PDA

View Full Version : Need some input/SM/GK

Preacher
05-12-2007, 14:17
I am currently starting my first SM army and wanted to do something a little different. I base all of my army list on some kind of theme or fluff. So here is the idea for the SM.

I am painting them in a Grey Knightsesque theme. My idea and fluff is a Grey Knight 7th company. Basicly, they are Grey Knights "in training". I use the regualr SM rules with a couple of traits to help with the fluff. All of my vehicles will bear marks of the Imperium. My list will be very troop heavy.
I guess what I want to know is, what do you guys think? I can't find my Daemonhunter codex, so I'm not too sure about the Grey Knight fluff. So, if anyone has any input on that matter I would love to hear it.

I will post some pics soon of my troops.

Thanks in advance.

BladeWalker
05-12-2007, 15:04
A Grey Knight "in training" does not see battle like scouts in SM chapters do. The purity and uncorruptiblity tests conducted on possible recruits eliminates most of them, only a small fraction of them make it to Grey Knight status. Once they are given all the gene-seed implants (rumored to be from the Emperor himself) they are trained and purified until they are given their armor and weapons, then they are assigned to a Justicar and begin fighting alongside their brothers.

There is a chapter of Marines with a homeworld of Titan, dedicated to the Ordo Malleus, they are the Red Hunters. There is hardly any fluff on them so you have the freedom to define the chapter in any way you choose. I use a Red Hunter army with Grey Knight allies, my Red Hunters are the "warrior-monks" of Titan and they tend to the holy buildings and relics of Titan as well as guard the true location of the Grey Knights fortress. My Red Hunters are also assigned to Ordo Malleus Inquisitors on a company basis for purity checks throughout the galaxy, sometimes for decades at a time.

I would encourage you to embrace the fluff of the Red Hunters or another similarly themed Chapter, the idea of unproven and unpurified troops going into battle as Grey Knights in training just doesn't jive with me. I also advise reading over the fluff of the Deamonhunters Codex to give you more of a feel of the recruitment process of Grey Knights.

Preacher
05-12-2007, 15:23
Thank you Blade Walker,
I guess I should have been a little more specific in my post, but I didn't want to drone on. The Red Hunters sound pretty much sound like exactly what I was going for. My army was to be more of a defensive army, gaurding a monastary when the Knights were out and about.
Is there any place I can read more about the Red Hunters or other chapters that follow that fluff, basiclly Ordo SM.?

BladeWalker
05-12-2007, 15:34
There really is a lack of fluff on the Red Hunters, but like I said that just leaves it open to your ideas of how they should be. I made my Hunters into a personal army of my Inquisitor and use them to add more bodies and heavy firepower to the army when needed for different games. All I have on the Red Hunters from searching the internet and stuff is that their homeworld is considered Titan, which is the location of the fortress monastery of the Grey Knights and their logo is a white skull with a black Inquisitorial "I" on it.

I'm glad you found my reply helpful, I would gladly go over any other ideas with you. Maybe if we generate enough cool fluff about Red Hunter type chapters (that work with the Ordo) then they will be included in a future updated codex.... :D