PDA

View Full Version : Norse Marauders using Beastmen rules?

Green Grot
05-12-2007, 21:17
I've been thinking of doing a Norse Marauder raiding force but using the Beasts of Chaos army book instead of the Mortals one as I think the ambush and skirmishing rules fit the raiding force theme better. What do you guys think? Would you be willing to play against an army like this?

Hrogoff the Destructor
05-12-2007, 21:20
I would, as long as you tell me beforehand. I think the ambush and raiding rules would fit marauders really well.

Badbones777
05-12-2007, 21:56
That would seem to be the best option. Im busy writing an army book : Norsca for use against my mates.

Malorian
05-12-2007, 22:18
I think it's a great idea. As was said, make sure you let them know before the game, and you'll also want to convert them to make them 'different' at least in some way from regular marauders.

Nargrakhan
06-12-2007, 03:16
Yea. I'm 100% fine with that. It's only an aesthetic modification: and those are totally harmless – allowing for more modeling creativity.

As everyone before me has said, just tell your opponent. No reason why anyone would find it faulty... so long as you're not intentionally being deceptive - which I don't think you are. :)

Unwise
06-12-2007, 03:21
Sounds interesting, I like it. The question is though, what units do you plan on using?

Beasts = Norse warriors
Beastigores = Huscarls or other elite unit of viking type guys
Maybe some warhounds

It could get tricky if you want to use minotaurs, centgors or any of the larger beasts though.

I guess being chaos you can just use a base of beasts, then add in marauder horsemen easily enough. Not that a raiding party should have many horsemen at all.

Ethlorien
06-12-2007, 04:00
That's sound like a great idea; I'd be fine with it as well. What did you have in mind for units beyond just beast herds?

ZeroTwentythree
06-12-2007, 15:58
It could get tricky if you want to use minotaurs, centgors or any of the larger beasts though.

...werewolves... :D

tortoise
06-12-2007, 19:21
I'd be fine with it. Proxies never bother me, especially if the models still have the right equipment- a beastman profile is not that different from a marauder anyway.

I'd need to be able to distinguish between gors and ungors somehow though for tactical reasons.

Angry Lawyer
06-12-2007, 19:42
Mix and match for added uniqueness - field a few units of actual marauders, and then have the skirmishing ones as a specific type.

-Angry Lawyer

Little Aaad
06-12-2007, 19:42
Gors = Chaos Warrior head on marauders...
Ungor = Marauder Head...

Shoulder pads ong gors also

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-12-2007, 20:30
It's fine:) I have a friend who does just that. Using Gribbing Beast models(used to be my WAB army) and mostly using Beast of Chaos rules.

I also think that OnG rules could fit quite well if you wanted to.

Khorghan
07-12-2007, 00:52
lots of people do it(myself included once & a while)

Khorneflakes
07-12-2007, 06:43
I have norse berserkers in my mortal army using marauders with the beastmen stats and two hand weapons and they all have chaos warrior helmets with horns and the ungors have regular marauder heads and using beastmen spears and i have bent their legs to get them all in running poses. I also did the same with my 3 "marauder chariots!"

kyussinchains
07-12-2007, 10:33
beastherds - bondsmen
bestigors - huscarls
centigors - ulfwerenar
minotaurs/ogres/dragon ogres - bears/yetis
snow trolls and snow giants are pretty obvious
shaggoth could even be a mammoth

the shamans fit perfectly, covered in bones and runes, the characters are raw and brutal.... go for it!

mistformsquirrel
07-12-2007, 11:25
Seems like a cool plan to me <@,@> Good luck with it!

eagletsi1
07-12-2007, 14:17
Just be careful at tournaments. I made a Which hunter army using beastmen rules and human models. It seemed logical to me that human hordes with torches and flames would be a mob. And that human witch hunters counts as Beastmen heroes. In any case I got scored really low on fluff and theme because they said humans were not meant to use beastmen rules.

Wargamejunkie
07-12-2007, 14:29
That is simply someone being a prick. I might not like the idea one way or another but as long as it fits.

Urgat
07-12-2007, 19:51
As long as it's clear what is what, I'm always fine with such things, I actually dig them, makes for a nice change, in fact.

W0lf
07-12-2007, 20:46
im personally not a fan of these sort of things. By which i mean i personally wouldnt do it.

However its everyones hobby for us to each enjoy our own way and no one can take that from you!

If you like the idea then by all means do it, dont let others ruin the fun.