PDA

View Full Version : Any high armor open topped transports available for an Inquisitor and his lads?

Inquizitor Aohd
05-12-2007, 18:33
Even if I have to take it as a heavy support choice?

I have a great Idea for a conversion, but I need a good open topped Transport to base it on.

Rahveel
05-12-2007, 19:01
does the Imperium have any open topped vehicles? (apart from the sentinal)

none that I can think of, but you could always add a small bit that you could claim is a mini void sheild generator, making it efectivly closed topped. or where you going for something that would actually let you assult the turn you disembark? how about a LR or LRC in that scenario?

Fenxis
05-12-2007, 19:05

In the past there's been GW conversions of Rhinos for the use by Arbites created by chopping the roof off and installing a gate on the back. Combine that with a soft top / camo and you might have something to worth with that satisfies the rules.

Grimtuff
05-12-2007, 19:06

Basilisks
Griffons
Landspeeders (technically)
Penitent Engines

Rahveel
05-12-2007, 19:07
do rhino's count as open-topped still when they open for passengers to fire? thought that was an old rule..

Basilisks
Griffons
Landspeeders (technically)
Penitent Engines

oh, forgot the bassi, and dont have a WH codex. thought the grif was gone now....

floyd pinkerton
05-12-2007, 19:24
theres the salamander recon tank, and the FW IG gorgon as well

azimaith
05-12-2007, 19:24
And many FW open tops
Beaten to it

Fenxis
05-12-2007, 19:25
do rhino's count as open-topped still when they open for passengers to fire? thought that was an old rule..

Don't recall if there were any rules for Arbites Rhino or if it was a "just-for-fun" conversion...

Inquizitor Aohd
05-12-2007, 19:28

none that I can think of, but you could always add a small bit that you could claim is a mini void sheild generator, making it efectivly closed topped. or where you going for something that would actually let you assult the turn you disembark? how about a LR or LRC in that scenario?

I want to be able to shoot out of it is all.

(haven't played since the new rules. Shooting out of an open topped vehicle is still a thing you can do right?)

floyd pinkerton
05-12-2007, 19:29
h, and there's the centaur artillery tractor from FW

Blue Orphen
05-12-2007, 19:29
Well, I seem to recall something about Marines firing out of a Rhino, and how it doesn't count as open-topped because of the power armor.

Which would mean that if non-power armored models fired out of a Rhino, it would count as open-topped that turn.

Unless that is the "old rule" that Rahveel mentioned...

Rahveel
05-12-2007, 19:33
anyway, so obviously I forgot to take alot of things into account. to the orriginal poster's question, does anyone know of an OT transport he could take? ohh, what about a Gorgon? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/gorgon.htm

Inquizitor Aohd
05-12-2007, 19:39
anyway, so obviously I forgot to take alot of things into account. to the orriginal poster's question, does anyone know of an OT transport he could take? ohh, what about a Gorgon? http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/gorgon.htm

That is a really cool model.

I am tempted to get one for my orks.

EVIL INC
05-12-2007, 19:45
I think the command salamander would fit the bill the best. The rest might work as well, but are ideally suited to other jobs. An Inquisitor and his command squad would most likely stick with a smaller faster vehicle that can get them where they need to go the fastest I think.

Inquizitor Aohd
05-12-2007, 19:51
I think the command salamander would fit the bill the best. The rest might work as well, but are ideally suited to other jobs. An Inquisitor and his command squad would most likely stick with a smaller faster vehicle that can get them where they need to go the fastest I think.

But could it transport an inquisitor and his unit? (rules wise)

EVIL INC
05-12-2007, 20:03
You know, I'm not sure:confused:. If not, I'm sure you could use the model and vdr it. I would have absolutely no problem if an opponant wanted to use it if it was allowed by rules or not as to me it would be perfectly fluffy and Ican see no way they couldgain any unneccessary advantages from it. Worst case scenario, they sit still and shoot heavy weapons from servitors out of it which would make it the first tin can to pop on my list.:evilgrin:

Voleron
05-12-2007, 21:21
Well, if you want to transport him, there's always the Centaur transport. As long as you're packing 5 models or less, it'll work.

Culven
05-12-2007, 21:28
Well, I seem to recall something about Marines firing out of a Rhino, and how it doesn't count as open-topped because of the power armor.
Which would mean that if non-power armored models fired out of a Rhino, it would count as open-topped that turn.
Unless that is the "old rule" that Rahveel mentioned...
This is covered in the vehcile rules of the fourth edition rulebook. It lists when and if the Transport counts as Open Topped.

But could it transport an inquisitor and his unit? (rules wise)
No, the Salamanders (Command and Scout) are not Transport vehicles.

How many models do you want to be able to fire from the vehicle? The Rhino and Chimera will allow two models to fire from the top hatch.

Spacker
05-12-2007, 22:16
Well, if you want to transport him, there's always the Centaur transport. As long as you're packing 5 models or less, it'll work.

The Centaur is only a transport option for an IG Command squad or Stormtrooper squad - an Inquisitor and retinue is neither of these, so cannot take one.

Even a Gorgon cannot carry an Inquisitor, it has a specific list of allowed units which are all IG units.

Both of these vehicles have their rules in Imperial Armour Volume 5.

The only option for an open-topped transport for an Inquisitor would be to use VDR, or if your opponent will let you use a Centaur despite it's rules.

And as to the "Arbites Rhino", there's the Repressor - but it's only a transport for Sisters of Battle squads now (rules in Imperial Armour Volume 2), so again it's not use to an Inquisitor and retinue.

IAMNOTHERE
05-12-2007, 22:19
In friendly games use what you like. In a tourny, ask the organisers.

MuttMan
05-12-2007, 22:27
I think he wants a assault-oriented transport. For the open topped thing, I say just stick with a land raider for assaulting when you disembark.

Voleron
05-12-2007, 22:28
The Centaur is only a transport option for an IG Command squad or Stormtrooper squad - an Inquisitor and retinue is neither of these, so cannot take one.

Argh, forgot about that restriction. Damn, I /really/ need to get a copy of IA5 already. Sorry.

Rikens
05-12-2007, 22:41
Rhinos count as open topped if you use their fire-points...

ehlijen
05-12-2007, 23:29
Gorgon?
Very high AV and open topped (but only the bad bits, not all the good ones :()
Might not be quite what your inquisitor is looking for as it's a superheavy though.

ctsteel
06-12-2007, 00:49
chimera might be handy as you can shoot your two models (presumably the special weapons) from the hatch, and have the rest of the retinue operate the lasguns on the sides, to give you an extra set of shots.

starlight
06-12-2007, 01:01
25 posts before the answer? Come on guys! :p

The Chimera is a standard transport for Inquisitors and is open topped if you pop the rear hatch. Done in one. :p

Inquizitor Aohd
06-12-2007, 03:22

The Chimera is a standard transport for Inquisitors and is open topped if you pop the rear hatch. Done in one. :p

Right, but does that mean I can shoot all my guns?

starlight
06-12-2007, 03:37
Depends on how far you move. :p

Very few vehicles can move their maximum move and fire all of their weapons.

Chimera crews can shoot the Main, Hull, and Pintle weapons, while the Passengers can shoot the Hull Lasguns and up to two weapons out of the rear deck hatch. How many you can fire depends on your movement.:)

IAMNOTHERE
06-12-2007, 05:49
If the vehicle moves at all the passengers may fire Zero heavy weapons.

Spacker
06-12-2007, 06:23

Not quite. 2 models can fire from the top hatch, and the lasguns can be fired by other passengers, but it is not open topped - it only counts as open topped for being shot at in the opponents turn if the firing models don't have good enough armour (which just means that the weapon gets a bonus on the damage chart, and blast weapons are potentially more effective too). None of the benefits that an open topped vehicle would get apply.

mistformsquirrel
06-12-2007, 07:52
Isn't there something called the "Repressor" from Forgeworld that has 6 fire points?

I'm only vaguely remembering it.

ctsteel
06-12-2007, 09:19
pics of the repressor
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Badger.htm

according to the FW site the rules are in IA vol 2

Son of Makuta
06-12-2007, 09:32
The Repressor's a WH transport. I think it does indeed have a bunch of fire points (the model has 6 firing slots on the top section) but has crap guns by itself.