works (Deadstock and the forthcoming sequel, Blue War) from Solarisbooks (a part of BL publishing) he is getting more recognition. Punktown is a brilliant futuristic setting based on some of the darker aspects of our society, gang culture, the division of rich and poor and racism. Despite being futuristic sci-fi, it also dabbles in the occult, both books involving a race of extra-dimensional 'gods' known as the Outsiders. Monstrocity is in the first person, told from the perspective of an office worker who is drawn into occult matters by his girlfriend, who sees it as just a bit of fun, and begins to see evil in everything. Deadstock is told in third person and follows Jeremy Stake, private detective and veteran of humanity's first inter-dimensional war (the Blue War), as he is employed by a japanese businessman to find his daughter's only-one-of-its-kind-in-existence living doll. But the doll is far more than that. Both are brilliantly written, and give a good feel for the setting and the terrors faced by their protagonists.

de Selby
05-12-2007, 17:35
Hey, I didn't know The luck in the head was now a graphic novel. It's a fairly odd book.

I have difficulty recommending obscure things because you never know what others have read/seen. Last time we did one of these threads, I suggested the film Vampire Circus (1972), only to discover it's actually quite popular on imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067924/

Nephilim of Sin
05-12-2007, 17:49
Attic Expedtions (Movie): A little known (around here at least) psuedo-horror movie. While the acting is stale (except for Seth Green, who is great), it is a complete trip of a movie. I still have no clue how it ended, and, despite the horrid lead actor, it was well worth watching.

requiem
05-12-2007, 18:46

Oh how I thought I was the coolest cat ever! I loved that show, pitty no-one I knew did. :( I would totally waste my time watching all the episodes. :p.

My vote goes to the self titled album by Hot Action Cop. I don't know if they are well known or not but I love them. For those who are unaware, they are a band that, IMO, don't have a specific 'sound'. The songs are all so different, ranging from a cooler version of Shaggy (remember that cool guy?;)) to a RHCP feel then they move to a more a pop punk-esque sound. And that is all from the one album.

Hicks
05-12-2007, 19:17
CD: Viperine They only released one album before disbanding, but oh boy is this stuff good if you are a metalhead. I heard one song and was hooked. Sadly, the CD was pretty much only availible from their website, so I guess it's impossible to get now. I think they were from Scandinavia, so if you live there you might be able to find one.

Movie: Equilibrium, it didn't get any exposure at all here, it might have been different in other places. It stars Christian Bale and it's excellent Sci-Fi with some of the most flashy and original combat scenes ever. The story itself is pretty moving and it could be considered a vengeance flick.

The Song of Spears
05-12-2007, 19:21
OK, my fav's

Movies: Ginger Snaps (horror) as well as Ginger Snaps 2 and Ginger Snaps back. All low budget, high grade acting goodness. I love how they portray young goth girls and their angst for the normal lives they have, and then it gets nice ans twisted when life really does become a horror show!

Music: um... Glen Danzig's - Black Aria I and II both very good. Goes to show what a good musician can go if he branches out.

Books: The Black Company - amazing epic style writing of the exploits of a whole merc company instead of just one hero.

Movie: Equilibrium, it didn't get any exposure at all here, it might have been different in other places. It stars Christian Bale and it's excellent Sci-Fi with some of the most flashy and original combat scenes ever. The story itself is pretty moving and it could be considered a vengeance flick.

Good pick! This is actually a alternate version of 1984, so if you have not read that check it out. And the math+guns+martial arts was pulled off quite well, even the ending was well done, no cheesy drawn out martix crap.

kyussinchains
05-12-2007, 19:24
Attic Expedtions (Movie): A little known (around here at least) psuedo-horror movie. While the acting is stale (except for Seth Green, who is great), it is a complete trip of a movie. I still have no clue how it ended, and, despite the horrid lead actor, it was well worth watching.

good movie! over here in britain it's called the slightly clunkier 'horror in the attic'

movie wise I'd recommend Primer, donnie darko for adults and the two main characters are electronic engineers so I'm biased...

music wise.... so many! most of the stuff I'm into wouldnt get featured in metal hammer, let alone the top 40.... I'm going to say the Meads of Asphodel, black metal hawkwind with a louie armstrong cover? it works!

book wise... God's Debris by Scott Adams, I think a fair few of you lot will have heard of it, but it's still not as huge as I thought it would be, it's a real thought provoking read, almost philosophy

de Selby
05-12-2007, 19:34
I think equilibrium is qute well known here in the uk. Like 1984 but the good guys have guns so they win...

Primer is good, and I have a soft spot for the Ginger Snaps trilogy.

Ozorik
05-12-2007, 19:47
Ginger snaps? Pfff I think I actually feel asleep during that mince, even my girlfriend hated it and she likes that sort of dross normally.

I have no idea how obscure my choices are but I'll suggest them anyway :)

My choice of book is 'The stars my destination' also known as Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester. Basically a science fiction version of the count of Monte Cristo. The central character is by far the best realised I have ever come across in any book, anti-heroes dont get any better. Its great.

My choice of album is 'Drunken lullabies' by Flogging Molly. Folk punk at its best.

My choice of film is Them!. Classic 50s B movie, whats not to like about 20 foot long atomic ants?

de Selby
05-12-2007, 20:22
:D I suppose we're quite unlikely to come across any obscure films/books/music that everybody loves...

slaaneshes_own
05-12-2007, 22:28
Donnie Darko is an amazing film, I liked it when I watched it the first time round, and I re-watched it a few times and most things clicked into place then!

Possibly not quite so well known, but my favourite childhood film - "Laputa - Castle In The Sky" - part of the "Studio Ghibli" collection, by the same guy who did Howls Moving Castle and Spirited Away (I think) - its all about pirates and miners, and trying to get one over the evil military and the government, and returning to Laputa etc. I thoroughly recommend it - I never tire of watching it - I've watched it since I was 3, and I still love it!

Joe

Ozorik
05-12-2007, 23:32
I think I remember watching that about 15 year ago at least. Is that the one with lots of airships?

Templar Ben
06-12-2007, 00:04
I won't go with 2 girls 1 cup because that will just get me in trouble.

I guess I will have to say El Topo.

marv335
06-12-2007, 00:45
Music wise, Pomona Lisa by The Ziggens, SoCal Surf rock at its best.
Books, Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling,
Film, The Last Starfighter.

Arkzein
06-12-2007, 00:51
TV - Cold Lazarus and The Last Train. Both short run drama series on UK TV (ran in 1996 and 2001 respectively I think). Absolutely fantastic, managed to track the second down (Took a hell of a lot fo work though) but the first was the VHS age and there never was a DVD release so no luck.

Music - Probably Nerina Pallot's work, never met ayone who even recalls her radio hit from last year "Everybody's going to War" but loved both the albums she has put out thus far, my favourite artist. Gutted I missed her both here and in Glasgow when I couldn't attend.

When it comes to authors and film I can't recall owt obscure that sticks in my mind, the above three are definately my pet gems I keep to myself though that come immediately to mind when this question is asked. ;)

*edit* And I love the last Starfighter! Isn't it usually on TV a couple of times a year, definately seen it earlier on in this one anyway. :)

The Laughing Man!
06-12-2007, 01:32
far too many people I have met have never seen Robocop and thats not even obscure so there is no excuse.

the only stuff I can think of at the moment are old cartoons from when I was a kid:

The Bots Master
Conan the adventurer
Earthworm Jim
Freakazoid
Phantom 2040

Been on a retro cartoon binge recently guess they're not really obscure but people forget these things.

matthewmw64
06-12-2007, 06:58
The onlt Obscure film I can think of (to me at least) is The Ninth Gate. Pretty good mystery/Horror thriller/Neo noir movie that actually stars Johnny Depp.

LeeJerrum
06-12-2007, 07:10
Space Above and Beyond.

scratchbuilt
06-12-2007, 10:06
[QUOTE=vforvenator;2154039]
For myself: first off I'll mention the Australian film Bad Boy Bubby (1993). I won't cite the director (alright, Rolf de Heer, if that means anything) or actors 'cause most of them you probably won't know from Adolf, but this is a pretty unique, moving and deeply unsettling tragi-comedy about a 'simple' mentally ill man drifting through society after accidentally killing his horrendous parents... If you're not easily offended, I hope I haven't put you off, 'cause this is actually a brilliant film.
/QUOTE]

Ugh! That movie is about as much fun as hearing your parents having sex in the next room. Not Fun AT ALL!

If you liked that, check out Julian Donkey Boy. Or the Piano Teacher

Everyone here needs to watch Zardoz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QssJsIpQ6s

Forbiddenknowledge
06-12-2007, 10:31
Space Above and Beyond.

I really like that, as well.

Equilibreum (sp) had some of the best fighting scenes in it, the Gun-Kata. Plus, cool modified guns :D

The Last Starfighter was a fantastic film, I always watch that when its on again.

Book - no one I know seems to have heard of it, but the Wi'tch War Pentology, by James C Clemens. Better than LOTR, IMO, I picked one from the library, liked it, read them all, then went out and bought them all at once. 40 on books...

pookie
06-12-2007, 10:31
@ scratchbuilt - id still pref them to be doing it next door rather than anywhere else!

anyone remeber that ewok film??? thats pretty obscure, although i cant say i remeber it much i did enjoy it ( i was a kid tho at the time! )

The Laughing Man!
06-12-2007, 10:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QssJsIpQ6s

Damn effin right they do! no one ever believes me when I tell people how awesome this film is.

The gun is good! The penis is evil!

anyone remeber that ewok film??? thats pretty obscure, although i cant say i remeber it much i did enjoy it ( i was a kid tho at the time! )

Think it was called Battle of Endor or something.

burning crome
06-12-2007, 10:49
Films- anyone that what to be cool should go watch the original (French) taxi and Oldboy
Unknown’ish good SF films go with Darkcity and Ghost in the shell Innocents (every one watched the first one) Enigma (not the one with the W11 sub) and A Scanner Darkly pretty good but weird.
Books Mm my user names give what I like a way a bit but, Altered carbon/ The left hand of darkness/ In the use of weapons are all good stand alone books. As for will Gibson I’d go to the bbc site and find their radio version of Burning chrome and pattern recognition (coz I’m lazy).
Ok here a history lesson for every one under twenty the best PC games where Total annihilation and Blade runner?

pookie
06-12-2007, 14:07
Damn effin right they do! no one ever believes me when I tell people how awesome this film is.

The gun is good! The penis is evil!

Think it was called Battle of Endor or something.

DOH! ( best homer voice! ) how could i have forgot that! right need to go get a copy for my nepews.

forgotten hero
06-12-2007, 15:02
Ugh! That movie is about as much fun as hearing your parents having sex in the next room. Not Fun AT ALL!

sigged! ;)

-Rob

m1s1n
06-12-2007, 22:44
Nice to see an old thread make its way back to the surface.

A fantastically horrible horror film I adored from my teenage years is called "The Stuff" (1985). The premise is a parasitic ice cream that turns you into a zombie. The film seems to be a veiled assault on American drug culture, addressing the "everyone is doing it" atmosphere of the 80s.

The Velvet Teen's Out of the Fierce Parade is one of the most fantastic post-grunge "I want to be Radiohead's The Bends" California indie-rock albums I have ever heard. Their newer material, after the death of their drummer, has tragically declined--spiraling into a mess of jumbled electronica and self-righteous poetry.

I'm going back to the well one more time with my book choice, throwing Neal Stephenson's "eco-thriller" Zodiac. Stephenson, famous for Snow Crash, gives us a wonderful look at a world of environmental terrorism and political turbulence. Highly energetic writing style, and very enjoyable characterizations builds this book towards a somewhat under-developed ending.

/I still love The Last Starfighter.

vforvenator
06-12-2007, 23:19
TV - Cold Lazarus and The Last Train. Both short run drama series on UK TV (ran in 1996 and 2001 respectively I think). Absolutely fantastic, managed to track the second down (Took a hell of a lot fo work though) but the first was the VHS age and there never was a DVD release so no luck.
*edit* And I love the last Starfighter! Isn't it usually on TV a couple of times a year, definately seen it earlier on in this one anyway. :)Cold Lazarus was good - Dennis Potter and dystopian future-shocks make for an odd combination, but it works. And The Last Starfighter is great Saturday morning stuff when I was a kid - that and Tron!

For myself: first off I'll mention the Australian film Bad Boy Bubby (1993).

If you liked that, check out Julian Donkey Boy. Or the Piano Teacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QssJsIpQ6s... Except those first two films by all accounts make you want to suffocate yourself with your own pubic hair after the first ten minutes (and I wish Harmony Korine would...)
Bubby at least was funny, in every non-PC way there is, and was ultimately up-beat in the that Forrest Gump was - except for the rape, incest and cat-smothering, obviously.
I've heard of Zardoz, though, and long meant to see it - especially now, thanks for that.

marv335
06-12-2007, 23:31
I liked Zardoz, it's one of my favorite Sean Connery films ( that and Outland)
I remember Last Train, it was a great premise and I'd have loved to see more.
I'm off to sea soon so I'm going to get a few more DVDs to watch and a few books too.
Anyone know any obscure (but good) cyberpunk?

Ardathair
07-12-2007, 07:26
Movie: Killing Time, I had it on VHS, can't find it anywhere now. Even tried looking online. :wtf: An Italian hitwoman is hired to take out a crime lord, the guy hiring her can't pay so he blackmails a gang of thugs to take her out after the job. Not everything goes as planned.

Book: Wolfsbane by Craig Thomas. Espianage, most of the characters are WW II vets. ten years after the war.
Rattrap by Craig Thomas was also pretty good. It is about an airplane highjacking in the 1970's, so many people will not get into it due more reacent highjacking situations.

Shadowseer Crofty
07-12-2007, 07:30
Anyone know any obscure (but good) cyberpunk?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I highly reccomend Jeffrey Thomas' Deadstock and Monstrocity, both available from play.com. And from what I've heard, his other works in the same setting, the Punktown anthologies and Everybody Scream!, are equally amazing, though I am yet to track down copies (I believe they are available from amazon though)

ozzfan
07-12-2007, 07:38
Everyone should watch 'Withnail and I', I consider it to be the funniest film of all time.

Watch It!!!!

kyussinchains
07-12-2007, 09:13
Everyone should watch 'Withnail and I', I consider it to be the funniest film of all time.

Watch It!!!!

YES!!!

"we've gone on holiday by mistake"

scratchbuilt
07-12-2007, 10:16
... Except those first two films by all accounts make you want to suffocate yourself with your own pubic hair after the first ten minutes (and I wish Harmony Korine would...)
Bubby at least was funny, in every non-PC way there is, and was ultimately up-beat in the that Forrest Gump was
I've heard of Zardoz, though, and long meant to see it - especially now, thanks for that.[/QUOTE]

I actually reccomend the piano teacher, but its defo not a feel good movie.
Julian donkey boy, is a bit too much in my opinion. I didn't enjoy bad boy bubby either though.

If you like all the 80's nostalgia movies, don't forget willow. (Originally star wars was going to be all dwarfs as well - oh well).

Sympathy for mr vengence
Irreversible
Sonny Chiba (cheesy but good for fans of kung-fu movies)

Purgator Sovereign
07-12-2007, 13:48
YES!!!

I've got this hanging around in my hard drive, haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I also recommend Bruce Robinson's other movie with Richard E. Grant, "How to get ahead in advertising". It's marvellous! Plus, noone has ever heard of it :)

reds8n
07-12-2007, 14:16
Old Australian film Dogs in Space, starring Michael Hutchenson (sp?)-- oh, you know the guy from INXS who died having a ****. Classy guy, clearly :p, but a really good film.

I'll echo the shout out for Irreversible, but it really, really x10,000 is not for the faint hearted.

Oh, and for classic comedies, I'd kill for Bringing Up Baby. Can't go wrong with Hepburn and Grant.:cool:

Nephilim of Sin
07-12-2007, 14:27
If you like all the 80's nostalgia movies, don't forget willow. (Originally star wars was going to be all dwarfs as well - oh well).

Really? I haven't seen that at all in the rough drafts I have read. Then again, it would be a lot better then the rough drafts and editions that later became New Hope. So long as all the Jedi Bendu Dwarves ran around screaming "Utinni!". :D

Although it is obscure now, I don't know about then, there was one movie back in the 80's called Lady in White about a ghost. It scared the living crap out of me when I was a kid, because it was just so damn eerie. I would love to get a copy, but I imagine it is in morditorium...

On the music front, I have to nominate "Low-Fidelity All-Stars", of the "Battleflag" fame. I have yet to meet another person that owns the cd, and while wierd, it is defintaly trippy techno-rave. Not for everyone, but if you like that, give it a try.

kyussinchains
07-12-2007, 17:55
irreversible I believe holds the "honour" of being the most 'walked-out-of' movie of all time, I can see why, it's a disgusting waste of time!

sukigod
07-12-2007, 18:52
There's some nice picks here -Zardoz!

It's hard to judge what's obscure when you're on the fringes of popular interest lke most of us are.

Movie: Rock and Rule - Animated US movie.
Album: Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch (this is very outside my norm)
Book: Hmmmm. Stephen R. Donaldsons Gap series. 2nd place would be Larry Nivens Inferno. A book about Hell from a science fiction writer - cool.

Hausdorff space
08-12-2007, 06:24
Back Of The Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ozzfan
08-12-2007, 09:39
YES!!!

"Monty you terrible *ahem*!"

I've got the screenplay lurking around my desk, so I go on and quote forever.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-12-2007, 11:26
I reccomend Saor Patrol. Most excellent Folky Gaelic Rock!

m1s1n
08-12-2007, 18:38
irreversible I believe holds the "honour" of being the most 'walked-out-of' movie of all time, I can see why, it's a disgusting waste of time!

Agreed. It plays up the popularity of Memento's style, but just becomes pretentious and horrendous as you continue to suffer through its violent and horribly misogynistic ending/beginning. Still, it was well shot and fits in this thread.

SV_Harlequin
08-12-2007, 18:58

Watch It!!!!
and of course play all the various drinking games that go with it.

Loads of Cyberpunk stuff I can think of, 1 sort of major called Altered States, 2 series, Max Headroom - very cool. Wild Palms - featured William Gibson at one point.
A TV series called Ultraviolet - made by Channel4. Vampire series featured the guy from Coupling and Pirates of the Caribbean. Yes the British used to make really good TV series at one point and now we don't.
Ripping Yarns TV series featuring Michael Palin - Paroday/Spoof of prewar School Boy Adventure series.

Music wise I know stuff that would be considered obscure for the mainstream - some very good Goth/EBM/Synth stuff: Covenant - from Sweden owe a lot to Kraftwerk.

Rasputina - Steampunk, Cello rock, classical group, occasionally do covers of mainstream stuff like Pink Floyd.

Great series of Novels by an man called Alastair Reynolds, similar vein to Iain M Banks if you crossed his Culture series with 40K - Gothic Space Opera stuff.

James McGee - author of a series of books about a Bow Street Ruuner (first semi Police Force in London) cross between Sharpe and Bond.

Shadowseer Crofty
08-12-2007, 19:48
Rasputina - Steampunk, Cello rock, classical group, occasionally do covers of mainstream stuff like Pink Floyd.

Sounds rather like Apocalyptica to me, though they're cello metal and have done a lot of Metallica covers (their first album was entitled "Plays Metallica by four Cellos), some of which sound brilliant (The Unforgiven), but Master of Puppets doesn't sound quite right (though this could be because my mind was comparing it to the S&M live version, which I heard before the original and think is the best version, so its still worth a try). Their later stuff is great too, with various guest vocalists including Corey Taylor in the song "I'm Not Jesus" (here (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhOo8KcrXw))
and Lauri Ylonen and Ville Valo for "Bittersweet" (here (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkNVUuIf57w))
Lauri Ylonen's voice works amazingly with the cello.

One thing-what do you mean by "Steampunk" when describing a band?

Triggerdog
09-12-2007, 04:47
I like the movie Bug which almost no one I know has seen. Its a great suspense movie and really makes you think. Also the CG animated movie Renaissance is really good. It has some all star voice work (Daniel Craig and Ian Holm for example) and a fantastic art style (everything is either pitch black or stark white).

Recently I read a book titled "Famine" which follows a detective as he investigates a series of rather grizzly murders. The title of the book comes from the fact that the detective in anorexic because seeing dead bodies makes him nauseous and not want to eat. Its a real race against the clock to see if he'll be able to find the killer before his body wastes away into nothing.

Music wise I listen to alot of mainstream-ish stuff but I also have a thing for Aphex Twin (great to listen to if you play an adeptus mechanicus army or if you like the schizophrenic aspect of chaos) and Jesper Kyd (he did the music for the Hitman games and also for the recently released Kane and Lynch)

Dodgy Ed
09-12-2007, 17:18
Obscure yet strangely brilliant

If (1969ish); bizarre and strangely watchable movie about teenage rebellion in a grammar school in the sixties, not everyone's cup of tea but a great ending.

Aberystwyth Mon Amour et al; a selection of noir style novels set in modern(ish) day Aberystwyth, only moves from funny to truely brilliant if you have actually spent any time in Aber.

SV_Harlequin
10-12-2007, 06:08
If is fairly well known, there's even an half page review etc about the DVD verison out in this month's Uncut Magazine

Forbiddenknowledge
10-12-2007, 21:01
Old, old but funny cartoon series - Bucky O'hare.

Amiright? :P

The pestilent 1
10-12-2007, 21:28
Old, old but funny cartoon series - Bucky O'hare.

Amiright? :P

That show was, in fact, awesome.

See. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Mh7hhaqhk)

marv335
10-12-2007, 22:36
buckaroo banzai!
For.
The.
Win.

PotatoLegs
10-12-2007, 22:41
Ah-ah! I loved that show..

Post-apocalyptic Home and Away? Yes please..

AHAHAHA the Tribe? Oh dear god :D I went out with one of the girls that was in the later series. Man that was a while ago... last I heard she was engaged in Scotland or something

/I still love The Last Starfighter.
Same <3

My own submissions: Music, I've listened to Ockerville River for the first time the other week, awesome stuff. Sorta Alt. Country/Folk stuff that I've been developing an appreciation for. Other than that, I've been dominating Cult of Luna and this local band called Dial.

Movies; I've got a palce in my heart reserved for Hulk Hogan's Suburban Commando :D but right now, best flick in my opinion; Kairo/Pulse, the japanese version. So bleak and dark...

Books; currently reading Greg Egan's Distress. So incredibly dense on the sci-fi concepts. Its like the story is jsut a flimsy framework, put there for him to just contemplate concept after concept after concept. Awesome stuff. May have to try and read Schild's Ladder again after that, first time I got two pages before giving up on trying to figure out his geometrical explanation of folding time.