PDA

View Full Version : How do you represent the Veil of Darkness or similar equipment???

Necronlord3
05-12-2007, 16:58
I'm curious how best to represent the Veil of Darkness as WYSIWYG equipment. How do you do it or how have you seen it done?

I've never ran a Necron army without the Veil and at first I simply represented it by painting the cloak on my Lord, black. Then I began to worry that if I attended an official tournament that that may not be good enough for WYSIWYG purposes. So I built a large base with the Monolith portal to represent a teleporting doorway opening up and my Veiling unit walking through it.

Is there another way or a better way?

Mercer
05-12-2007, 17:04
I don't think there is a actual offical way. You just declare to your oppoent at the start of a game which wargear your using. The only model I know in the Necron range which actually phyiscally displays wargear is the Lord with the ressurection orb.

I might be wrong on that one as I'm pretty new to warhammer myself and fielding Necrons.

Mercer

Sir_Turalyon
05-12-2007, 17:14
Why would anybody need to represent it? I think you overworry.

Captain Micha
05-12-2007, 17:41
Really, given that the lord's cloak is accumulated power anyway. I'd say it's perfectly represented by that. and so far as I know you do not have to wysiwyg a necron lord. Destroyer body and or orb aside.

Forlorn
05-12-2007, 18:05
Cotton! Lots and lots of black cotton! :)

I would agree with the previous suggestions and you simply announce what wargear you have and who has it.

de Selby
05-12-2007, 19:05
My necron lord has a sort of swirly cloak made out of modelling putty. I imagine he just twirls himself up in it and disappears. But I think you just have to tell whoever you play what the deal is, if you think the WYSIWYG is unclear.

tangerinealtoid
05-12-2007, 21:23
Use gray-colored cellophane. I know a guy who uses iridescent cellophane, glued into cones, to represent holofields on falcons, and veil of tears would similarly be represented.

Swiftsword Bonaparte
06-12-2007, 02:11
My necron lord has a sort of swirly cloak made out of modelling putty. I imagine he just twirls himself up in it and disappears. But I think you just have to tell whoever you play what the deal is, if you think the WYSIWYG is unclear.

That sounds very interesting. Could you possibly send me a pciture of your conversion?

Fideru
06-12-2007, 02:40
Saw a person with a dark cloak over his Lord to represent it. (it being veil of darkness)

Grizzled
06-12-2007, 10:24
It always seemed to me that most of the Necron wargear was really just the Lord using some of that good ol' unfathomable Necron power to do cool stuff. But some sort of grey or silvery cellophane thing is the first thing that came to mind if you must do it WYSIWYG.

Maybe you could saw a Lord into two pieces and have actually stepping out of a portal? And the portal could be black and purplish instead of green, or something like that. Hm, now I want to build that.

Necronlord3
14-12-2007, 23:53
Well I do have to disagree about simply announcing Necron Lord equipment. I have examples of the WYSIWYG equipment I have done to my Lords available in my Gallery(linked in my signature.)

This is my opinion of what official Tournament WYSIWYG guidlines should be for Necron Lord equipment.

Models available with Lord Equipment:
Staff of Light (LE Necron Lord, Destroyer Lord)*
Chronometron - watch positioned pyramid on wrist - (LE Necron Lord)*
WarScythe (Necron Lord with Warscythe, Destroyer Lord)*
Disruption Field -Right Hand 'Claw' - (Necron Lord with Warcsythe, Destroyer Lord)*
Destroyer Body (Destroyer Lord)*
Phylactery - Scarab piece positioned like watch - (Destroyer Lord)*
Phylactery - Necklace type equipment - (LE Necron Lord)*
Resurrection Orb (Necron Lord w/Orb, Destroyer Lord)*

Equipment available through paint job:
Gaze of Flame (burning head)*
Lightning Field (Lightning bolts on body and/or Mask)
Solar Pulse (Paint Staff like energy and use lighting effects on the Lord paint job)
Phase Shifter (Paint a greenish glowing body in part or whole of the Lord model)*

Equipment that should be customized:
Veil of Darkness*
Nightmare Shroud

* - indicates equipment I have represented on models in my Gallery.

catbarf
15-12-2007, 00:10
Cotton ball
Base
Black spray paint

Ta-da, cheapest HQ choice ever.